• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

New Powerful Painkiller Has Drug Abuse Experts Worried

Hydrocodone always gave me a more sluggish, more body loaded high compared to Oxycodone. I think it had something to do with the APAP, but then I think of how APAP by itself has no effect at all, no prominent effects anyway. It'll be interesting to see where this goes. Could they maybe be trying to push a new type of Oxycodone, something to replace it that is not as euphoric and abuse prone? Surely they know that won't stop the Oxycodone Express though...

And what is the point of creating more Pain Killers such as this? It's pure, like Oxycodone, so of course it's going to be abused and sold illegally. It's really just adding another drug to the Opiate arsenal, which is fine with me I'm all for medical discoveries, but it makes you wonder.

Cant wait for the day when hydrocodone comes out in contin fashion..........I prefer hydro to oxy any day :)

Hell, I prefer oxy over hydro, but I'm still excited about this. Sure hope it's not like OP.

I think it's great news from a medical standpoint that this is being made. From a druggie standpoint, I never did like hydros, I prefer codeine to it even, I'll be stickin' with my H when this comes out.

I never did like hydros, I prefer codeine to it even

Same here hydrocodone even at 50 + mgs were always weak for me and would gladly reach for codeine over it. In fact when given a choice at the docs for one or the other I'd pick codeine every time. It just goes to show how different metabolisms can be.

The tone of the article is the drug "experts" are people who do not want to see genuine pain relief, and any use of it is abuse. So I say screw the drug experts, those controlling bastards! People need pain relief and opiates, although addicting, can be safe if used responsibly for the purpose of pain relief. Abuse is another story, yet still safe when caution applies.

I love hydrocodone but I've only been using opiates recreationally for a couple months. I must say though 15mg hydro + vaping some quality herb = O..M..G definitely the best high Ive' experienced.

I love hydrocodone but I've only been using opiates recreationally for a couple months. I must say though 15mg hydro + vaping some quality herb = O..M..G definitely the best high Ive' experienced.

I wish I could enjoy that low of an amount like I use to...15mg just makes me crave for more. I don't even do Opiates often anymore, maybe once a month. Addiction, man...it throws your mental tolerance through the fucking roof.

I really dislike the non-medical view of this article. It makes it out to be that Norco is the devil even though all prescription narcotics have their downsides. As a chronic pain patient, I can see great potential in this new medication especially for people who seem to gain tolerance to the standard Norco doses available today. Also, from a patients point of view, doctors are more likely to prescribe this than simply jump from norco to oxy or other stronger opiates.

We're all allowed our personal opinion. And just because our tolerance is high where we don't get high or enjoy hydros anymore doesn't mean we're slaves to the dope. I live a fairly normal life but just haven't been able to get high on hydros in awhile. I use to enjoy them but that's just not possible anymore... Especially after you've been addicted to oxycontin. In the end I don't want to waste my time to cwe's on numerous hydros just for a mild high.

I got sober and my tolerance has lowered.... But I enjoy so many more drugs over hydrocodone. I rather be using roxicodone than any hydros or some heroin would be even better. Oxycontins, eh I love them but those are a bitch to get off and it eats a huge ass hole in your pocket when you keep going through OC 80's...

I feel like you are missing the point of the article. Again, it needs to be observed (as a priority) from the medical standpoint of how beneficial it could be. I have had my share of opiates as well and would never complain if I was given a script for Norco. The key to it and all other drugs is just moderation. I do see where you are coming from for the recreational aspect and respect that, but, as you said, we are allowed our personal opinions. It does not take very long for tolerances to drop a lot, 1-2 weeks is really all that is necessary so ultimately it comes down to the user and their habits. I am not trying to disrespect your opinion or your character, I am only trying to present the other side of the coin that I feel is more important.

I do hope that this comes to life in the medical field. Would truly be exciting IMHO! Thanks for sharing my numerically named friend!

I wish I could enjoy that low of an amount like I use to...15mg just makes me crave for more. I don't even do Opiates often anymore, maybe once a month. Addiction, man...it throws your mental tolerance through the fucking roof.

Yeah I'm hoping I can keep my tolerance [physical at least] low for quite some time, I only use 1 day 1 time a week. My schedule atm is two weeks on one week off.

I'm mainly a pothead so everything I do is with the weed. It's helped me keep my xanax tolerance at next to nothing. Although I never counted the days until...with xanax like I do with hydros. :\

I dont see why their making all these perscriptions in HUGE doses, when they could just be using more powerful medication

does 80mg of hydro/oxy really work better at stopping the pain than 10mg or some shit of hydromorph. or other opiate analogs that are more potent?

Surely taking such a super high dose of oxy is much worse than taking a regular dose of a much more potent drug..

I feel like you are missing the point of the article. Again, it needs to be observed (as a priority) from the medical standpoint of how beneficial it could be. I have had my share of opiates as well and would never complain if I was given a script for Norco. The key to it and all other drugs is just moderation. I do see where you are coming from for the recreational aspect and respect that, but, as you said, we are allowed our personal opinions. It does not take very long for tolerances to drop a lot, 1-2 weeks is really all that is necessary so ultimately it comes down to the user and their habits. I am not trying to disrespect your opinion or your character, I am only trying to present the other side of the coin that I feel is more important.

I do hope that this comes to life in the medical field. Would truly be exciting IMHO! Thanks for sharing my numerically named friend!

I wasn't missing the point of the article... The quote of mine you replied to had to do with another users comment which wasn't really directed to anything about the article, just hydrocodone. Its very pointless to me to take a high amount of a drug when you can have something much better... I know how tolerance ect works but I don't have to stop my regular habits so I can enjoy other less potent drugs again....I mean people telling others about how they should moderate their drug use is kind of annoying to me when in the end its the own users choice whether they do or not. I'm not knocking this new drug or the benefits it may have (even though it looks like more addictions is all it will bring). Again I'm not meaning to go off topic so ill just leave it at that..

I just wish they wouldn't make new drugs and just improve the ones we already have or most of all actually prescribe to people who need it.... I doubt any of our doctors will be prescribing this shit anytime soon. They barely even want to give you a prescription for T3's nowadays and the bad media coverage this new drug is already getting doesn't really help.

I wasn't missing the point of the article... The quote of mine you replied to had to do with another users comment which wasn't really directed to anything about the article, just hydrocodone. Its very pointless to me to take a high amount of a drug when you can have something much better... I know how tolerance ect works but I don't have to stop my regular habits so I can enjoy other less potent drugs again....I mean people telling others about how they should moderate their drug use is kind of annoying to me when in the end its the own users choice whether they do or not. I'm not knocking this new drug or the benefits it may have (even though it looks like more addictions is all it will bring). Again I'm not meaning to go off topic so ill just leave it at that..

I just wish they wouldn't make new drugs and just improve the ones we already have or most of all actually prescribe to people who need it.... I doubt any of our doctors will be prescribing this shit anytime soon. They barely even want to give you a prescription for T3's nowadays and the bad media coverage this new drug is already getting doesn't really help.

I understand more clearly, I thought you were more geared toward the article still. Also, I would never try to tell somebody how to do their drugs except in the aspect of what this forum is geared for, HR.

The bad hype comes from non-medical professionals who see a few select cases of people who become dependent on these medications and then they blow it up. Its a sad reality. They don't understand how it really is ok to become medically dependent (most doctors even expect it) if you are a chronic pain patient. All they hear is the word addict and whoever they are talking about is automatically stigmatized. Its sad.

On the other side, there are people who do abuse the system to get what they want and they know what they are doing is wrong but they are not bad people either. Just people who may need a little bit of help to get back to getting themselves sorted out. Or not. Its their choice and they are the ones who have to live with the consequences of their decisions, as does everybody else.

In short, I apologize for the miscommunication. Again, I was not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to show the other side/s of the story.

IMHO, it would be a major improvement if they just removed a lot of the un-necessary ingredients from the medications like the APAP. But, it seems that society is not run by whats best for the majority, but, by who pours the most money into the pockets of the minority (ie Legislators, corporations, etc...). Again, it makes me sad.

I understand more clearly, I thought you were more geared toward the article still. Also, I would never try to tell somebody how to do their drugs except in the aspect of what this forum is geared for, HR.

The bad hype comes from non-medical professionals who see a few select cases of people who become dependent on these medications and then they blow it up. Its a sad reality. They don't understand how it really is ok to become medically dependent (most doctors even expect it) if you are a chronic pain patient. All they hear is the word addict and whoever they are talking about is automatically stigmatized. Its sad.

On the other side, there are people who do abuse the system to get what they want and they know what they are doing is wrong but they are not bad people either. Just people who may need a little bit of help to get back to getting themselves sorted out. Or not. Its their choice and they are the ones who have to live with the consequences of their decisions, as does everybody else.

In short, I apologize for the miscommunication. Again, I was not trying to be disrespectful, just trying to show the other side/s of the story.

IMHO, it would be a major improvement if they just removed a lot of the un-necessary ingredients from the medications like the APAP. But, it seems that society is not run by whats best for the majority, but, by who pours the most money into the pockets of the minority (ie Legislators, corporations, etc...). Again, it makes me sad.

No need to apologize..its fine but thank you. I'm glad we're on the same page. I wish they would remove the APAP from medications as well. It would be a much better idea than just coming up with new medications. It would be a smart idea because even back when I was sixteen and had no HR knowledge well with cwe's I screwed up my liver badly but luckily it recovered... Removing the APAP would help out a lot of people so they don't end up in the hospital or dead. Not all people are as lucky as I once.... (With the whole abusing vicodins/lortabs without caring about the apap and then ending up okay in the end... Yeah how stupid I use to be).

I think it's wonderful that they are taking the apap out of hydro. The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not dr.'s will actually perscribe this. I know I've asked for something without apap after surgeries and have never got anything other than norcos or percs. It's odd: the medical field tells the population to be knowledgable and ask questions when concerning our health care, however when we are educated and ask questions we get looked at like we shouldn't stick our silly noses in their profession...

So if we have the tools to make these medicines less dangerous (taking the apap out so damaging the liver isn't another possible downside of taking these medications) and we do make them, let's hope that patients will finally have a say in whether or not they want to be consuming substances that can damage their liver.

Last edited:
I think it's wonderful that they are taking the apap out of hydro. The only thing I'm worried about is whether or not dr.'s will actually perscribe this. I know I've asked for something without apap after surgeries and have never got anything other than norcos or percs.

percoCET contains aCETaminophen.

I think any form of pure hydrocodone will definitely be schedule 2 and rare compared to regular Vicodin (which is schedule 3).

I wish Vicoprofen would be prescribed more frequently in Vicodin's place. Ibuprofen instead of APAP. Schedule 3.

Just found this on Wikipedia:

At one time one of the most widely prescribed painkillers, Percodan has largely been replaced by alternative oxycodone compounds containing acetaminophen (Tylenol) instead of aspirin, such as Percocet.

Why would there be such a prescribing thread?

percoCET contains aCETaminophen.

?

Yes, I know this, that's why I said that I hope they will actually perscribe it if it's available. Doctors tell me that there is nothing out there that doesn't have apap in if for after sugery pain, although I know that there is oxycodone without apap. Now that they have both medications without apap in them I do hope that patients will have more of a voice in the medication they would like to take into their bodies.

O yea i just heard about this shit! Woohooo! Its gonna be absolutley fantastic to experience a intense hydrocodone buzz.

New drug waiting for approval

Has anyone heard anything about this new drug? It was on the news (WTHR CH 13) last night, & they also said it was to replace Oxicontin? Just wondering if this news has travled all over because last night was the first I've heard about it. Then today I found this article.

New powerful painkiller has abuse experts worried:

NEW YORK (AP) - Drug companies are working to develop a pure, more powerful version of the nation's second most-abused medicine. That has addiction experts worried that it could spur a new wave of abuse.

The new pills contain the addictive painkiller hydrocodone. They pack up to 10 times the amount of the drug as medications such as Vicodin.

If approved, it would mark the first time patients could legally buy pure hydrocodone. Existing products combine the drug with nonaddictive painkillers such as acetaminophen.

Critics say abusers might crush the pills to get high. That's exactly what people do with oxycodone, which is the most-abused medicine in the U.S.

The pharmaceutical firms say the new drugs give doctors another tool to help patients manage pain. The companies also say patients will be more closely supervised.