• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Injection; IV Complications and Info MEGATHREAD & FAQ III Vs I Want Blood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think something is really wrong, but I don't know what it is exactly.

Admittedly, after reading the IV complications guide thoroughly, I realize now that I've been doing a few things incorrectly. Like, I have been using the same injection sites for a long time. Both sites are on the same arm, about an inch away from each other(both in the crook of my right elbow). Those are the only two veins that show for me and the only ones I can ever manage to register in, so those are the ones I was using. However, I started having complications with registering on the second injection site, and so for a week or so now, I have been using the same injection site. It still registers, but it takes more work than it used to. The other thing I've been doing incorrectly is using blunt needles at times. I don't use them A TON, but I don't use a fresh needle every single time either. I don't have access to a needle exchange where I live, and I only get fresh needles maybe once every few weeks or so. I do try to use fresh needles as often as possible, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Now, my right arm is hurting, I mean REALLY hurting. I can't straighten it out completely because the pain becomes too much. It hurts around the site I've been using, but like it's spread out if that makes sense? Also both sites are REALLY hard, and it extends a little bit up the inside of my elbow. I don't know if it's the vein there or what... the track marks on the old site are almost gone completely, and the one on the site I use now doesn't look infected or anything minus a LITTLE bit of redness, but in my experience that's normal with cuts. Or is it?

Mostly what I'm concerned about is that about a week ago (it was when I was still using both sites) I started to get REALLY sick. I thought it was cotton fever at first, but then it hung on, so then I thought it was just a flu, but it's still hanging on and it's not behaving like any normal flu I've ever seen or had. My symptoms are: almost complete loss of appetite, getting really cold and beginning to shake extremely violently - this happens at the very least twice a day and lasts for about 15 minutes or so - even if I'm in the sun or somewhere warm, extreme lethargy and fatigue, the absolute worst migraine headaches I have ever experienced, as well as the worst neck pain I have ever experienced (the pain doesn't seem to be located in the muscle, it seems to be located on top of my spine?! At least that's where it hurts when I touch it), insomnia despite the fatigue and lethargy, slight nausea, respiratory distress (coughing, shortness of breath, etc.)... and the thing that scares me most, is that when I stand up from sitting, or even when I'm sitting and do the smallest thing that requires the tiniest amount of exertion, my heart begins beating superhard and fast, to the point where I can hear it in my ears. It's really scary.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I also have a fever that comes off and on. It can go from 103 to 98 to 100 to 97 all in one day. This has been going on for about a week now, and there is no sign of anything getting better. It's not getting worse (minus the neck pain and cough, maybe) but it's definitely not getting better. On average, I'd say it's stayed at about the same level since it first started.

So could these two things be related, the sickness and the issues with my arm?

You should see a healthcare professional, it sounds like it could be an IV-related bloodborne pathogen.

Xbc, you really do need to get this checked out ASAP - what you are describing are the symptoms of an infection as tricomb said. If you introduce bacteria into the bloodstream they can lodge in various places (such as the heart valves in endocarditis) causing lingering symptoms such as an intermittent fever, shaking, lethargy etc. It could also be that you have developed an abscess or soft tissue infection around your arm and that is throwing off showers of bacteria into your bloodstream. The rigors (shaking) in particular is often a sign of bacteraemia (bacteria in your blood).

You need to get this checked out as a matter of urgency, and ideally you really need to be honest with the healthcare professional about your injecting too (not only will they need to examine your arm but it is important that they are alert to the possibility of IV complicatons). Good luck <3

Random Swelling and Numbness

So here's whats been going on with me:

I am a long time heroin user. I've not always used the most sterile techniques, but as of right now Im at least using a clean rig every time and such. I did china white in NOLA for a few years and had three good veins i rotated between never with any problems. Moved to Dallas, had to switch to tar. No problems for first two or three years (i have had periods of sobriety) but this last past few months i have had some VERY weird symptoms going on. Well I've blown my arm and hand veins and they are hard to hit, so if I can't hit there i usually have to use my legs or feet.

I have been experiencing two things: periodical swelling of my feet (not due to a missed shot or anything like that, they just blow up) usually not painful but once it did hurt. This has happened about 4 times in the past 9 months. The other thing Is i am having random spots on my body that are numb for anywhere from 2-7 days, NOT at an injection site. Like, right now, the top left side of my scalp is numb and has been for a few days now. wtf? and before you ask i am way to scaed to shoot in my neck (Says the girl poking around in her legs hips and stomach). I was tested about 11 months ago full IV-drug user panel and I don't have anything (thank god, knock on wood)

Anyway... thoughts?

Ooh I forgot to mention, just in case y'all think this may have anything to do with it, I smoke crack probably ten days out of every month.. about $40 per day.....

Last edited:
Any tips on hiding track marks for lighter complected people?
I'm also prone to bruising very easily, and makeup only hides so much.
I'm tired of wearing long sleeve shirts especially now for the summer.:\

Also, i'm pretty sure i missed and hit an artery a couple of hours ago.
It was painful, and I drew light red blood instead of the usual dark red which i know is bad but i was so stressed trying to find a good vein i said "fuck it"...
Its not too swollen but for a while i had a red rash around it, which is gone now, but it's still tender to the touch and kind of bruised.
Should i be worried?

Any tips on hiding track marks for lighter complected people?
I'm also prone to bruising very easily, and makeup only hides so much.
I'm tired of wearing long sleeve shirts especially now for the summer.:\

Also, i'm pretty sure i missed and hit an artery a couple of hours ago.
It was painful, and I drew light red blood instead of the usual dark red which i know is bad but i was so stressed trying to find a good vein i said "fuck it"...
Its not too swollen but for a while i had a red rash around it, which is gone now, but it's still tender to the touch and kind of bruised.
Should i be worried?

I don't usually post but I was shocked that noone had answered this yet.
Short answer - yes! If you injected into an artery you need to get yourself to a hospital. By not seeking immediate medical attention you risk losing fingers, your arm, your life. Even if it feels better at the moment.
Where did you inject?
I strongly urge you to see a doctor.

This in no way is a complication, but can somebody explain to me how is it that after one nice shot of dilaudid, about 80% of the time I let out a large burp ? Is that would be nausea/vomiting to opiate naive people ? I really don't get it.

Aching after injetion

Hi guys. I am aware that talking in the third person is not allowed. I am a heroin addict. My friend is a user. I inject on a daily basis. My friend only very occasionally. I am genuinely talking about my friend. She is sitting here with me.

So the thing is we got some stuff a few days ago and she was wanting a shot and asked me if i could get her as I am more experienced with injecting. It took a couple attempts to register, then we finally got it. But since then she has been having an extremely sharp pain at the injection site. Now every time she bends her arm it aches. I have experienced the aching before but only for a few hours after injecting and it wasn't as sore as she says the pain she is feeling.

We have a theory that there may have been a trapped air bubble because when she took blood from herself (don't ask it's something she likes to do) the pain reduced significantly. Another is that maybe I went through the other end.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what this might be?

Thanks guys <3

Hi guys. I am aware that talking in the third person is not allowed. I am a heroin addict. My friend is a user. I inject on a daily basis. My friend only very occasionally. I am genuinely talking about my friend. She is sitting here with me.

So the thing is we got some stuff a few days ago and she was wanting a shot and asked me if i could get her as I am more experienced with injecting. It took a couple attempts to register, then we finally got it. But since then she has been having an extremely sharp pain at the injection site. Now every time she bends her arm it aches. I have experienced the aching before but only for a few hours after injecting and it wasn't as sore as she says the pain she is feeling.

We have a theory that there may have been a trapped air bubble because when she took blood from herself (don't ask it's something she likes to do) the pain reduced significantly. Another is that maybe I went through the other end.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what this might be?

Thanks guys <3

That's very peculiar. So she draws blood from the sight and pain is gone but then the pain returns?

If this is the case I would say endorphins are being released when the skin or vein is stuck or the pain could be relieved in a psychological way?

Even if you get a small air bubble in the muscle if you missed, I don't think it would cause much pain. The body would rid it fairly quickly.

Maybe someone else has a better explanation.

I find it interesting that she can draw blood yet not fix herself...

Anyway, it's most likely a miss. As you theorized, it's possible that the needle ended up sliding through the vein after you registered. As for her finding relief from drawing blood, well that baffles me.

advice needed, arm went numb after heroin injection.

Yesterday I had injected two bags of herion, I hit my usual vein and I didn't feel it until a few minutes after. What worries me is that my whole forearm went numb after the injection. There was no pain or swelling when it happened, my arm had just gone completely numb. I'm convinced I probably missed my vein because there was no rush and it took awhile to kick in. I know the dope wasn't cut with anything because I had administered myself the same dosage of the same dope earlier that day. I was registered an everything and again, there was no burning, pain, or shock. I think I may have hit a nerve or an artery? The numbness went away after a couple minutes and now (day after) my arm is just a little sore around the injection site. Any insight on what and why this happened would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know much, if at all anything about injection, but I'm going to assume you hit a nerve.

Check out this: Injection Complications Megathread Loads of useful info :)

Was there any signs you missed at all, swelling, bruising after etc? It could have been a partial miss which irritated a nerve I suppose, or (probably more often) a swelling from a haematoma or a missed shot can cause compression of the blood vessels - this affects the blood supply to nerves too and can cause numbness. It is also definitely possible you hit an artery, if you weren't sure what to look out for. Interruption of the arterial supply could certainly cause numbness - it classically also causes pallor, coldness, difficulty moving the limb and sometimes pins and needles.

Injecting into an artery should be a "never happen" event for drug users if people are educated into the signs to look out for. A pulsatile blood vessel is the only really reliable sign (a vessel with a pulse). Veins are fairly easily compressible and non-pulsatile (no pulse at all). Arterial shots often cause the plunger to push back in the barrel and sometimes pulse (depends on make of needle), result in brighter blood (v unreliable) and can cause pain (not always; sometimes venous injection causes a little pain). Make sure the vessel is definitely non-pulsatile and not lying next to a pulsatile vessel; if you get any of the secondary signs then stop your injection immediately. Assess a vessel by holding a couple of fingers flat across it. If you don't feel a pulse, compress it gently. If you feel a pulse, don't inject. Have a good feel around of veins and arteries so you become familiar with the difference :) (sorry if you already know this, I think its good info to get out there).

If you do inject into an artery then you need to seek immediate medical assistance as you risk losing your lim. I'm really glad you recovered, but I would still get your arm checked out by a doctor to be sure.

Moving to OD as they are the experts in injection complications.

Yeah sounds like you hit a nerve. If you'd hit an artery you would soon be in no doubt due to the extremely unpleasant side effects.

yeah I'm pretty damn sure it was just a nerve then, I put it in my vein it may have moved out a little. what would happen if you IV'd into an artery?

check out the link effie gave you.

Arterial damage

Gangrene as a result of arterial damage occurs when an artery is injected into instead of a vein. Often this is as a result of injecting irritant drugs (such as benzos, pills, etc.) into the femoral artery rather than the femoral vein. However, it can occur when people inject into the smaller arteries in the arm.

Gangrene as a result of injecting into an artery can occur in the following ways:

* the artery can go into spasm and interrupt the supply of oxygenated blood to the tissues;
* the injected substance can block the artery,
* interrupting the blood supply to the tissues; and
* small particles of the injected substance
* (micro-emboli) can be transported into and block the capillaries in the tissue - causing their breakdown.

Arterial injection

All drug injectors should be warned that they should never inject into a blood vessel in which they can feel a pulse.

Although most arterial injections are accidental, occasionally people attempt arterial injection deliberately. The practice of deliberate arterial injection should be strongly discouraged.
For those who hit an artery by mistake or otherwise, advice should be to:
immediately withdraw the needle - do not complete the injection;
put strong pressure on the site for at least 15 minutes;
raise the affected limb if possible; and
seek medical advice.

Arterial injection can sometimes cause weakening of the artery wall (pseudoaneurysm) or fungal infection of the artery wall (mycotic aneurysm). Both conditions can lead to life-threatening arterial bleeding.

Prevention and treatment
Injecting drug users need to be given advice on the following subjects to enable them to prevent gangrene occurring:

* the dangers of arterial injection;
* the signs and symptoms of injecting into arteries;
* first aid treatment following accidental arterial injection; and
* discourage injection of crushed tablets and gel-tabs, especially Temazepam tablets,
Temazepam Gelthix capsules, and Diconal.

In the event of symptoms of gangrene occurring, injectors must be aware that:

* this is a serious complication that will not go away unless they get medical help; and
* they must get urgent medical treatment - if the onset is sudden they should call an ambulance.

any else have input? There was no pain, burning, or swelling, so I definitely didn't hit an artery right? And if I did wouldn't I know by now? The only after effect is a little pain at the injection site.

we're not going to be able to give you a definitive answer, only suggestions. going to an ER/doctor may help but likely leave you with more questions than answers. if it get's serious do not hesitate to go there immediately.

i'm of the opinion you've obstructed a nerve, like has been mentioned, and the pain at the site of injection probably suggests a partial miss as well.

I have been experiencing [...] random spots on my body that are numb for anywhere from 2-7 days, NOT at an injection site. Like, right now, the top left side of my scalp is numb and has been for a few days now. wtf?

This same thing has been happening to me. What is baffling is how carefull, sterile, and occasional I use. I will use a binge (3-4 days) (~0.5g) once or twice a month since June. Veins always rotated, new gear each use, liberal use of isopropyl alcohol, ect.

The numbness is noticed after the binge has ended and withdrawl symptoms are noticeable. They have occured only on my fingers ( pinky: outter edge, first knuckle), arm (outter forearm), back of the shoulder, and wrist.
The size of the numb patch decreases with the passing days. The larger the patch, the longer it lasts. Which leads me to suspect a chemical agent affecting a nerve. Or more worryingly, an area of my cortex has been affected by the substance or an impurity.
Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.