• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Somas for back spasms?

Hate to Feel

Bluelighter
As I mentioned on the forum previously, I suffer from degenerative disc disease and a couple of protruding discs in my back. In addition to being prescribed percocet for pain relief, I am also prescribed a muscle relaxer. The first muscle relaxer I was prescribed was flexeril. After my follow up eval last week, I told my PA that I was still experiencing back spasms. Because of this, I was changed to zanaflex.

I was given a few muscle relaxer options to choose from. She named several to include soma, but she also stated that the doctor doesn't like prescribing these due to them being addictive; however, she said that I don't appear to have an addictive personality and kind of ended it with that. She recommended that I try zanaflex and I agreed.

It's now a week later and I'm still experiencing back spasms. She told me to call her if the zanaflex didn't help, so I was considering calling her tomorrow. Should I specifically ask to try somas? I've never taken them before, but I've read that they're probably the strongest muscle relaxers available.

Do somas really work that well? If I'm denied somas, is there a good runner up that is similar to soma that someone could recommend?

Yes, Soma (carisoprodol) is the best of the muscle relaxants, it will work MUCH better than Flexeril or Zanaflex. Behind Soma is Milltown, which is very much like Soma, though it isn't frequently prescribed these days. Just be honest, and say they aren't working, and you'd like to try Soma (they were offered to you after all) to help the spasms. BTW Soma is a very odd drug, one day 1 Soma could just help with the pain, and the next it could put you on your ass, well probably not just 1, but the idea is that they are very unpredictable in effect. They should synergize very nicely with the Percocet, and I doubt you will be in much more pain.

Yes, Soma (carisoprodol) is the best of the muscle relaxants, it will work MUCH better than Flexeril or Zanaflex. Behind Soma is Milltown, which is very much like Soma, though it isn't frequently prescribed these days. Just be honest, and say they aren't working, and you'd like to try Soma (they were offered to you after all) to help the spasms. BTW Soma is a very odd drug, one day 1 Soma could just help with the pain, and the next it could put you on your ass, well probably not just 1, but the idea is that they are very unpredictable in effect. They should synergize very nicely with the Percocet, and I doubt you will be in much more pain.

Thanks for the info. I stopped by my pain management clinic earlier today and asked the receptionist if she could pass along to my PA that the zanaflex isn't working and that I would like to try Soma or something of its equivalent. She said that she'd pass along to my PA and that my prescription should be called in to my pharmacy either later today or tomorrow. Hopefully she agrees to the Soma. Sick of these spasms.