• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Chocolate: Opiate Potentiator?

ambigroove

Bluelighter
Sorry if this has been posted before, but i did try to use the search feature and really didnt find anything.

On an empty stomach i ate a little less than half a bar of hersheys dark chocolate. Probably took a 10mg lortab about 30 minutes later. 3 hours go by and the effect is wearing off. Then after about another hour when im sitting in traffic, BAM! The pill starts to come on again. This was 3 hours ago and im still feeling it. So 7 hours total.

I have never experienced a pill like that come on again so strong. In fact, i have never had a second rush from an opiate before.. ever. And i am amazed it happened 4 hours after i took it.

It took me some time to figure out what happened as i just put 2+2 together. Note: this is not placibo effect. I have never heard of or even thought of the possibility of chocolate making opiates stronger. I did do a internet search and while there are some hints that it might, there is no definite clearification on it like there is for grapefruit juice and opiates.

I have taken grapefruit juice to potentate pain killers before but i can tell you now, dark chocolate is MUCH better at doing it. At least it was tonight. If anybody else has had an experience like this with chocolate and opiates i would like to know.

Chocolate has been linked to changes of serotonin levels...It's possible that it could add to the opiate high, though I wouldn't have thought it'd be anything noticeable at all.

NO I actually immediately clicked on this link cause I know what the OP is talking about. Every morning when I take my .5 mg of suboxone, I eat a small piece of chocolate, because I swear it potentiates it (doesn't make me nod out, but it is noticeable.) It's kind of like how all the people at methadone clinics drink coffee to feel the methadone work, and i think its kind of a similar thing here. Chocolate contains caffeine and IME caffeine does affect opiate use. Speaking of which i better eat that chocolate now (if you take it rectally, you get 40% better BA by the way)

I read somewhere that chocolate also weakly attaches itself to THC receptors, though you would have to eat 25 pounds of it to get a marijuana like buzz, perhaps this is the mild stimulus that the OP talks of

Chocolate releases dopamine, and norepinephrine, because of the phenethylamine in it. Letting a piece of dark chocolate melt on or under your tongue (sublingual?) relaxes some people.

Why do you think some women are addicted to chocolate? It tastes good and releases a bunch of dopamine (as much as food can, anyways).

EDIT: edited serotonin -> norepinephrine

Last edited:
If caffeine potentiates opiates why the heck have I not felt any different when gulping down pop?

I take 400mg of caffeine every morning with my oxycodone dose. It DEFINITELY helps out a lot. The I potentiate my second dose with a high fat meal :) I'm gonna try this chocolate thing tonight.... maybe that will be my third dose potentiator.:)

I take 400mg of caffeine every morning with my oxycodone dose. It DEFINITELY helps out a lot. The I potentiate my second dose with a high fat meal :) I'm gonna try this chocolate thing tonight.... maybe that will be my third dose potentiator.:)

Thats a lot of caffeine.

Anyway just to be more precise. It was a little less than half a king size bar. So about a normal size bar of chocolate. I also forgot that i took a multivitamin right before as well.

Chocolate contains theobromine and theophylline, if I'm not mistaken - two closely related dimethylxanthines that are metabolites of caffeine. They're all adenosinergic stimulants. There's significant levels in dark chocolate, and I'm sure they'd potentiate opiates to some extent. (Wasn't the freebase Heroin #3 mixed 50/50 with caffeine for smoking?)

I don't think I'd go so far as to say that chocolate, or any compound therein, releases dopamine, serotonin, etc like an amphetamine. that's just plain silly. The release is porbably more from the delicious taste of the cocoa :)

Chocolate does infact contain caffeine, most dark chocolates don't but milk chocolate does, I have to avoid chocolate when my pain is causing migraines for that exact reason, caffeine makes my pain and migraines much worse.

QUOTE=JSPete;10179536]I don't think chocolate contains any caffeine, unfortunately.

Here's why

Unless of course the brand of chocolate you're eating has caffeine added.

The delicious Hershey's chocolate that the OP is eating doesn't contain any caffeine, so we can rule caffeine out as the cause.[/QUOTE]

Lol hey most people wouldn't have thought it contained caffeine but it does, hence the buzz mixed in with the natural products that boost dopamine.

I love chocolate but I shouldn't really eat it. I am definitely going to try this out with my next dose of medication though

That with everything else I am taking to potentiate my medication may help but I should really do it on it it's own so I can tell which product is doing the work. I sense I science project coming on hehe.

Last edited:
i agree with whoever said it relases serotonin and stuff like that also ive done it a few times but i just thought it was more of a placebo effect maybe they both play a little role in making it better

NO I actually immediately clicked on this link cause I know what the OP is talking about. Every morning when I take my .5 mg of suboxone, I eat a small piece of chocolate, because I swear it potentiates it (doesn't make me nod out, but it is noticeable.) It's kind of like how all the people at methadone clinics drink coffee to feel the methadone work, and i think its kind of a similar thing here. Chocolate contains caffeine and IME caffeine does affect opiate use. Speaking of which i better eat that chocolate now (if you take it rectally, you get 40% better BA by the way)[/QUOT

Last edited:
Chocolate contains barely ANY caffeine , no more than 15mgs . As for any significant alkaloids or chemicals in chocolate that would potentiate an opiate high , milk chocolate is not going to contain any appreciable amount of anything to effect you. Dark chocolate , maybe, but it would have to be a big amount. I think you're feeling a placebo my friend...

Its like trying to get jacked up on pepsi or mountain dew. Sure it has caffeine, but not a lot. I think its funny when people say "oh man I got a lot of work to do today, I need a coke to wake me up.". Ooooh 34mgs of caffeine.

Hah, don't mean to rant, but people still believe chocolate will keep you awake with its caffeine. No.

-lenses

Lenses, I pretty much agree. Chocolate definitely does not have enough caffeine to be stimulatory on its own. However, cocoa also contains theobromine and theophylline, which are methylxanthines like caffeine, that act as stimulants. This would have to be dark chocolate (has more cocoa), and I'm not sure how much of it, but combine that with the fact that chocolate has phenethylamine, which breaks down in to DA and NE, and you can see how chocolate can be stimulatory in some people.

I can say phenethylamine definitely has noticeable effects when you just need that extra dopamine boost, or that extra analgesia from opiates, when I drink a couple packets of Aspartame, which contains it, with a couple cups of tea.

I think the reason is the fat solubility that the chocolate brings to the table.

Essentially, the chocolate helped draw more of the opiate into your bloodstream.

Chocolate is psychoactive, but only to a very minor degree.