• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Serious Coffee Discussion

Ethiopian food is amazing. They do really good breakfast with the traditional coffee. Some great ones in footscray.

I do really like turkish coffee (I do add sugar to the water, before boiling), but my favourite form is via the stove top espresso machine:

bialetti-cafetiere-italienne-18-tasses-0001167.jpg

Is this the machine you have, Sadie? If so, you gotta be doing something wrong because it makes great coffee.

I only have a cafetiere and it's rubbish. I want that now! Actually I just want delicious coffee now. I'm not that hard to please.

Been wanting to try an Ethiopian restaurant for a while so I'll no doubt give the coffee a crack when I do. Though I'll probably add a touch of sugar.

Make sure to eat the bread. It is kinda like a slightly fermented or "activated-yeasty" pancake. And tasty too :)

I've had a 3C Moka pot for a few years now. Love it. I bring it with me if I'm traveling - small, easy to use, easy to clean. I'm considering getting a 6C, I'm doing my own research and this information seems helpful

Welcome to Bluelight SammyS :)

In regards to coffee, i always get the 53 cent refills at Starbucks. What a steal.
I'm also a fan of caffeine pills.

I prefer caffeine pills. I mean don't get me wrong, I love coffee and I think it's delicious. But I find it the roughest form of caffeine. Even a small amount of coffee overstimulates me these days, I get sweaty palms and feet and anxiety if I'm not really careful. Which is weird because I'll take 150-200mg of caffeine in pure form when I wake up and it just makes me feel nice and awake and energetic.

Coffee for me is my replacement habit for all else I've come to realize. Daily routine is morning coffee/reading/chain smoking cigarettes. To quit smoking, is to quit coffee. (At least for a bit). Not looking forward to it whatsoever.

However, my favorite combo is dark roast Costa Rican coffee with either hunny from my bees or agave sweetener. I prefer to keep it dairy free.

Last edited:
I like black coffee the best, good strong dark roast black coffee. Mmmm...

What's truly alarming is there are people who drink "decaf" just because. Almost as ghastly as flavored cream with just a splash of coffee.

Yeah my mom does that. Decaf caffee is weird, I swear it makes me sleepy.

I prefer caffeine pills. I mean don't get me wrong, I love coffee and I think it's delicious. But I find it the roughest form of caffeine. Even a small amount of coffee overstimulates me these days, I get sweaty palms and feet and anxiety if I'm not really careful. Which is weird because I'll take 150-200mg of caffeine in pure form when I wake up and it just makes me feel nice and awake and energetic.

I take both daily.
One 200mg caffeine pill when I wake up and a 16oz Columbian coffee w/cream and sweetener 2-2.5 hours later at work.

Coffee is the one thing I can start or stop at will. I use it when I have a taste for it and I can get used to strong, high caffeine types and cut almost directly to decaf and enjoy on flavor alone. I would like to re purpose the funds, but when treating or being treated to a popular coffee chain, I like drinking a black eye cold brew. That is two shots of espresso and cold brew coffee which the barista said was concentrated coffee and pretty strong. Kept me wide eyed and bushy tailed for hours. Felt great.I looked it up and apparently, a tall version of the cold brew I was drinking had 150 Mg of caffeine, plus two shots of espresso at 75 Mg each totaling a nice 300 Mg's.This may not sound like much, but I drink this once in a blue moon. I last had this on 10/13. If I have half that, once a day, that is a lot.I am interested in trying some decaf coffee and blending it with other flavors.

I do really like turkish coffee (I do add sugar to the water, before boiling), but my favourite form is via the stove top espresso machine:

bialetti-cafetiere-italienne-18-tasses-0001167.jpg

Is this the machine you have, Sadie? If so, you gotta be doing something wrong because it makes great coffee.

I don't like turkish coffee, I think it's bitter.

i've been making cold brew coffee. it's all the rage right now. stuff is killing me. so much caffeine.

i don't think that i prefer it. other than it can be batch made, keeps, and is in the fridge pre-bottled. i'd rather even have coffee made hot and then refrigerated (that day). coffee is supposed to be bitter.

I usually use caffeine pills as I find them less jittery. I have to be careful with coffee or my feet and palms start sweating and I feel edgy and uncomfortable. Seems to happen way easier with coffee than anything else that involves caffeine.

That said, I really love good coffee, it's so delicious and enjoyable to drink. I tend to like dark roasts... light roasts are definitely not my thing.

Ethiopian food is amazing. They do really good breakfast with the traditional coffee. Some great ones in footscray.

Totally agreed. I've only had it once, at this great place that opened up, but the location was bad and they eventually closed down. So good though.

Got my free refill today feeling great. 70 today in Boston, and the ice brew IIRC is the strongest.

Now that I've pretty much given up the booze I've become a coffee drinker for some reason. Coffee and kratom are my two vices now apparently.

Has anyone had this? I put a dash of milk and sugar in it...

KonaRed-Mocha_grande_e69cf519-81ab-47f4-9dbe-f4bcb45df547.png

Now that I've pretty much given up the booze I've become a coffee drinker for some reason. Coffee and kratom are my two vices now apparently.

Has anyone had this? I put a dash of milk and sugar in it...

KonaRed-Mocha_grande_e69cf519-81ab-47f4-9dbe-f4bcb45df547.png

What's the caffeine content in that bad boy?

I've been drinking ~500-1,000mg of caffeine a day recently.