• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Serious Coffee Discussion

Sheesh, what horses you have there my dear ;) Anyhoo, your wish = my desire:

Just turned off the stove:

In the lazy-man's cup:

OMG, that looks yummy. What's your method? Any special roast?

I've just been using the store bought super duper dust ground Turkish blend from the local Armenian market because I don't have the time to go all the way out to where all the Lebanese places are and get the good stuff.

It's super simple: a heaping tablespoon of the coffee dust (w/ or w/o a teaspoon of sugar) and about 6-8 oz of filtered water; putting it on the lowest stovetop setting available; let the water warm up and begin to dissolve the coffee for a few minutes, then stir in the coffee dust/sugar until there aren't any lumps; let it sit until there is a nice froth built up, turn off the heat just before it starts to simmer or boil (rarely takes more than four or five minutes).

After stirring it to mix the coffee/sugar into the water evenly, I don't disturb the mixture to help allow most of the grounds to settle. I only stir it all up once, then leave it to settle, right after the water has warmed up but long before I turn off the heat. Once the froth has built up and its just about to start simmering, I turn the heat off to let it sit on the stove for a minute or two.

Then I poor it gentle into a cup, leaving about 1/4 of liquid in the bottom of the pot with the majority of the grounds that have solidified at its bottom (and dispose of that crap). Traditionally you only poor out a little at a time after letting the grounds settle a bit, like into 1-2oz cups, but I am lazy so I poor it all out into one large cup and let that settle a for a few more minutes before enjoying it.

Sip the coffee slowly and enjoy. After you are finished, you'll notice a bit more of the sludge at the bottom of the cup from the grounds that made their way into the cup that hadn't settled at the bottom of the pot.

Yum! Great way to start the day :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yum! Tbf, I don't think I'll be able to get that same type of coffee locally. Maybe great Western Rd in Glasgow but I'm never there these days. I may try that technique with the stove top then transfer to my cafetiere as I feel my grind my not be as fine as the one you describe. Sounds delicious with a nice bit of creme it seems floating to the top of yours. Delicious!

It's a very enjoyable way to drink coffee. Not nearly as bitter or robust as other methods, but still very tasty. It imparts that kind of delicious coffee candy flavor, without any artificial hues. Totally depends on the coffee you're starting with.

Try and go to your local store or bakery with your favorite whole bean and get them to grind them up into a fine powder. It is also very important to use the proper kind of Turkish coffee pot, such as the one I pictured, for it to come out right. Normal pots that aren't tapered towards the top don't seem to work for it very well at all. Otherwise the grounds won't setting.

Unless you're using very, very finely ground coffee, it also doesn't tend to turn out very well. You've been warned ;)

BTW you can order one of these Turkish/Lebanese coffee pots on amazon or the internet for super cheap. You could also get some pre-ground Turkish coffee if you can't find a local baker or market to grind it up right for you.

I'll take a picture of the grounds so you get an idea. Powder grounds for Turkish coffee on the left, fine grounds drip on the right. Notice how the Turkish grounds are clumpy whereas the drip grounds are more granular:

Last edited by a moderator:
Will look out for one. Any chance of a good brew just doing a regular ground on the stove top? Or will that ruin it?

Definitely not without the right lot, otherwise it will just turn into cowboy coffee. I honestly am not sure, I think I will give it a try though and report back. Probably Thursday when I have the morning at home.

Randomly found this thread, but wanted to point out that some really underrated beans come out of Maui. Maui Mokka is one of my all time favorite varieties.

My friends, let me recommend Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica. It's delicious! But the most interesting coffee experience I've had was at a dinner party with a couple Syrian guys that served it.. like with dregs in it. Very strong, very rich, but great. And made your head spin! Not something I could drink regularly but a nice treat, like an espresso. But if I could afford it I'd grind fresh blue mountain 3 times a day. Meanwhile whatever mid-level brand Arabica suffices. Red Diamond for example

My friends, let me recommend Blue Mountain coffee from Jamaica. It's delicious! But the most interesting coffee experience I've had was at a dinner party with a couple Syrian guys that served it.. like with dregs in it. Very strong, very rich, but great. And made your head spin! Not something I could drink regularly but a nice treat, like an espresso. But if I could afford it I'd grind fresh blue mountain 3 times a day. Meanwhile whatever mid-level brand Arabica suffices. Red Diamond for example

Ah yes I've always wanted to get blue mountain beans, but sadly, they're way outside of the budget :(

for spice coffee, i add a teaspoon of cardamom, clove and chocolate. not a big fan of cinnamon

I'm currently drinking my second mug of
DeathWishCoffee.jpg

Made in a french press, not only is the coffee pretty strong (my caffeine use would kill an average person) but it tastes good. Of course black no sugar.

I just had the worst cup of coffee ever. What in god's name possessed me to add powdered creamer? Yuuuuuuuuuuuuck. And it makes you feel like crap too :(

It's like ever few years I forget how much I hate the stuff and am desperate and groggy enough to try it. Always, the same result. Call me crazy...

Still, I had to finish it 8)

I do really like turkish coffee (I do add sugar to the water, before boiling), but my favourite form is via the stove top espresso machine:

bialetti-cafetiere-italienne-18-tasses-0001167.jpg

Is this the machine you have, Sadie? If so, you gotta be doing something wrong because it makes great coffee.

Yeah i use one of those. I reckon it makes a good brew.

You had ethiopian coffee, mr roar?

Been wanting to try an Ethiopian restaurant for a while so I'll no doubt give the coffee a crack when I do. Though I'll probably add a touch of sugar.