• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ v 2.0

^My dose of methadone was lowered to 40MG before switching to subs. I was lucky to be an in patient and was loaded up with Clonidine for nearly 3 days then started on 12MG of subs. It was OK because I was asleep for about 95% of "waiting period". A bit bumpy first 1-2 days but nothing bad. I had been on MMT for 20+ yrs. Now I do fine with 1-2MG of subs a day.

@doppelganga196:

The last time I was on methadone, I hid it from my girlfriend completely. It was pretty messed up, and so was the relationship. If you want things to work, I think you should probably tell her sooner rather than later, though I totally understand the hesitation. I've only been with my new girlfriend for a couple weeks too, but I told her and she's super supportive. You might be surprised man, it's better than keeping another secret, 'cause that way you'll feel like your actually doing something to get your life back on track, rather than just switching opiates and hoping no one finds out.

As for the equivalence between methadone and suboxone, I've heard from multiple people that at its cieling dosage, buprenorphine has the agonist activity of about 30-50mg of methadone, so I imagine somewhere between 8-16mg would be around 40mg of the 'done. Just to be safe I would probably taper the meth down to 30mg before transitioning, though you probably will be okay at the dose you're on now, granted that you wait the adequate ammount of time before taking the buprenorphine.

On a personal note, I've been on 30mg of methadone for almost a week now and I find it really satisfying. I used to be very biased against MMT a opposed to suboxone, but right now, the clinic structure is working well for me. I also find that it's a lot easier to be on a low end dose of methadone for maintenance compared to bupe because the 30mg I take lasts all day and gives me the same energy and lift that the 1mg of suboxone gave me (it just lasts longer). It's weird because I actually find methadone to be less intoxicating than buprenorphine, but it somehow so far is helping with my cravings a lot more.

Hi Everyone,
I hope this is ok -- I started a personal website/blog on methadone in particular and drug policy in general. It would be great if you could check it out at <snip - no it isn't ok>

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys quick question: has anyone had experience with taking a dose of methadone after waiting 24 hrs (from last sub dose) while on suboxone maintainance? I'm on 8mg of sub and have 50mg of 'done that I'm thinking of taking 24 hrs after my last dose of sub but I'm unsure of how much to safely take.. I used to be on methadone but swapped to suboxone a few months ago and still have 50ml of 'done saved up and well golly I just feel like a mellow day of methadone. I know this isn't the best idea so please refrain from any comments dissuading me to do it, I appreciate your concern but I am going to do this and just want to be sure I'm taking as much precaution as I can. If you have had experience with this let me know how it went and if you think 50mg is too much or too little - the opiate conversion charts I have studied so far seem to indicate that I would need to take a dose much higher than what I have but I am not putting my life on the line solely based on potentially spurious research slapped up on the Internet. Ive used the search engine but can't find anything substantial. Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks team.

^If you check the Suboxone/Buprenorphine Megathread and FAQ, you'll see that I answered this question. In the future please don't copy and paste the same post in multiple different threads.

Haha I was just testing your moderating skills z, well played old boy, well played..

But no seriously sorry and duly noted, thanks for the reply and I won't copy-paste again.

i HATED all the different suboxone dosages and effects they had on my psyche and what not so i was done with bupe real quick. went back to fentanyl.(3-MF)
then in april '12 i decided for MMT. started on 80mg, then 100mg, and now its 120mg.
i have no problem taking it for years etc. but if i ever had to quit i would for sure switch over to a shorter acting opiate like 3-mf (3-methylfentanyl) because the WD's from that is like 3-4 days total, then comes the PAWS.
so basically i need a months worth of 3-MF if i were to quit methadone (to cover the methadone WD's) to smoke some when the methadone WD's begin am right basically?

^that'd only work if you are completely confident that you will cold turkey. set a date for yourself if you plan to do this. even though 3-MF is short acting and the w/d will be shorter, I have a feeling it's gonna be way shittier/more intense considering the potency of that drug.

i personally find the benefit of bupe is that if you taper correctly, you can really essentially minimize the w/d...i personally don't even feel them. i have never tried methadone, but i'm guessing the same principle applies. it might take awhile but it can be done

Right now I'm on 65 mg per day. Somehow, even though I made it clear over the phone to the clinic for the past 2 weeks that i want to reduce my dose, they've upped my dose by 10 mg!

So now it'll take even longer than planned to get down to 30 mg for the switch to subutex.

I'm curious, say i have my dose reduced by 5 - 10 mg every 2 weeks, will i begin to experience withdrawals straight away? & if i'm reducing that gradually, will i feel like hell the whole time time i'm titrating down to 30 mg?

I'll have some diazepam on hand - 2mg tabs prescribed but i can buy some 5's Also a large box of loperamide & somthing like phenergan or elavil to help sleep. You think this'll be good enough or is clonidine a pretty much essential part of methadone wd, even if it's gradual?

It will feel more like hell the lower your dose gets, towards the 20-30mg mark. If I were you I'd try to go down to 20mg before switching to subutex, if at all possible.

I'm at 15mgs per 24 hours and they are dropping me 2.5mgs every 15 days I don't feel so good nor that bad either. 1st 3 months and I had a 2 bag daily tolerance

Hello fellow methadonians

So im just curious if anybody (who is a long time user of methadone) have tried taking their dose rectally?
If so were there any 'positive' effects to that route instead of the oral at wich you really don't feel anything but stable.

And my last question, is there any medication preferably in tablet form that works against constipation?
Maybe Metoclopramide ?

Thanks and be safe!

Ha! I'm glad you asked that question, as I've become a real big fan of taking my weekend methadone dose rectally. The BA is actually a negligible ammount lower than oral administration, but due to the rapid onset, IME the methadone hits a lot harder when plugged. I havnt heard of many people using it this way, but I find it much more euphoric and it's a good treat once a week. When I plug my methadone I find that it starts to hit me within five minutes. There is definately a 'rush' like onset (don't get too excited though, ain't nothing like IV heroin) and the first time I did it, I was actually startled by the intensity. The great thing about it is that even though the onset and peak occur much more rapidly then oral consumption, the duration is just as long. IMO it does change the feel of the methadone. The effects are similar in a way to a combination of insufflated heroin and Dextroamphetamine, smooth, stimulating and anxiolytic.

I told a few friends at my clinic about using my take home bottle this way, and they all tried it and now do it every weekend too. One thing I might mention is that I (and the friends who also do this) are all at relatively low (non-blocking) dosages. IME methadone is similar to suboxone in that the only way I can get a nice consistant mood lift from my dose is to keep it low (40 mg). If you're taking enough methadone to saturate your receptors (I.e. a blocking dose), I'm not sure if plugging would really be that much better, though it would surely ensure a quicker onset. Lastly, I'm lucky in that my clinic dispenses the methadone in a 10mg/mL solution, so I can suck it all up in one go with an oral syringe. When it comes to plugging, I've found that it works best when you use somewhere between 4 and 10 mL of liquid (regardless of the substance). If your methadone is 1mg/mL, I wouldn't really bother with it.

I told a few friends at my clinic about using my take home bottle this way, and they all tried it and now do it every weekend too. One thing I might mention is that I (and the friends who also do this) are all at relatively low (non-blocking) dosages. IME methadone is similar to suboxone in that the only way I can get a nice consistant mood lift from my dose is to keep it low (40 mg). If you're taking enough methadone to saturate your receptors (I.e. a blocking dose), I'm not sure if plugging would really be that much better, though it would surely ensure a quicker onset. Lastly, I'm lucky in that my clinic dispenses the methadone in a 10mg/mL solution, so I can suck it all up in one go with an oral syringe. When it comes to plugging, I've found that it works best when you use somewhere between 4 and 10 mL of liquid (regardless of the substance). If your methadone is 1mg/mL, I wouldn't really bother with it.
Thanks for the quick reply!
I am on a quite large dose of methadone, 130mg but I will most def try it out.
The metadone we get here is 5mg/ml so i wouldn't be massive amounts of fluid.. Im not sure how much I should use though..
Im thinking not the whole 130mg but maybe half or 50-60mg.. If you or anybody else have some recomendations on that please write.

Anoter question I guess I should ask this in the correct thread but how far "in" do you have to push the syringe, ½inch or?

Tanks.

1/2" will do you fine. I personally has never plugged less than my daily dose, but my friend splits their dose into two do to the stronger effects.

Someone pllllleeaasseeee help. Been on current dose for 6ish months if not longer. I am currently taking Adderall. I have been on amps due to add for 13 years? I have a fairly high metabolism. Ok so thats my history heres been the issue. I have been waking up every night fucking FREEZZZIIINNNGGG with goosebumps and just unease. Its wipdly uncomfortable. I have promethazine. I was wondering if I take that as my Adderall wears off if A is that safe and B is it safe with my methadone and C will it help this issue.bIm withdrawaling when I get to the clinic. Just totalllyyy annoyed and uncomfortable and uneasy. Please help me someone. I take Xanax for anxiety. Thats all the meds I take. I also have gabapentin?. I dunno what will work. Is it due to lack of food. I eat a fatty meal before or after I take my methadone. I sweat a lot. I just wanna know if Theres something I am missing as its getting uncomfortable and Im trying to get at 85mgs currently....help?!

Gabapentin works wonders for withdrawal symptoms and it synergies nicely with opioids as well. I'd try that. 300mg should be a sufficient dose.

The thought about how much solution one should use lead me into thinking about evaporating excess solution from the Methadone.
Say I had a 50ml solution, 50ml with 130mg in it. Would it be possible to boil it down a bit to maybe 30-20ml without loosing any Methadone in the process ?

I have a quick question about my new methadone script. I'm a pain patient and I've been on a bupe patch (20mgs) for about a month and now we're going to taper up to 30mgs of methadone. However she's going up by 5mgs a week, while going down 5mgs a week on the patch. My question is, I've read different places that bupe potentiates methadone and other places that it would completely block it. Should I just rip the patch off and just take the 5mgs methadone or is the bupe actually doing me any good?
I tried to ask her about this but she seemed kind of clueless when I mentioned the whole ceiling effect idea.

Anyone know about this combo?

What!!! That's insane! Bupe and methadone are a horrible combo! If you take buprenorphine after taking methadone, you will surely be sorry, because you'll experience precipitated withdrawal hell. Even at these low dosages of methadone, you still should not be taking the two at the same time..

Also, are the patches 20 milligrams or 20 micrograms? I ask because I was under the oppinion that the highest BuTrans dose was 20mcg/hour. What your doctor is doing just doesn't make sense.. Not with methadone. I've heard that some people successfully take low dosages of buprenorphine along with a short acting full agonist like oxycodone for break through pain with success, but this is totally bizzare. If I were you I would take the patch off right now, and just take the methadone. You may feel a little weird at first but I imagine that you'd probably be fine once you got to 10mg/day and up.