• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ v 2.0

Hey so i started MMT yesterday. I had an apoitment with themearly as hell in the morning (6:30am). The intake wasn't so bad, filled out some paper work like in my own words why have i chosen to seek help, and stuff like that like emergency contact etc. Then i was given a drug test which the only thing in my system was opiates since i dont smoke weed anymore then the sooner i'll be able to have take home doses.
Then the nurse saw me, she checked my blood pressure and my temp. She also did a TB skin test where the nurse sticks u with a needle under the skin and makes a little bubble,roughly the size of a mosquito bite.
Then she sent me to see the doctor that askd me if i had any health problems and described the methadone. He approved me for MMT and sent me back to the nurse for her to take my picture, so finally it was about 8:30-9:00am before i was given my dose of Methadone. Which was 30mg.
Today i asked the nurse to bump me up to 35mg,andshe did. Anyways it costs 14$ per dose.. a hell of alot cheaper then $100 daily.

just off methadone and.....

I am sweating in my armpits like crazy. Its so embarassing, I even wore 2 shirts at work and still had wet armpits. I don't sweat anywhere else. Did anyone else have this problem AFTER getting off methadone? Did it go away eventually? How long did it take? Thx for your feedback -GG

Do you mean that it's a withdrawal symptom, or are you done withdrawing?

Sofar so good on the methadone.. i'm on 35mg now a day, going to tell the nurse tomorrow to bump me up to 40. I don't have as many cravings as i did before. I'm not waking up sick in the morning anymore.. I know methadone maintenance is such a conversational topic and most people don't agree with it.
I'm one of those addicts thats tried everything to get off opiates. So far so good on methadone, i am happy now and no longer living in fear about getting dope sick.

Sofar so good on the methadone.. i'm on 35mg now a day, going to tell the nurse tomorrow to bump me up to 40. I don't have as many cravings as i did before. I'm not waking up sick in the morning anymore.. I know methadone maintenance is such a conversational topic and most people don't agree with it.
I'm one of those addicts thats tried everything to get off opiates. So far so good on methadone, i am happy now and no longer living in fear about getting dope sick.
If your not taking it for pain managment, you'll eventually start feeling it sucking yer' soul into a big black hole...

methadone is one evil opioid i was on it for years over a decade and ended up getting my dose put up to silly levels 120mg a day after i stopped buying heroin due to its very low purity at the time. i used to collect 840ml a week and drink the lot in one go occasionally saving 40mg or so for day 6 withdrawals. i dont know about other people but with me i used to find i could dose my self weekly with it at very high doses and still not withdraw untill a day before next collection. as a drug it is much more abusable than buprenorphine although its uk preperations are not 1mg/1ml mixture is impossible to inject it like you can with subutex tablets. only exception is the blue 10mg/ml sugar free concentrate wich is like water tinted blue (unlike the green gloopy 1ml/1mg mixture) both have their advantages and disadvantages but methadone is much more likely to get you hooked on opiods for life. Back then 1998 between the 2 if i had the choice id of gone with subutex. methadone has destroyed my life am lucky it didnt kill me really. ! Go for the bupe people sod that nazi dereived bone soaking crap. hope i not broke no rules sayin that !!!

The methadone i get comes in a red liquid that is it a single use bottle with the mg on the bottle. Since i'm up to 40 mg theres people there that are well over 200mg. Theres hardly any red liquid in my bottle compared to the bottles with 100mg+ those bottles are almost full! I'm still in phase 1 of the program. Wont be till after 30days ill move to phase 2. I'll be given a take home. At phase 4 your given a weeks worth. Since i dont smoke weed i wont have any thc n my system.plus my counciler is cool and he trusts me, er well he did today

I could really care less what people say about mmt. Ive tried everything. From 12step programs, to jesus/religious programs and didn't stay sober after those. I've tried suboxone and since i hate the taste of subs i didnt last long anyway.
So now I'm on Methadone and so far its working. Im not having any urges nor am i dope sick.

If your not taking it for pain managment, you'll eventually start feeling it sucking yer' soul into a big black hole...
Like heroin does? At least you don't have to lie/cheat/steal to get your daily dose of methadone. Also, if you stay at a reasonable dose, I don't see how it is much worse that using it for pain management.

methadone is one evil opioid i was on it for years over a decade and ended up getting my dose put up to silly levels 120mg a day after i stopped buying heroin due to its very low purity at the time. i used to collect 840ml a week and drink the lot in one go occasionally saving 40mg or so for day 6 withdrawals. i dont know about other people but with me i used to find i could dose my self weekly with it at very high doses and still not withdraw untill a day before next collection. methadone has destroyed my life am lucky it didnt kill me really. ! Go for the bupe people sod that nazi dereived bone soaking crap. hope i not broke no rules sayin that !!!

I think it was the way that you were using it that was destroying your life and nearly killing you. If everybody took their weekly dose of whatever meds they are on it one large dose, then you can say that any of these drugs destroys lives.

The methadone i get comes in a red liquid that is it a single use bottle with the mg on the bottle. Since i'm up to 40 mg theres people there that are well over 200mg. Theres hardly any red liquid in my bottle compared to the bottles with 100mg+ those bottles are almost full! I'm still in phase 1 of the program. Wont be till after 30days ill move to phase 2. I'll be given a take home. At phase 4 your given a weeks worth. Since i dont smoke weed i wont have any thc n my system.plus my counciler is cool and he trusts me, er well he did today

I could really care less what people say about mmt. Ive tried everything. From 12step programs, to jesus/religious programs and didn't stay sober after those. I've tried suboxone and since i hate the taste of subs i didnt last long anyway.
So now I'm on Methadone and so far its working. Im not having any urges nor am i dope sick.

What dose are you looking to stabilize at? Does the clinic have a minimum dose of like 60-80mgs?

methadone did not work with me unless i took silly doses. i felt more comftable taking a weeks dose in one not feeling like i was withdrawing for 6 days or so and getting a 24hr treat every week from it rather than take 120 every day and always feeling uncomftable ! methadone seems to act a lot longer on me than anyone else i know. possibly i was not getting my full dose evry 24hrs i dont know but i suppose it will work better on some people than it will on others

For me MMT completely took away cravings for weed, opiates and everything else but occasional benzos [prescribed 10 valium a month as needed] and vodka about 3-4 times a month to party. Can't party or get much from subs unless you want to go low which I did [1 mg] and are willing to switch back and forth occasionally. Personally I'd go back to MMT in a NY second if I didn't have to start all over with no takehomes and pay about $400 a month. I was on monthly takehomes for yrs with MMT and didn't realize how good I had it... compared to subs. BTW I get subs free. I know many believe subs is better but not if you like to have some fun with friends a couple of times a week. I don't have any non using friends and NA is a joke in my area.

Methadone withdrawal??

I keep hearing that withdrawing from methadone is tougher than withdrawing from opiates. My question is, which aspect is harder. Is it the physical wd's or the mental wd's. Do you go through the diahrea, sneezing, runny nose, aches and pains worse or is it the anxiety, insomnia, mind-fuck aspect that's harder OR is it a combination of both that is worse? I take methadone when out of opiates or to get over the first four or five days of wd's when taking a forced or intentional break from opiates but I've never taken it longer than 9 or 10 days and have never noticed any wd's from using methadone for that short of period. What say you?

the physical and mental withdrawals will always correspond exactly to the strength of the opiate. some opiates do not have worse physical wds and other worse mental wds, they are the same intensity, and vary only according to the strength of the opiate.

for example, hydrocodone wds (both mental and physical) will not be as bad as methadone wds (mental and physical).

the above information is assuming equivalent doses. for example, someone on 400 mgs of hydrocodone / day (which is pretty unheard of) will have worse wds than someone on 5 mgs of methadone.

It is very rare to notice even mild withdrawals while switching to a different opiate/opioid. For the most part, they bind to all the receptors very strongly with a mild difference in the ratio's that each opiate has when binding to the receptors.
(oxy may bind to receptor A for example more then methadone, so you may feel a small difference if you have been on only one opiate for a very long time and the opiate you change to is a much different antagonist. (Codeine vs oxy for example).

I would not expect anything more then a MILD change in symptoms switching from methadone to any opiate >= hydrocodone.

Underfaz,
Thanx for your input. I understood most of that already so I guess I should rephrase my question. I take about 150-200MG oxycodone/contin a day when rolling. When I switch to Methadone I only seem to need 50-70mg a day for close to same effect. If I did the methadone at that rate for two months and I did the Oxy at the above described rate for two months, which would give me the hardest time withdrawing?

whippa,
So what your saying is (if I got that right) same is same. If I'm taking a sufficent amount of either methadone or opiate to get where I need to go that the wd will be the same?

Whichever has the longest half-life will give the worst / longest WD's.

I don't have experience with methadone, but with bupe, it takes 3-4 days to get the built up dosage get completely out of me. Roxy just a day. I'll feel like shit doing percocet later in the day, but it'll take 2-3 days until I cave and get something after using bupe.

Thanx everyone who threw in here. I guess the answer is, "methadone wd's are the same as oxycodone wd's except they last longer." Is that how it works? This all started with asking my Dr. for something that lasted longer. Of course methadone came up, but every, and i mean EVERY, med professional says the same thing. "Ooooohh..... you don't want to switch to methadopne because it is so much more addictive". I take that to mean the wd's are worse. I would ask my Dr. but you can't get a straight answer these days because all the medicos have law enforcement crawling up their ass about opiate these days and they are all paranoid about their jobs. Can't say I blame them considering all they have envested, but I really hate the idea of anyone getting between my Dr. and I when it comes to treatment. Really, I shit you not, ask the wrong question or make the wrong suggestion and you will be cut off. And I mean "thrown to the wolves' "cold turkey" cut off. I've had it happen.