• CD Moderators: Thomas Davie | Darksidesam | Madness
  • Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

uses of marijuana stems

To recap a little and add, stems have thc in them and can get you high easily in quantities 5x what you would need with bud. That said, the best way to use them is probably not to smoke them because they have so much more inert substance, taste bitter, and take much more smoking to achieve the same high. The same things can be said for vaporizing, except for the absence of the smoke of course. Therefore the other option is an extraction, whether that be oil, butter, alcohol, butane, or even saliva (as in chewed). The one trick to this is that naturally in the plant the chemicals are not primed to their full potential for effect, and can be strengthened tenfold by turning it to its active state THCA. When burning or vaping, this process is achieved instantaneously. When extracting or eating, many people are unaware that this still needs to be achieved. It is easily done by grinding and baking your ingredient (holds true for bud, shake, stems etc.) above 222F for "decarboxylation" (activation), but below 300F to avoid vaporization of the chemicals right into the air which starts to happen above 335 degrees. Once you do that you're golden. There are other things you can do to bring out the crystals and stuff first like freezing it, but thats all relatively minor. happy toking and good luck

I don't see what everyone's problem is with smoking stems, nothing wrong with it, it's the same plant and same drug with the same (at least mostly) chemicals. If you had a grinder that'd be best but if not just break it up a little (not really even necessary) and smoke them in a bong.

I don't see what everyone's problem is with smoking stems, nothing wrong with it, it's the same plant and same drug with the same (at least mostly) chemicals. If you had a grinder that'd be best but if not just break it up a little (not really even necessary) and smoke them in a bong.

Are you joking? Smoking stems? You sure you haven't been smoking crack?

I find an ornamental arrangement of hot-glued stems provides tasteful decoration and lends natural charm to the otherwise drab interior of my refuse bins. Don't be afraid to get adventurous and experiment a little!

LOL

also, instead of toothpicks, you could use stems as a way to serve orderves. Plus it would give it a nice weed taste! :D

I'm thinking about making some Green Dragon with my stems and vaped weed. What is your guys ratio, gram wise, for the amount of stems to put in an 1/8th of vodka?

If you chop up the stems real fine, than you should only need enough vodka to go right over the top of the stems.

Takes a real long time to make though, a few weeks at least of soaking

Any idea how much stem I would need to make a half litre of potka/green dragon? Or something, I would prefer it to be heavier on the stem side then vodka as I dont want to have to take a load of shots as drinking doesn't interest me.

I would suggest making a bhang out of your stems - chop them up real nice, and boil them in milk...and eat the stems with the tea - don't filter them out (if you chop them into lengths of a cm, after slicing hte stems down the middle)...did this 2 days ago in fact...lovelystone.

I've vaporized stems with great results, but it was good quality weed so the stems were coated with trichomes.

Haven't read all posts so sorry if this is already said.

Only 2 things I will do with stems, any alcohol as I've seen said a few times already, as this is one of the most effective ways to extract the THC from the weed. You may have noticed that drinking spirits with weed aims for a more intense yet lovely high, and that's only in 1 night, just imagine what an amazing drink you will have if you leave it 6-8 months, it's brilliant.

And number 2, you can get silk spinners but you could make do with a simple bit of clothe which is strong and fine enough to do the following. With a spinner it does the work for you by removing the finest crystals from stems (works just as well with leaves, and you can make some incredible hash / resin), or hold your material of choice over a container and rub your weed against it, leaving you with lovely powder to do what you desire with.

Hope some of that's useful for ya.

Should try making an alcoholic extraction. Never tried it.

Last edited:
Hello bluelight forums, new member here.

I stumbled across this thread upon running out of bud. I wasn't in a position to grab more for about week and all I had was a crapload of stems I had been collecting for over a year. After skimming through the thread it became obvious that the opinion of most highly active members on here was that smoking stems was a pointless endeavor. Unfortunately I wasn't in a position to make a butane extract and the few times I've tried cooking with oils, it's turned out to be a disaster.

Thus I tucked the tail between the legs and decided to have a go at smoking bowls of stems. Now I cannot comment on the health implications of this as I am ignorant in that regard. However I can tell you how smoking stems from a "getting high" perspective.

It was fine =). People say it "tastes gross". Yeah, if you smoke a normal sized bowl. I ground up the stems and then smoked about 4 half-bowls to simulate a real bowl. I won't attest to getting as high as I would off a bowl of kush, however I was certainly as high as I would be off a generic lower-grade strain. It also hardly was nasty to smoke.

Someone also said, "why the hell would you want to smoke wood?". I'm not sure if this is some attempt at a "gay joke", but if not, why the hell would you want to smoke flowers? XD

Overall I found the insistence here that smoking stems will not get you high to be completely false. I will admit however, one day I took it a bit far and was smoking stems all-day like I had real bud. I had a pretty bad headache by day's end. :D

Last edited:
i'd say save up enough stems to do a Butane extraction. can't see how it'd be any different than using leaves or buds other than maybe different distribution of cannabinoids. but im sure you could get quality oil if you had enough stems. but im assuming you'd need quite alot.