Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

(loperamide/80mg) - inexperienced - pleasantly surprised

kjobo

Bluelighter
Most of the threads I read about loperamide go the same way: someone swears up and down that he got an all day high from it similar to methadone and about 300 posts saying, "You're either lying or your crazy. It's great for withdrawals but it wont give any kind of a high." For the most part, the people that are swearing it wont work refuse to try it because they've read that it doesn't cross the BBB. Anyway, I just picked some up for withdrawals expecting it just take care of the physical symptoms of the withdrawal, but it seems to do a little more than that. It seems to replace a little bit of that barrier between you and the world that is missing when you stop taking opiates cold turkey. I wasn't expecting that at all, and I don't know if upping the dose will give me more of a high, but I'm pleasantly surprised that it's helping me with the part of the withdrawal I hate the most (the physical stuff is no worse than the flu to me). So far I've only taken 80mgs. Thats 20 less than most people that get high off it recommend starting with. I don't know if I'll up it, and if I do I'll post back, but right now I'm just enjoying feeling normal for awhile.

and i just realized this is a trip report so i'm sure you'll want to move it. sorry.

Tagged by bindingaffinity
substancecode_loperamide
substancecode_opiates
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok. Curiosity got the better of me and I took ten more 2mg tablets. about an hour to an hour and a half after taking the original dose, I can safely say what I am feeling is far more than a
placebo. Usually when I do synthetic opioids I feel the sensation more in my chest. It's like a warm glowing feeling below my neck. This is more like a morphine type feeling in my head. It's still very pleasant, and if it lasts 8 hours like a lot of people say i'll be very happy. I do not report this lightly. I know I may take shit from it and I was skeptical too. At most I thought that some people had an underdeveloped BBB like children and some didn't. Maybe I'm one of those people.

Thats never been a problem for me. I've taken decent dosages before to potentiate and with fiber you're good after a day or two. That seems to be what everyone else is saying too. If
you're worried have a stool softener with you. Taking 2 and taking 10 don't make a huge difference to me. I'm not trying to suggest anyone do this. I'm still going strong with the effects. I do feel a slight head buzz and nausea I would liken to taking 2-300 dxm, but nothing serious.

I can't shake the feeling that taking 40-50x the recommended dose of an opiate that is specifically designed to work only in your gut is a bad idea

Very interesting. Ignore all the poop jokes you're about to get hit with. Closed mindedness is a hell of a disease.

You may have an underdeveloped BBB. Do you happen to get headaches often? Are you the kind of person that almost always has to retreat to bed after Thanksgiving dinner from a crippling headache? If so, this could mean your BBB isn't up to snuff.

I will also say that it could still be placebo, reason being: you say you're in withdrawals and something unexpectedly provided surprising relief from symptoms, thus making you feel less anxious about your w/d's. That in itself can result in a state of euphoria/well being. :)

Either way, glad you found something to help you through this tough time! As mentioned above, be careful because regardless, you're taking ~50 times the recommended dose of an already effective medicine. Just because you don't feel it in your head doesn't mean it isn't wreaking havoc on your liver, heart, kidneys, etc.. (yeah, says the guy who just posted a trip report on CWE'ing codeine :p)

very good point, and I have heard of people doing CWE on this as well. If I try it again Ill do that. I know it's not a placebo, simply because I was brought to normal and new that I was feeling normal and then it kept getting better. At the point I'm at right now, I can feel a very tangible morphine like weight on me. I will say this to anyone thinking about it: I have had manageable abdominal pain for the past few hours. It feels like too much raw irritating material on my stomach wall which makes sense. And no, I have never had a huge problem with headaches. In any case, if you're having trouble with withdrawals, 30-40 lopes will definitely give you a nice long break from it.

Very interesting. Ignore all the poop jokes you're about to get hit with. Closed mindedness is a hell of a disease.

You may have an underdeveloped BBB. Do you happen to get headaches often? Are you the kind of person that almost always has to retreat to bed after Thanksgiving dinner from a crippling headache? If so, this could mean your BBB isn't up to snuff.

I will also say that it could still be placebo, reason being: you say you're in withdrawals and something unexpectedly provided surprising relief from symptoms, thus making you feel less anxious about your w/d's. That in itself can result in a state of euphoria/well being. :)

Either way, glad you found something to help you through this tough time! As mentioned above, be careful because regardless, you're taking ~50 times the recommended dose of an already effective medicine. Just because you don't feel it in your head doesn't mean it isn't wreaking havoc on your liver, heart, kidneys, etc.. (yeah, says the guy who just posted a trip report on CWE'ing codeine :p)

And no sense of humor is a silent killer...

I know it's not a placebo, simply because I was brought to normal and new that I was feeling normal and then it kept getting better. At the point I'm at right now, I can feel a very tangible morphine like weight on me.

You don't understand what a placebo is, do you?

Hmmm.. So someone that was Physically sick from withdrawals getting Full Relief of their physical symptoms is experiencing "Placebo".. are you quite sure that YOU know what it is?

Hmmm.. So someone that was Physically sick from withdrawals getting Full Relief of their physical symptoms is experiencing "Placebo".. are you quite sure that YOU know what it is?

yeah, I do. placebos can actually improve symptoms of virtually any ailment, even when the patient knows they're taking a placebo.

just because it helped your w/d does not mean it actually helps with w/d, ya dig? if you thought it was gonna have an effect, and it did, that doesn't really prove anything, the power of perception can be amazing sometimes...

I've experienced opiate effects from large doses of loperamide. Comparing it to methadone is obviously silly, but there is a notable opiate warmth present. No euphoria. Nothing that I would consider close to recreational. But it is interesting that it works.

As for not being able to shit for a week...loperamide isn't more effective at inducing constipation than your garden variety opiate, and people who abuse opiates usually take many times the normal dose. It's not any worse than using any other opiate.

"The mean (median) times for 50% and 90% of the radioactivity to arrive at the colon were 7.4 (7.3) hours and 9.6 (9.2) hours, respectively. For the loperamide-simethicone combination... the mean (median) times for 50% and 90% of the radioactivity to arrive at the colon were 9.7 (8.1) hours and 13.3 (9.7) hours, respectively."

So simethicone allows loperamide to linger around longer

"Loperamide 16 mg suppresses adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) and cortisol secretion in individuals who do not have Cushing’s syndrome. Because the suppression of ACTH and cortisol is reversed by administration of naloxone, this effect of loperamide is likely mediated by opiate receptors. When corticotropin-releasing hormone is administered, loperamide does not suppress ACTH release, suggesting that the inhibition of ACTH secretion by loperamide does not occur at the pituitary gland."

Now this is new to me... is this typical of all opiates? This would explain how or beloved rockstars Keith Richards and Mick Jagger are still with us today, amongst others, so long as they dont blow their heads off or snag a hep c infection.