• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Safer Use of Stimulants FAQ revised

ebola?

Bluelight Crew
TruthSpeaker's Safer use of stimulants faq

Seems like there've been a lot of questions regarding comedowns and treating amphetamine/stimulant abuse. A lot of this information regarding stimulant safety is scattered and tentative, and by making this thread I intend to organize much of the relevant information into a single document.

Most if not all of this information is expressed in laymen's terms. This thread is not meant to provide people with basic information (such as dosing, effects, etc) about amphetamines and stimulants, but rather, as a thread to inform people about safety precautions and advice they can use in treating amphetamine/stimulant abuse.

A majority of the information represented in this faq is collected from a cumlative knowledge of stimulants I have obtained.

Some basic amphetamine information can be found here: it is suggested everyone read this before they continue.

I'll start off with the basics of harm-reduction involving stimulants, these are the MOST BASIC precautionary elements one should take before abusing speed.

The Basics

Drink water - your body gets massively dehydrated from stimulants such as Speed or X. Many of the negative health effects of stimulant use stem from dehydration. Ideally, you will also want to simultaneously replenish electrolytes an calories, so sports drinks, eg Gatorade, are suggested.

Eat foods! Your body needs food to survive, period. No food intake = no glucose in your body to carry out even the basic functions of survival, such as cellular respiration. Intake of micronutrients and fiber is also essential for basic health. Because stimulants tend to suppress appetite, you may want to look into smoothies, preferably loaded with fruit and sources of protein, such as yogurt.

Avoid strenous exercise/keep cool - checking your heart rate every so often gives you an idea on how concerned you should be, you don't want to be running while peaking on stimulants and die of a stroke. While people vary in terms of resting pulse, and it is possible to have a comparatively high resting pulse coupled with comparatively low blood pressure, most healthy individuals have a resting pulse of 60-80 bpm while sober. If your resting pulse is up to 120 bpm, do not ingest any more stimulants. If not in a panicked state, a resting pulse of 180 is dangerous, and medical attention may be warranted. Keeping cool also helps your body protect itself from overheating. Excessively high body temperature also contributes to neurotoxicity via increased formation of free-radicals.

Try to Sleep! - This one is huge, not only does sleep help prevent amphetamine psychosis, but regenerates your body and helps your mind take in more material. Don't plan on remembering a lot of the material you crammed if you haven't slept in over 24 hours (stimulants also inhibit the formation of new long-term memories, so studying sober or with caffeine is ideal anyway; save the stimulants for fun and paper-writing). Possible Rx sleep aids include Trazadone, mirtazapine, benzodiazepines, and OTC meds such as Benedryl (diphenhydramine). Natural supplements such as melatonin, 5-htp, and magnesium may also help you fall asleep more easily.

Helpful Supplements

Magnesium - A weak NMDA antagonist, magnesium may somewhat reduce the accrual of tolerance, reduces muscle tension, and is also believed to relieve stress and helps reduce jaw tension (ie bruxism). Magnesium/Calcium levels also often appear abnormal following amphetamine use, exacerbated by poor diet. Magnesium can be found primarily in green, leafy vegetables (as it is a component of chlorophyll), nuts, and legumes.

Vitamin C/E - an obvious choice, helping in maintaining numerous process of the body and as antioxidants. Ingestion of antioxidants is key, as stimulants (particularly dopamine releasers) increase oxidative stress. Vitamin C is found in oranges and most other fruit such as watermelons, lemons, apples, grapefruits...

B vitamins (niacin, riboflavin, folic acid, etc) - functioning in the breakdown of carbohydrates into glucose, helping to maintain a healthy level of energy, functioning in the breakdown of fats and proteins (which aids the normal functioning of the nervous system).

Melatonin - useful as a sleep aid after use, but particularly when stimulants disrupt normal circadian rhythms.

Maintaining the (monoaminergic) neurotransmitter function:

The 2 primary primary neurotransmitters affected by use of stimulants are dopamine and norepinephrine. Some stimulants also affect serotonin (together, these are the naturally occurring monoamines). The neurotransmitter dopamine is essential for regulation of motivation, learning, decision making, and the experiences of desire and gratification. Temporary depletion of dopamine plays a key role in the experience of stimulant crashes and hangovers, though the body synthesizes dopamine far more quickly than it does serotonin. The neurotransmitter serotonin regulates a wide variety of functions in the brain, and disturbances in serotonergic function are linked to problems with mood and sleep.

In general, dopamine releasers (eg, amphetamines) tend induce greater neurotoxicity than dopamine reuptake inhibitors (eg, methylphenidate), the former class of compounds causing more dramatic receptor down-regulation and neurotransmitter depletion in the short term, and even axon pruning and cellular death at high doses.

As a rough benchmark, amphetamine can cause temporary receptor downregulation and dopamine-depletion with moderately high doses (~20 mg+), and cellular death at very high doses (100 mg+) (these dosage levels are very rough guesses). Dopamine releasers that also release serotonin are even more neurotoxic, presenting similar risks to the serotonin system. Methamphetamine, in addition to releasing serotonin, presents unique neurotoxicity, inducing more enduring receptor downregulation, neurotransmitter depletion, and cellular death at lower doses. Though there may be some level of methamphetamine dosage that is relatively safe (perhaps around 10 mg doses), use of methamphetamine is not suggested. Reuptake inhibitors tend not to induce receptor downregulation as readily, deplete neurotransmitter levels at common dosages, or cause neuronal death. If you find them adequate, use of reuptake inhibitors is suggested. Unfortunately, most people find dopamine releasers better functional aids and more fun.

Generally, supplementation with amino-acid precursors can ameliorate depletion of neurotransmitters. They prove particularly useful when that precursor tends to be absent in one's diet, and especially when the particular precursor supplemented is 'higher up' in the relevant metabolic pathway, 'skipping a step' in the usual synthesis, but numerous complications and exceptions abound.

Producing more dopamine:

Abnormal dopaminergic function correlates with schizophrenia (as dopamine antagonists are used to treat hallucinations and delusions, and death of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra has been linked to Parkinson's disease. Indeed, long-term methamphetamine abuse correlates with development of Parkinson's.

L-Tyrosine - precursor to dopamine and the adrenal hormones norepinephrine and epinephrine. Under normal conditions, we take in sufficient dietary tyrosine to saturate tyrosine hydroxylase, so supplementation should be unnecessary. However, if you eat poorly while tweaking, such supplementation could prove beneficial in ameliorating the crash that follows amphetamine use.

Producing more serotonin:

5-htp - a famous and much talked about supplement. Serves as the precursor to serotonin. It is generally used to treat depression, insomnia, headaches and suppresses appetite. The synthesis of serotonin is far slower than that of dopamine, and intake of dietary tryptophan tends not to be at optimal levels. For this reason, supplementation with 5htp following serotonergic stimulants (eg, MDMA) is a good idea. Tryptophan might be even better, as a lot of 5htp converts to serotonin before reaching the brain (serotonin cannot cross the blood-brain barrier.

Stimulant tolerance prevention:

Anecdotal reports and limited studies on animals suggest that NMDA antagonists show promise in slowing the accrual of tolerance to amphetamines when taken concurrently. Reports also suggest these agents useful in speeding reduction in tolerance to amphetamines during breaks from stimulants. Examples of NMDA antagonists include DXM, ketamine, memantine, acamprosate, and to some extent magnesium. Epigenetic changes and inhibition of the activity of tyrosine hydroxylase are also implicated in the development of tolerance to amphetamines (and inhibition of tryptophan hydroxylase in the development of tolerance to meth). Some preliminary evidence points toward varied agents' use in combating and reversing such epigenetic changes.

This thread details relevant research and anecdotes

Taking these drugs WILL NOT reduce tolerance or prevent accrual completely.

Note: Tolerance levels develop very rapidly in amphetamines, it is very common for amphetamine tolerance to increase as much as 100% per day of a amphetamine binge. Tolerance to amphetamines also reduces far more slowly with breaks in comparison to other classes of drugs.

Other drugs in helping amphetamine comedown/abuse

Benzodiazepines- covers the user in a "blanket" after amphetamine/stimulant use. Very helpful in falling asleep and reducing anxiety.

Unfortunely, there are some major drawbacks to benzos. Benzo addiction is also a bitch, most people describe it as the WORST withdrawal symptoms you will ever face. Some symptoms of the wd's include tremors, seizures, or even coma. Use of benzodiazapines to comedown from amphetamines more often than once a week presents a risk of dependence. Many users of amphetamines find themselves poly-drug addicted due to what they use to 'come down'.

Some examples of benzodiazepines include valium, xanax, and kolonopin.

Bendadryl (Diphenhydramine) - help reduce nausea and vomitting, as well as causes drowziness, which may help the user fall asleep. Also may be used as an anti-anxiety and as an anti-parkison pill (helps reduce the "shaky" feeling you get after speed use). Another variation of bendrayl is dramamine (Dimenhydrinate), which is proclaimed -50% as potent as diphenhydramine.

Some people report that they sleep they receive while on drugs such as bendrayl is very erratic and consists of nightmares. In cases of overdose, anti-cholinergics like Benadryl will cause frightening hallucinatory delirium, so don't push the dose too high to try to 'beat' lingering stimulation.

GHB (Gamma hydroxy butyrate) - people call this liquid X, the positive effects of this in relation to stimulant safety include muscle relaxation. Other effects caused by this drug are: Intoxication, increased energy, happiness, desire to socialize, loss of coordination due to loss of muscle tone, and possible nausea.

Bad effects of this drug include drowsiness, dizziness, amnesia, vomiting, loss of muscle control, respiratory problems, and loss of consciousness.

The risk of addiction rivals benzodiazapines, so please use sparingly.

I've also heard that using certain opiates such as vicodin the night after you have used the amphetamine can help you sleep better. I have tried this, and I ended up puking 3 times throughout the night.

Kava Kava, marijuana, or other mild relaxants may ease the comedown. If you are prone to getting anxious from marijuana, though, it may do more psychological harm than good.

Alcohol may also ease the symptoms of an amphetamine crash, but it will also exacerbate dehydration. You also don't want to face the hell of a combined amphetamine and alcohol hangover.

In conclusion

Like I stated before, this faq is mostly intended to help stimulant users be more safe in their usage by stating precautions/medication/supplements one can take to reduce the negative effects of stimulants. This faq does not give out basic information such as duration, dosage and effects of stimulant substances.

If you feel like your usage of amphetamines/stimulants have increased or become extremely high the best thing to do is to quit the drug all together. The use of supplements and certain drugs may only partially help the negative effects of stimulants, the best thing to do if you feel like your life has gotten out of control is to quit.

If you feel like I have missed something in this faq or have provided incorrect information please contact me and I will try to change it as soon as I can.

Last edited:
No prob. Can't really stand things written on the topic being wrong or misleadingly incomplete. Could you please change the title to "The Safer use of stimulants FAQ revised"? Not seeing a retitle option in my edit screen.

ebola

Perhaps you could add NAC (N-Acetyl-Cystein) in the "helpful supplements" portion as it has been shown that NAC may protect dopaminergic neurons from neurotoxicity associated with amphetamine and MDMA use.
Also, Acetyl-L-Carnitine for prevention of tolerance, prevention of neurotoxicity.

Some studies:
ACLAR: PMID: 18077579
NAC: PMID: 16760923

Last edited:
Good idea. Really, any long-acting anti-oxidant than crosses the BBB barrier fits the bill.

ebola

Have a draft (didn't check for typos with the last edit). Maybe this could use a different pair of eyes.

Everything on your article is all very correct and important.

I found a combo that works for me to pretty much eliminate the shitty withdrawal.

600m Seroquel/100 mg Vistaril/100 mg Trazodone/2 mg Xanax/1200 mg Neurontin

It's pretty much all sedatives... that doesn't even make me tired but gets rid of the sick feeling. Helps with psychosis, nausea, sleep, anxiety, blood pressure, and seizures from the withdrawal.

I love it - and there's a lot of great information in there. Perhaps we could recruit Epsilon Alpha (what with his huge amphetamines thread that has covered so much) to contribute, too? I feel like a little more length would be good. But fantastic job, ebola!! Really, love it :)

~ vaya

Why thanks. I actually began this project because TruthSpeaker's original FAQ was riddled with errors. However, he deserves credit for the larger structure of the piece. I linked EA's thread, but I'd love for him to browse over this. As for the length, I was actually worrying that it was getting too verbose for a general audience. This is good to hear.

ebola

1. Take 5-HTP out of your list. Look up seratonin syndrome to find out why.

2. Vitamin C is good to take, but it will decrease the PH of your blood increasing renal absorption of amphetamine. Just throwing that out there.

Other than that it's a good list.

1. Take 5-HTP out of your list. Look up seratonin syndrome to find out why.

This is only truly a concern when 5htp is combined with other drugs that increase serotonergic function (to a degree significantly greater than methamphetamine does).

2. Vitamin C is good to take, but it will decrease the PH of your blood increasing renal absorption of amphetamine. Just throwing that out there.

Vitamin C will not decrease blood or urine pH to a significant degree, as blood pH is highly regulated, kept within a highly specific set of parameters in healthy individuals. Vitamin C might reduce GI tract pH to some degree, but insofar as this is a concern (I'm not sure how much of one it is, as stomach acid is already really acidic), one may consume antacids.

ebola

Last edited:
No prob. Can't really stand things written on the topic being wrong or misleadingly incomplete. Could you please change the title to "The Safer use of stimulants FAQ revised"? Not seeing a retitle option in my edit screen.
How's that? Haha and only two and a half months this time.. Now that's progress, no?

I think this is looking pretty good. Anyone see anything else you want to edit before we upload? Vaya, did you manage to get ahold of EA about possible additions?

Such a worthy faq, why so little responses I do not understand, thank you Bluelight and ebola? for the valuable information.

If you'd like to contribute, seers_eye, please post any relevant info here and I'll add it to the Wiki and credit you as a contributor!

One general comment I'd like to add about stimulants is that while it can be tempting to try and "prolong" an amp or coke ride with tons of coffee, this will only make the comedown way, way, WAY worse.

One general comment I'd like to add about stimulants is that while it can be tempting to try and "prolong" an amp or coke ride with tons of coffee, this will only make the comedown way, way, WAY worse.

Quoted For Truth, Jimmy_Pop :)

Okey i had to register just to say "Are you crazy?" I mean in my understanding the nausea is caused by hypertension, to counteract the nausea with anticholinegics instead of trying to counter the hypertension just seems very very dangerous to me when you can continue to raise the dosage and pressure even more. And exercise is not nessesary bad, I agree that endurance trainging is unwise but heavy lifting dilate bloodvessels in the muscles with higher energy demand and decreeses blood pressure. Blood pressure would according to me be much more important than BPM to keep in check, nausea is your friend if you aint got a BP monitor.

Edit; But it must depend on which stim and who you are. On some stims it might be heart rate that are more important but if nausea sets in your systole is severely high and danger can be evident even at heart rates of 60 BPM. If nausea sets in your BP can be over 200 and if vomiting occurs it might be closer to 300 mmHg.

Last edited:
Okey i had to register just to say "Are you crazy?" I mean in my understanding the nausea is caused by hypertension, to counteract the nausea with anticholinegics instead of trying to counter the hypertension just seems very very dangerous to me when you can continue to raise the dosage and pressure even more.

This is for the most part not the case. Stimulants appear to trigger nausea via some more direct, neural mechanism distinct from their cardiovascular side-effects. Indirect dopaminergic agonism looms large, as d2 agonists are quite reliable nauseating agents. But really, if experiencing hypertension so significant as to pose danger, the dosage of the stimulant is too high in the first place, so there won't be that much one can do at home to combat the hypertension directly.

And exercise is not nessesary bad, I agree that endurance trainging is unwise but heavy lifting dilate bloodvessels in the muscles with higher energy demand and decreeses blood pressure. Blood pressure would according to me be much more important than BPM to keep in check, nausea is your friend if you aint got a BP monitor.

Right, but I wouldn't do a set that fits within a serious lifting regimen while high, as distorted perception of exertion could lead to injury.

ebola

Thanks for the informative responses, ebola?!