• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Hey ladies! Do you use a menstrual cup?

InvisibleEye

Bluelighter
I'm in the midst of my first cycle using a Diva cup and I'm loving every second of it :)

Menstrual cups are little silicone cups (they look like diaphragms, but a little bigger) that can be used to collect menstrual blood. Pros: reusable (wash and insert, that's it!), healthy (no risk of toxic shock syndrome) cheap (no need to buy pads or tampons anymore) and environmentally friendly (the same cup can be used for 10 years). Cons: can be a little tricky to use at first. Frankly I don't see any other cons.

Any fellow BL'ers wanna share their delight or their experiences? I'd be happy to hear about the 'cons' because right now I just feel like starting my own cult - the Diva Cup Veneration Church ;)

You must have ESP--I was going to start a thread about these the other day. :)

I bought a Moon Cup (the US version [not the UK version from a different company], which is just a latex-free version of the same company's The Keeper). I started using it during my last cycle and love it. I agree with all your pros and cons, especially the zero risk of toxic shock syndrome--That always worried me and kept me from wearing tampons. It is a little tricky to get the Moon Cup out sometimes, but not impossible or anything--Not like it can just keep going upward. ;)

Depending upon which cup you buy, some offer a no-hassle return policy. The site I bought from offers a 90-day return policy. ...Which I won't be needing. :p

I never tried it... I mean its a cup to hold period blood... to me that sounds soooooooooooooooooooooooo wierd. like how does it get in or can it get stuck like inside you?.... ohmygod. like tampons can give you Toxic shock syndrome... and all but i would rather use that then get a cup stuck iside my body with a mini pool of blood. Oh god i probs sounds like a idiot righting this.

-Ali

wait how do they prevent toxic shock syndrome? Is it more related to a tampon than a pad? I was under the impression you could still get tss from a pad, its just caused by the bacteria in the 'dirty blood' sitting in/around the vajay for way too long? and then it causes an acute infection? am i just misinformed? inform me ladies! <3

I'm interested about these things. I am a pad person because tampons make me too dry/i pee a lot/i feel the need to change a tampon every time i pee. I wear tampons if I'm gonna be exercising or doing something where I don't want the irritation of a pad. But its pads during sleeping, around the house, and at work when I'm just sitting. Is the diva cup comfortable when you're running or riding a bike? How often do you, um, empty it? What about when you pee? What do you do with it then?

Toxic shock syndrome is related to tampons more than pads, from what I've read. High-absorbency tampons made from synthetic materials (rayon and polyester) were put on the market in the early 80's and the rate of TSS increased dramatically. That's why there are warnings leaflets in tampon boxes, to make sure all users are aware of the risk when using Super tampons on light period days. Link to the Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxic_shock_syndrome.

I don't see as unhygienic, personally, maybe because it's made out of silicone and nothing adheres to that kind of surface? It's not smelly at all, much less than pads or tampons. It does need to be cleaned, with soap and water and you can clean it in boiling water as well - it's a solid little thing! And surprisingly it's not messy at all, you just take it out, empty it, rinse it and put it back in. Haha!

Last edited:
@ euphoria: it's actually very comfortable for riding a bike and rollerskating, you don't feel it at all. I haven't tried swimming while 'wearing' it. Silicone is very soft and flexible, there's a little stem at the base of the cup but it can be cut off to make a perfectly round base. So you really don't feel anything (if you've inserted it correctly). Other brands have different designs, though. I bought a Diva because that's the brand they sold at my uni coffee shop, but there are a few other brands available. There are even brands specifically made for collecting blood for stem cell research, that's great, you could even drop your blood at your uni biology lab for the future of mankind! Haha!

Now, as for the 'technical' aspects: the cup sits on the walls of the vagina - it gets 'sucked' there and just sits there. You actually hear a little suction noise when the cup finds its position. You can pee etc. without being bothered by it, unless you.. ummm... have a huge effort to make then I guess your muscles relaxing might 'release' the cup, theoretically... But that hasn't happened :D To take it out you have to pinch the base of the cup, inside your vagina, to release the suction and pull the cup out. So the fact that it stays there because of suction makes it very stable. I have 'lost' tampons in the toilet (with no. 2) but I can't imagine it happening with the cup, it just feels like it's really stuck there.

Last edited:
Biggest advantage in my opinion: you save A LOT of money in the long run.
My period averages 4 days. That's 2 different kind of tampons (light + medium), plus pantiliners and pads at night. Tampons are 8$ a box, X 2 = 16$; pantiliners and pads are 5$ X 2 = 10$. Total is 26$ and that lasts less than 2 months.
The cup cost me 32$ and that's all I'll need for a few years. And you don't even have to think about packing all those different stupid little pads and tampons when you're traveling. How great is that?

I never tried it... I mean its a cup to hold period blood... to me that sounds soooooooooooooooooooooooo wierd. like how does it get in or can it get stuck like inside you?.... ohmygod. like tampons can give you Toxic shock syndrome... and all but i would rather use that then get a cup stuck iside my body with a mini pool of blood. Oh god i probs sounds like a idiot righting this.

-Ali
To get it in, you fold it up a little and put it in similar to how a tampon gets put in. No, it cannot get stuck inside of you, though sometimes it can be a bit difficult to get out. But with practice and relaxation, it'll come out in time. :) View this for more information.

I'm interested about these things. I am a pad person because tampons make me too dry/i pee a lot/i feel the need to change a tampon every time i pee. I wear tampons if I'm gonna be exercising or doing something where I don't want the irritation of a pad. But its pads during sleeping, around the house, and at work when I'm just sitting. Is the diva cup comfortable when you're running or riding a bike? How often do you, um, empty it? What about when you pee? What do you do with it then?
I hear ya about being a pad person because of those reasons--But I am loving the Moon Cup I bought! You can totally pee with it in--It does not get in the way, and unless you push reallllly hard, it won't pop out. :p

I haven't run with the Moon Cup in, nor have I ridden a bicycle with it in, but I don't see how either of those would be uncomfortable since the cup is silicone, not hard plastic or anything.

To empty it, you reach inside of your vagina and grab the stem or underside of the cup. You firmly grip it and pull downward, similar to a tampon. Then you continue pulling gradually, supporting the cup with your fingers, and it will come out without spilling. And no!, your fingers won't be full of blood or anything--The blood is IN the cup! Then you just empty the cup into the toilet, rinse it and your hands either with water or with soap and water, and reinsert it.

I empty mine every 4-8 hours, though a few days I let it go about 12 by accident. Had no issues with it getting too full or anything.

Sounds unhygienic. Wouldnt you get blood all over your fingers? :\
I repeat: "And no!, your fingers won't be full of blood or anything--The blood is IN the cup! Then you just empty the cup into the toilet, rinse it and your hands either with water or with soap and water, and reinsert it."

If anyone has anymore questions, I highly suggest they view this and/or this. Both are very informative. I bought the Moon Cup from the makers of the second website (thekeeper.com), but I'm sure the other is up to par. :)

And yes, the cost savings is outstanding. Not to mention the impact on the environment throwing away all those pads/tampons makes.

If getting this cup is really too scary for you, I highly suggest you at least get reusable pads or sea-sponge tampons--Much more friendly to the environment. Those can be purchased from the "How to Purchase" link on thekeeper.com site I already linked you to. (I'd provide a direct link but I'm keeping in line with the "no sources" rule. :p)

Geez, Addi got to this thread before I even had a chance!

I bought a Keeper back in August and although there were some complications with purchasing (I bought it from the wrong website, meaning that my check went to some random place in Ohio), I voiced my concerns and was able to still have the product sent to my house.

ANYWAY. I have to say I absolutely love it. It's so clean and I don't have to worry about my mom yelling at me: "why do I see tampons in the garbage can?!" It's really easy to use and trust me, you don't have to worry about you not putting it in right because it conforms to your cervix. So even if you're in a rush and half ass it and you're worried about it spilling, it won't.

Honestly, it's probably the best feminine article I've spent money on in a long time. It's perfect. Yes, sometimes it creeps up your cervix, but you can just flex your vaginal walls and the stem will come out so you can take it out.

I had my reservations, but I'm glad I made the purchase.

It just feels so much cleaner... honestly, I almost enjoy having my period now because I know I won't have to think about it anymore. If your menstrual flow is light or medium (in 'tampon-industry' terms) it is just perfect - you just insert the cup in the morning and take it out in the evening. That's it, that's all, no worries, no pain from trying to retrieve a dry tampon. I really think that using this little device has changed the way I perceive my physical body (sorry if that sounds weird, English is a foreign language to me).

^wow. you really kinda sold me on at least trying this. i go camping/hiking a lot, and I feel like this would be super useful during camping as its difficult to dispose of used tampons/pads in the forest. i wouldn't litter them, and its a pain in the ass to pack them up and take them with you. just rinsing something would be great for long outdoor trips that happen to fall on the same day as my cycle. plus you don't have to remember to always have a supply of pads/tampons in your purse or wherever you are going.

^ WOW, that site would've been quite beneficial a month ago before I bought mine!

Though I'm still very happy with my purchase of (The Keeper) Mooncup. :p

I like it so much that I'm thinking of buying one as a Xmas gift for a friend of mine. Can't wait to see her reaction :)

I like it so much that I'm thinking of buying one as a Xmas gift for a friend of mine. Can't wait to see her reaction :)

rofl... stocking stuffer!!! i love gifts that are funny but also totally useful. i would laugh but totally appreciate it if someone got it for me as a present.

Awesome thread. But be careful ladies, keep this up and they'll have you registering for the draft before you know it!

What happens when your cup runneth over?
I've read the average cup's capacity is more than most women menstruate in a day, but I've also read the average capacity is more than most women menstruate their entire cycle. Because of this conflicting information, I bought a cloth panty liner with my (Keeper) Moon Cup. I have not had it leak, but I've only worn it half a cycle.