• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy DXM Thread - Part 2 - Robojesus, forgive us our sins

You can't expect certain things to happen on ANY trip. You just have to go along with the vibe of the trip. It sounds like you wanted to get some deep insight into yourself, but instead your brain wanted to do art and be creative. You shouldn't complain about it...enjoy it, go with it, let the drug be your guide to enlightenment. Maybe the DXM was showing you that you're a talented painter and you don't know it yet. If you have a drive to do something because of a psychedelic, just go along with it, don't be so controlling expecting a substance to obey your every whim. Maybe the trip was trying to tell you that you shouldn't be so controlling in your life and to broaden your horizons. The fact of the matter is...The high itself wasn't disappointing...YOU made yourself disappointed by trying to control, AND EXPECTING TO BE ABLE TO CONTROL, a psychedelic substance. DXM can OWN you and make you it's dirty little bitch QUICK if you take 2 much and aren't careful. Just know the dose that you are taking and how strongly it will affect you, then buckle up and enjoy the ride. Psychedelics can definitely be tools for mind expansion...BUT YOU'RE TRYING TO USE A CHAINSAW TO HAMMER IN A NAIL...it just ain'ta gonna work fo ya jethro. Wanna have a good, insightful DXM trip...Take my advice...
Take 1 4oz bottle of Long Acting DXM ONLY Robitussin brand syrup. (about 350-400mgs)
Wait about 45 minutes to start feeling it...
Download the album MOON SAFARI by the french band AIR.
Smoke a nice joint to yourself while listening to the music...
BLAM!!! You'll be in the middle of an awesome DXM experience which just got made WAY better by the joint that you smoked. Now all you have to do is kick back, listen to the tunes, and visit the moon...trust me you're on your way.
DXM + weed = The only way to take DXM. It helps with the nausea, makes the trip 10X more powerful and insightful, def makes it more euphoric. I won't even take DXM if I don't have at least a gram to smoke during.
If you run into problems on a trip and get 2 high, or scared, or anxious, or whatever...All you need is a benzodiazepine...AKA Xanex, Valium, Klonopin, etc....Put it under your tongue, let it dissolve, you'll be calm in 5-10 minutes. It will kill the intensity of the trip tho, so only take it if you must. It is a nice exit strategy tho.
That being said...Go along with the trip next time...It may show you a part of yourself that you've never had the opportunity to meet...If you want insight from psychedelics, you need to listen A LOT closer to what they're telling you. You could be the next Salvador Dali and never know because you didn't listen to the DXM telling you to express yourself thru art. THAT would be a shame...

If you have friends to get high with then get high with friends.. some ppl like me are not fortunate enough to have anyone to get high with and can only do it alone, trust me when your by your lonely all the time unless you have mad hobbies, you want to be high.

With DXM though, I wouldn't do it around other people unless everyone else was using it, and the same amount as me, because you just look and act screwed up- I would be too self consious doing it around a bunch of people.. i think it is kind of a loner drug. If you aint go shit else to do and want to disassociate from reality though take some DXM, and put on some tunes, turn off the lights and it makes for a very intresting time.

Mr. Hedges, very well said and I fully agree. The idea of taking a benzodiazepine to calm your mind is also good for when you have started to feel more sober but still have the "afterglow" and your mind starts to wander into the wrong places. Try timing your come down so that you will be in a good place to stop what you are doing and just try to chill out or pass out.

kaity said:
why is it that when i do dxm the next day i willl weigh around 3 pounds lighter? im just curious i dont mind the weight loss but always wondered why, if anyone knows, that happens and if its just me.

its not from experience but its waterloss

Last edited by a moderator:
The first time I got high alone on DXM I didn't take very much, probably about 200mg. It was pleasant, I drew, listened to some Alan Watts lectures and thought about stuff, listened to music, hallucinated a bit.. Last night I tried again and took too much too fast by mistake. I took the gel caps, 40 in the span of 30 mins. Equivalent to 600mg. After about an hour I experienced the nasty stomach side effects, but about 1.5 hours in I was way higher than I expected to be. I had double vision, couldn't walk very well, couldn't read, could sorta talk but too fast and quite confusedly...but my goal for the trip was to use my mind, which I find is often more powerful and I can think faster and more clearly on DXM. For some reason I experienced the opposite during this trip. I usually feel smarter and much more aware of higher realities on DXM but in this case I felt kind of dumbed down, which kinda depressed me...

You really need to start looking around this thread, and related ones linked to in its OP: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/599034-The-Big-amp-Dandy-DXM-Thread-Part-2-Robojesus-forgive-us-our-sins. Please research drugs before you take them (you aren't even aware of the different plateaux of effects from DXM it seems). This is also an informative read. http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/

Why are you surprised that you had an entirely different experience after TRIPLING your dose? 200mg is just a mild headchange for most, 600 can be a rather intense psychedelic Dissociative experience with very significant physical side effects. Also, recreational doses of dissociatives are famous for causing extreme confusion and cognitive impairment, your reported effect of mental clarity was because you took a very small amount of the drug (much less than many would bother with since it is usually considered uninteresting at those dosages). You're seriously expecting the wrong things out of this drug dude.

Do more research and stay safe in the future, were you using a drug with a lower therapeutic index (or if you were taking one of the myriad drugs contraindicated with DXM for that matter), you could have seriously harmed yourself, and that's not cool.

Yeah. High-dose DXM is not a toy...I did 3 1/2 months of research back-to-front on it before my first dose. Longer for most other drugs. I was just impatient because I had never done any other drugs before. I hate to sound like my Dad, but there's no excuse for you to not have learned about what you were doing before diving in.

Now for the other side of the coin...at that dose, not moving is the best thing to do. Throw on some trance, close your eyes, and travel the dimensions with a blacklight on. It's a thing of beauty.

kaity said:
why is it that when i do dxm the next day i willl weigh around 3 pounds lighter? im just curious i dont mind the weight loss but always wondered why, if anyone knows, that happens and if its just me.

Kaity, please start posting all of your DXM related questions here in the Big and Dandy DXM thread. We centralize this information for a reason, it helps keep the forum clear of clutter and maintains our convivial, user-friendly atmosphere. Thank you :)

As for something like an overnight weight discrepancy, I'd imagine hydration, food in/not in stomach, amount of clothing you're wearing, waste material in body, etc. etc. influence it and make such measurements pretty much devoid of meaning.

Last edited:
This is easily the best title I've seen in the past 5 years, and I'm not even a little bit high.

@ Mr Hedges: You're completely right. I didn't intend to come across like a control freak - I almost always completely go with the flow when I am high and let my trip guide me. Even in this trip, I had other intentions in mind but soon enough I gave in to what my body was telling me to do. I'm often creative on DXM, and other times I have spent more time in thought. I guess I assumed both were possible for each and every trip and that I had more control than I did - but my experience of DXM is showing me more and more how unpredictable of a drug it is. I swear each time I get high it's different somehow than the last. Anyway good advice though - I'll try to remain as open as possible for each trip.

Never Knows Best: Again it seems I gave off the wrong impression. I didn't mean to act surprised at the fact that 200mg was pleasant and 600mg was very intense. I've been high on large doses (600mg) several times before and very much enjoyed it, and still been able to think with a new kind of insight and clarity. I've also done a fair amount of research on DXM and I knew I could handle that dosage. I know my body, along with the dangers linked to the drug. As I mentioned in the post I assumed it was more the speed at which I dosed not the amount. Or both together I suppose. But I was also trying to ask more general questions - not just about dosage but about state of mind when high alone on DXM in general and what to do/not do. Maybe when going it alone though I just need to start with less than I normally would with a friend, because I have only myself around. Either way thanks for the tips. DXM, she is quite the strange beast.

DXM first trip - dissapointed (too short)

This is a report about a cat's first DXM trip (400mg) and his disappointment at the lack of duration the high possessed. The Cat had dosed beforehand at around 100-200mg to be sure he wasn't sensitive. He did not find the effects that intense.

He took his 400mg dose last night and found that while it was at its peak, it was great. He had drunky vision, trails when he moved to look at other objects and some flanging and some euphoria. This was great, but it just did not last long enough. After about an hour or so the trails left, wasn't as drunk and lost the euphoria. In about 3hrs, he felt almost sober (although he knows he wasn't), he can swear that it almost felt like he was sober.

The cat wants to know if this is how long the DXM peak lasts, that fun really high, drunk, intense peak. (only one hour?). While he was at this level he realised the power DXM possessed, but once it faded so quick he felt disappointed. The opiate peak lasts about 30min for this Cat. Is DXM the same? As in the really good part is one or so hours? Thanks.

The cat would also like to add that whilst playing a game at this level of highness, he had scores so ridiculously high, he forced himself to move and take a photo with his phone once the score of the online game came up at the end. At the time he was thinking to himself WTF this is crazy ridiculous and so easy lol.
SWIM doesn’t really want to hit a 3 lvl plateau (no interest in spiritual exploration), he wants to use DXM for its fun and interactive purposes.

Help? or any feedback on short experiences?

I've taken DXM honestly about 175-200 times in my life, sometimes for as long as 50-60 days in a row, and at a dose of 750-1100mgs at a time...And I can truthfully say that even tho you are doing the SAME drug every time, it seems different every single time. Sometimes the same dose 2 days in a row would take me 2 different places, sometimes a dose of 700mgs would be as strong as an 1100mg experience on another day. DXM is an odd, dark drug, but it can occasionally be light and cheery...I've had so many different reactions to the drug it's incredible. Just know that with DXM at any dose, you're always rolling the dice...cuz poor mans PCP is NEVER the same experience...I think the longer and more you take it...it may actually get harder to put your finger on WHAT DXM actually does...the things that it constantly does for me tho...Music is ALWAYS beautiful, maybe more beautiful than any other substance...and it always puts a smile on my face, I can't help but be silly and act like a little kid playing in the snow. Other than that, experiences CAN and WILL vary every time you take this drug. BE SAFE and ENJOY! Make sure you have MUSIC...or you're just missing the point...

I've come accross approximately 600 mgs of this drug and I'm going to try it tomorrow. I figured I will start low: 50 mg, just to exclude enzyme deficiency. After this I will take another 250 mg. Now to my question, I've heard only about 1/3 people likes this drug. What makes it so special? Is it the overall dissociative experience that puts people off? I absolutely love dissociatives, so I'm very excited to try DXM.

DXM is bottomless and fathomless. It cannot be appreciated at all with a single experience as it's range of possible effects covers a much broader spectrum than most other drugs. It is not a first choice if you are just looking for a "fun trip" or to feel good. While these are common effects at low to midrange doses, they certainly are not guaranteed. At high doses DXM can be more difficult to navigate than LSD or shrooms at their hardest. However, it can also produce effects that are life changing in a positive way. I had to really use it a lot before I began to grasp its value as a catalyst to pursue spiritual growth. In this regard it has been beneficial for me, but not without a price - namely some very, very frightening and difficult trips that almost put me off it forever, which in my case would have been unfortunate as I would have continued to view drugs as toys to be played with and used as a means toward experiencing pleasure only, and therefore rating their value according to that criteria alone. I now believe that drugs are tools with many different purposes that differ from user to user and are unique to each, and as such I no longer believe that it is appropriate to judge others based on their particular reasons for use.

We do not SWIM here, nor do we refer to ourselves as "cats" or anything else like that.

Would you be aware of any cognitive deficits from DXM use if they do arise?

bing! bing! bing!

it's what you don't see that affects you. if you lose something it won't be there anymore to tell you it's missing.

Last edited:
Mr. Hedges, you say you've taken DXM nearly 200 times in your life and agreed that it seems different every time. You say a 700mg dose can be as strong as a 1100mg dose, and that you've had so many different reactions to the drug its incredible. Synchrojet, you say DXM is bottomless and fathomless. These mysteries of DXM really baffle and intrigue me. It's been different every time for me as well, and I have also at times experienced highs at lower doses that were more powerful than when I consumed greater amounts.

I wouldn't call myself an enormously experienced drug user, but I've done ketamine about 50-100 times in my life, smoked pot for years, and enjoyed acid and MDMA/e a handful of times each. With each of these drugs, which range from dissociative to cannabinoid to psychedelic to whatever class M falls into, I've usually experienced pretty consistent effects that coincide directly to the dose. If I do a bump of K I will be mellowed and amused and somewhat dissociated. If I do a huge line, I will k-hole. My acid trips have ranged in intensity, but it's always been similar types of feelings, thoughts and hallucinations. Pot is consistent, as is MDMA/e (more or less).

So.. what is the deal with DXM?!? Why is this drug different from all the others? Why have I experienced different classes of hallucinations on the same drug? K hallucinations always share common characteristics, as do acid ones. One DXM trip, all of my hallucinations were very tiny, and looked like photographs mixed with silhouettes, very realistic, opaque, perfectly still and far away. On my most recent one, all of my hallucinations were translucent, cartoony, larger-than-life, and filled up my entire vision. Sometimes on DXM I feel worlds smarter, and see reality on entirely different planes. Other times I feel dumbed down and cannot use my mind properly. Sometimes I feel relaxed, mellow and at peace. Other times I feel anxious and psychotic. I could go on and on, listing endless changes and variances in my trips, but that would take a really long time.

I'm basically just looking for answers if you got any, or really any thoughts on the matter. I'm curious about others' experiences and about the science/neuroscience that might somehow explain any of this. Or perhaps it's far more mysterious and cannot be explained by science. Seriously, DXM feels like this hidden, dirty, magical secret that only a small group know about. I'm curious by nature (as I'd assume most DXM-users are), and I want to crack the case!

You have to take DXM in higher quantity if you want it to last. Less than 500 or 600mgs is only going to keep you feeling good for 4 hours at best. Even when you take higher doses 700-1200mgs, it still only lasts about 8-10 hours MAXIMUM, and a good 2 hours of that can be the afterglow affect. If you're not looking for self exploration, but want the fun aspects of the drug, I wouldn't take more than 500mgs, 600mgs ABSOLUTE MAX. Otherwise, you're going to end up somewhere it sounds like you don't want to be. The more you take, the longer it lasts, but the more psychedelic and introspective it becomes. Be careful, it's a thin line between drunken fun and TRIPPY mayhem...have a benzo on hand if things get too intense...

We ain't cats here bruv.

DXM can be a very fickle drug depending on how it is administered. 400mg is just barely scratching the third plateau for most people, I think you need to take more if you want a good experience. Also - if you're taking those infernal red Robitussin gels, poke them open before you take them or they won't evenly empty their contents. If you're using syrups, other pills, or powder, then disregard that.

Erowid doesn't seem to have one of those neat little graphs that they have for e.g. the MDMA "timeline". From memory, a good solid 3rd plat dose (say 600mg) will have a 2 hour onset, a 3 to 4 hour peak, and a 12 hour or so slow coast back to sobriety.

You definitely don'twant to overdo DXM (900mg+) or you're going to end up somewhere very Bad, and feeling like your head's been run through with a fork several times and then filled with sand.

If DXM made me noticeably dumber, then yes I would notice. All smartassery aside, I guess it would be hard (impossible) to tell with nothing to compare to.

I guess what I was getting to was the fact that most people on a memantine (another NMDA antagonist) regimen actually report increased mental clarity after a few days of "brainfog." And aside from this, we know NMDA receptors are implicated in learning. So I guess I was asking if people had heard reports of people saying "yeah, I did dxm once [or a hundred times] a few years back and I really haven't been as sharp ever since" or anything along those lines.

We know drugs of the amphetamine class have the potential to make you dumber through neurotoxicity (though not a concern in reasonable doses). We know weed makes you dumber temporarily but us basically harmless long term. We know alcohol damages dendrites and causes neural restructuring in moderate doses while inducing brain shrinkage over the long term if consumed heavily/regularly. But it seems nearly nothing is known about how DXM effects learning and memory, which is astounding for a legal OTC medication. So I'm looking for anecdotes.

You're somewhere in between "reinterpreting the information to better mesh with your own opinion" and "seeking support to justify your beliefs"

Pot is not harmless. People don't get smarter by doing drugs. You can stop listening...now.