• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

2011-2012 college football thread v. SEC circle jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone please explain to me why USC is unranked? 9-2 with a loss to AZ state (decent team) and Stanford in overtime which was the #4 team in the nation at the time. Wins over a #4 Oregon and a bunch of other tough PAC 12 teams.

I'm guessing humans aren't voting for them, because they're on probation, and can't go to a bowl anyway, so its a wasted vote. Just my guess though.

Also, why is a Texas team, who has lost to every ranked opponent they have played this year and are 6-4 still ranked?

ESPN

I'm guessing humans aren't voting for them, because they're on probation, and can't go to a bowl anyway, so its a wasted vote. Just my guess though.

ESPN

Hmm I guess. Seems unfair that USC drew such a harsh penalty when other schools that did the exact same thing still get to go to bowl games....

Hmm I guess. Seems unfair that USC drew such a harsh penalty when other schools that did the exact same thing still get to go to bowl games....

Tell me about it.

College Football is the only sport where one "against regulations" decision by a player can destroy the hopes and dreams of an entire fanbase. Yet the most institutionally corrupt are allowed to be as corrupt as they want to be.

I'm fucking sick of it.

Meh, seriously considering suicide if the next sport season doesn't work out for my teams.

hey man i feel your pain

#pittsburghpirates
#universityofminnesota
#stlouisrams

now let's make a suicide pact!

hey man i feel your pain

#pittsburghpirates
#universityofminnesota
#stlouisrams

now let's make a suicide pact!

Holy shit. Only one of those teams has hope. But Bradford should give you a fuckload. Rams would be decent this year had they not lost half their offense to injuries in the first game.

I feel your pain.

I am so down for a suicide pact. I don't wanna do it alone.

bradford will never be an elite

i feel gopher football would still be competitive if they hadn't blown that monstrous lead in the bowl game vs texas tech that one year

i think if they never pulled the trigger on glen mason they would still at least be competitive, sure his teams didn't play defense but put a shit load of points on the board vs the best of the best

than again i'm not one to credit/discredit a team's success based on coaching, athlete execution is far more liable

bradford will never be an elite

i feel gopher football would still be competitive if they hadn't blown that monstrous lead in the bowl game vs texas tech that one year

i think if they never pulled the trigger on glen mason they would still at least be competitive, sure his teams didn't play defense but put a shit load of points on the board vs the best of the best

than again i'm not one to credit/discredit a team's success based on coaching, athlete execution is far more liable

Coaching is everything. Look at Florida right now. They have the best recruited team in the country. Miami had a legit #1 class that just graduated 6-6. We lost to inferior athletes for 7 years. FSU has been doing the same for longer than Miami, you just don't hear about it because they are media darlings and never went 5-7 (they never attained the same lows).

Meanwhile, Boise State rapes Georgia, who has top quality athletes who execute to a relative degree. In all my time as a football fan, Butch Davis has been the only guy who recruited well enough to erase coaching deficiencies. He made Larry Coker, the worst coach of all time, a National Champion.

Meanwhile, Randy Shannon recruited really well up until his final year (where recruits didn't want to come because they didn't know who would be coaching them next year) and fielded teams that lose to Virginia.

Coaching is the most important aspect of College Football. If you cannot develop kids, you cannot get them to perform up to their standards. If you don't call the right plays, you cannot expect execution. If you can't evaluate talent, you will end up with a roster that isn't fit to play at Marshall. A great coach can make Minn a top 10 team. The difficulty is in finding a good coach willing to go to Minnesota.

wow you guys really like to kick your Friendly Neighborhood S+G Moderator when he's down!!

I mean, we beat Michigan 7 times in a row (actually 8, but apparently Ken and Co. aren't counting last season)

I mean come on, beating your hated rival that many times is just un-heard of! I will give Michigan this game. congrats on finally beating us, when we are in the downest of all the down years

yeah, Denard the Tard ftw - he FINALLY beat tOSU, finally as a Senior. if he played for the Buckeyes, he would already be sitting on the bench in the NFL for a million dollars at this point

today is a dark day :(

sounds like someone has a case of the outback bowl blues

and regarding coaching, sure their ability reflects on a team but when you see the qb missing open guys, open guys dropping balls, defenders not making the big play,etc, those are impactful and tangible as sin, and often times untimely sway a decision

i've never played football but is it common after a loss for a player to place blame on the coaching staff?

cause i've never felt that way after a loss in other sports

Last edited:
wow you guys really like to kick your Friendly Neighborhood S+G Moderator when he's down!!

I mean, we beat Michigan 7 times in a row (actually 8, but apparently Ken and Co. aren't counting last season)

I mean come on, beating your hated rival that many times is just un-heard of! I will give Michigan this game. congrats on finally beating us, when we are in the downest of all the down years

yeah, Denard the Tard ftw - he FINALLY beat tOSU, finally as a Senior. if he played for the Buckeyes, he would already be sitting on the bench in the NFL for a million dollars at this point

today is a dark day :(

While I hate the Buckeyes and love seeing them lose, I feel for you.

I am always against kicking others while down. Sports pain can be the worst. No need to make people feel worse on bad days. I would kill people if they said some of the things to my face that they said to me on football forums (no one here, people have come close, but it isn't quite the same as the token Gators and Noles that come on Canes boards and try to rub salt in the wound).

Good luck in the future.

sounds like someone has a case of the outback bowl blues

and regarding coaching, sure their ability reflects on a team but when you see the qb missing open guys, open guys dropping balls, defenders not making the big play,etc, those are impactful and tangible as sin, and often times untimely sway a decision

i've never played football but is it common after a loss for a player to place blame on the coaching staff?

cause i've never felt that way after a loss in other sports

A good coach should be capable of getting a good QB. The most important position on the team, and as we often see in the NFL, the best QB's often come from historically bad schools. Look at Luck and Robert Griffin. Also, Matt Ryan comes to mind (decent so far in the NFL, out of Boston College wtf Flutie too).

Position coaches should be able to cure most cases of the dropsies (this is all mental, sometimes a player goes into a funk or is too soft for the college game, but some WR coaches truly have no idea how to teach a kid to catch properly).

And blame on the coaching staff usually occurs after a coach gets fired. Shannon was mostly well liked by his players, so he isn't catching as much heat as he should (although players do say Golden does this and Golden does that, all of which they weren't getting under the "previous regime." Shannon was mostly criticized by players for keeping too much of an eye on them, and it did us little good as some rat motherfucker who deserves to die in Nevin Shapiro still infiltrated the program for two years of his tenure). Coker got a lot of heat his last year. After he left the players couldn't shut up. They were politically correct and all, but it was obvious he did not leave here a popular man with anyone.

I didn't even watch PSU's game today... I knew they were going to get their asses owned. 7 to 45 smfh... You guys let us down, wait we already kind of were. Other than that I'm surprised ohio lost to michigan, how ironic they haven't lost to them since 2003.

The NCAA needs to get their tendrils out of college sports. The fact of the matter is that these athletes create a product that is worth a lot of money. Notoriety for the university, ticket sales, merchandise, TV contracts... all add up to make college football incredibly profitable. These players are the cream of the crop of young talent, yet it is forbidden for them to get paid for what they do. Once again we see the managers at the top reaping the rewards of something that they literally contribute nothing of real value to. Not only is it somehow shameful to get paid, it comes with the penalty of shame on the entire organization. To strip a school of a national title and take away scholarships and the postseason for something like accepting any type of gift (given to you because your talent is worth a ton of money) and then having the same "misconduct" at other schools, yet doing nothing, is absurd.

Im not even a fan of USC, or any of the schools hit by sanctions. I just think the situation is completely unfair, and insane that some people think that it was somehow a just punishment. Creating rules that are difficult to enforce in which most of people that commit them dont get caught, then having immense penalties for the small group that does get caught is incredibly unfair, and can lead to bias when it comes to enforcing the rules.

I know if I was a student at USC I would be pissed that my schools title got taken away, and I had to live with a neutered team compared to what it could have been(10-2 in the PAC-12 this year even after the multiple year scholarship penalty, who knows how good they could have been with Matt Barkley). Then the next year Cam Newton gets busted for the same thing, but everyone forgives him because he said he didnt know about it (just so happens he is on a SEC team 8) ) and he goes on to win the national title.

Last edited:
so all you fucking whiners, why don't you just take a page out of LSU's book? since Ken cheats and her fucking cheating tygahs cheat and Ken helps them cheat because she cheats and cheat and cheat and buy the best players (which is LOL because Jordan Jefferson? LOLOLOL 8)) and win shit tons of games because we cheat and the NCAA doesn't even look our cheating way even though ALL WE DO IS CHEAT because obviously the CHEATING SEC OWNS ALL THE NCAA SO WE CAN CHEAT CHEAT CHEAT UNIMPEDED.

i'm sorry your loser programs don't have the balls to do this cheating/winning thing properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.