• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

The Big and Bangin' Pseudo-Advanced Drug Chemistry, Pharmacology and More Thread, V.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What types of affinities are necessary for us to consider 'conventional' binding equivalent to formation of covalent bonds?

ebola

Does anyone have sources claiming MDMA to be less dangerous than Cannabis? I've heard it before, but I'd like some reliable sources if possible...

Also I'd just like some MDMA studies showing how harmless it really is in moderate doses, or just sources in general saying "good" stuff about MDMA.

Please and thank you!

Does anyone have sources claiming MDMA to be less dangerous than Cannabis? I've heard it before, but I'd like some reliable sources if possible...

Also I'd just like some MDMA studies showing how harmless it really is in moderate doses, or just sources in general saying "good" stuff about MDMA.

Please and thank you!

Do note that most of the studies on users are regarding "E" which usually has DA-releasing stimulants which increase the neurotoxicity (and perhaps even enhance the magic of the trip). Most sources regarding the good stuff about MDMA talk about it's potential therapeutic properties, but I'm not aware of any human studies that test say 25-100 mg of pure MDMA on a regular basis and do a thorough examination of long-term side effects. Erowid's neurotoxicity articles state MDMA neurotoxicity is mostly observed at 100mg+ doses, and they reference that to certain studies.

Also, unless said cannabis doses cause psychosis or intense anxiety causing psychological trauma, or an unusually potent effect on short-term memory for specific individuals, I doubt a study on reasonable MDMA vs. reasonable cannabis use would conclude MDMA being less dangerous overall. It would be less dangerous when MDMA's pro-social and entactogen qualities are beneficial for PTSD/autism patients, but not overall.

Please and thank you!

I would be VERY surprised if you were able to find any sources claiming MDMA to be less neurotoxic than cannabis. I say this because of the wealth of information regarding MDMA's neurotoxic effects and lack thereof for cannabis. Also, from personal experience I can say that daily, habitual cannabis usage leads to negligible effects on cognition and psychological performance, while the same can most certainly not be said about MDMA.

If you like, I can PM you several articles that examine the toxicity of MDMA when I am back home with my stash of articles in a few days.

What makes D2-like receptors dysphoric and D1-like receptors euphoric? Does it have to do with cAMP and PKA? How can phosphorylation create a subjective experience through information feedback?

dysphoric said:

Who are you hearing this from? AFAIK, this has no basis in any research.

airshow said:
What makes D2-like receptors dysphoric and D1-like receptors euphoric?

Er...it doesn't make much pharmacological sense to call a specific receptor euphoric or dysphoric. D2-like receptors are more localized to the nucleus accumbens, so I would have expected specific direct agonists for d2-like receptors to more reliably elicit subjective ratings of 'liking' the drug. However, none of these agonists make for good recreational compounds.

ebola

Who are you hearing this from? AFAIK, this has no basis in any research.

Er...it doesn't make much pharmacological sense to call a specific receptor euphoric or dysphoric. D2-like receptors are more localized to the nucleus accumbens, so I would have expected specific direct agonists for d2-like receptors to more reliably elicit subjective ratings of 'liking' the drug. However, none of these agonists make for good recreational compounds.

ebola

BBC covered this and said that MDMA in moderate use was less dangerous than Cannabis use. Cannabis isn't harmless, that's for sure.

dysphoric said:
BBC covered this and said that MDMA in moderate use was less dangerous than Cannabis use. Cannabis isn't harmless, that's for sure.

Did the comparison presented argue that moderate use of MDMA is less dangerous than use of cannabis at the same frequency? If so, that's freaking weird.

ebola

Thanks for dodging my question with a obvious yet unproven possibility and reducing its validity with an appeal to ridicule.8)

You'll have to be a lot more specific. Tolerance to the analgesic effects of opioids, tolerance to psychedelics, tolerance to dopaminergic drugs, etc... are all seperate things.

Ok I think I have my answer to that. How about?

What is 5-HT7s role in memory and learning and perhaps LTP?

That is a completely separate question from the time course and eventual outcome of tolerance accrual for various ligands agonizing or antagonizing various receptors.

ebola

i haven't actually seen the BBC episode in question, but i believe i have read the study it was based on. the study also included the social, legal, family, and financial impacts of being a user of each drug. with those factors included i can see how marijuana could be considered more dangerous. still sorta a crapshoot though =p i guess i'd have to look at the study again/watch the show.

Moderate use of MDMA is what, once a month or less frequent? I don't see how toking once a month could have worse auxiliary consequences...

ebola

Well, I quit smoking cigarettes. My question is, is how long does it take for my brain to balance itself after quitting Nicotine? I still want to smoke and keep it as a social thing (I did well for about a year and then got too cocky and started smoking everyday which soon led to a year long dependency [2-3 cigs a day]), but when is it safe to smoke again? What I'm asking is, is how long until my brain doesn't want or need it anymore and kind of forget about it?

I'm on my 15th day now, BTW.

Another question is, will my Dopamine receptors be more sensitized after cessation? I heard it causes a lot of desensitization to D2 receptors? If so, will I feel my Desoxyn a lot more now? I've also been off of that for a year now.

Last question. Does Nicotine or anything in the Tobacco help protect against certain neurotoxicity from Meth/Amps because of its MAO properties? I also heard this.

I would speculate that Tobacco should have neuroprotective effects due to the MAO-A inhibiting effects from memory Harmine is the compound responsible.

I had an issue of social smoking becoming a habit, and decided to abstain. It's been about 21 days so far and even though I was a very light smoker (3-4 a night) I still have the occasional craving, but felt "normal" after a few days.

I don't think you'll ever be able to look at a cigarette in the eyes of a non smoker for a very long time, but I would speculate based on my own experiences your nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and MAO-A levels should be normal in around a week. If anyone can contribute some real information it would be wonderful!

I would speculate that Tobacco should have neuroprotective effects due to the MAO-A inhibiting effects from memory Harmine is the compound responsible.

I had an issue of social smoking becoming a habit, and decided to abstain. It's been about 21 days so far and even though I was a very light smoker (3-4 a night) I still have the occasional craving, but felt "normal" after a few days.

I don't think you'll ever be able to look at a cigarette in the eyes of a non smoker for a very long time, but I would speculate based on my own experiences your nicotinic acetylcholine receptors and MAO-A levels should be normal in around a week. If anyone can contribute some real information it would be wonderful!

Thanks for the reply!

But do you know anything about cessation from Nicotine and Dopamine? That's my last question I want answered. I heard Nicotine does a fair share of down-regulation (Desensitization) on Dopamine receptors. Is this true? If so, how long until they're "Up-regulated" or Sensitized again?

Tobacco actually partially inhibits MAO-B, and it is unknown how.

ebola

Status
Not open for further replies.