• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Quote Me A Piece Of Writing That You Really, Really Love :)

A woman is like a tea bag you cant tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water - Eleanor Roosevelt

I haven't gotten around to reading the actual novel yet, but the opening passage of Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man has always stood out to me.

“I am an invisible man. No, I am not a spook like those who haunted Edgar Allen Poe; nor am I one of your Hollywood-movie extoplasms. I am a man of substance, of flesh and bone, fiber and liquids—and I might even be said to possess a mind. I am invisible, understand, simply because people refuse to see me. Like the bodiless heads you see sometimes in circus sideshows, it is as though I have been surrounded by mirrors of hard, distorting glass. When they approach me they see only my surroundings, themselves, or figments of their imagination—indeed, everything and anything except me.”

Might make this the next novel I pick up on my list, although I've been slacking on my reading lately, so it might be awhile.

...literature counteracts economic, political or pragmatic forms of interpreting and instrumentalizing human life, and breaks up one-dimensional views of the world and the self, opening them up towards their repressed or excluded other. Literature is thus, on the one hand, a sensorium for what goes wrong in a society, for the biophobic, life-paralyzing implications of one-sided forms of consciousness and civilizational uniformity, and it is, on the other hand, a medium of constant cultural self-renewal, in which the neglected biophilic energies can find a symbolic space of expression and of (re-)integration into the larger ecology of cultural discourses.

Zapf

Gwendolyn Brooks

THE POOL PLAYERS.
SEVEN AT THE GOLDEN SHOVEL.

We real cool. We
Left school. We

Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We

Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We

Jazz June. We
Die soon.

"Your best days are ahead of you. The movie starts when the guy gets sober and puts his life back together; it doesn't end there.”

ECCaYX3.jpg

"Misfortune, and recited misfortune especially, can be prolonged to the point where it ceases to excite pity and arouses only irritation.”

“Every heart sings a song, incomplete, until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet.”
Plato

Solitude

I have a house where I go
When there's too many people
Where no one can be;

Where nobody ever says 'No'
Where no one says anything - so

There is no one but me

AA Milne

"The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.”
F. Scott Fitzgerald

Waking up this morning, I smile, Twenty four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all the beings with eyes of compassion.
-Thich Nhat Hanh

“It’s a hard thing to leave any deeply routine life, even if you hate it.”
J. Steinbeck