• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Quote Me A Piece Of Writing That You Really, Really Love :)

Jennyfur_Karma_Kin

Bluelighter
:)

Apologies if this has been done before... I couldn't see anything but to be honest I've not got my glasses with me and can't see anything very well =D

My quote is from "The Velveteen Rabbit" and I've bolded my favouritest bit. It always makes me feel better.

""What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in your joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

"I suppose you are real?" said the Rabbit. And then he wished he had not said it, for he thought the Skin Horse might be sensitive. But the Skin Horse only smiled.

"The Boy's Uncle made me Real," he said. "That was a great many years ago; but once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always."

"We went on, cutting back again over the Park toward the West Hundreds. At 158th Street the cab stopped at one slice in a long white cake of apartment-houses."

From Chapter 2 of "The Great Gatsby".

"Still I'll sing for you...sing for you...
So pretty in this cage...
I will sing for you...I'll sing for you...
Be patient, it's a sad song..."
eDWaRD Ka-SPeLL

"One does not abandon, even briefly, one’s bed of nails, but is attached to it wherever one goes. And this results in a striking experience- one which I have called, borrowing military terminology, the situation of the walking wounded. For in virtually any other serious sickness, a patient who felt similar devastation would by lying flat in bed, possibly sedated and hooked up to the tubes and wires of life-support systems, but at the very least in a posture of repose and in an isolated setting. His invalidism would be necessary, unquestioned and honorably attained. However, the sufferer from depression has no such option and therefore finds himself, like a walking casualty of war, thrust into the most intolerable social and family situations. There he must, despite the anguish devouring his brain, present a face approximating the one that is associated with ordinary events and companionship. He must try to utter small talk, and be responsive to questions, and knowingly nod and frown and, God help him, even smile. But it is a fierce trial attempting to speak a few simple words."

William Styron - "Darkness Visible"

^^nic3

"Have you never come across people making light of kirtan, saying: "What is there to be gained by it?" Nevertheless, after listening to it for some length of time, they actually develop a liking for it. Therefore one must listen before one can reflect, and then later, what has been heard and reflected upon will take shape in action suited to the person concerned."
~ Sri Anandamayi Ma

... Kirtan?!?
lol
"it-it-it"
i love that

“You guys just wait and see. We'll stand taller than these mountains. We'll bare open our hearts for the world to grab. We'll see lights where there was dimness. We'll testify together to what we have seen and felt. Life will go on--all of us--crawling; stumbling, falling perhaps. But we will be the strong ones. Our hearts will shine brightly.”

~ Douglas Coupland, Girlfriend in a Coma

"....sugar from your palm? No.
Give me your fingers. Under this hairshirt
steams the vocabulary of the flesh
crosshatched and scarred into meaning."

(from Callaloo by Vievee Francis)

"The violence of the contrast was real and made the strongest motive of education. The double exterior nature gave life its relative values. Winter and summer, cold and heat, town and country, force and freedom, marked two modes of life and thought, balanced like lobes of the brain."

"The boy was a full man before he ever knew what was meant by atmosphere"

"From cradle to grave this problem of running order through chaos, direction through space, discipline through freedom, unity through multiplicity, has always been, and must always be, the task of education, as it is the moral of religion, philosophy, science, art, politics, and economy, but a boy’s will is his life, and he dies when it is broken, as the colt dies in harness, taking a new nature in becoming tame. Rarely has the boy felt kindly towards his tamers."

From "The Education of Henry Adams"

Genesis 8:8;22

" As long as the earth lasts,
seedtime and harvest,
cold and heat,
and day and night
shall not cease."0

^I'm an atheist but damn the Bible does have some wonderfully written poetry. Especially the King James version.

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, "Lenore?"
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, "Lenore!" —
Merely this and nothing more."

The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe. I would have quoted the whole poem but I figured that might be too big a post.

Also the opening lines of Ode on a Grecian Urn by John Keats and of course the famous and yet still controversial final lines.

"Thou still unravish'd bride of quietness!
Thou foster-child of silence and slow time"

"When old age shall this generation waste,
Thou shalt remain, in midst of other woe
Than ours, a friend to man, to whom thou sayst,
"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," – that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."

^I'm an atheist but damn the Bible does have some wonderfully written poetry. Especially the King James version.

"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there wondering, fearing,
Doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before;
But the silence was unbroken, and the stillness gave no token,
And the only word there spoken was the whispered word, "Lenore?"
This I whispered, and an echo murmured back the word, "Lenore!" —
Merely this and nothing more."

The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe. I would have quoted the whole poem but I figured that might be too big a post.

lmao - i thought that was from King James at first...
:-x
ill read several other interpretations before that again(read as child 1/2 of once)

i havent read any Poe besides what i had to in school, and i dont want to...because then i would feel persuaded or too influenced, something. ill read parts of different bibles at random, and let that soak in.

Psalm 4:
4 Tremble and[*] do not sin;
when you are on your beds,
search your hearts and be silent.

#* Or In your anger (see Septuagint)

bedHead...meditate now&zen.
@Pisces
.....?

;)

The reeds give way to the wind
and give the wind away.

Ammons

“We have to create culture, don't watch TV, don't read magazines, don't even listen to NPR. Create your own roadshow. The nexus of space and time where you are now is the most immediate sector of your universe, and if you're worrying about Michael Jackson or Bill Clinton or somebody else, then you are disempowered, you're giving it all away to icons, icons which are maintained by an electronic media so that you want to dress like X or have lips like Y. This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking. That is all cultural diversion, and what is real is you and your friends and your associations, your highs, your orgasms, your hopes, your plans, your fears. And we are told 'no', we're unimportant, we're peripheral. 'Get a degree, get a job, get a this, get a that.' And then you're a player, you don't want to even play in that game. You want to reclaim your mind and get it out of the hands of the cultural engineers who want to turn you into a half-baked moron consuming all this trash that's being manufactured out of the bones of a dying world.”

- Terence McKenna

" The land was ours before we were the land's.

She was our land more than a hundred years

Before we were her people. She was ours

In Massachusetts, in Virginia.

But we were England's, still colonials,

Possessing what we still were unpossessed by,

Possessed by what we now no more possessed.

Something we were withholding made us weak.

Until we found out that it was ourselves

We were withholding from our land of living,

And forthwith found salvation in surrender.

Such as we were we gave ourselves outright

(The deed of gift was many deeds of war)

To the land vaguely realizing westward,

But still unstoried, artless, unenhanced,

Such as she was, such as she would become. "

Robert Frost - "Dedication"

" ... at the moon
at the stars in the north
at the stars in the east
at the stars in the south
at the stars in the west
at the silence of night
at the black dank air
at the howling of jekylls