Bluelight

Thread: Quote Me A Piece Of Writing That You Really, Really Love :)

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1525313233343536 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.”

2. Collapse Details

He spoke, and returned madly to the same reflection, and his tears stirred the water, and the image became obscured in the rippling pool. As he saw it vanishing, he cried out ‘Where do you fly to? Stay, cruel one, do not abandon one who loves you! I am allowed to gaze at what I cannot touch, and so provide food for my miserable passion!’ While he weeps, he tears at the top of his clothes: then strikes his naked chest with hands of marble. His chest flushes red when they strike it, as apples are often pale in part, part red, or as grapes in their different bunches are stained with purple when they are not yet ripe.

As he sees all this reflected in the dissolving waves, he can bear it no longer, but as yellow wax melts in a light flame, as morning frost thaws in the sun, so he is weakened and melted by love, and worn away little by little by the hidden fire. He no longer retains his colour, the white mingled with red, no longer has life and strength, and that form so pleasing to look at, nor has he that body which Echo loved. Still, when she saw this, though angered and remembering, she pitied him, and as often as the poor boy said ‘Alas!’ she repeated with her echoing voice ‘Alas!’ and when his hands strike at his shoulders, she returns the same sounds of pain. His last words as he looked into the familiar pool were ‘Alas, in vain, beloved boy!’ and the place echoed every word, and when he said ‘Goodbye!’ Echo also said ‘Goodbye!

He laid down his weary head in the green grass, death closing those eyes that had marvelled at their lord’s beauty.

And even when he had been received into the house of shadows, he gazed into the Stygian waters. His sisters the Naiads lamented, and let down their hair for their brother, and the Dryads lamented. Echo returned their laments. And now they were preparing the funeral pyre, the quivering torches and the bier, but there was no body. They came upon a flower, instead of his body, with white petals surrounding a yellow heart.

3. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    "Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.”

4. Collapse Details

The Brazen Age

To this came next in course, the brazen age:
    A warlike offspring, prompt to bloody rage,
    Not impious yet...

5. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    I love this next quote, from Jobs' speech. Forgive me if I have used it before.

“Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They're not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them. About the only thing you can't do is ignore them. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.”

6. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    "Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.”
    Last edited by Erikmen; 21-04-2017 at 22:08.

7. Collapse Details

The Iron Age

Hard steel succeeded then:
    And stubborn as the metal, were the men.
    Truth, modesty, and shame, the world forsook:
    Fraud, avarice, and force, their places took.
    Then sails were spread, to every wind that blew.
    Raw were the sailors, and the depths were new:
    Trees, rudely hollow'd, did the waves sustain;
    E're ships in triumph plough'd the watry plain.

8. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    “Well, now
    If little by little you stop loving me
    I shall stop loving you
    Little by little
    If suddenly you forget me
    Do not look for me
    For I shall already have forgotten you."

9. Collapse Details

Dinners and banquets offer easy access to women's favour, and the pleasures of the grape are not the only entertainment you may find there; Love, with rosy cheeks, often presses in her frail hands the amphora of Bacchus. As soon as his wings are drenched with wine, Cupid grows drowsy and stirs not from his place. But anon he'll be up and shaking the moisture from his wings, and woe betide the man or woman who receives a sprinkling of this burning dew. Wine fills the heart with thoughts of love and makes it prompt to catch on fire. All troubles vanish, put to flight by copious draughts.

10. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    "They say when you are missing someone that they are probably feeling the same, but I don't think it's possible for you to miss me as much as I'm missing you right now”

11. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    "Be not afraid of going slowly be afraid of standing still."

12. Collapse Details

Then is the time for laughter, the poor man plucks up courage and imagines he's a millionaire. To the deuce with worries and troubles! Brows unpucker and hearts expand; every tongue's inspired by frankness, and calls a spade a spade. We've often lost our heart to a pretty girl at dinner. Bringing love and wine together is adding fuel to fire indeed. Don't judge a woman by candle-light, it's deceptive. If you really want to know what she's like, look at her by daylight, and when you're sober. It was broad daylight, and under the open sky, that Paris looked upon the three goddesses and said to Venus, "You are lovelier than your two rivals." Night covers a multitude of blemishes and imperfections. At night there is no such thing as an ugly woman! If you want to look at precious stones, or coloured cloth, you take them out into the light of day; and it's by daylight you should judge a woman's face and figure.

13. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    “I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.”

14. Collapse Details

The nymph, when nothing could Narcissus move,
    Still dash'd with blushes for her slighted love,
    Liv'd in the shady covert of the woods,
    In solitary caves and dark abodes;
    Where pining wander'd the rejected fair,
    'Till harrass'd out, and worn away with care,
    The sounding skeleton, of blood bereft,
    Besides her bones and voice had nothing left.
    Her bones are petrify'd, her voice is found
    In vaults, where still it doubles ev'ry sound.

15. Collapse Details

The Dark Side

“Someday, somewhere - anywhere, unfailingly, you'll find yourself, and that, and only that, can be the happiest or bitterest hour of your life.”

16. Collapse Details

The Giants

And lest ethereal heights should long remain less troubled than the earth, the throne of Heaven was threatened by the Giants; and they piled mountain on mountain to the lofty stars. But Jove, omnipotent, shot thunderbolts through Mount Olympus, and he overturned from Ossa huge, enormous Pelion. And while these dreadful bodies lay overwhelmed in their tremendous bulk, (so fame reports) the Earth was reeking with the copious blood of her gigantic sons; and thus replete with moisture she infused the steaming gore with life renewed. So that a monument of such ferocious stock should be retained, she made that offspring in the shape of man; but this new race alike despised the Gods, and by the greed of savage slaughter proved a sanguinary birth.

17. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    “I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close.”
    Pablo Neruda

18. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Recovery Support
    Not really writing but words from a writer, the poet Tony Hoagland, in an interview; so, almost:

I just got back from the Florida Panhandle, near Pensacola, and to me it was something like poetry. On the one hand, the reality of the Arby's and the parking lots and the tattoo parlors and the clam shacks. One hundred feet away, on the other hand, was the beach, the impossible sugar-white sand, and the turquoise, crystal-clear ocean. It was spring break and I know that, a block away, a sophomore named Nancy from Tallahassee was vomiting under a Ferris wheel, and some other kid named Todd was jumping off the balcony of his third-floor room into the hotel swimming pool, and the ambulance was already on its way, and the blue blue ocean was minding its own eternal business. That catches the coexistence of the sacred and profane, which makes the world and makes poetry too. That juxtaposition of beauty and ugliness, of the precious and the appalling, is really important to my poetry. It's a description of the world, and, to me, also a description of human nature, of psychological reality.

19. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    “What I thought was an end
    turned out to be a middle.
    What I thought was a brick wall
    turned out to be a tunnel.
    What I thought was an injustice
    turned out to be a color of the sky.”

20. Collapse Details

INVOCATION

My soul is wrought to sing of forms transformed
    to bodies new and strange! Immortal Gods
    inspire my heart, for ye have changed yourselves
    and all things you have changed! Oh lead my song
    in smooth and measured strains, from olden days
    when earth began to this completed time!

21. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Recovery Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Erikmen View Post
    “What I thought was an end
    turned out to be a middle.
    What I thought was a brick wall
    turned out to be a tunnel.
    What I thought was an injustice
    turned out to be a color of the sky.”

I have this poem in Caleb's shrine--I love it.

22. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    ^

"He that loves reading has everything within his reach.”

23. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    “And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.”

"It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.”

Last edited by Erikmen; 01-05-2017 at 20:06. Reason: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

24. Collapse Details

"Man belongs to the Earth."

25. Collapse Details

The Dark Side
    “Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own.”

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1525313233343536 LastLast