• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Skyrim

As dispointed as I predicted I would be. MORROWIND IS STILL novaKING. Spells are way to strong. Fatigue drains way to fast. bows are under powered. acrobatics is gone so I can't jump off shit. Dialog options are few and far between. Many areas you can just take whatever you want from someones house. sloppily put together, Totally dumbed down. Killed the reason why I enjoyed it in the first place.

So do you not enjoy Skyrim at all? What if you had never played Morrowind (which from what I gather has the least satisfying combat system and menu navigation)?

So do you not enjoy Skyrim at all? What if you had never played Morrowind (which from what I gather has the least satisfying combat system and menu navigation)?
If you have a short attention span.
Skyrim is fun, no differnt than an FPS you take it our, ride it for a few hours and you had fun. Morrowind was engaging, you had to plan your character for your play style. You had to made more choices that are significant. It was like a sim of a medival arcane universe. it was just a deeper experience.

Here's some screens from a particularly epic battle with a dragon & about 20 NPCs at sunset. It's shit hard and I keep dying, but I keep replaying it just for the sheer thrill.
battle4_by_jspete-d4gdjg4.jpg

battle3_by_jspete-d4gdjew.jpg

battle2_by_jspete-d4gdjdk.jpg

battle1_by_jspete-d4gdjbz.jpg

And here's my character:
mage_by_jspete-d4gdja2.jpg

Yeah im rather happy with the dragon battles, i expected them to be very glitchy and for the dragon to seem weak.. but the sound effects on the dragons scream and wings flapping makes the battle feel so epic; i had two dragons attack me at the same time yesterday, thankfully it was in a town otherwise i would of been screwed.

As dispointed as I predicted I would be. MORROWIND IS STILL novaKING. Spells are way to strong. Fatigue drains way to fast. bows are under powered. acrobatics is gone so I can't jump off shit. Dialog options are few and far between. Many areas you can just take whatever you want from someones house. sloppily put together, Totally dumbed down. Killed the reason why I enjoyed it in the first place.

I completely agree. It's like every game they're just stripping it down even more. Jumping from building to building was always fun and I'm still pissed that they got rid of levitate.

I been digging it. Playing as a dark elf, using a nordic bow and magic and falling back on shield + elven war axe when needed. I've mostly been pretty disappointed with the current gen of games so it's nice when one I really like comes out.

And what about Oblivion? What do you think it is? Good? Never played the game but I have it (360). This or Fallout 3, ok this is becoming borderline OOT ;)

I never played Oblivion. I liked Fallout 3 quite a bit but it took me a while to get into it and I still haven't finished it after having it for almost a year, I tend to pick it up for a few weeks then lose interest for a few months. I like Skyrim better, but they're similar.

Fallout is more sparse than Skyrim, there's not nearly as much to do, and I prefer "ancient fantasy nordland" to "post apocalyptic D.C" as an environment.

Overall I'm a little disappointed again, as I was with Oblivion :(

I'll start with the good points. Dragons! The graphics are great, early game-play videos made me worry it wasn't going to look much better than Oblivion but thankfully the HDR is a lot more bearable now and I very much like how this game looks. The game feels very immersive, combat works well, and did I mention.. dragons?

On the flip-side though there are some major downsides. Character development has really been toned down by the way they've made your race pretty much determine what you'll be good at during the start of the game - whereas in older games like Morrowind you could pick whichever race you thought was coolest and despite the racial bonuses any race would fit any role if you played it right. Animations are still horrible like Oblivion. The UI.. jesus christ what the hell, the UI in Skyrim is probably the worst UI out of any game I've played, including some rather horrendous ASCII games etc. I see a menu I want to navigate to, okay I'm on PC so I'll click it with my mouse.. but nope, nothing.. I have to scroll through with my arrow keys to reach it. Really?

It's a much more fun game than Oblivion was, but still doesn't match up to any of the best RPGs, and the UI is absolutely horrible :(

Still enjoying playing it, but I'm treating it like an "FPS with swords" rather than an RPG, since that's what it feels like.

Last edited:
The UI.. jesus christ what the hell, the UI in Oblivion is probably the worst UI out of any game I've played, including some rather horrendous ASCII games etc. I see a menu I want to navigate to, okay I'm on PC so I'll click it with my mouse.. but nope, nothing.. I have to scroll through with my arrow keys to reach it. Really?

You mean to say Skyrim?

Also, have you tried scrolling with your mouse wheel? I wonder if that would work. If navigating menus actually requires arrow key usage, this seems like an absurd oversight.

Actually, on second thought, what seems more likely is that they want to take out any advantages that the PC version has over the console version, and level the platform playing field a little bit (gamepad menu navigation is equally clunky to keyboard usage), to encourage people to choose a console version of the game over PC. Why? Simple -- piracy. PC games are MUCH easier to pirate than console games. Less piracy = more profits.

Last edited:
You mean to say Skyrim?

Also, have you tried scrolling with your mouse wheel? I wonder if that would work. If navigating menus actually requires arrow key usage, this seems like an absurd oversight.

Actually, on second thought, what seems more likely is that they want to take out any advantages that the PC version has over the console version, and level the platform playing field a little bit (gamepad menu navigation is equally clunky to keyboard usage), to encourage people to choose a console version of the game over PC. Why? Simple -- piracy. PC games are MUCH easier to pirate than console games. Less piracy = more profits.

Clunky UI controls on PC aren't going to make a potential pirate fork out £40 for the console version...If they can pirate it for free, they don't care if the controls are a bit annoying.

I completely agree. It's like every game they're just stripping it down even more. Jumping from building to building was always fun and I'm still pissed that they got rid of levitate.

Ha me and my buddy were just reminiscing about levitate in Morrowind. I just remember flying over the mountains with a string of like 6 cliff racers chasing me everywhere. IIRC there was no real fast travel in Morrowind or even waypoints for that matter. Just the silt striders and levitate. Would be cool if they patched it in and would def come in handy for navigating the mountain chains. Nowadays though they'd probably sell it DLC for 8 bucks just like horse armor lol.

Ha me and my buddy were just reminiscing about levitate in Morrowind. I just remember flying over the mountains with a string of like 6 cliff racers chasing me everywhere. IIRC there was no real fast travel in Morrowind or even waypoints for that matter. Just the silt striders and levitate. Would be cool if they patched it in and would def come in handy for navigating the mountain chains. Nowadays though they'd probably sell it DLC for 8 bucks just like horse armor lol.

Computers biotch wut wut.

So I was fighting a pack of bandits and I accidentally equipped ice spike instead of frost bite dual casted it and gave the barbarian ice tits. I loled

Clunky UI controls on PC aren't going to make a potential pirate fork out £40 for the console version...If they can pirate it for free, they don't care if the controls are a bit annoying.

Not necessarily. It might be just enough to sway the few people sitting on the fence between pirated PC and paid console. Think about the people that have less-than-top-of-the-line PCs. Those people might have pirated Oblivion irregardless of having to put up with poor graphics, because that game was clearly much better with a mouse and keyboard. But now that the PC vs. console interface issue is taken out of the question, better graphics and performance on the console might be worth those £40.

Not necessarily. It might be just enough to sway the few people sitting on the fence between pirated PC and paid console. Think about the people that have less-than-top-of-the-line PCs. Those people might have pirated Oblivion irregardless of having to put up with poor graphics, because that game was clearly much better with a mouse and keyboard. But now that the PC vs. console interface issue is taken out of the question, better graphics and performance on the console might be worth those £40.

This is why most people pirate games now. Because their quality has gone to shit. As far as TES goes computer will always be superior to any real gamer, why? Mods.

This is why most people pirate games now. Because their quality has gone to shit.

Honestly I doubt it has anything to do with game quality. I think it's just that people have high speed internet connections, torrent sites are gaining popularity, and it's just become a lot easier in general. There are plenty of high quality games out there.