• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Eating San Pedro Cactus

Here we go ... reducing it down and either capping it, or making tea : ) ...

I'm pretty good with my trips... never really lose control *(yet)*

the 12" I did before was fun, and illuminating, but felt kinda like a cross of low doses MDMA and/or mushrooms

12" has always been plenty for me. Similar to 150ug of LSD in intensity, but more relaxed and a different feel and vibe.

But that cactus has been stressed for like two decades. I wouldn't be suprised by now if it was Peyote-strength ;)

I ended up letting it heat pretty good for over four hours. The sludge w/ peels was about the size of a raquet ball ... I would put a ton in my mouth and chase it with whatever... gaggin while I just simply swallowed whole... Tripped about 20 percent harder this time.... but I still am not impressed. My father and I are going on a desert vision quest (he's ain't done shit) and I think the remaining san pedro will be good for breaking him in

Tripped about 20 percent harder this time.... but I still am not impressed. My father and I are going on a desert vision quest (he's ain't done shit) and I think the remaining san pedro will be good for breaking him in

No way! I'm hoping to have the EXACT same thing with my mum in a few weeks. Giving her a san pedro cutting (simultaneously breaking the news that I do drugs too) and heading out to the desert for a high-dose mescaline vision quest.

Couldn't you do an a/b extraction for your mom? Beats throwing up for hours.

Extracted mescaline is nausea-free. Beautiful drug, easily the gentlest, most forgiving psychedelic.

I've no knowledge of chemistry and I'm guaranteed to screw it up and poison us both, so boiling it down sounds safer. At this point, I'm not even sure she won't freak out that her son does drugs (and knows that she does as well) so I've given her The Doors of Perception to read. Her comments so far: psychedelics are intimidating because they leave you mentally and physically vulnerable for hours, and they're also very unpredictable and could for all we know drive the user insane. Fair points.

This was my one experience with San Pedro

I read what happened to the founder of Bouncing Bear... saw that other web-sites were all "out" and then got 4 12 inch pieces from Amazon. I planted 2 of them. The remaining two I cooked up just like www.erowid.org said to do. I used a deli slicer to make beautiful pentagram like slices about the width of a hamburger pickle. I tossed them with an equal amount of water into a food processor. I ground the whole thing up into a green pulp and then I put it all into a slow cooker. For 7 days I cooked it on low and strained it and added more water to it. Finally I had a pint of what looked like green pea soup. I added the juice of 1 whole lemon, shook it up and drank it down.

May I say: DISAPPOINTING!

For about an hour I saw some faint, snowflake designs superimposed on my perception of reality. After that, nothing!

I can get more visual images by pressing my fingertips to my eyelids!

The cactus looked like the pictures I've seem of San Pedro, and since it is more or less legal... why deceive me? Or was it the way I prepared it?
Lots of questions, but no answers.....

I'd advise to do the food safe mescaline tek. Very easy and you get a powder as an end result which lets you measure doses a lot better.

Mods forgive me if I shouldn't be bumping this thread. No ill intentions just rather not start a new relevant thread when we have this one already started.

So not having access to a blender or large pot right now, I find myself (having done plentiful research on different preparation methods which honestly seem to be based on personal opinion haha, I read how shamans do it including Chavin preparations from ancient Peru where it was partaken of originally, as well as modern day techniques involving a blender or freezing the plant matter to speed up the traditional boiling time of 12 to 24 hours, some folks say you don't even need to despine let alone take off the incredibly thin plastic film like outer layer, no you may just chop it up into small pieces if using a blender) relaxingly peeling off the skin and eating the flesh, not sure if I should eat the white as that may cause the most nausea apparently but eating it fresh is not nearly as bad as people claim. Yes it is bitter, yes my specimen is as potent as the best around. Perhaps because I have been a vegetarian and vegan for over 10 years and a lover of vegetables of all kinds I find it highly tolerable. Ever eaten a Chinese food called Bitter Melon? This cactus isn't half as bitter as that. Sauté some dandelion greens and that will be more bitter most likely if not seasoned. I will keep y'all posted on the effects I don't see why I shouldn't polish off this 12" cut with a respectable diameter right now on this laid back Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
I am nibbling the green flesh after removing the plastic like outer layer and of course not eating the spines lol, also nibbling some of the white flesh but not the circular core part. Not sure how many if any alkaloids are in the core.

Not bad, not bad at all. Goes down easy. Wow. People cannot tolerate bitter foods LMAO. In Traditional Chinese Medicine bitter foods are considered vital for health and are included in the five flavors.

You've probably had Chinese "bitter tea" then? That stuff's bitter..

I've eaten raw san pedro cactus straight up a couple of times, it's doable. I never felt any nausea from it, just had to focus a lot and go slow to get it down and eat it all. Kind of meditative.

You've probably had Chinese "bitter tea" then? That stuff's bitter..

I've eaten raw san pedro cactus straight up a couple of times, it's doable. I never felt any nausea from it, just had to focus a lot and go slow to get it down and eat it all. Kind of meditative.
I'm an avid drinker of Chinese teas. Mainly greens, whites, oolongs, and reds.

If you mean this stuff, no I have not, www.saveur.com/ridiculously-bitter-chinese-tea-that-stops-winter-in-its-tracks

I can see how drinking a preparation seems to be the most ideal way. I will be doing that and reporting on it as I have 3 more cuttings. I think nibbling it is a nice introduction to the cactus and a way to experience the effects gradually for someone new to mescaline, a drink seems like it would induce a full on experience if prepared properly.

How much did you eat by the way, did you eat all of the flesh including that inner circular part resembling a core?

Thanks.

I read what happened to the founder of Bouncing Bear... saw that other web-sites were all "out" and then got 4 12 inch pieces from Amazon. I planted 2 of them. The remaining two I cooked up just like www.erowid.org said to do. I used a deli slicer to make beautiful pentagram like slices about the width of a hamburger pickle. I tossed them with an equal amount of water into a food processor. I ground the whole thing up into a green pulp and then I put it all into a slow cooker. For 7 days I cooked it on low and strained it and added more water to it. Finally I had a pint of what looked like green pea soup. I added the juice of 1 whole lemon, shook it up and drank it down.

May I say: DISAPPOINTING!

For about an hour I saw some faint, snowflake designs superimposed on my perception of reality. After that, nothing!

I can get more visual images by pressing my fingertips to my eyelids!

The cactus looked like the pictures I've seem of San Pedro, and since it is more or less legal... why deceive me? Or was it the way I prepared it?
Lots of questions, but no answers.....
Why on Earth would you cook it for 7 days?

Sounds like a strange way to prepare it. Traditionally 24 hours of cooking was the maximum ideal time back in ancient Peru and among shamans. And they didn't/don't use a food processor or blender.

www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation1.shtml

I would recommend this prep: www.erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation5.shtml

Either your cacti were somehow bunk duds or you followed a terrible preparation or screwed something up.

Last edited:
I de-skinned it and de-spined it. I can't remember if I cut the core out or not, I think I did if it was really woody, but might have eaten the whole thing.

The cactus I had was really fat, 4" or 5" diameter. I think I ate a section about 5" the first time and maybe 7" the second. Neither time was tripping balls level, just really nice and full, epic, love.

I'm not sure what exactly the "bitter tea" I had was, but it's not a tea as in from the tea plant, it was some other herb that is really just pure pure bitter, like quinine or something. I couldn't drink more than a sip of it, and I can handle raw san pedro.

I de-skinned it and de-spined it. I can't remember if I cut the core out or not, I think I did if it was really woody, but might have eaten the whole thing.

The cactus I had was really fat, 4" or 5" diameter. I think I ate a section about 5" the first time and maybe 7" the second. Neither time was tripping balls level, just really nice and full, epic, love.

I'm not sure what exactly the "bitter tea" I had was, but it's not a tea as in from the tea plant, it was some other herb that is really just pure pure bitter, like quinine or something. I couldn't drink more than a sip of it, and I can handle raw san pedro.
Thanks for sharing mate. I really appreciate it. With this knowledge and having become more than comfortable handling and nibbling this sacred cactus, I feel more than ready to eat the entire foot long cutting which is a fatty in terms of width, gotta be more than 3" I don't really feel compelled to measure atm. But I'm probably only eating 8 inches of this one today.

Looking forward to feeling it envelop me.

Also I sense something other than the bitter flavor which makes it somewhat of a chore/challenge to put down. Perhaps your body can sense the strong presence of alkaloids and cautions one in a way to be careful of ingesting what is essentially a toxin.

Not going to be reporting back with effects from gnawing down 8 inches of a cutting minus the core which is quite fleshy rather than woody, but will be surely keep in touch with my tea experiences. The more I eat, the less I want to eat it, most assuredly is my body telling me if you eat this too quick you're gonna get nauseous.

Final Thoughts On Eating San Pedro:

Very worthwhile, palatable, and downright doable without any need to panic over nausea (surely it is the mescaline causing nausea if one experiences it and not the flesh of the cactus), especially if used with a recipe such as found here:

https://erowid.org/plants/cacti/cacti_preparation2.shtml

I do feel that the ancient inhabitants of Peru who used this cactus cooked it as a drink for a reason. People will do as they please with it but I think it's best either prepared raw in one of those recipes above or made as a tea decoction in whatever manner one feels is best. Turning it into a powder just doesn't seem to make any sense to me personally, I guess one either is scared of the taste and wants to encapsulate powder to avoid it (not that bad in all honesty, just bitter but this isn't a cup of juice one drinks for refreshment, well perhaps an inner refreshment of one's mind and spirit) or maybe feels like they're taking a drug if they put it in capsules which just kinda sounds like something your standard recreational drug user would attempt for the sake of just getting high?

Last edited:
One more thing.

I saved the core chunks which I was more than likely afraid to eat yesterday thinking they might cause an upset stomach.

I didn't get any nausea yesterday and felt like if I would have eaten anymore I would have been in territory where I would just have to go sit or lay down in a quiet area as the effects would become strong enough to send me on a journey where moving around or doing some other activity like watching a film or browsing the web would become highly undesirable.

I just ate the core chunks and the remaining 4 inches, cut length wise into pickle shapes. Truly San Pedro made into a pickle recipe would make it very easy to ingest an entire foot cut, but perhaps it is just too much plant material to consume for some, it is alot to consume hence a tea can be ingested as well as digested faster in turn being the best vehicle for journeying with San Pedro.

Eating it seems to hinder your body's ability to assimilate the alkaloids in the most effective way possible for purposes of reaping their psychoactive properties most rewardingly.

This cactus seems like it's best taken out in nature, with other people.

Surely one can take it alone inside or out, but I get the feeling out in a secluded area in a park or something is ideal, always best with more than just yourself.

One thing I should note is how much gas this produces, lol cactus farts. No nausea though. Almost positive nausea comes from ingesting a high amount of mescaline in a quick fashion, and one may either get sick or not.