• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long does it take for Nitrazepam to "fully" take effect for you?

monstanoodle

Bluelight Crew
Yep! Another Nitrazepam thread.

I've noticed that it can take around 2hrs for the full Hypnotic and Anxiolytic effects to be felt for me personally, and because of which I take more than I should.

Am I alone? Does it usually take a lesser amount of time for others?
I take them sublingually if that's any useful info.

Thankyou!

Feel free to close this once good answers are given :)

Normally less than an hour with me, I usually chew em up then swallow. Though with benzos it can be hard to tell when the effect kicks in, subtle drugs that they are. Wouldn't be surprsied if it only peaked after 2 hours but I just didn't notice the peak.

You're quite right - Subtle indeed.
I've been on Benzos for... Jeez I dunno how long. It could be that, when I was drinking heavily, that I would get the peak plasma levels and the Ethanol would creep up and knock me on my arse.

I seem to be getting paradoxical reations at first and then the calm will creep in. Eee I dunno.
I've had... **Checks**... 25mg today, along with pittiful amounts of Diazepam, ~300mg Codeine (all scripted) and, against my better judgement, a couple of swigs of Gin.
Temazepam was just too short acting (20mg, then 10mg a night) so I switched to Nitrazepam to help me not take my Diazepam so soon in the "morning" which worked wonderfully for a short time, but Nitrazepam tolerance is a quick one.

Again, eeeeeeee I dunno.

Thankyou for your reply mate :)

It can easily take two hours for most oral medicine to take effect. It will take longer if you have just eaten a large meal, especially if you did so before you ate the meds. It also depends on how fast your metabolic system is as well as whether or not you have been physically active during the day and hours prior to taking the medication. SO there are a lot of factors that play a role in how fast the medicine works.

The initiating effect - the 'buzz' effect - can be completely absent if you have eaten a big meal before taking the meds because the 'buzz' effect depends to some degree upon the medicine being able to work fast and "all at once" which it cannot do if it has to go through the process of being distributed into the bloodstream via the digestive system along with the rest of the content in your stomach which means the food that you ate before or while taking the medication. This is why you gain the fastest effect if you take meds on an empty stomach - although it's not the healthiest way to handle pills or capsules as most medicine is hard on your stomach.

P.S. It is advisable to drink at least two glasses of water with the pills or capsules. Don't worry, they'll still work fast, it's the food that slows down the process while water does not, so drink as much of it as you like.

A small amount of a fatty snack, like a milkshake to wash it down could help perhaps, since benzos are lipophilic rather than hydrophilic drugs, for the most part they are at least.

For me, generally I'd say an hour or so, although not just after eating. Although I tend to take fair sized doses with nitrazepam, 70mg is a starting non-tolerant dose for me, although I'd prefer twice that. If I'm taking it to get to sleep then ideally I might fall asleep in half an hour to 3/4 hour with a solid (for me) dose of nitrazepam, and antiseizure effects come on faster than that, especially when chewing the buggers up, although I'll usually use chlormethiazole instead for seizure treatment when a fast response is needed instead.

At least, with nitrazepam, its not one of those revoltingly subtle little bastards that you have trouble telling whether its done anything or it hasn't. With moggies, they are at least good at making one sloppy enough that you know about it. Between it, and loprazolam, probably my favourite two benzos if I had to pick. And both of them nitro-benzodiazepines, and the nitro benzos don't tend to know too much about subtlety. Its not a prominent part of their nature.

Nitrazepam(effectively the prototype for clono and other nitro benzodiazepines is an intermediate acting benzodiazepine ~2 hours to peak is fairly standard

Duration and info about benzos available in my detailed post, or more generalized info the benzo sticky

Um,

Loprazolam
isn't a nitro benzodiazepine; just uh, letting you know

Last edited:
Loprazolam does have a nitro group, on the phenyl ring fused with the diazepine ring, same place as nitrazepam. Additionally a chloro group on the pendant phenyl ring and some quite extensive shrubbery on the diazepine ring compared to nitrazepam, but essentially its an highly modified analog of nitrazepam featuring a substituted piperazine-ring-substituted imidazoline ring attached in place of the keto oxygen of nitrazepam.

Its not well known, perhaps, but definitely a nitrobenzodiazepine, just compare the structures of nitrazepam and loprazolam and you'll see it. One of the more recreational benzos IMO. I haven't much other experience with imidazolobenzodiazepines to compare with, but it acts quite quickly and has quite a kick to it although its duration of action isn't huge. Its not so long acting as nitrazepam, perhaps not surprising given the large number of polar metabolic handles on loprazolam for the body to grab hold of and start chewing on.