• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

TDS The TDS grief/bereavement thread

2 months and a few days since my moms car crash, and I'm still dying inside my numbness is overcoming me I feel like I'm walking in a dream.
I wish I could take back time, I wish it were me instead I just can't hold onto this fucking fake hope anymore idk.

Peace & Love

Always say I love you to your loved ones, you just never know...

Learning to Grieve

by Ram Dass

Posted December 15, 2014

It is important, as we get older, to learn how to grieve. Although this may sound self-evident, experience has taught me that it is not. In a culture that emphasizes stoicism and forward movement, in which time is deemed “of the essence,” and there is little toleration for slowness, inwardness, and melancholy, grieving – a healthy, necessary aspect of life – is too often overlooked. As we get older, of course, and losses mount, the need for conscious grieving becomes more pronounced. Only by learning how to grieve can we hope to leave the past behind and come into the present moment.

The older we get, the more we lose; this is the law of impermanence. We lose loved ones, cherished dreams, physical strength, work, and relationships. Often, it seems like loss upon loss. All these losses bring up enormous grief that we must be prepared to embrace completely, if we are to live with open hearts.

My dear friend Stephen Levine has recommended that we build temples specifically for the purpose of grieving, ritual sites where we can feel safe to pour out the sadness and loss that we feel. In the Jewish tradition of sitting shiva, and in the traditional Irish wake, we find such outlets for extended grieving, but these rituals are becoming rare in our culture and are not frequently practiced.

Over the years, in working with people who are grieving, I’ve encouraged them first of all to surrender to the experience of their pain. To counteract our natural tendency to turn away from pain, we open to it as fully as possible and allow our hearts to break. We must take enough time to remember our losses – be they friends or loved ones passed away, the death of long-held hopes or dreams, the loss of homes, careers, or countries, or health we may never get back again. Rather than close ourselves to grief, it helps to realize that we only grieve for what we love.

In allowing ourselves to grieve, we learn that the process is not cut and dried. It’s more like a spiral that brings us to a place of release, abates for a time, then continues on a deeper level. Often, when grieving, we think that it’s over, only to find ourselves swept away by another wave of intense feeling. For this reason, it’s important to be patient with the process, and not be in a hurry to put our grief behind us.

While the crisis stage of grief does pass in its own time – and each person’s grief has its own timetable - deep feelings don’t disappear completely. But ultimately you come to the truth of the adage that “love is stronger than death.” I once met with a girl whose boyfriend was killed in Central America. She was grieving and it was paralyzing her life. I characterized it for her this way. “Let’s say you’re in ‘wise-woman training.'” If she’s in wise-woman training, everything in her life must be grist for the mill. Her relationship with this man would become part of the wisdom in her. But first she had to see that her relationship with him is between Souls. They no longer have two incarnated bodies to share, so she had to find the Soul connection. Two Souls can access each other without an incarnation.

When my Guru died in 1973, I assumed that because of the important part he played in my life, and the love I felt for him, I would be inundated with grief. Surprisingly, I was not. In time, I came to realize why. He and I were so well established in Soul love that, in the years since he left his body, his palpable presence in my life has continued unabated.

That´s very beautiful. And so true. We don´t really come to realize these phases in life as being as important as they are!
Great that you had a Guru. What a fantastic experience that may have been for you!

2 months and a few days since my moms car crash, and I'm still dying inside my numbness is overcoming me I feel like I'm walking in a dream.
I wish I could take back time, I wish it were me instead I just can't hold onto this fucking fake hope anymore idk.

Peace & Love

Always say I love you to your loved ones, you just never know...

Amen

Happy holidays greeney, i hope that you are doing well. I know that your moms passing is still fresh but i know for sure that you will overcome the sadness in time. Stay strong luv.

Mom I miss you so much, I wish we could have hugged and said bye one last time before you got into your car. 10-5-14 RIP mother.

I stay strong for myself to keep it together for dad and the rest of the gang. Fuck mom I cant believe I will never see you, sometimes I pick up the phone and start to dial your number as a habit. I will always keep you close to my heart and talk to you. I will make sure your grandson will have wonderful stories to hear about you when he Is a bit older.

I love you.

I feel the pain in your words. My dad died 11 years ago and I sent him emails and left him voicemails begging him to tell me it wasn't true almost every day for months. It was so unreal. I'm so very sorry you lost your mom, hun. It gets easier with time. You said it best: let the ones you love know you love them and don't take a single moment for granted. Hugs from California

Dermot, my beautiful love died from an overdose of acid, we were meant to move in together, he fell out the 5th floor of the apartment we were moving into, out yhe window killed instantly, i loved you so fucking much, i hated you too for causing me so much pain and heartache, suicide can be such hateful thing, i hated him because he broke my heart, but love over comes it, you had such a zest for life, you lightened up the darkest room, gone a year now and still thebpain is unbelievable, i love you Dermot, my black crow, my dark angel, please help me and look after me, wherever you are now

Love your gothic queen, Rachel xxx

^it's always very tough to lose someone that's dearest to us. Sending you some hugs hun ♡♡♡

Sorry to hear of your loss Rachella.

I lost my grandmother, the most inspiring person I have known to dementia. She pretty much helped raise me and had a huge influence on me growing up as a child. She would encourage me to read books and write, and that is where my true passion stems from. She made life seem like a dream when I was so young. Magical times spent with grandma. To watch one of the most intelligent woman you know slowly lose her mind and wither away to nothing over the course of several years has to be the most painful experience I have had to endure throughout my life so far. I watched her take her final breaths with the rest of my family, holding my own every time she inhaled, waiting for it to be her last. When it finally happened I cried but I also felt very numb to the experience, even at the funeral, where I was asked to read a passage. Even now over a year later.

But it has been hitting me at random times throughout the day a deep sadness. Memories come flooding in seemingly out of nowhere. I will feel incredible pain when I realize how much I miss her. How I could have been there more and by the time I was it was too late because she could hardly remember who anybody was. I wasted so much time. I regret a lot. She deserved better from me. There was not a thing I could have asked from her that she would not have done for me. Love like that is rare and I dont know if I will ever feel that way again. I love you grandma and miss you so much.

I feel so broken.

I had to put my dog down. Literally my best friend. Most of my conscious life was lived with her. I cried to her, I walked her and fed her, we would lay together every night, I played with her, I thought about her all the time since I've been at school away from her. She never cared if I laid my big fat head on her, even if she was riddled with cancer.
She was only 9. It was so hard to watch her not even be able to walk. It just came out of no where.

I don't know how I'm going to be strong. She was my strength. I saw her as I see my family. I had to work so hard to learn to not depend on other people for emotional support, I had to dig down so deep to find the strength inside me to live my day to day life. I don't know how I'll do that. I don't have anyone else to cuddle with or to cry to. I literally lost family. I don't want to be strong. I just want to lay with her one last time.

I regret yesterday. We had her put down, and rather than spending time with my family afterwards I went out with an acquaintance to use drugs. I don't know why. But now I'm back at school and wish I had been able to spend all day with my family to help them since they are all I truly have anymore.

Not much made me happier than my dog. I'm going to miss her. I hope I can finish the semester without crashing. I don't know what else will make me happy now. This was more than just a dog. she was every bit a soul to Me with a personality.

I don't know how I'm going to pretend I'm okay or how I'm going to do well in school or anything. I don't know how I'm going to survive this up here alone. I just want to be with my family now.

Went to a memorial dinnner who my mate who died before christmas the other day. I want to be able to see him one more time so much, I admired him so much.

Made me cry thinking about it.

I am watching, (well I can't even bring myself to go to the hospital at the moment) my mom die slowly from stage 4 cancer, she also seems to be losing her mind in the process too, so I am worried we'll never have a meaningful talk again, and I have left it too late.

I have been there for her whenever she needed me from her diagnoses in March '13 (visiting her everyday, up until a few months ago). I just can't take it anymore. It's a reason I can't stop using oxy and weed, the feeling of sadness about her is way too great for me to bear.

I feel I can't cope with it at all until I use. I feel guilty about everything she did for me and sacrificed, I feel guilty each day I don't visit and generally use opiates to shake these feelings. I use opiates to keep a brave face too. I don't know how I am going to cope alone with no parents ( I have a few good friends though),my father passed away in '04.

I feel guilty each day I don't visit my mom. But I feel as though I can't take in when I visit her now.

I'm so sorry, cat. <3

I only knew him for a short time but we got quite close, I thought he was so cool. I would never normally post this because I can't stand listening to myself because I sound really autistic, but we are the two team leaders in this video from when were at the Fifteen foundation together. Smart motherfucker beat me.=D

He's in it a lot because he's pretty and funny, I don't make such good tv. 6.25 for me and him sitting next to each other.

Daniel <3

My toddler son was murdered in 2002. My beautiful, blonde haired, blue eyed son (he had Waardenburg syndrome that only affected his eyes/really blonde hair .. He was normal otherwise, minus sensitive vision) was a good little boy. People used to joke about how he didnt look like anyone, but everyone said he looked angelic, and he was a little angel.

My oldest daughter had a touch of WS as well, she was born with and still has snow white patches of hair, but her eyes are normal. After I had her, I struggled to have another child. Five years later, I had my second child, a son. My children changed me for the better. I went got a degree in nursing with secondary in dental, I quit drinking alcohol, didn't touch drugs, etc.

My heart yearned for another child, yet doctors warned against it, claiming that because WS skipped my 2nd child, my 3rd child could receive the worst of it, such as being born deaf, or blind. Yet it happened and I was given the gift of my 3rd and final child.

My husband was deployed 8 months after his birth, and I was left taking care of the children pretty much alone, minus some help here and there from family. I relished in being a mom 24/7, my children were my world, and I theirs. They were good kids, I couldn't ask for any better!

Fast forward to me having to go back to work while my husband/their father was away. We really struggled with this issue...we didn't live above our means, we drove older vehicles, etc. but with our youngest son's 4 hr round trip therapy for his eyes once per week, we needed the extra $ to cover cost and what military insurance didn't cover.

My oldest and dearest friend offered to babysit for me while I worked. Trust me, it took me a long damn time and a lot of thought into the decision to allow her to keep them. She was great with the kids, they were always clean and fed when I picked them up, so for months, zero issues.

That Nov. (my son died jan.) I noticed a little difference in her...she was wearing makeup, dressing up more, asking for friday nights off, so I figured she had interest in a guy. It was no biggie but the agreement was..no strangers around my kids, that meant who she dated.

Last night my son was alive, I dropped them off for a 12 hr shift at the emergency room. My son was exhausted, so I gave him kisses, his blankey, and left him for the night. I'll NEVER forget pulling off and him standing at the glass door blowing me kisses as I drove away. Little did I know a few hours later, he'd be dead. ?

I'm not going to relive too much by posting this but imagine preparing on your shift for a child to come in who is in critical condition, then being pulled into a room by crying police officers/supervisors telling you it's your child.

My son was beaten and strangled to death by the monSter bastard scum of a boyfriend of her's...40+ hits to my toddler son's head, 6 inch skull fracture, ligature marks on his neck, his tongue bitten in half from the hits to his head....his blue eyes blood red, I can't..? If he had even lived, the brain damage was too much.

Imagine this bastard getting life without parole, then having his sentence reduced to 20 yrs over a technical error, when he was out on parole at the time for kidnapping/beating his ex almost to death and leaving her in the woods. Yeah, fucking shit judicial system. It was a media circus, horrible, my baby was treated like a tabloid fodder instead of a human being.

My last memory of my baby is of him in a sailor suit in a coffin. My two remaining children had years of therapy for semi witnessing what happened that horrible night. That bastard picked on my baby because he was defenseless, and couldn't see that well.

I know I joke here (certain sections of the board), I'm also serious at times as well, but the pain I carry inside me is so deep, you can't imagine. I live with guilt every day...guilt for working, guilt for leaving, guilt over all. And I am a bitch, I guess, when I see people be so wreckless with their lives, when life is so precious.

My ex babysitter was damn good at sneaking this monster in, I feel guilt over not seeing things more clearly

I beat her up years ago and I'll not lie, it felt good. I beat her in the dirt and the cops stood by and let it happen without any charges. She deserved what my innocent son got, and then some. She put her twat/needs over the well being of 3 innocent children without any regard for their lives...all I was doing was trying to feed my kids. Maybe it was wrong of me to hit her, but I did.

Last edited:
Wow, that's some real pain to deal with, much love to you <3

What you did wasn't wrong in my opinion, I would have left her brains on the pavement.

You have NO reason to carry guilt btw. I know it's easy for me to say that not being in your situation, but nothing from what you have said here tells me you should carry guilt. You were doing what you needed to do to support your family.

<3<3<3<3

Lilikoi, each time I have read your story it is like getting a punch in the stomach. I cannot imagine such horror. I understand the guilt. No matter how many people tell me that I could not have prevented my son's death, no matter how much I tell that same thing to myself, I will always be on trial in my own head. What I have learned to do with it is to let the voice enter my thoughts, have its accusatory say, and then move on. I imagine that you must have a similar strategy. I often think that were it not for my other son, I would have simply checked out the same night his brother did. It sounds like you also had that lifeline through your two surviving children. How are they doing now?<3

@catinthehat: that program looks fun and I would imagine that it created quite a few friendships. I am so sorry about your friend. Missing someone that has died is a very pure emotion. There is no fix, there are no words of comfort, but I have found that it is one of the places that we truly touch love and understand the fullness of what it is.

My toddler son was murdered in 2002. My beautiful, blonde haired, blue eyed son (he had Waardenburg syndrome that only affected his eyes/really blonde hair .. He was normal otherwise, minus sensitive vision) was a good little boy. People used to joke about how he didnt look like anyone, but everyone said he looked angelic, and he was a little angel.

My oldest daughter had a touch of WS as well, she was born with and still has snow white patches of hair, but her eyes are normal. After I had her, I struggled to have another child. Five years later, I had my second child, a son. My children changed me for the better. I went got a degree in nursing with secondary in dental, I quit drinking alcohol, didn't touch drugs, etc.

My heart yearned for another child, yet doctors warned against it, claiming that because WS skipped my 2nd child, my 3rd child could receive the worst of it, such as being born deaf, or blind. Yet it happened and I was given the gift of my 3rd and final child.

My husband was deployed 8 months after his birth, and I was left taking care of the children pretty much alone, minus some help here and there from family. I relished in being a mom 24/7, my children were my world, and I theirs. They were good kids, I couldn't ask for any better!

Fast forward to me having to go back to work while my husband/their father was away. We really struggled with this issue...we didn't live above our means, we drove older vehicles, etc. but with our youngest son's 4 hr round trip therapy for his eyes once per week, we needed the extra $ to cover cost and what military insurance didn't cover.

My oldest and dearest friend offered to babysit for me while I worked. Trust me, it took me a long damn time and a lot of thought into the decision to allow her to keep them. She was great with the kids, they were always clean and fed when I picked them up, so for months, zero issues.

That Nov. (my son died jan.) I noticed a little difference in her...she was wearing makeup, dressing up more, asking for friday nights off, so I figured she had interest in a guy. It was no biggie but the agreement was..no strangers around my kids, that meant who she dated.

Last night my son was alive, I dropped them off for a 12 hr shift at the emergency room. My son was exhausted, so I gave him kisses, his blankey, and left him for the night. I'll NEVER forget pulling off and him standing at the glass door blowing me kisses as I drove away. Little did I know a few hours later, he'd be dead. 

I'm not going to relive too much by posting this but imagine preparing on your shift for a child to come in who is in critical condition, then being pulled into a room by crying police officers/supervisors telling you it's your child.

My son was beaten and strangled to death by the monSter bastard scum of a boyfriend of her's...40+ hits to my toddler son's head, 6 inch skull fracture, ligature marks on his neck, his tongue bitten in half from the hits to his head....his blue eyes blood red, I can't.. If he had even lived, the brain damage was too much.

Imagine this bastard getting life without parole, then having his sentence reduced to 20 yrs over a technical error, when he was out on parole at the time for kidnapping/beating his ex almost to death and leaving her in the woods. Yeah, fucking shit judicial system. It was a media circus, horrible, my baby was treated like a tabloid fodder instead of a human being.

My last memory of my baby is of him in a sailor suit in a coffin. My two remaining children had years of therapy for semi witnessing what happened that horrible night. That bastard picked on my baby because he was defenseless, and couldn't see that well.

I know I joke here (certain sections of the board), I'm also serious at times as well, but the pain I carry inside me is so deep, you can't imagine. I live with guilt every day...guilt for working, guilt for leaving, guilt over all. And I am a bitch, I guess, when I see people be so wreckless with their lives, when life is so precious.

My ex babysitter was damn good at sneaking this monster in, I feel guilt over not seeing things more clearly

I beat her up years ago and I'll not lie, it felt good. I beat her in the dirt and the cops stood by and let it happen without any charges. She deserved what my innocent son got, and then some. She put her twat/needs over the well being of 3 innocent children without any regard for their lives...all I was doing was trying to feed my kids. Maybe it was wrong of me to hit her, but I did.

I'm truly sorry and sad to hear about all this pain. My God. I send you my best and most positive energies and hope you find a little peace somewhere in your heart.
Erik

@catinthehat: that program looks fun and I would imagine that it created quite a few friendships. I am so sorry about your friend. Missing someone that has died is a very pure emotion. There is no fix, there are no words of comfort, but I have found that it is one of the places that we truly touch love and understand the fullness of what it is.

Yeah it was good for me, I went straight in to a michelin starred kitchen as a chef de partie off that year's apprenticeship. I've fucked up a thousand times worse after doing it than I did before though, but I guess I learned a lot.

I can't really compare my loss to the others in this thread as he was only a lad I had known a couple of years but we were close on that apprenticeship and I admired him a lot. It still brings a tear to my eye when I think about him. I also feel guilty about the fact that the first thought that came in to my head when I heard he had died was 'I hope it wasn't a smack OD' because I introduced him to it. Pretty selfish thinking. Still, I'm going to try and find a way of turning his death in to a positive for the fifteen foundation, I just don't know how yet.

Herbavore, Cat, Erik, etc. My heart goes out to you, too.

Thank you for your kind words. I felt bad about posting but each time, I open up a little more with information. But times feel guilty for joking around about certain things, or being bitchy when it comes from trying to save others from OD. I'm sorry if I offend anyone.

In order to remain anonymous, I refrain from posting the news articles, even if part of me wants to share.

As for the guy who murdered my baby, he's going to be released in a few years. It's heartbreaking to know that he will be walking the streets, such a violent criminal, who's killed a baby and beat a woman almost to death. He is on the child abuse registry, so he can't be near children...period. There's a ass of grown men I know who want to be face to face with him minutes after his release, but I can't promote that violence, even if I lost control on that ex friend, you know?

My two surviving children are doing good. My oldest graduated college, she is engaged to her high school sweetheart. My son is doing well, too. Both will always honor and remember their baby brother, forever! Both visit his grave often, both keep a photo of him with them at all times.

Herbavore, I admire you so much. We share the same loss in many ways. Because we have surviving children, we have to keep pushing forward for them. Still, we will always have a hole in our souls, you know? Doesn't matter the circumstances surrounding their deaths, they were still our children. I've read your son's story on Shrine, he seemed like an amazing young man, surely you had a major role in that.

Peace and love,
Lili