Contributing to the Bluelight Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Moderator

Bluelight Bot
Staff member
Hello, and thank you for your interest in helping out with the Bluelight Wiki. Our ultimate goal is for the Wiki to be an up-to-date, accurate, and easily searchable resource for harm reduction information.

Here is a link to the template that is used for drug FAQs. If you are able to provide some new (or better) information about a certain drug, please use this template. You may wish to use a text editor to save your work periodically if you'd like to spend a bit of time on it before posting it.

You can contribute to any subject in the Wiki, but you should probably focus on the drug(s) you have the most personal knowledge of. And you don't have to provide information for the whole article, you can contribute to only one section if necessary. Nobody is expected to be an expert on everything.

We are probably going to revise the list of drugs that we would like to add to the Wiki, but here are the current pages. We would like to address the drugs that are asked about most frequently before starting FAQs on drugs that aren't mentioned much.

Many of the projects are ongoing, and there are also many pages that have yet to be started. If you wish to contribute, please either participate in the existing forum thread for that topic, or create a new one. Please don't post drug-specific questions in this thread.

We ask that you DO NOT edit the wiki page on your own. All edits and new pages must be approved by moderators before being added. Once the moderators approve the information, they will add it to the BL Wiki, and they will give credit to the username of the person that submitted the information.

Citations are required for any information that is obtained from an outside source. Simply include a link to the source, and the moderators will insert the citation so as to avoid any plagiarism or copyright issues.

If you have any questions or comments about contributing to the BL Wiki, feel free to ask them here.

Thanks

-- The Bluelight Wiki Staff

Last edited by a moderator:
Template for Drug Pages

The Basics

Introduction and Basic Description

e.g. MDMA is an empathogen with some stimulant properties. Desired effects include euphoria, loveyness, energy.

Timeline of Experience
e.g. onset 0-30 minutes, peak T+0.30, plateau T+1, Afterglow T+4, end of experience T+6.

Effects
Expand on the introduction.

Dosages

Give doses for novice, typical, and experienced user. Note any problems with higher doses (e.g. 6-APB: 100mg may seem like not quite enough, but many people have reported highly unpleasant experiences on taking 200mg, whereas the difference between the same doses of MDMA are less of a problem)

Method of administration
Describe method. This should generally be a link to an individual page describing that method (e.g. IV, orally). Add in this section anything that is relevant to that method FOR THIS DRUG.
Method 1
Method 2
Slang

Problems

Contraindications and Overdose
Expand further here on dosage issues, also flag dangerous combos (DXM, MDMA) and combos which make the drug less effective (MDMA + prozac)

Negative Short-Term Side Effects
Mention side-effects experienced during the high/trip/experience e.g sleeplessness on stimulants, teeth grinding etc. Mention any means of preventing these.

Negative Long-Term Side Effects
Mention any possible risks such as memory loss or depression caused by MDMA. Provide citations. Remember our goal is harm reduction, so err on the side of being too cautious, but do be clear about how much evidence we have for a given claim.

Addiction and Withdrawal Issues

Harm Reduction
Explain how to avoid problems, as much as possible.

Legal Issues
Explain briefly the legal status of the substance, in as many jurisdictions as possible, but focus obviously on BL's userbase: the USA, Australia, the UK and Canada. Probably link to other pages which explain the drug classification system in that country - e.g. create a page which explains what the US schedules mean, and link to that.

Background and Chemistry

History of Drug
Brief history e.g. MDMA patented by Merck then basically forgotten, Shulgin synths it out of interest in its similarity with MDA. The Texas crew, then Ibiza, the Euros getting into it in a big way, link to rave culture, etc. Talk about current situation.

Chemistry
A chance for the ADD crew to go crazy. Use pictures!

Preparation
You wouldn't necessarily include this - possibly for drugs like crack where you have to put some effort into making them. You can include e.g. preparing ketamine powder from liquid, making crack from coke, etc. DO NOT include anything relating to synthesis! We're talking about taking a pre-existing drug and altering its form to make it easier/better to use, NOT making a drug from other chemicals.

Mechanism of Action
More ADD stuff, talk about neurotransmitters and GABA and SERT receptors and stuff.

Trip reports and links

Trip Reports
Probably a paragraph giving links to cool TRs here and on other sites. Don't re-write or copy/paste the whole trip report.

Links
Erowid and Wikipedia for a start. Anything else that might be relevant.

I think a section for commonly encountered slang terms might be useful. The template has it under ROAs- I think it would be better to have it in a different section. I'm going to include an explanation of the different forms of the drug (MDMA crystal vs. pills, for example) in basics; do you think it warrants its own section (thinking about it, for cannabis at least, it probably does warrant its own section)? As it is, psychedelics and dissociatives are lumped into one page. I'd like a separate page for each, and also separate pages for the most commonly encountered drugs in the class (and the same for uppers, downers and opies). We can categorise them in the same way that wikipedia currently does.

I'd also like a page explaining what different ROAs are (or even separate pages for each one).

Last edited:
So I have been in contact with Tommyboy about helping out with Wiki-I have the time and I am good with projects-especially ones that MUST be correct information and citation. I clicked on the "Editing BLWiki: Copyrights" page. The link appears in red whenever you click on any edit option. There is NO info what so ever. Tommy's initial post addresses Copyright and citation and there is mention of the same-just different/additional terminology I have come across while just browsing through the many areas in need of editing. I offered my editing skills in another thread addressing this...if you like,I can copy and paste Tommy's initial post here and the additional information regarding copyrights that I have seen so far. I read above that you want to see the info 1st in a PM and not posted here for approval. If this seems a priority I would be happy to get started-including research on current copyright laws and those that are specific to Wiki-with citations.

just a thought...working with Tommy also so be on the lookout for PMs from me w/ content awaiting approval to edit various posts. :D

Much peace and love........................skillz <3

With regard to the first post, I think it's better to start a thread rather than PMing a mod. The idea of a wiki is that many heads spoil the broth are better than one, so in that spirit, I'd like everyone who wants to contribute to be able to see what's being said.

What about copying info you've found online and then downloaded it own to our Wiki? There must be some legal technicalities that need to be figured out.

Copywright! Copywright! Copywright!! Otherwise, this site will go down in flames.

DR. Brady,

Is there something to which you are specifically referring? Before adding content to any Wiki page, I personally require citations from the users submitting the data. Is there something on the Wiki you have found that is copyrighted but not cited? If so, please PM me immediately with a link to the page and an indication of the text in question.

Thank you,

Vaya

Where are the skeletal structures for the drug articles coming from? I'd be happy to draw them myself, no copyright issues then.

Yeah at the bottom of the main BL wiki page it says Template:DrugPages. I used it to construct the Methamphetamine article - but you don't necessarily need to include every category in the template. Just as with any discussion, I've found that each substance is (in general) unique and thus the parameters for its page will invariably differ.

Use your discretion... You'll be fine that way!!

Last edited:
May I have permission too edit by own? It is a wiki after all. I'm umemployed lately and I want to spend alot of time adding to the wiki. It won't efficient this way. Plus it won't come up on our contribs. Yes we're not doing it for that reason but it's nice to look back on your contribs. It gives ya a happy feeling ya helped out so much.

I'm wanting to write a wiki article. Since we can't edit it ourselves, do I make a thread or PM it to a moderator/administrator?

May I have permission too edit by own? It is a wiki after all. I'm umemployed lately and I want to spend alot of time adding to the wiki. It won't efficient this way. Plus it won't come up on our contribs. Yes we're not doing it for that reason but it's nice to look back on your contribs. It gives ya a happy feeling ya helped out so much.

right now, we aren't allowing anyone to edit the wiki. it is due to a massive influx of spam over the last several months. i realize that it isn't very efficient and defeats the purpose of the wiki. we are working on coming up with a solution.

in the meantime, if you have anything you'd like to add or change, feel free to start a thread about it here. then myself or another mod will make the changes in the wiki. again, i realize this is not ideal but it is the best we have at the moment.

I'm wanting to write a wiki article. Since we can't edit it ourselves, do I make a thread or PM it to a moderator/administrator?

you can make a thread. like i said to cranoo, the current situation with the wiki kinda sucks but it is just temporary until we can deal with the spam issue.

right now, we aren't allowing anyone to edit the wiki. it is due to a massive influx of spam over the last several months. i realize that it isn't very efficient and defeats the purpose of the wiki. we are working on coming up with a solution.

Have you thought about a post count based "rank". Similar to Bluelighter over 50 posts except not visible. When a person reaches a certain amount of posts, they are able to edit the wiki. If someone has a certain amount of posts yet somehow might be the kind of person who you wouldn't like to edit the wiki, then while they are building up to that post count a moderator could "flag" that account for misconduct, etc. on the forum, disabling their ability to edit the wiki.

Not sure if that would add any extra stress on the forum though.

animal_cookie did a great job addressing the issues.

As the moderator of the Wiki, I never want to see someone turn away from contributing because of our policies. But the policies are matters of practicality. I can attest to spending hours, and hours, and hours editing out spam and other inappropriate changes to otherwise solid pages. It became overwhelming, and the job became depressing.

As mentioned, it's not ideal. But 'contribs' aside, I will personally add your username as the contributor of information within the Wiki page itself.

Please don't give up on us!

~ Vaya

I have enough information to write an article about caffeine, but it's probably lower in priority than just about everything else, being legal, safe, and weak. Can I do it?

EDIT: First post answers that question. Sorry 'bout that. 8)

Last edited:
I have enough information to write an article about caffeine, but it's probably lower in priority than just about everything else, being legal, safe, and weak. Can I do it?

EDIT: First post answers that question. Sorry 'bout that. 8)

In order to have a database comparable to Erowid's, Caffeine is just as important to have included as etizolam, etaqualone… hell, even LSM-775 :)
Keep up your honestly great work, HCL!!!

~ Vaya

Status
Not open for further replies.