Site Feedback Moderators need to be REQUIRED to not have FULL INBOXES!!!!

Seattle_Stranger

Bluelighter
In short, there needs to be a rule requiring all admins and moderators to clear their inboxes so they can receive PM's from members, especially when they specifically instruct members to PM them!

In short, I took TWO FRICKING HOURS to type up a big thread, and within seconds a moderator closed it saying it technically violates rule :|, and he said to "PM me if you have any questions". Well, how am I supposed to PM you if you have a full inbox! So, I try to message another moderator, and whaddaya know, his is full too!! :!

- One very frustrated BL user.

P.S. - I understand there is a lot to read through on Bluelight and that moderators can't treat every thread like a special case, trust me I get that, but seriously...it took me two damn hours of my time to type that and you can't even give me the respect of reading ONE paragraph???? It would be physically impossible for the moderator to have given my thread a fair read, because it is VERY long and he closed it within LITERALLY SECONDS after I opened it. He must have quickly browsed through it, maybe saw a word or two that sparked a suspicion, and he closed it right away without giving it a second thought. Just ONE paragraph and you would have clearly seen that the intention of the thread is not asking what drugs I should take.... :|

Sorry, I'm just pretty frustrated that I just wasted all that time and effort for nothing...

What is the closed thread? Link?

If you have a problem contacting a moderator, simply PM another mod from the forum and it will be brought to the original mod's attention. No need to get all hot and bothered, it's just the internet.

If you have a problem contacting a moderator, simply PM another mod from the forum and it will be brought to the original mod's attention. No need to get all hot and bothered, it's just the internet.

I said..

So, I try to message another moderator, and whaddaya know, his is full too!!

I have every right to be frustrated. You'd be too if you took 2 hours to type up a thoughtful thread and it was closed immediately by someone who didn't even read it.

Thanks for the help.

.....and I just took some time to type up a well thought out PM to send to the moderator, and his god forsaken inbox is still effing full.......

This is way more frustrating than it needs to be...lol...

Here's the thread: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...herbal-ecstasy-Cumulative-reports-experiments

Here's the moderator: disposition http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/members/72888-disposition

Here's my appeal:

The purpose of this thread is not to ask what drugs I should do. I request that you go back and give the thread a more thorough read, you'll see that I have not violated any posted rules. Perhaps by me saying "Suggestions?" can give a false idea of the purpose of the thread, and I will gladly remove that part if you would be so kind as to re-open the thread. It took me two hours to type that all up and you closed it on me almost immediately. :(

Please re-read the thread to see that it is in compliance with the rules. If you'd like me to remove the 'suggestions' words, so there is no confusion, I'll gladly do it. I could not care less about people's suggestions as to what drugs to do, nor is the purpose of my experiment to mimic the effects of 'something else'. I stated rather clearly that I'm combining herbs together based on the effects they generate to create a fine-tuned experience for what I need. Using the phrase 'herbal ecstasy' was simply to give people something easy to relate to.

Please reconsider the thread closure.

Thanks.

its got room, are you sure you're typing my name right?

let me revise the thread and i'll get back to you via pm

edit - from the thread,

I didn't know if I should put this in trip reports, my intent is not so much for it to be a trip report, I'm looking to discuss the concoction and what you all think about it! I'm also interested to hear other folk's accounts on similar combos, as well as suggestions. I know I've had a couple discussions on this topic in the past on Bluelight, but there seems to be much interest in the subject, and this thread is an update with lots of info.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anyone have similar combos/experiences/goals?

those pretty much sum up my feelings on why i closed it. i did take the time to read it.

i'm not reopening it but you can ask one of the other mods to reopen it, i'll respect that.

I said..

I have every right to be frustrated. You'd be too if you took 2 hours to type up a thoughtful thread and it was closed immediately by someone who didn't even read it.

Thanks for the help.

Most forums have more than two mods :|

Many mods also have their email linked to their username. Disposition has his I believe, and all you have to do is click on their username and it gives you the option of emailing them.

<Disclaimer: These words aren't targeting the OP specifically, but are aimed at all posters, in all forums> It *is* incredibly frustrating. Just as frustrating when the connection times out or your browser crashes :\ These things happen without much control over it, however the closing of a thread does have opportunity for some control over it. The member can ensure he's not violating guidelines, and PM a mod of the forum in question prior to posting if they are unsure where their topic would sit in terms of guideline or BLUA interpretation. Think how frustrating it is for mods who have to keep closing threads that violate guidelines just because someone didn't read them, or didn't understand the meaning behind them.

It *is* incredibly frustrating to try and contact someone just to find their inbox is full.

There are a couple of alternative actions available when a member can't reach the desired mod:
1 - Email the desired mod (if they have it turned on)
2 - PM other mods in the forum
3 - PM sr. staff of the forum
4 - REPORT the post or thread, as that sends a message for ALL staff to see, and the affiliated mods and sr. staff can all be notified at once
5 - Use the 'Contact Us' page for emailing the admins, though this really should be a last resort as they typically won't respond to something that is already answered (BLUA, FAQ, Guidelines) or should be handled in another way (see steps 1-4)

That said, people who are selected to be mods are done so because we feel they can handle the expectations and responsibility. Part of that is to make yourself available to address problems, especially if you're indicating for members to contact you. This means checking in reasonably frequently (how much is reasonable is somewhat subjective), but also ensuring your inbox isn't full (spelling mistakes of names cannot be averted ;) ). My point here is that the members need to keep in mind the staff are ALL volunteers, and part of the reason we have multiple mods for a forum is that a mod may be away for a few days or up to a week, and the other mods provide coverage, so if you try to contact someone specifically there is a chance they may not see it for a few days. My point here is also that there is an expectation that the mods make themselves available (space with inbox, check in, respond, etc) and represent the site with a sense of public service. Yeah, mods aren't paid, but they are expected to give more (hence the title 'volunteer') than a cavalier attitude.

its got room, are you sure you're typing my name right?

let me revise the thread and i'll get back to you via pm

edit - from the thread,

those pretty much sum up my feelings on why i closed it. i did take the time to read it.

i'm not reopening it but you can ask one of the other mods to reopen it, i'll respect that.

Like I said three times now, I would GLADLY remove BOTH of those parts because I understand why they are misleading, but for some reason that's not good enough? I'm wildly confused as to what else I've done wrong.

No typing involved, I tried clicking your name, and sending PM, it says it's full. Haven't tried email. I also have not received any PM's from you.

I think some of you may be taking this the wrong way. I'm not trying to attack the mod, the admins, BL or anything, I just want to figure this out. What else is wrong with my thread? What can I do to please you about it? I said I would delete the suggestion parts as they are not what the post is about. For some reason I don't know why but you just aren't understanding that. I WILL DELETE THOSE PARTS. What else is wrong with the thread? I'm really, REALLY trying to work with you here...

TheLoveBandit: Thanks for the input. All of this information you stated has known and understood. I understand the mods are volunteers and all, I get that. I'm really not asking for a whole lot here...at least I don't think I am.

I really hope you guys aren't taking me wrong...I know text can be hard to interpret. I'm also sure you get to deal with countless screaming 14 year olds trying to sound mature, telling you their rights and all. This is not that.

Threads going over experiences/trip reports, tend to belong better in Trip Reports.

Why not message the Trip Report moderators, and ask if it would fit well over there?

I think it is a matter of this post not having any HR value. What is the HR value of experimenting with a drug concoction until you find a blend that gives you the effects of herbal ecstasy? Editing out certain parts doesn't really do anything to make the thread have HR value. If you want to write about how certain drugs effect you, then you can reformat the content of the post to fit in with the Trip Report format and guidelines. That is the only place that I can see this type of post fitting.

looks like a Trip Reports thread to me too.

and I agree with the OP that mods should take extra care not to have full inboxes. it happens to the best of us sometimes, but it would be wise to have a buffer of free space at all times.

I think there might be a technical issue, a BLer sent me a text the other day telling me to empty my inbox and it wasn't anywhere near full. I'll bring up the possibility with the engineer. As for the thread, it doesn't really look like BDD material tbh (it's talking about psychedelics and cannabis for a start), perhaps you could post it to your blog? You could also try PMing the Trip Reports or Healthy Living mods to see if it would fit there.

I read the whole thing and it definitely feels more like a trip report. It is a really nice post indeed - very well-thought out and easy on the eyes - but I can see why disposition closed it. The way it was worded did make it seem pretty iffy for BDD's purpose and guidelines. Plus, it is the wrong forum lol I actually had to double check it wasn't already in TR. It seems pretty well-suited for TR imo. If a BDD mod wants to move it there, I don't mind editing out anything that seems suspicious... well, unless the OP wants to do that part himself, of course.

I will move it over now. As for the more general issue- it might be a technical problem, but if you are on staff, please try to leave some space in your PM box, and if you can't get through to staff, please be patient, some of us get a lot of PMs and it fills up faster than you realise. Thanks!

Cool. I'll PM the OP to let him know, not sure if he's still around or not.

As for the full inbox issue, no worries... I have a sad obsession with de-cluttering things on my computer. My bookmarked websites, documents, etc. suffer the same fate at least once a week hah. If only I could say the same for my room...

Thanks for the input, mods. I understand what you're saying, how it doesn't really offer HR value...I get your point....however....the entire purpose of my 'herbal ecstasy' idea is completely in the spirit of harm reduction. I'm trying to come up with said combination so I don't have to use harmful, risky, adulterated street powders and pills, hence why I was asking for ideas and suggestions for safe, natural things. Again, I do understand why you feel it doesn't have HR value, but I also wanted to be clear on what I'm after. :)

I'm certainly not looking for some 'new way to get high'.

I actually was originally going to post in TR's, however I chose not to because it's about multiple experiences with various substances in different doses, different combinations, etc., and I thought that TR's actually had a rule against multiple experiences in one thread. Also, I intended to have a discussion on the whole idea with others, and threads in trip reports tend to just drift away into the forgotten realm, often with just a few replies of "Cool report, man. Glad you had fun." if any replies at all. :( Not a bash on trip reports, just sayin' I notice a trend when I try to have discussions in TR threads.

I appreciate you guys moving it over for me, it's better in TR's than sitting there in BDD closed. I will edit out the suggestion parts like I promised I would. Hopefully I can obtain the discussion I was looking to get in.

Thanks again, I appreciate the fact that I wasn't chewed out. :)

I know what you mean about TR threads tending to die out. There are quite a few threads in TR that have sparked some good discussions, however, so you never know. But if that doesn't work out, and your main goal is to get a discussion going about the harm reduction aspects of natural vs. synthetic, you could always pull up a search; I'm sure there's a thread like that around here somewhere. And if you still don't find what you're looking for, I would suggest starting a thread that doesn't have a Trip Report-esque feel to it. Healthy Living would probably be the best place for that. Either way, glad everything worked out for ya. Hopefully you'll get the discussion you're looking for!