• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sore Throat remedies?

hydrochron

Bluelighter
I was wondering if anyone knows anything that will help my sore throat. I've had it for about 3 days now. It's really bothering me. I've made some soup and put cayene pepper in it. I've been popping cough drops like a mofo.

Theres this urge to swallow and every time I do it's painful as fuck. I'm pretty sure it's not strep throat, but that would suck if it was. I'm pretty sure I caught this from a sick co worker, but I dont know for sure. It's so painful I'm not even smoking.

Last night I ate some beans and that somehow coated it and made it feel better. Anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate it. I would go to the Dr. but that's not really an option right now and i'm pretty sure they would just give me antibiotics and like I said I dont think it's strep.

If someone could give me some helpful advice I would really appreciate it.

Gargle salt water? Make it really salty... Also, throat numbing sprays work pretty well for me. I get sore throats every so often and they really suck, but these tricks seem to help quite a bit.

I just did gargle with some salt water. It helped slightly. This is one bad ass sore throat.

When I gargled it didn't sound normal either. It feels like the airway in my throat is smaller than normal.

I also just made some tea with a lot of honey. How long do these sore throats usually last? I have about 4 left over anti biotics but I don't think it would be a good idea to take them.

Is it normal to have pain when swallowing with a sore throat? The last time I had one was about 6 months ago and it seemed different than this.

^ Yeah, it's pretty common. Your throat could certainly be a bit narrower as well due to inflammation. If post-nasal drip is the cause for the sore throat, knocking out the excess drainage would go a long way to helping alleviate the soreness.

Organic apple cider vinegar. Dilute one shot in water. Chug. Rinse mouth out with water. Repeat 2-3 times a day. You'll be surprised how great this works. Anytime I'm sick I drink apple cider vinegar and am good to go in a day or two.

Apple cider, now that's a new one. I'll have to try that next time. Herbavore, i've been gargling salt water and ate soup with cayenne pepper.

This was the worst sore throats i've ever had. It's starting to feel a little better today. It got so bad I couldn't even blaze. Which maybe is a good thing think I needed a break anyways.

Out of everything, eating bean and cheese burritos seemed to soothe my throat the most. Also mixing a shit load of honey in with my green tea.

Interestingly: top shelf tequila.

Seriously. It's got to be top shelf, as you need to drink it slowly enough to get a good coating on your throat. Slowly, but continuously, drink a 1.5 oz shot of top shelf tequila shortly before bed. Don't chase it, don't drink anything else, just go to bed. The high alcohol content will help to reduce any infection in the area, and the tonicity difference will reduce any swelling and inflammatory response. I was pretty skeptical of this when I first heard of it, but tried it once (with top shelf vodka, as I couldn't find any proper tequila) and found that it worked decently enough. The salt water gargling works pretty well too, but if you do the tequila thing afterwards I'd bet that you'd get better success.

If nothing else, it's an excuse to have top shelf tequila on hand!

you gotta take like a gram of cayenne pepper for it to make a difference.

Just do a fat line of cocaine. It'll numb that shit right up, beats any sore throat spray, I know people who swear by this method

Whisky!

Make a Hot Toddy, pal! It works amazingly. You want a good quality single malt (Glenfiddich or Glenmorangie I would personally recommend - none of this Jack Daniels bollocks - a proper Oak cask-aged Scottish Whisky).
Get some Lemon, Honey, Whisky (and redbush to put an African healthy twist on it) and add boiling water to make a hot drink. Traditionally, many claim Cinnamon is essential (I don't nor do I agree with it - I think Cinnamon is the work of the devil, taste-wise).This will take care of your sore throat immediately. Seriously.

I am the king of sore throats, in that I get them without fail every winter for a good while! Thus, I've tried every method in the book. Gargling tea tree oil, salt and Apple Cider Vinegar (or any vinegar) with warm water works well for numbing it immediately. The tea tree is anti-bacterial thus very beneficial in this situation.

Ginger, Cinnamon and Cloves are 3 herbs that help massively. Make a hot drink with these 3 herbs. Add honey, lemon and for extra health-giving properties, throw some muthafuckin' Ginseng, Theobroma Cacao and Yerba Maté. Cannabis (not smoked) helps a lot too. Kratom is actually a wonder-cure for sore throats and flu symptoms but obviously not practical unless you have it on hand right now.
I personally just CONSTANTLY have a hot honey drink on hand - with all sorts of herbs and it clears it up usually. Drink tonnes of it!

Thread of relative interest
Immediate Flu Relief Tips

Cloves are especially useful, and if you can get clove oil - try that. But don't use too much....apparently a female died from using too much (she must have ingested this but I heard it on the grapevine). It numbs the throat excellently - Novocaine may help as well. Garlic is a fantastic anti-bacterial herb and many claim that having garlic sit at the back of the throat helps - I havent tried this personally.
My method is simply having more Kratom (20 millionth dose of the day), a bong (yeah, yeah I know but the feeling of being high over-rides any discomfort from teh sore throat, and I dont have huge ones), millions of cups of herbal tea with honey and a couple hot toddy's with a face-steam and some Covonia (DXM and Guafanesin are very effective sore-throat remedies - GET SOME)

Given the nature of sore throats, the anti-bacterial properties of certain herbs can be beneficial to you. Steam your face (boil kettle, fill sink with boiled water, towel over head) with a few drops of Eucalyptus Oil for 10 minutes.

I<3Molly92 - As effective as it may be, this is the healthy living sub-forum so let's keep the discussion geared towards healthy advice :)

Last edited:
Just do a fat line of cocaine. It'll numb that shit right up, beats any sore throat spray, I know people who swear by this method

yep til the cocaine wears off and you have more sinus issues and more pain lol

But then you just do more cocaine. Never stop! Clearly :|

I should set up one of those steam machines when I go to bed. Those have always worked in the past.

Also this is the first time I haven't taken cough syrup when i've had a sore throat. I might have to just get some dxm, I thought it only worked for coughs though. I did smoke a little bit and it did help relax me. But my main problem is my throat feels really torn up. You cant even tell when I talk I sound normal which is odd.

But when I drink fluids like water, or orange juice. It burns my throat instead of soothing it. So as a result I haven't been eating or drinking as much fluids as I usually would. I'm going to set up the steamer and get some cough syrup than go from there. I swear this is the most irritating sore throat i've had. As soon as it goes away i'm going to be so happy.

But then you just do more cocaine. Never stop! Clearly :|

this.

also, there is some spray with some phenol based antiseptic and some *caine local anesthetic.Its fairly inexpensive, OTC and works pretty well.

Yeah , water and OJ will burn your throat. Of course they will.....but a hot honey (plenty) drink should help. There's no way I could think of drinking water or OJ with a shitty throat.

Get a syrup geared toward relieving sore throats - Covonia with squill, licorice extract and guafanesin should help.

Cut out all dairy products as they tend to exabberate sore throats/colds do to excess mucous production.
Soups with chicken stock good.

Slippery Elm, Loquat, Honey... type in these ingredients in Google and it might give you a good recipe.

Stuff that gets the mucus out of your throat, basically, and also keeps it moist. Neti Pots, though I've never tried one, interest me as they are meant to drain mucuous from the nasal passages, which is basically what causes a sore throat. Anyone have any success with them for a sore throat?

^Yeah, they're not bad. Anything that cuts out post-nasal drip tends to work pretty well IME.

Be sure to clean your neti-pots for amoebas though!

sick yo!!! lol

so I didn't feel like making a new thread for this but for the past few days I've had a sore TONGUE.... like the sides of my tongue are really rough, tender, swollen, painful, etc. I refer to this often as "crack-tongue". Y'all know waht I mean..... I am properly hydrated, haven't done any stimulants (well besides caffeine) in the past few days and its driving me nuts! Its so painful right now and I don't have any relief. What's a good easy way to get rid of sore tongue my peeps?