• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome Support Thread

I admit I have not read this thread, but I saw something about neem oil potentially causing this because actually while neem is considered safe, ingestion like through smoking weed can cause adverse effects many of which seem to correspond with a syndrome like this.

So my question is: are there people who exclusively smoke home-grown organic weed with this hyperemesis syndrome? Because if there are that would invalidate this argument.

I admit I have not read this thread, but I saw something about neem oil potentially causing this because actually while neem is considered safe, ingestion like through smoking weed can cause adverse effects many of which seem to correspond with a syndrome like this.

So my question is: are there people who exclusively smoke home-grown organic weed with this hyperemesis syndrome? Because if there are that would invalidate this argument.

No it wouldn't; esp if there were multiple mitigating factors that could cause hyperemesis. I was hospitalised twice in September (and no one could quite figure out if it was the kidney failure, the Cannabis (or something other than Neem contamination) or the new anti depressants I was taking.

I have purchased certified organic Cannabis (and kept all the prescribing containers in case there was ever any class action lawsuit) that was found to have contained very low levels of Neem from pesiticides that young clones had been exposed too.

In my case the vomiting resolved, but its always there on the back of my mind.

Tom

Is there any information on the relationship between the level of THC in your system and the point you begin a CHS episode?

So last week I was in and out of the ER for uncontrollable vomiting and nausea. They diagnosed me with Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome (CHS) and my symptoms did get worse the one time I dared to smoke again. My issue though is that everything I've been reading says it only appears in heavy smokers after several years, with 3 years being the earliest they've seen it show up in studies. I've only been heavily smoking for about 6 months, and I was dabbing all day, every day. As soon as I came down, I was taking another dab. Get bored? Take a dab. It doesn't make sense to me how the level of THC in my body reached that toxic of a level within 6 months. My boyfriend dabs as well, and he's been smoking for 5+ years, and I'm super worried that he will get it as well. Does anyone else know enough to tell me if its normal for me to have it so early on, or any advice for me with my boyfriend? I'm very scared for him as it was a particularly terrifying experience for me. Also, obviously like 4-5 months down the road, would I be able to start smoking weed (only weed, no dabs for me anymore) again here and there, or should I stay away from it entirely? I really don't want to go back to the ER.

hey guys, I was led to this thread after an emergency room visit on monday. I figured I would add some more anecdotal data to this thread. This is the second time that this same set of symptoms happened to me and this time the doctor mentioned it could be CHS. She noticed because of the really strong odor of terpenes in my sweat.

Here's what happened:
I was trimming some bud at someones ranch last sunday. The people who were growing on the ranch make this concentrate called "The Clear" which is super hot in at least southern CA right now. Some kind of distillate, supposedly the purest thing you can inhale. Almost pure thc, most of everything including terpenes are stripped out - I have NO idea how it's made. In retrospect, this was probably like taking a shot of moonshine instead of a glass of wine or whiskey. I took a glob-sized dab of it and immediately felt nauseous and light headed like the old days when I first began smoking (about 8 years ago). I have a really high tolerance and was surprised at how strong it was (shouldn't have been, it is a distillate after all) The nausea eventually subsided and I continued trimming. I was a bit too medicated for my liking all the way until I fell asleep later that night. (Edit: just realized I had a 7mg edible when I got home like a complete idiot)

The next morning I woke up and felt like I had really bad gas, like a lactose reaction. Just as described many times in this thread, I went to the bathroom and sat, trying to clear it all out of my stomach and nothing really was happening until my body heat started to rise, my forearms started tingling, and I started dry heaving like I was about to throw up. Had to sprint to go get a trash bag so I could be ready for anything. It got worse and worse, the retching got louder and louder. At this point I'm sweating so much that there's a puddle on the floor where I'm crouched over, trying to throw up but only getting stomach acid.

I had no idea the shower thing was a common symptom but the only thing I could think to do was to climb in the shower and sit down and let the hot water run over me. This helped temporarily and then it just went to hell from there. I couldn't lay in bed because I would instantly soak the sheets with sweat so I had to just stay in the shower. Tried to take some activated charcoal, all it did was make my throwup black. Stabbing pain, nausea, every time i transitioned form inhalation to exhalation, I felt like I was going to puke my guts out.

I went to the ER and the first thing the doctor says when she walks in is "It smells like a pot farm in here". I told her I smoke daily and she mentioned I should look up CHS. Had to be hooked up to an IV, they gave me like 4 or 5 liters of liquid along with a bunch of different nausea medications, none of which worked. Just the pain meds kind of worked for the burning but it came back shortly thereafter.

They finally ended up giving me a "GI cocktail" of maalox, lidocaine, and benadryl which helped immensely. Didn't know you could drink lidocaine. The day after (4th of july) I hadn't yet researched it and I ate an edible for the nausea like an idiot. To be honest it didn't make me relapse and it did help (it was a pretty big dose of RSO syrup). Then i took a dab and I instantly got a migraine and felt nauseous. I didn't make the connection but I figured my body had enough stuff in it for the last couple days and I put the wax down.

The time before this, I thought I got food poisoning. This was months ago. I chalked it up as a stomach bug because a lot of people were getting the stomach flu that week. Same symptoms and I daresay even more painful. They thought it was an infection and put me on antibiotics.
The thing is, two of my friends got the same thing I did (albeit not as bad, no ER visit). One of my friends and I were smoking a LOT of rosin at the time and I think it was when we really first got into dabbing. Another friend of mine got dab sick around the same time and he thought it was improperly purged BHO.

What I'm getting at is that both these episodes happened after dabbing way more than usual or way more than needed, supplementing with needless edibles, etc. I don't know if its because of contaminants or because a toxic level of terpenes are in your body. I know they've done plenty of studies on THC toxicity but I haven't seen any done on bodily reactions to terpene levels, which are way more abundant per weight in a concentrate form than they are in flower (right?).

My friend who got dab sick went back to smoking flower only and he hasn't had a problem.

Also I clearly remember last week eating pizza and waking up with a miniature version of what happened to me monday, i thought it was the cheese and that my stomach was getting less tolerant with dairy but I can eat ice cream or eat a cheeseburger with no issues. Maybe it was my body warning me in the prodrome phase? Come to think of it I get little "lactose" attacks all the time but I'm beginning to think its CHS.

I've been nauseous since monday but nowhere near as bad and my appetite is good.

My plan is to take a tolerance break, dry myself up, take some coQ10 and b12 and see how I feel. Cannabis really does help me with a lot of things but if I go back to flower and this happens again I think I'm going to quit. Not worth it. Still hopeful.

Did you end up quitting all together or are you able to smoke weed in moderation? I just spent all last week in the ER (4 visits, 2 nights admitted) because of CHS and I'm wondering if in a few months I can go back to smoking weed every now and then. I dabbed all the time, all day, every day, getting new grams every other day or so because I smoked so much and you're the first person I've come across on here who dabbed as well.

I have been suffering for years. It began with vomiting episodes that used to last one or two days. over the last five years, the episodes grew to last more than a week. Each year they got worse. Then my doctor diagnosed me with low potassium. I started taking potassium supplements a little over a year ago and haven't been sick since. Now I'm not sure if I am cured. I have maintained the same daily habits and haven't decreased my cannabis consumption but I haven't gotten sick.
I have read that low potassium causes vomiting. Also, vomiting causes low potassium through dehydration. Every time I went to the ER they ran blood work and I was always low in potassium but it was attributed to vomiting. It wasn't until I had regular blood tests taken when I wasn't sick that they found this is a chronic problem for me.
I don't think that everyone who suffers from CHS has low potassium but it does make me think that cannabis is not the only factor contributing to vomiting episodes.
After being a daily cannabis user for more than thirty years it was always hard to believe that it only affected me for the last 5 years. I always felt there had to be something else that was contributing.
I have been a puker my whole life. I could puke for many reasons but I always recovered immediately. I have had a dinner that didn't agree with me and have vomited and been able to return to the table and have dessert without suffering. It only started five years ago that I would vomit and couldn't stop for long periods. Since taking prescribed potassium supplements I have puked once about a month ago but I recovered within an hour and was able to eat a dinner.
I am not sure if I am cured but I am certainly glad it has been better. I would urge anyone suffering to find the other factors that contribute to your episodes.

One year and three months and still CHS episode FREE! I don't want to say that I'm cured but I can say I haven't been sick.

Hi all I just wanted to share my experiences. Very similar to many posters here. 34yr old male been smoking since I was 17, daily probably since I was 19/20. Recently started getting these attacks, first one was about 1.5 years ago. Went to the hospital because of intense stomach pain. As others described it feels like constipation but there?s nothing there. I also can?t sleep because of the constant pain and discomfort. Usually lasts about 24-48 hours, sometimes longer.

It?s mad shitty and I should quit weed but it?s hard to. If I keep having attacks I will for sure but they haven?t gotten INCREDIBLY severe yet although they are plenty severe still.

It?s possible the attacks are triggered by drinking or eating a lot - often it has happened after I go out for some beers, this last time was after having a pizza and a coke.

I found that capascain cream can give some relief. That and just abstaining weed until the feeling passed.