• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome Support Thread

CVSsufferer, thank you!

I was just in a piping hot bath with the shower head on high blasting me and I realized I have seen very little mention of lactose intolerance. Is there possibly some correlation between heavy cannabis users and their light or underlying lactose intolerance. I was told at a young age that I was slightly intolerant to lactose. I am a breakfast cereal fiend and have used lactose products my whole life. When I was a young teen I had bad sleep habits and would drink pepsi til 2am and go to school the next morning. I would often wake up and vomit an amount of stomach acid.

I started smoking pot regularly and the issue just disappeared. Today is 10 years later and I have been a daily smoker the whole time (few days off here and there) Today is also the seventh day in a row that I have felt ridiculously nauseous and have puked several times.

I saw some amazing doctors that I was very open and honest with. One said he has seen young men 22-25 coming in with the worst vomiting of their life and OFTEN (not always) he would find that they were heavy cannabis users. This doctor did not condone cannabis, he infact said it is an amazing medicine and guessed that it was the first place I went when I woke up this sick. He was right. He said to stop, wait til im better, continue eating the same foods for the days that I feel better and when I am ready to try smoking again (I am cutting WAY back anyway) I may also just move to the vape specifically... I wish there was info on that...

after a few more days of puking I saw another doctor, he was great, he talked to me for a half hour and told me that he doesnt truly believe that the cyclical vomiting is caused by cannabis use. I tried to get as much info from him as I could but he told me it is a phenomenon, when he was my age he apparently smoked a lot, daily also. He said in his time going through medical school and abusing cannabis himself he never heard of a link. Between 2005-2012 is when he has seen a POSSIBLE link. For some of the days I was in hospital I was on IV and sublingual Zofram and IV Diphenhydranate while being given plenty of fluids. Within the 24 hours before I was released I was switched to a potassium drip, 3 bags and I was out. I was given a 20 pill script for Pantoloc to help with my long term acid reflux which my most recent doctor had told me he HOPES is the issue.

In hospital last night I drank an "ensure" lactose free meal replacement. I kept it down, I got released feeling good, I was able to eat a few teaspoons of chicken soup and drink water regularly. When I drank the meal replacement, I had no idea it was lactose free... So at this point I was 168-170 hours into my sickness with NO solid food, NO bowel movements, NO lactose, NO tobacco and NO pot. I had an OK night.
I woke up the next morning and I was still OK. I decided (fuck) to drink a YOP brand drinkable yogurt. Within 10 minutes I could tell I was going to be sick. I was sick for a few hours, it was very clear to me that the yogurt was sitting on top of the water in my stomach, I vomited straight yogurt and water, I have not had a HINT of acid in my vomit today. I decided to give the hot shower in/out trick another try, I vomited repeatedly in a blistering hot shower (this surprised me and actually made me kind of happy since that seems to not happen at all with this supposed illness)

I got out and read the label of the yogurt, of course live culture and lactose. I read the label of the meal replacement that I basically passed untouched (I shat a milkshake, smelled the same) LACTOSE FREE.

I quit eating meat almost a year ago. At first I had intense cravings for cheese and would eat it every day with little problem (I would sometimes have to wake up and eat a TUMS, but that stopped it in its tracks) This has changed, I dont think I have eaten cheese in a few weeks and I have cut down on dairy a lot just naturally.

I was sitting in my most recent blistering hot bath sucking on ginger extract thinking "If I want to eat my cannabis, I cook it into dairy products (most cases that is how it is done, binds to fat, just like inside us which makes it such a long lasting drug in your system.) I was thinking that possibly there is some correlation between lactose intolerance and cannabis use. If so, fuck dairy (or fuck weed, depends who you are)

I have to ask:
Are there any reported cases of devout vegans suffering from this? Are their any vegans on here who suffer and smoke?

I really hope I am just dealing with my long term acid reflux issue or that I need to stop eating dairy. Both would be like a gold medal to me.

Everyone suffering, I know how you feel... Cry, it's alright, I have never felt as vulnerable and frustratingly stuck in a bad state as I have been over the last week.

If you are a nurse or a doctor, I thank you soooo much, I dealt with some wonderful people who helped me through every step. I have NEVER felt real appreciation for this field of work but I am now incredibly emotional about it (im crying right now) I watched these nurses quickly move room to room, changing diapers, holding hair back, rubbing feet and shoulders, bringing anything that is asked for and doing it all with a smile and a comforting demeanour. If you are a nurse or doctor, go to sleep with a smile on your face tonight, you are loved!!!!!

I posted my experience in this thread but it seems to have disappeared. I ordered some colostrum which shows promising results for this issue. I think the real problem is leaky gut due to eating foods you are allergic to over long periods of time.

I am just hoping that over the next week or two that I can completely abstain from both dairy and cannabis. I have been doing ok I guess and I am on day 9 of cold turkey cannabis and tobacco cessation. I guess when I get to the end of the weekend I will consider buying a small amount of organically grown outdoor pot (I am fucking done with the poison, heavy metal/fert/pesticide buds that I have had for the last few years... I am done with the kush fad) and try smoking like 100mg of the plant matter before bed and actually pray to some sort of deity that I wake up ok the next morning. If it works, I will take another day or two off and try again. I plan for this to be how I use marijuana from here on out anyway... Wake up call! stop spending $100 a week and boxing my life in smaller and smaller. If I manage to get through a few days of reasonable cannabis use, I might try a session during the day and then one at night and hope for the same effects. If THAT works, I am going to stop smoking for another week and start slowly introducing dairy products again.

I am taking this very seriously and I think many people who experience it do also. I am praying that I am just lactose intolerant or have severe acid reflux (which I do, but may not be the cause of my week stay in hospital) I plan to keep a journal of sorts that keeps info on my known allergies, what I consume during each day, and how my body is affected by intake of cannabis and foods. I plan to try finding a straight sativa strain and a straight indica strain to see if there is any noticeable difference between the two for me.

I really want to be one of the people helping to figure out what the fuck is going on here! Anyone who is passionate about this that feels like sending me private messages or anything, please do not hesitate, there are a lot of things I would put on hold to research this/talk about this.

I really hope that I am able to smoke cannabis again. It really is such a helpful plant to me. I do/did abuse it which I am absolutely ashamed of. Such a wonderful godsend and I was dumb enough to believe all the shit people would say about how benign it is :/ My health class teacher told us there is really nothing bad that can happen and that saddens me. Not his fault, but cannabis is a fantastic medicine for sick people. I don't think it is much of a medicine for healthy people ages 13-25. My latest doctor was very sympathetic, he realizes that I use pot responsibly for some things, but also like getting baked. I am A-O-K with not getting stoned anymore. I have sleep paralysis and am so scared that I will experience a bad fit tonight or soon. A sing toke from a pipe has always kept that at bay, also I am an insomniac so the idea of living without pot as a safety net is kind of freaking me out.

I was feeling good for the first time in over a week today so I decided to listen to some music and eat a few of the percocets the hospital staff gave me for my throat. Enjoyable while I was buzzed but I fell asleep (also, not a negative, quitting pot and cigarettes cold turkey is like a rail of meth!) I woke up with that undeniable Oxy-Rage! I used to always remember to take oxy after 7pm so now I am stuck here awake for the rest of the night wishing to god I could have a toke :( First world problems... but it is very frustrating to me right now.

Hiya, it sounds like your still going through it :(

I have responded to your PM but I will just post this on here incase anyone else is reading and wanting to know what they should do if they are in the same situation as you -

Honestly I would head over to the CVSA message board. I dont want to link but just search that in google and you will find it. There are loads of CVS sufferers on there, all with completely different triggers and alot of information about medication etc that people take. Some smoke cannabis, some dont. Some have abstained and said it didnt help....no-one has yet come forward with good details about abstaining and the symptoms that miraculously vanished. I would find it very strange if it was only cannabis causing your vomiting....it sounds like you have quite a few complications with your digestive system (similar to all CVS patients tbh) but I personally wouldnt settle on it being cannabis caused. Things like gastroparesis and crohns should be investigated aswell as your food tests ofcourse. Maybe the already have?

Good luck

A few things I noticed about myself during these fits (which I am not sure is caused by, GERD? CVS, CHS?) is that I had the chills, I was sweating BUCKETS, all of my pillows were heavy with sweat and I literally am having to throw out my mattress. I have not heard anyone else mention this (which makes me hope I have something else going on, or just had a nasty bug) but I would lay in bed and feel sweat roll across my forehead and chest every 10 seconds or so. I was emitting a pretty upsetting smell. Similar to how I would if I had a flu (which i havent had in YEARS) I have also not heard of any other CHS sufferers complaining of a bad body odour.
The vomit that was coming up was either straight stomach acid or whatever water I could get into me.

I would be very happy to hear from someone who has found a connection between cannabis use and their vomiting cycles, do you experience these issues? I want to try vaping again within the next few days, but the idea of ending up in the hospital for it is a little much for me. Thanks.

Hiya again,

I know of many CVS sufferers who sweat in exactly the same way as you when they are cycling, me included. I have to admit though, I never emit a bad smell or anything like you describe. I have also never heard anyone else mention such things but that isnt to say it doesnt happen! Like I said, the questions your asking are all on the CVS message board. You will find alot more people who can relate to you on there than on here I am sure.

From what I have learnt, for some people cannabis can trigger an episode, but only in the same way that chocolate can trigger someone elses vomiting episode. So imo cannabis isnt an overall cause but only YOU will know if it can stimulate your triggers. I have read of cannabis making people anxious so if that sounds like you, it stands to reason that smoking cannabis would increase your vomiting. The trigger is actually anxiety but your are heightening that by smoking...or drinking...or infact like I said, eating chocolate, drinking soda etc. I think with CVS it is an illness of finding your triggers (of which there are normally quite a few) and once found, try and limit the chance of them returning. Cannabis appears to help some but make some people worse.....in the same way as Amitriptyline. Some patients swear it stopped there vomiting, others stopped taking it because they couldnt handle the side effects.

Everyone is different and CVS is individual to that person. We all cycle similarly but the triggers seem to be dependant on person. The latest research is showing CVS is linked to Mitochondrial disease so that will be interesting to watch the progression there. We might rule out cannabis once and for all soon who knows!

Good luck in finding your answers but please head on over to where other sufferers are who might be able to help ;)

Hello,

Just found this thread and I will tell you that Cannabinoid Hyperemesis is very real, despite what some of these people who likely have never been long term pot users will tell you. Sure it may not be the cause in all cases, but in heavy long term users, this is very common. I see people on here asking about this who are 18 or 19, no your not likely going to experience this. If you keep smoking a ton of pot everyday, for 20 plus years, yeah you better believe you may face some repercussions for your long term abuse of your body. Whoever thinks you can smoke weed daily, for 20 plus years, and your not going to have any negative reactions, your naive. Yes in the short term, it can increase appetite and decrease nausea. But after 20 years or so, or huge amounts of pot, it will tend to have the complete opposite effect. This is not a doctor opinion, or scientist per say, this is simply the voice of experience.

It seems this cyclic vomiting is a sign of your body being unable to process the toxins properly anymore, poisoning. Except it seems to take much greater amounts and more prolonged use to get poisoned from cannabis.

I have been vomiting nearly daily, for the last 2 years. Lost 30lbs. Twice in the last two years, I had to go to emergency, the only thing that helped was an IV and anti nausea medication. I was lost as to why this kept happening. Doctor hates me for constantly telling him this is how I feel, because it makes no sense to him, a guy complaining of morning sickness WTH? A hot shower does temporarily relieve my symptoms. I take long showers and yes I considered asking to use the shower when I was in the hospital last, but that would have been a pretty odd request. Been on and off different anti depressants, those just gave me new issues, and did not resolve the nausea in any way. I believe depression was a mis diagnosis, when clearly chronic drug abuse is the issue. Giving more drugs to someone abusing drugs, is hardly a logical medical solution lol. I smoke alot and have for 20 years in total. The most I have ever smoked has been in these last three years. I am no longer depressed in any way, except for the difficulty I am having in my life due to the vomiting and illness. I have tried every other possible explanation, and all that is left is chronic long term abuse of cannabis. Which makes complete and rational sense, considering my long term abuse.

The discussion of these symptoms, matches my symptoms EXACTLY. No other explanation has even come close. Thanks to the information on this forum, I have now renewed my efforts to kick my long term vice. I think people here need to show some support for people going through this.

So let me actually provide some support, rather than just voicing my opinion about whether this is real or not.

To anyone who matches these symptoms:

-Long term +10 years of cannabis use
-extremely large amounts of cannabis used + 5 grams per day for an extended period greater than 1 month
-nausea, especially first thing in the morning, vomiting especially resin and phlegm
- stomach cramps, intestinal discomfort, complete lack of an appetite or desire to eat
-been hospitalized within the last year with cyclic vomiting, profuse sweating, IV helped, anti nausea medication helps
-hot showers provide temporary relief

If your match this, then you know what you need to do in order to feel well. Just quit smoking Cannabis. I'm not looking forward to doing this, but people do not seem to realize how much these symptoms suck. Imagine having morning sickness for 2 years and your a dude.

Thanks again for the slap in the face, now the hard part comes, but Im looking forward to not being sick again.

For the record: I live in Canada in the west. we have excellent cannabis and there is no short supply. My dealer has these symptoms, and two other people I know who smoke heavily as well.

It cannot be the strain, as it took years to develop in my case and there is no way you can possibly smoke the same strain for years. My dealer constantly changes suppliers, I have had bad weed, you can easily tell if your a seasoned expert.

For those who don't know the terminology a "cone" could be far greater than 3 grams of cannabis, and these guys were doing 100's of these per day. That equates to them smoking Kilos of cannabis in a very short period of time. People develop tolerance, and could smoke what would absolutely kill a non smoker. But I imagine your body is not too happy about such a situation. Its gotta give at some point.

Again, I know its easy to look for a solution everywhere but the most obvious one, staring you right in the face. But it doesn't take a PHD to realize long term abuse of anything, will eventually catch up with you, but when your in an addiction, you do tend to always look the other way.

You can't expect these symptoms to vanish in a short period of time. Cannabis stays in your body for a long long time. It is stored in the fats of your body. So as you burn off the fat, you are getting the chemical. It have read studies which suggest with sensitive enough tests, it may be possible to detect cannabis use up to a year after the use.

Like I said, cannabis may not be the culprit in every situation. But in my case it most obviously is.

Great information here in this thread, I had no clue such a sickness even existed. I guess the saying "Too much of anything isn't good" applies to Cannabis. Interesting 8)

I suspect we have met many many times before. Head on over to the CVSA message board and tell us your story. There are people on there who have donated both years of their life and alot of their own money to help get Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome into the mainstream society and stories like yours are making a mockery of it.........its disgusting and you should be ashamed. Nice username by the way!

If you have cyclic vomiting why not come on over to the medical forum for cyclic vomiting? Why have you just found this thread? Have you never looked before after all of the years of suffering???? CVS doctors HAVE investigated the link and it remains controversial. Here again is the medical paper which proves this - http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/933135-overview

You are making some bold statements of which most are not completely true. No-one has ever overdosed on cannabis and I would bet no-one, and I mean no-one as smoked 100 x 3g bowls in a day FFS! Just saying this proves you have limited experience with cannabis. You also say "these guys were doing hundreds a day".....but you have it to dont you? Why quote them and how much they smoke when clearly you allegedly have the same illness. Why not tell us more details about you? More symptoms than just the classic ones that are mentioned in abstracts on the internet. Yes, search cannabis hyperemesis and you get a few pages on google but nothing concrete. Even the Mayo clinic study in 2009 is not an actual study. If you bothered to head on over to the CVSA forum you would find an explanation of what the papers written by doctors actually are...............and THEY ARE NOT studies. Wiikipedia, anyone can update it........I am guessing you IP address would match! There is no proof and no patients who will come forward and open up on the CVSA forum about it.

I will end as I started on quoting your statement "If your match this, then you know what you need to do in order to feel well. Just quit smoking Cannabis. I'm not looking forward to doing this, but people do not seem to realize how much these symptoms suck. Imagine having morning sickness for 2 years and your a dude"

Many CVS patients have abstained from cannabis but to no avail so your sentence is complete rubbish and extremely harmful to the CVSA community. Many children suffer from cyclic vomiting and what, you think they are smoking too much cannabis? Please, by all means discuss your symptoms if you have them but dont copy and paste like the rest of them, it is doing many cvs patients harm. Hot showers and baths are also practised by many cvs patients, children alike, so it certainly isnt a sign of cannabis hyperemesis alone!

No one has ever heard of this muchbut yet cannabis has been around thousands of years...........................does that not speak volumes!!!! Come on people, please dont jump on the band wagon. Cyclic vomiting patients are suffering due to these poor stories around the internet, of which there really arent that many. Get your dealer and your dealers friend and you and come on the CVSA forum and tell your story with real details, not just the above copy and paste. You never know you might help the people that actually are suffering!!!

Thanks

E2A - I changed alot of things because I was being abit aggressive and that is not what I want. I am just frustrated and very disappointed that people will not come and discuss their problems where other people can relate. I would also like to know the doctors who are diagnosing this condition and forcing patients to abstain cannabis. The only reason they are told to is because of stories such as these on the internet and I find that a real shame, but what can I do, im fed up of fighting now

Last edited:

Like I said, cannabis may not be the culprit in every situation. But in my case it most obviously is.

Please dont pantonise us CVS patients where cannabis is not the culprit by stating all of that and then covering your bum by saying that!. You havent given us any details of who you are, how long you smoked, what your symptoms exactly are, how they have vanished, etc etc etc It is easy repeating the above symptoms which are clearly available from the abstracts online but what about the other little details.....as I said, there is a long thread on the CVSA message board about this very thing. I cant think of a better place to discuss your symptoms..............

E2A - I wont get into a discussion about your symptoms on here because I think they would be much better on the actual medical forum for Cyclic Vomiting. No offence Blue Light but I am sure you can understand why. Please stop the propoganda, its harming CVSA and all of the hard work doctors and volunteers have put in over the years. If you are ill with cyclic vomiting why have you never posted on the forums there and just who is diagnosing you because I know of most of the CVS doctors and they certainly do not diagnose cannabis hyperemesis. There are very clear emperic guidelines for CVS of which 55-77% respond to. I am fortunate enough to be one of these so it is clear my CVS is not cannabis caused. I was ill just at the same time as smoking cannabis about twice a week. I would hardly class that has a heavy, longterm 10+ user like you state, yet I also fit into the other bracket you said and I would test positive for THC. Cant you see the harm your doing? If you are ill, fair play but dont add onto another thread, start a new one with real details on a forum who actually understands the symptoms!!!!

Great information here in this thread, I had no clue such a sickness even existed. I guess the saying "Too much of anything isn't good" applies to Cannabis. Interesting 8)

What information? Read this - http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/933135-overview

That is great information relating to cyclic vomiting and cannabis. By actual doctors who have studied it. Clearly the OP of this thread and ALongTermUser dont have Cyclic Vomiting Syndrome as it is not caused by cannabis but by stating they have cyclic vomiting, it is getting the illesses confused. I mean, do people actually know what cyclic vomiting actually is? Hence why I ask for more symptoms. It might be recurrent vomiting you have which is a totally different ball game. ALongTermUser says they have vomited every day for 2 years. I can tell you now, if you had cyclic vomiting for a full 2 years you would be dead. CVS episodes last anywhere from hours to weeks dependant upon how severe. I think they way ALongTermUser describes it is they vomit daily and think this is called cyclic vomiting.......i dont know, but with no real symptoms posting I wouldnt know.

I have copied and pasted ALongTermUser's post onto the CVSA Message Board anyway just to highlight another person who is adding to the damage done to our illness. Thanks! :(

Don't know that what I'm dealing with here is Hyperemesis Syndrome, but I figure I'd drop a post anyway considering this' the closest thing I can find to what I'm experiencing.

I don't know about 100 cones per day lol, but I've been smoking lots and lots of herb for about 20 years (all day every day for the last 10 or 15). Cigarettes about the same (20 years or so ~pack a day), but I kicked the tobacco a little over three years ago. Been dealing with severe abdominal pain for many many years now. Always thought it was due to smoking tobacco on an empty stomach. Only thing that would ever make the pain go away was food. Never been a very big eater. Always very skinny and malnourished. Kicked the smokes, and still, my symptoms just continued to snowball. My stomach gets this horrible tight aching feeling followed by loud growling noises that would temporarily relieve the pain (the growling isn't quite as loud as it used to be, but the pain is much worse). Eating a full meal was clearly the only thing that would make the pain go away, and smoking herb without a doubt made it worse.

I don't have the recurring vomiting that everyone else seems to be experiencing, and I don't notice any improvement with hot showers either. But I did stop smoking pot last year for about 5 months (first time I'd ever gone for more than a week or so since I started), and by the end of my hiatus, for the first time in many years, my stomach problem was almost completely unnoticeable. I began to get my apatite back. I wen't from about 145lbs to 180 at least. I was healthier than I'd been in years.

So, about 6 months ago, I decided I'd have a little hit. Got completely blasted of course, and like a stone-cold junky, I smoked a giant bowl to the dome first thing in the morning, and continued on this way up until four days ago. I am now back down to 145lbs, and my stomach is a fuqin mess. Eating doesn't even seem to give me any relief anymore, at least not for any length of time. I wake up with my stomach in knots, I have no apatite whatsoever. I choke down whatever food I can, but my main relief seems to now come from taking a shit. I don't ever remember having to sit on the toilet this long though, and the last bits that come out are often loose and acidic feeling. If I'm able to completely evacuate my bowls, I'll often feel ok for a short (sorry to be so descriptive here, just tryin to be thorough). Lately I've just had to lay stomach down and try and sleep it off. Seems to help some if I don't use any energy. Any exercise or whatever without enough food beforehand will set it off for sure.

So yeah, I'm missing the shit out of my herb, but four days in and things are already starting to chill out some. Still very bad, but not like it was four days ago. Don't give a shit what anyone says, it's the herb that's causing this. As someone posted earlier on on this thread, I think anykind of smoke in excess will do this. I think it's the tar that's doing it. And herb puts out ridiculous amounts of tar compared to tobacco. Don't believe me, go buy a pack of Tarblocks (little plastic deals that go on the end of a cigarette). Put one on a cigarette and see how much tar it catches. Now put one on the end of filtered joint, then compare the Tarblocks. Night and fuqin day. Definitely not saying tobacco is safer by any means. I think that the build up of tar in the lungs and whatnot throws off the gut bacteria, which leads to candida overgrowth, and who knows what the fuq else. I love smoking herb, but I'm done. Can't do this shit anymore.

If you dont give a shit what anyone says, Its the herb causing this, then I think you are doing the right thing in stopping.

Sorry to read of your of problems. It certainly doesnt sound like cyclic vomiting so I cant really compare your symptoms to mine but like you say, if stopping smoking cannabis is helping you then that is the way forward. Have you tried a vaporiser to test your tar theory? No offence mate but there just isnt any scientific fact behind this and I am not about to start disagreeing with you because I dont know if its true or not, however, a vaporiser would surely limit the amount of tar entering your lungs compared to a joint allowing you to test the tar theory?

It sounds very much like IBS. Tobacco can definitely make this worse but I have read that cannabis helps the condition, giving people an appetite and relieving some of the pain. Clearly not in your case.

Do you eat anything when you are stoned? Bad fatty foods etc I mean?

Im not about to give you advice far from it, I am not a doctor. However please have this checked out before just blaming it on the cannabis. It maybe that the cannabis is making your condition worse or even causing it to flare up, but the fact that you are well when you dont smoke cannabis may just be a mask for what is really wrong, like IBS, crohns or something.

As I said, I am not disagreeing with you. Just airing on the side of caution. Maybe just limiting how much you smoke might help you condition? If you struggle to eat, just have 1 bowl a day 30 minutes before food. I know it wont work now whilst your tolerance is high but if you only have 1 bowl a day I am sure your appetite will dramatically increase afterwards allowing you to eat a meal. Just try not to have "another bowl" Before you know it you will be ill again blaming the cannabis.

Thanks for sharing your story and hopefully you can find some peace with your body. If cannabis isnt for you then thats ok, you wont be the only one. It certainly isnt a reason for other people not to use it though. Alcohol doesnt agree with me but I dont think the world should stop drinking it. Each to their own imo

This is goddamn ridiculous in the article you'd think they were talking about opiate withdrawal. Long term constant smoking is somewhat addiction, and you stop, you'll get semi-withdrawals. Such as sweating agitation and nausea. Is this really news to people?

I've had worse nausea and vomiting from quitting caffeine. More demonization of "drugs"

Didn't mean to come off like a dick. I wouldn't be back on here reading through your responses if I didn't give a shit what anyone was saying, and I'm certainly not trying to "demonize" marijuana. I think if anything has the capability of pulling humanity out of this shit path we're on, it's marijuana and psychedelics, and I'm a huge advocate of both. I'm just sick of everyone claiming that there's no major side-effects to smoking ridiculous amounts of herb. I think these substances NEED to be taken seriously, and studied. Not this back and forth bullshit between these fuqin retards who think people should be thrown in prison for smoking a flower, and the other retards who think there's no major side-effects to smoking 100 cones a day (whatever the fuq a cone is. Thought this was a giant rasta joint, super fat at one end. Never heard anyone refer to a bowl as a cone but whatever).

I can't rule out somekind of underlying condition here that's just getting aggravated by the smoke. I thought it was ulcers for a long time, but my upper GI came back clean. Only thing they saw was a hiatal hernia which FWIU, wouldn't cause these kind of symptoms, and was probably due to coughing my brains out all the time (more demonization). But yeah, I have tried smoking out of the vaporizer some, but I never seem to quite get the buzz that I get off of the straight smoke. I do wonder though, if I were to only use the vape and/or edibles if I'd be having the same symptoms. Better for ME to just steer clear of it all together though for now. I've got a bad smoking jones. Probably wouldn't be the case if I didn't smoke the cigs for all those years. And for the herb, I just think I overdid it. I've got plenty of friends that've been smoking for as long as I have, some even longer and they all think I'm fuqin crazy when I bring this stuff up.

I'm definitely guilty of eating a poor diet in the past. Lots of sugar, and fast-food, so yeah who knows. Could be something like IBS or leaky gut syndrome. All I know is whatever I do, the ONLY thing that's ever helped is to completely stop smoking. I have been to doctors about this. All they ever wanna do is give me GERD medication. Fuq them, and fuq their meds. I'll be damned if I'm gonna go down that path. I've seen where it leads. Whatever it is that's going on in my digestive system, it clearly begins to heal itself when I stop smoking. I may try doing some edibles or vaping sometime down the line. I really do like getting high, but for now I simply need to steer clear of it all together. And JFTR, I'm not implying that anyone else should do anything. Everyone can do whatever the fuq they want. Just thought I'd share my story.

Didn't mean to come off like a dick. I wouldn't be back on here reading through your responses if I didn't give a shit what anyone was saying, and I'm certainly not trying to "demonize" marijuana. I think if anything has the capability of pulling humanity out of this shit path we're on, it's marijuana and psychedelics, and I'm a huge advocate of both. I'm just sick of everyone claiming that there's no major side-effects to smoking ridiculous amounts of herb. I think these substances NEED to be taken seriously, and studied. Not this back and forth bullshit between these fuqin retards who think people should be thrown in prison for smoking a flower, and the other retards who think there's no major side-effects to smoking 100 cones a day (whatever the fuq a cone is. Thought this was a giant rasta joint, super fat at one end. Never heard anyone refer to a bowl as a cone but whatever).
Yeah mate, I totally agree with you.

Cannabis has many negative effects aswell as positive ones and its like everything in life, some people respond really well when taking the drugs, be it paracetamol or cannabis, and other people............well thats what the side effects are listed in the packets for. Actually, only on the legal drugs mores the pity!

What I only get frustrated by is the constant use of the word cyclic vomiting syndrome in this proposed illness CHS. There are many studies that have taken place that actually proves the legitimacy of CVS and it is not caused by cannabis, whereas CHS is merely in the theory stage. To say cannabis causes cyclic vomiting is doing people within our support groups alot of harm when looking for treatment at the ER (I appreciate you didnt do this mate). I honestly think that people dont know what true cyclic vomiting syndrome is and thats why the word is used so easily to explain someones recurring vomiting etc. Maybe if I can make people aware of this on these types of forums the link between CVS and CHS can be broken!

I am sorry too if I come across as a *&*&*&, I really am not. I am just sick to the back teeth of defending my illness now and I am almost ready to bite before people post! I know cannabis hasnt caused my cyclic vomiting syndrome so maybe I should just be content with that and stop worrying about what people may think of me/us!

Good luck with getting to the bottom of your troubles though. However if cannabis aint for you dont be surprised...like I said above, everything isnt for everyone. Health must come first! Take it easy mate and thanks for not abusing etc :)

White male, early 30s, from mid-west US. User of cannabis since age of 13. Abuser since age of 16 or 17. Diabetic type 1. Four times admitted to ER, in last six months for "stomach flu" where most recent trip was diagnosed with CHS. I very much enjoy the predictable effects of pot and always will. That is why this is a little difficult to face. Perhaps more people coming out with their stories will foster research and understanding and even prevention of symptoms. Being diabetic type 1 I avoid alcohol and figured pot was a viable substitute for life.

Smoking habits: Purchasing 3.5g every two weeks. Gone in about 10-11 days. Math tells me I smoked .29g daily from a "chitter" or "one-hitter" filling this about two or three times per session. (Not a lot according to chronic abusers). I smoke first thing in morning and so on every 2-3 hours as buzz fades.

Symptoms consistent with CHS: Very light appetite the night before severe hyperemesis. The next day waking with slight nausea. One session of vomiting leads to continued EXTREME vomiting for approximately 15 -16 hours producing first any food or liquid, then yellow bile, then brown bile and blood. This is when I admit myself to ER. I become very dehydrated very quickly and cannot keep food or liquids down (very dangerous for a a diabetic type 1).

Other symptoms have included "morning sickness" (for three or four years now) where I originally thought I was correctly diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder and perscribed Alprazolam (Xanex) and other SSRIs for depression and anxiety. Previously, actually currently up until two days ago, I was also treating this with more pot.

Hyperemesis, for me, has consistently (at least three times) lasted about 15 hours after being treated with several anti-nausea meds at the ER and in ICU. I found that a strong suppository anti-nausea med was was finally allowed me to fall to sleep and to wake every two hours with nurses checking my blood sugar and other vital signs.

Hot showers: Who doesn't crave them? What nausea symptoms would they NOT relieve. Do I crave them? No. Do they relieve mild nausea, yes. Severe hyperemesis, in me, no.

Is this CHS? I cannot be positive, but I believe that even the amount of pot I use is a bit excessive. My current plan is to cut out the morning and noon smoking, at least, and to enjoy possible nightly use if not occasional "weekend" recreational use. Not knowing if smoking a large blunt, joint, or clearing a couple of tubes will land me in the hospital for two days is enough to make me start paying attention.

I want to know more about nausea treatments you are all considering. What is working, besides ginger tablets and expensive chemotherapy anti-nausea meds? I, selfishly, would like to continue smoking. It's my only vice. It's the only thing I do to really try to escape and relax simultaneously. If I can't do that, I am confident it will take some time to come over my pot addiction and to cope with watching everyone I know around me smoking. Please help.