• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cannabis Hyperemesis Syndrome Support Thread

Bump

A patient came in the other day with very similar symptomatic, and admitted to abusing synthetic cannabinoids for a few months. He also talked about temporary relief from hot bathes. Crazy stuff. Back when I used to smoke regular weed all the time I also often experienced the morning nausea, non-existent appetite, and hot shower relief. It would also get worse with stress. Never had anything close to as bad as what some people here are explaining, but I also was having some gastro-abdominal problems at the time too (bloating, loose stools) that have since gone away when I stopped smoking so heavily.

I would love reading more experiences with the hyperemesis, but I would also be interested in more accounts of IBS like symptoms (including but not limited to bloating, loose stools, bit smelly) which tend to abate with discontinued consumption of cannabinoids.

After seeing this dude, I wish everyone here who has to deal with this a quick and full recovery. Also, if you all treat your kidneys right (drink recommended amount of water, and don't hold your pee too long) even if you aren't having an acute problem they will be much better off when they are under strain.

Every episode I have had always starts with IBS like symptoms.

Just got back from being diagnosed with it. I'm 30 right now about to turn 31, I started smoking on the first of this year for fun and then in February my grandmother who raised me from birth and whom I'd been helping out for the last decade was diagnosed with lung cancer(after smoking for 70 years and having clean lungs no less than two years ago, go figure). I used a little bit harder, mostly wax though while she was in the hospital and switched to bud after she passed cuz it's easier to get. But it was only for stress and only a bowl or two or a dab or two, obviously increasing in day to day frequency as the situation got worse.

A couple weeks later I started waking up with light nausea, I didn't smoke to help it, it would just go away. Eventually it escalated and got bad enough that I went to a quick care clinic, they put me on zofran and the nausea from whatever I have is too strong for it. My wife suggest hot showers because it always helps her. It did and smoking would fix it too, eventually I needed both though and more of each.

Went to the ER and after a CT, upper GI, blood work and a sonagram the doctor suggested I had CHS. She says that the stress of my grandmother dying could have overloaded my digestive tract and since I've been habitual ever since it hasn't had time to clean itself. If this is a real thing, then I run bad at life to never smoke synthetics and to only be smoking for 3 months before symptoms.

My case is very typical. 42 year old. Smoked for 20 years. 1-2 grams daily. Diagnosed with CHS two years ago in September of 2013. This took the normal course of multiple emergency room visits, misdiagnosis and tests galore and even a couple of hospital admittances until a clever ER doctor enlightened me about CHS. Successfully quit smoking for 4 months. Hated life without my meds and got back into smoking in January of 2014. I literally felt like I was dead inside. Here is the kicker: I did fine until Nov of 2015. So much so that I started doubting the realness of CHS. Maybe all the naysayers online were right? Maybe somehow I can foretell when episodes would strike and cut back in time? But alas, no. The disease came back with a revenge. Previous episodes would last anywhere from 1-4 days. This time I'm on day 10 and still suffering. Apparently, I had spent so much time immersed in a hot bath that I had dehydrated my body to the extent that my kidneys were shutting down. Kidney creatine numbers at > 2.5 when 1 should be normal. It took about 8 litters of IVF + KCL (potassium chloride electrolytes) to get my kidney numbers back to normal. Dramatic weight loss of 20 lbs in a week. Forget about the nausea. That wasn't even the priority for the doctors this time around. Not that anything they have could help me. Zofran, Reglan, Compozine - none of them would do a thing. Did you know that you sweat through out your whole body when immersed in a hot bath? Seems obvious in hindsight. But I didn't know that my only source of relief was actually dehydrating me more. For some people, the showers seem to work. I'm too sick and tired to stand up. I need to be lying in a bath. But still there is no other relief so I'm still a prisoner to the bath tub. I'm going to try the Capsaicin cream today. I'll report how that goes.

P.S. I tried to ask for the 5 mg of Haldol with 5 mg of Benedryl that was suggested in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-02YgBbiDU. I get laughed at by the doctors.
Even giving them pubmed publications like http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23583118 and http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25393073 wouldn't make the doctors budge.
And God forbid, you have the really painful stomach pains and you need opiates. You get another funny look.

TLDR: Diagnosed with CHS. Quit for 4 month. Smoked successfully without problems for 2 years!!! AND IT CAME BACK WORSE than ever before. Damn near put me on dialysis.

Hi all. New to the site. I am a 29 year old pot loving female. Smoking daily since my early teens. I have been sick off and on since age 20. Newly diagnosed with CHS. At first I thought my docs were just trying to get me to quit, but after doing some research I can't argue. I 100% believe this is what has been wrong with me all these years. Marijuana is a huge part of my life and I can't believe I have to give it up. Wondering if anyone out there also diagnosed has found a stoner loophole? A way to continue my love affair with Mary Jane while avoiding the cyclic vomiting?

I was just diagnosed and I need to know has ANYONE found a way to continue to smoke safely. Like would one hit on weekends be okay. There's gonna be some way. How long does it take for another attack to come I would really appreciate a response, thanks

Hi all. New to the site. I am a 29 year old pot loving female. Smoking daily since my early teens. I have been sick off and on since age 20. Newly diagnosed with CHS. At first I thought my docs were just trying to get me to quit, but after doing some research I can't argue. I 100% believe this is what has been wrong with me all these years. Marijuana is a huge part of my life and I can't believe I have to give it up. Wondering if anyone out there also diagnosed has found a stoner loophole? A way to continue my love affair with Mary Jane while avoiding the cyclic vomiting?
You sound like an addict to me.

Nothing to be ashamed of really.

You sound like an addict to me.

Nothing to be ashamed of really.

You consider pot smokers addicts? Lol. Ok then. No point in arguing with someone like you. Why are you even in this thread? It's clearly for pot smokers suffering from CHS. Just trolling?

You consider pot smokers addicts? Lol. Ok then. No point in arguing with someone like you. Why are you even in this thread? It's clearly for pot smokers suffering from CHS. Just trolling?
If someone came to me and said they severely vomit every time they drink coffee, but they NEED coffee for recreational purposes, and then proceed to find ways to consume coffee even though it is the very thing making them sick, I'm going to call that coffee drinker an addict.

Get help.

http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/268-Recovery-Support

are you saying it's not possible to be an addict if you're a pot smoker?

are you saying it's not possible to be an addict if you're a pot smoker?

Of course it's possible to be a pot smoker and an addict. However I personally do not consider someone, who's only vice is pot, an addict. I have not smoked any pot since discovering I have CHS. An addict would have.

I'm sure glad my a̶d̶d̶i̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ love affair doesn't cause ME severe vomiting.

That's got to be hell for someone who loves it so much.

Does anyone know yet if this is caused by cannabis SMOKE, or some chemical in cannabis itself?