• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Caffeine and Clonazepam

delphinen

Bluelighter
Hi guys,
I have googled a lot, and just found some posts about recreational use of Caffeine and Clonazepam together; while most people say they would cancel each other, people who actually tried it, says that because one drug works on adenosine receptors, and the other on GABA, they wouldn't cancel each other directly. At the same time, some people say that for some reason, specifically a low dose of Clonazepam with Caffeine makes a mild speedball.

Could someone with an open mind help me here? obviously I have access to lots of hard coffee, and so do too to Roche Clonazepam.
Is this a good combo, or I should just wasting money? and, how much is too much Caffeine?

Thanks in advance.

no, caffeine will not cancel out the effects of klonopin like naltrexone does for an opiate.

what is your purpose for taking klonopin and caffeine? if you want anxiolytic effects, the only reason to leave out caffeine is because it is know to cause anxiety. otherwise, you will feel hyper from the caffeine without the jitters and shakiness. it seems like a waste to me to use a benzo just for caffeine as caffeine isn't that great of a drug anyways.

Stimulants and benzos can work well together depending how you react to them. I would often use caffeine/xanax together at work when my anxiety was through the roof. The xanax itself would make me too tired so I'd usually have a cup of coffee with it. It did increase anxiety levels vs. using the xanax alone, but I can also be quite sensitive to caffeine.

Maybe just a cup of coffee with your usual dose of clonazepam and then see how you feel. I don't predict there will be much of a dramatic or exciting effect by combining them.

Thank you for the replies guy.
I drank 4 large cups of Coffee within the last 3~4 hours, and did 1mg Clonazepam. I felt a little speedy and mi vision became a little blurried, like when you do too much Diphenhydramine.
Anyway, I just did 1mg more of Clonazepam to see how it goes. So far, not the best high ever... but's cool to work, study, play some video games, etc.

I never found caffeine mixed with anything; or even alone to be very good. I've mixed something like 450mg caffeine and 40mg Diazepam before, and it was... just... I don't really know how to put it, but it was very unenjoyable. I could feel the Valium strong, but was accompanied by shaking - which surprised me because valium is supposed to stop the shakes.

Just turned me into a jittery motherfucker was all. I might suggest a low dose opioid/benzo combo. Start small though, as this is a very dangerous combo. Matter of fact, i'm on 30mg Hydrocodone and just 5mg Diazepam and feel pretty nice. At least it has taken away some physical pain while giving me a steady high.

Stay safe!

-Brian

Last edited:
Caffeine is a very "light" drug for me, and I do enjoy it. Even in "higher" doses I feel well while using it. It certainly wouldn't "counter-act" the effects of clonazepam, but wouldn't make a mini speedball either. Mix, don't mix, enjoy the clonazepam either way.

if you mix stimulants with benzos your either simply going to not feel any effects from the benzos, depending how much of a stimulant you took, or you will have a stimulant high while the benzos decrease the jitters stimulants provide, if you take too much benzos then you will lose your stimulant high, it will dampen it to the degree you will want to redose with more stimulants. Wheni take adderall i take about 60mg, when i feel jittery and headaches ill take maybe 1-3mg of xanax/klonopin just to rid the side effects of stimulants. be careful cause i have a tolerance to benzos 10mg, so 3mg wont sedate me to the point the stimulants will dampen, so take a low dose of benzos where u wont be sedated, so you can kill off the side effects of stims

forget the caffeine and try a low dose of ritalin or preferably dextroamphetamine, take the clonazepam when you start to feel like you're coming down or if you're feeling too edgy. I don't think coffee is going to do much for you as far as the effects you are looking for.

this is a harm reduction site, so I should add that you should only take the ritalin or adderall if they are prescribed to you.

I take clonazepam and ritalin and coffee every morning but I have a tolerance, I can only feel the difference if I don't take the meds, I become irritable and sleepy if I miss a dose.

Some people have pretty strong reactions to caffeine. I get worse anxiety and jitters on the comedown from a cup of coffee (~100mg caffeine) than I do a 10mg Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine IR) tablet. I also have issues with anxiety, my psych even told me that caffeine is one of the worse of the stimulants when it comes to causing more anxiety.

unsettled and the other posters make good points though. You may not get crazy recreational effects from mixing these two substances, and you need to take your tolerance to each into consideration. Tolerance to stimulants (including caffeine) can go up very very fast.

wow im so immune to coffee i dont even feel it's typical effects, its just a habit, i get edgy when i dont have my coffee i crave for it like a cigarette. IT al Depends how caffeine EFFECTS YOU, if you get alertness and it supresses appetite, theni wouldnt definetly not take ritalin with it, its bad enough ritalins side effects and come down is very horrible *Im also Prescribed Clonazepam 1mg 3x* and drink it with my cup of coffee in the morning, its still effective with my anxiety, even when i drink coffee. whenever im taking ritalin or stims and when im crashing, i noticed i have to take DOUBLE of my regular amount of konopin to feel relief, which is not good as it will increase ur tolerance, for an unnecessary reason

I love mixing coffee with klonopin. I feel chill, but at the same time talkative. I always mix coffee with all my drugs including methadone (100mg).

I don't see why they would cancel each other out
I wish coffee didn't hurt my stomach so bad, I usually can't drink more than a cup a day, but even then I've cut back to maybe two caffeinated beverages a week unless I have shit I need to get done or get a REALLY bad sleep.
Like if I'm studying for a big test I usually pick up a four pack of red bull, surprisingly doesn't hurt my stomach near as bad as four cups of coffee would, only a hell of a lot more expensive

If anything caffeine will just give you more energy and keep your more alert while on clonazepam. You will still get the anxiolytic effects from clonazepam, as well as the muscle relaxation. I think the 2 work well together, caffeine kind of helps eliminate some ofthe negaive effects of benzos (tiredness, lethargy, staying focused)

The only drugs that will directly cancel out benzos are benzo antagonists (like Flumazenil) and inverse benzo agonists (like Alpha-5IA). The latter is supposed to be a good nootropic, but expensive as hell.

I frequently drink a can of monster every other day or so, and i mix my morning 1mg dose with it usually, and i feel more calm but still energetic, and slightly anxious. But i don't get jittery, or any other side effects that people get from high dose caffeine, so i guess the klonopin kinda balances it out. If your looking to feel a lot more calm etc take the klonopin alone, if you still want some energy but some anxiety to go down then you should mix the two.

I had a good friend suggest this to me for a "busy" feeling. I have tried caffeine and lorazepam but I get a bit cranky and a slight headache. For me, clonazepam and coffee (a small amount of strong coffee...not four cups) produces that "letscleanthehousemake soupbaththedogandcatdoallllthelaundry" type feeling

Well I take klonopin every night (0.5 mg) and drink monster energy every morning. I haven't straight up taken my kpins with caffeine but they're always in my system when I drink caffeine and haven't noticed any "cancelling out" of either.
I think a better combo would be to take a small dose of klonopin with some alcohol to increase the effects. No dangerous amounts though or anything. I've done this a few times with no negative side affects.

Actually, I have most definitely found that excessive caffeine reduces the anxiolytic effects of Klonopin if you need Klonopin for anxiety.

Caffeine increases cortisol, the stress hormone, and Klonopin is used to decrease stress, so if you use excessive amounts of caffeine and have anxiety you are likely to find yourself needing more Klonopin because the caffeine will make you more anxious.

If you do have anxiety you will probably find yourself less anxious when you drink less coffee and therefore needing less Klonopin.

This may not be the case for everyone since drugs effect everyone differently, but it most definitely does effect some people this way.

If you find that caffeine causes you anxiety, then you are most likely going to feel that it conflicts with anxiolytic drugs like Klonopin.

If caffeine doesn't cause you anxiety, then this may not be an issue.

I take Klonopin after getting up in the Afternoon, then after 1 hour, I drink 20oz of Pepsi (i usually take the 2L of pepsi and pour it into a 20oz(591ml) (63mg of caffeine) with a funnel, but it tend to fill it to the top (approxmately 600ml or 65mg of caffeine)), and after few minutes, I'm fully alert. I drink 2x 20oz pepsi twice a day to keep me up.