• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Mixing Kava Kava and Xanax?

bluntedskier

Bluelighter
I did a search on bluelight and there was only 1 other post I could find on this topic... and didn't really help too much.

Same goes for the web - and drugs.com besides an odd 'moderate' interaction and single case of a 54 yr old man(most of the drug combinations that I and people in general take on a regular basis fall under "moderate"...) there seems to be no other literature in any potential harm besides besides the obvious fact they are both CNS depressants.

I have really no idea about the neurological function(s) of Kava, but I'm about to go pickup my Xanax prescription (last one before they drop me off it entirely and switch me to Klonapin - retarded, medically incorrect and miserable plan) and have been very, especially anxious today.

I realize this is not necessary, but I remembered I grabbed a (very pricey) bottle of *snip - please don't name the brand of the capsules*Kava Kava capsules (230 kavalatones per serving) and seems like a really "heady" company in that as far as the capsules go and the specs/description of this product on their site, it seems like one of the more "pure" pill versions of the root..... unlike some cheap bottles you can buy that seem to be mostly bullshit.

Also my tolerance to xanax/benzos in general is unfortunately extremely high.... I was prescribed 6mg xanax per day for over a year and a half and have just begun the miserable (they are doing it completely wrong and far too fast) process of tapering off which is something I've wanted to do for a long time.

So to the point: anything that helps me relax extra and relieve anxiety and take that much less benzo is great. I don't get any "feeling" at all from taking Xanax, it just lets me feel normal and not anxious aka addicted. Does anyone have any experience with combining the two? I just have this trailer to finish editing, then I would like to curl up with my girlfriend, some chamomile tea (got wasted last night, dont want to think about alcohol), and pop 2mg xanax IR and perhaps like 400mg of Kava (2 or 3 capsules).... just don't want some weird adverse reaction to happen and end up freaking out etc.

It seems as though unless you just completely over did it.... Kava + Xanax sounds like a great combination for relaxing, relieving stress and chillin with a movie before bed?

I seem to be very very sensitive to what chemicals/psychoactive substances I ingest these days.... it sucks.

And one last note that is probably irrelevant but I am also (planning on getting off that too, hate it) on 900mg of Lithium per day.

Any input is much appreciated. I'm driving over to the CVS like now, be back in 20-25 .

Last edited by a moderator:
edit: oh, i always confuse kratom and kava. never mind, i have no idea. wouldn't stop me. sounds like a nice night. enjoy.

i've just edited out the brand of kava you're taking, please refrain from the naming please:)

aren't there issues with it being harmful to your liver? something to consider if you want to make this a longer term ordeal.

I have a sneaking suspicion that your heavy benzo tolerance may dramatically reduce the effects you feel from Kava. In general i'd say, yes these two drugs seems to be synergisitc, but from my experience (could be down to buying shitty OTC capsules) i always needed to take a lot more kava then the bottle said to get any MILD effect.

so if you already ahve a high benzo tolerance you may find yourself needing to take something like 10-15 capsules of kava to get where you wanna be... and if thats the case then it may become economically unfeasible and or too harmful to your liver.

I do have a friend who mentioned taking the capsules and essentially just brewing tea out of them and letting it steep for a long time, he reported getting very strong effects however he is someone who does not regularly take sedatives or anxiolytics

Hunter, A (2006). "Kava (Piper methysticum) back in circulation". Australian Centre for Complementary Medicine 25 (7): 529. — Makes the case of kava's main activity being GABA-ergic ----> hence the problems with someone who is already tolerant to gaba-a's (ie benzos)

Don't know how much I rate the source, don't know much about it but this is worth taking a look at:
http://www.annals.org/content/125/11/940.2.short

"Coma from the Health Food Store: Interaction between Kava and Alprazolam"

I am too lazy right now to VPN into my uni's network to get the full text, perhaps in the morning when i'm at work i can help you out if you want the full article
Just kidding, i VPN'd but what do you know... no access to "Annals of Internal Medecine"

incase you are still looking for more here's a 2011 article:

http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.3109/00048674.2010.522554
Kava: a comprehensive review of efficacy, safety, and psychopharmacology
January 2011, Vol. 45, No. 1 , Pages 27-35 (doi:10.3109/00048674.2010.522554)

but again... what do you know... no access to the "Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry"
silly univeristy of new hampshire... get with the program! I want full access to everything!

Last but not least - Here's one i've got full access too and is fairly comprehensive —
http://hmtjournals.com/vol5_2/001.pdf
"RISK OF CONCURRENT USE OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS WITH
HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS"

Journal of Herbal Medicine and Toxicology 5 (2) 1-7 (2011)
ISSN : 0973-4643

Here is the pertinent excerpt :
Drug: Alprazolam
Herb: Kava
Mechanism of Action:
Synergistic
gammaaminobutyric acid
(GABA) receptor
site action

Description of Interaction:
Increases
sedation,
leading to
coma
Counseling and Monitoring:
Tell patients to avoid using
alprazolam and kava together since
they may have a similar mechanism
of action and may result in increased
sedation.

my .02$

Last edited:
Also with that last article I posted, they mention mixing banzos and valerian. Something I have tried to mild success. same issues thought with cross tolerance of gabaergic herbs and drugs. but Valerian would be something you could consider. you can buy it OTC or also at say a health food store that sells bulk herbs. you can buy bulk valerian root and brew it into tea yourself. In theory it potentiates anxiolytic and sedative action of drugs like benzos

to answer some of your more simple request for advice:

you should be absolutely fine with chamomile tea, 2mg xanax, + 2-3 caps of kava.

My major concern is the reports of hepatoxicity with kava. 2-3 caps will not cause problems but if you make a habit of taking it every day then the could potentially lead to liver trouble. I am not an expert on the hepatoxiticty of kava but have heard it referenced in a few places.

If you can feel the state of relaxation you are seeking from chamomile + 2-3 kava + 2mg xanax, then you should be grand. If that works then you coudl try over the course of a few weeks increasing the chamomile and kava and slowly decreasing xanax. I think you should find no difference or little difference between xanax and klonopin (klonos tend to last a bit longer) but they're about equipotent, maybe xanax a bit faster acting. so as long as they switch you to similar dosages 1.5-2mg clonazepam should substitute just fine for 2mg xanax

From what I have read the, hepatotoxicity from kava comes from cheaper blends that use parts of the plant that shouldnt be used.
Also :

Dr. P. A. Cox, director of Hawaii’s National Tropical Garden, commented: “The indigenous people of the Pacific have used kava longer than anyone in Europe and if there is a liver threat then they should be suffering from it. I have never heard of a single case of liver toxicity caused by kava in nearly three decades of familiarity with it.”

From what I have read the, hepatotoxicity from kava comes from cheaper blends that use parts of the plant that shouldnt be used.
Also :

Dr. P. A. Cox, director of Hawaii’s National Tropical Garden, commented: “The indigenous people of the Pacific have used kava longer than anyone in Europe and if there is a liver threat then they should be suffering from it. I have never heard of a single case of liver toxicity caused by kava in nearly three decades of familiarity with it.”

totally in agreement; i was merely stating as a precaution before someone goes out and starts gobbling down handfulls of otc kava supplement pills... there have been hepatoxicity reports. however, as you said its generally due to using the wrong part of the plant.

I have PTSD and severe anxiety. I have tried valerian root, passion flower, Cdb oil, etc. Pretty much EVERYTHING natural. As well as most benzodiazepines. Alpazolam works quick but dont last, lorizapam takes longer to work but last long time and weird taste in ur mouth after use. Klonopin close to lorazepam, valium outdated and not even worth it, UNLESS you are older. And kava kava micronized is by far the best natural solution and yes mixed it with alpazolam and it seems to work along good.