• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

What are you currently reading? v2

A couple more good drug books are, Nikki sixx - the heroin diarys.
Disco bloodbath - about the murder of drug dealer Angel melendez by micheal alig. All about MDMA , ket and heroin.
Killing Pablo- Escobar's biography.
And the book jancrow said, wonderland ave- about Danny sugerman , is a must.

^

Mugz have you read this? You might enjoy it.

i can second it for being awesome. though i can't remember much about it other than he mentioned S matrices, suggests i need a reread.

i'm currently reading 'the beginning of infinity' by david deutsch, the guy whose work i essentially owe my charmed existence to.

i would highly recommend his 'fabric of reality' for anyone interested in philosophy or science. he beautifully desrcibes and puts together the 4 strands of knowledge he considers most fundamental to our reality (in the analytic post enlightenment tradition anyway): epistemology (really a must for ppl interested in knowledge....), evolution, information theory and quantum physics. if you like reading books by people who are the world leaders/seminal researchers for their fields, this should satisfy you.

Wow ! Many thanks for the wonderful responses to my question. Especially Sam's reply. Gives me tons of leads to follow up on Rapidshare, azureus vuze , ebay, amazon etc....I think i may even fork out for the 'Keef' book now rather than continue to try to be a cheapskate and try and get it for nothing off the net.

The Burroughs i attempted was Naked Lunch, someone had told me it was unreadable, and a couple of pages confirmed that to me !

Shame i cant add some of these titles to my christmas wishlist, but it would obviously lead my family to have deep reservations and suspicions about my current interests lol..

I think so far ive only read the 'drugs books' that 'everyone' has heard about, so am grateful to get all these new leads...

What about audiobooks so you can do both at the same time ?

Any one know of any good true life stories or fictional accounts about heavy drug consumption ?

I've read a fair bit of Irvine Welsh's stuff, also Fear and Loathing, and attempted The Doors Of Perception. I didnt get more than a couple of pages into Borroughs. I gather Keith Richards has done an autobiography - I would imagine that would be exactly the type of thing Im looking for, Ive been trying to find a downloadable copy of that TNA....

Stephen Fry mentions in one of his autobiographies that he has a tale or two to tell about his cocaine use, but is saving that for another book. I cannot wait until he releases that.

Any recomendations of anything simillar ?

(It doesnt have to be about rockstars)

Keef's book is a great read all right.. the classics are The Dirt (on Motley Crue) and Hammer of the Gods (about Led Zeppelin) - you don't have to like the music by the way...
Have you read Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas - you'd probably like it
If you wanna read about the 60's and acid etc, I'd recommend Acid Dreams, but it's more an examination of the social issues, and an analysis of the CIA's role in the explosion of psychedelia in the 60's - very interesting tho'
If you just want more of the madcap 60's loons, The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test is the book...

Finished - Stuart: A Life Backwards - well worth a read - story of a homeless guy who the author meets while working at a shelter, and decides his story needs to be told - doesn't shy away from anything, and shows how Stuart can be an insufferable cunt at times, but also a very perceptive human being, who was damaged by circumstances...

Started - Focault's Pendulum - like Dan Brown for literate people - lot's of arcane references and I'm not sure yet if it's worth the effort...

Still dipping in and out of - Bad Wisdom (Bill Drummond - KLF & Mark Manning - Zodiac Mindwarp) - nuts book full of shit & jizz and twisted fantasies - a decrepit but still randy Oscar Wilde's encounter with Keef Richards and the protagonists, and a battle with Queen Bitch Madonna and her ninja queer army of backing dancers are two memorable images...

About to start - Julian Cope - Head On / Reposessed

Bad Wisdom is great! Zodiac's one of my heroes. bill's bits are great too. You must read some more Mark Manning; he's a true genius. :)

Bad Wisdom is great! Zodiac's one of my heroes. bill's bits are great too. You must read some more Mark Manning; he's a true genius. :)

Will have a look on Amazon - hard to tell who's who at times in the book, but I'm guessing the most twisted bits are Z's...

That's right. I strongly recommend Fucked By Rock, which was just republished recently. It explains a lot about how Z came about. Really vivid depiction of '70s Britain too.

That's right. I strongly recommend Fucked By Rock, which was just republished recently. It explains a lot about how Z came about. Really vivid depiction of '70s Britain too.

added to wish list... this place is costing me a fortune - and not in drugs - can't find a sniff of them - it's my books and music habit that's taking a trashing

Finished -

Started - Focault's Pendulum - like Dan Brown for literate people - lot's of arcane references and I'm not sure yet if it's worth the effort...

Still dipping in and out of - Bad Wisdom (Bill Drummond - KLF & Mark Manning - Zodiac Mindwarp) - nuts book full of shit & jizz and twisted fantasies - a decrepit but still randy Oscar Wilde's encounter with Keef Richards and the protagonists, and a battle with Queen Bitch Madonna and her ninja queer army of backing dancers are two memorable images...

Two of the best.

For train or beach, Nick Stone's " King of Swords" is perfect. Drugs, politics, cops and voodoo in 80s Miami. A great, undemanding read from page 1 onward.

i take it you meant the umberto eco? i really enjoyed it, it does take a lot of concentration. don't think i managed to keep up with every tiny detail but got enough to for that not to detract from its brilliance.

i take it you meant the umberto eco? i really enjoyed it, it does take a lot of concentration. don't think i managed to keep up with every tiny detail but got enough to for that not to detract from its brilliance.

Yes- I am enjoying it now - read another 60 odd pages last night, just feeling I should have Google open while reading it to look stuff up - might do if I go back to it a 2nd time (i often re-read books a year or two on)...

For train or beach, Nick Stone's " King of Swords" is perfect. Drugs, politics, cops and voodoo in 80s Miami. A great, undemanding read from page 1 onward.

Another one for the list - 1p on Amazon Marketplace (where I get most of my books from these days) - ok so with postage it comes to £2.81, but still, there's great value to be had on there...

edit: seems his previous book is a sequel to this (or, more correctly this is a prequel) - wonder which order to read 'em?

About to start - Julian Cope - Head On / Reposessed

Stick with Focault's Pendulum - it drags a bit in the middle as I remember, but definitely worth it. Head On / Reposessed is the best music autobiography ever.

Yeah, Head On/Repossessed is fantastic read, and +1 for everything Bill Drummond has ever written, music or literature.

sl-68194.jpg

The crazy days of acid house and afterwards.

Re-reading for the LOLZ. And there's many.

"The best way to take coke is off a record player - rack it out on the deck in a circle and press play. You don't even have to move your head."

I've obtained some of the books recomended in this thread and am very glad that i did. I downloaded "a million tiny pieces" on audiobook. Not sure if its read by the author himself, but the guy reading it deserves an oscar for the great job he made of it, is absolutely brilliant, its extremely powerful stuff. He sounds kind of like a hard-edged Keanu Reaves. Very very intense without being hysterical. Not sure if im emotionally unstable at the moment, but im finding it very moving im only up to halfway though section 3 so far and it has bought many a tear to my eyes so far. I am unable to describe the tale about his only friend in his youth, and his experience at the dentist, other than to say they were so moving they had me breaking down and sobbing to myself.

Ive also purchased Opium Eater on disc via ebay. Shame to say the narrator of that has a rather irritating voice, a bit like a pompous, posh, old fashioned & silly version of Alan Titchmarsh !! Sounds bad ? Yes it is !! I think its the combination of the flowery victorian language and the guys voice that gives that impression but once you get used to that its ok but very rambly. Im about an hour and a half into it, and he has yet to metnion anything concrete about consuming Opium, its all been pre-amble. But it is certainly something different & passes the time driving to and from work.

Scar Tissue seems extremely hard to get hold of on audio book without paying a fortune in postage to get it imported from the USA or Australia. Im still trying. And Ive been Outbid on ebay for the Keef audio book but i'll persist.

Once again, thanks for the recomendations folks !!

Last edited: