• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

What are you currently reading? v2

Reading David Icke Love is the Only Truth - Everything Else is Illusion: Exposing the Dreamworld We Believe to be Real. I think what puts a lot of people off him is the Alien/Reptilian stuff but his theory on the world we see as an illusion is well backed up by science.

The universe is apparently made up of 95% dark matter, our eyes can only pick up the other 5% luminous matter therefore we’re virtually blind to what’s out there. So because we can’t see other species/life forms they can’t exist theory is a bit redundant.

Won’t get to deep into it but it’s a very interesting book.

IMO, Icke's a dreadful fraud. Shallow, vain and talented only as a self-publicist. Picks up the dogends of old counter-culture ideas he half understands and repackages them for sale as his own cigars for an audience raised on soundbites and superficiality. Tragi-comic; he gets rich and the originals fade forgotten into obscurity. Check out his early career and use your imagination to fill in the dots to figure where he's at. The pick up Robert de Rupp or Eric Berne, they remain in print and popular and you may find them far more interesting.

Hahaa, don't normally look in this thread, but lovely to see John Waters at the top of the page....and I don't read much, at this moment I reading the paper, but I've not long finished Role Models by John Waters, great book, easy chunks.

IMO, Icke's a dreadful fraud. Shallow, vain and talented only as a self-publicist. Picks up the dogends of old counter-culture ideas he half understands and repackages them for sale as his own cigars for an audience raised on soundbites and superficiality. Tragi-comic; he gets rich and the originals fade forgotten into obscurity. Check out his early career and use your imagination to fill in the dots to figure where he's at. The pick up Robert de Rupp or Eric Berne, they remain in print and popular and you may find them far more interesting.

I've read some Terence Mckenna and found some of it really interesting shame he died so young

Im about to read Bret Easton ellis - Less than zero... An old book but I never got round to reading it....

Just finished Albert Camus's 'The Outsider' today, pretty good read for the length of it!

i loathe always having to be the one to drive. reading time is severely hampered.

What about audiobooks so you can do both at the same time ?

Any one know of any good true life stories or fictional accounts about heavy drug consumption ?

I've read a fair bit of Irvine Welsh's stuff, also Fear and Loathing, and attempted The Doors Of Perception. I didnt get more than a couple of pages into Borroughs. I gather Keith Richards has done an autobiography - I would imagine that would be exactly the type of thing Im looking for, Ive been trying to find a downloadable copy of that TNA....

Stephen Fry mentions in one of his autobiographies that he has a tale or two to tell about his cocaine use, but is saving that for another book. I cannot wait until he releases that.

Any recomendations of anything simillar ?

(It doesnt have to be about rockstars)

The book or audiobook ive enjoyed the most recently has been Jack London's Call of the Wild. Not about drugs atall but completely fucking fantastic. Took some mdai one night & couldnt sleep, ended up listening to the whole thing in bed right through the night. About 9 hours non stop. It was completely engrossing.....

From wikipedia "The plot concerns a previously domesticated dog named Buck, whose primordial instincts return after a series of events leads to his serving as a sled dog in the Yukon during the 19th-century Klondike Gold Rush, in which sled dogs were bought at generous prices. Buck learns from his experiences and becomes an overall dominant (conquering), primordial (More like ancestors) beast (undomesticated). Buck also learns lessons and remembers instincts (from his ancestors) that help him to become a ferocious beast."

That doesnt really do it justice, but i dont have the time right now to try and "sell" the book to any one.

Last edited:
Any one know of any good true life stories or fictional accounts about heavy drug consumption ?

Wonderland Avenue by Danny Sugerman and Permanent Midnight by Jerry Stahl are both bitchin' drug memoirs. Danny Sugerman was practically adopted as a teenager by Jim Morrison and Iggy Pop and suffered the consequences of this unconventional upbringing. Jerry Stahl was a screenwriter for US soaps (including ALF) who got pretty messed up on smack. Both good books.

I've read a fair bit of Irvine Welsh's stuff, also Fear and Loathing, and attempted The Doors Of Perception. I didnt get more than a couple of pages into Borroughs. I gather Keith Richards has done an autobiography - I would imagine that would be exactly the type of thing Im looking for, Ive been trying to find a downloadable copy of that TNA....

Which Burroughs did you start with? He can be pretty difficult to begin with. Junky is really easy to pick up though; it's just a factual account of his years of heavy addiction, with not an unexpected buggery, hanging or Dr. Benway in sight. It also helps you to understand a lot of the allusions in his fiction which is worthwhile.

The Keef Richards autobiography is indeed wonderful, even if you don't like the Stones (which I do). The account of his heroin years shows how he went from buying pure diamorphine from prescripted addicts in the UK to engaging in incredibly dodgy deals for street smack in the US. The most surprising fact that emerges is that Keith was an IM user. Never expected that.

Funnily enough I'm re-reading Confessions of An English Opium-Eater just now. Of course it's written in late eighteenth / early nineteenth century scholarly English so it's a lot more florid than many people tend to prefer but I love it and it's weird that I've picked it up now some ten years later to find that it's the same time of year that De Quincey left Manchester Grammar school (down the road from me) and our footsteps converge in other places too. Loads of sexy laudanum too.

Another one I'd recommend is You Can't Win by Jack Black (not that one) which influenced Burroughs and features tales of gambling, the hobo lifestyle and an 'honourable' criminal network alongside some opium abuse. It also shows an America that really captures the imagination; gone now but still with a hold on popular memory. It's great.

Off the top of my head those spring to mind just now, but there's plenty out there besides that.

A very good book about drug addiction and rehab , is James Frey - a million little pieces. There's a second book that has him kicking about with a fella out the Mafia, that he met in rehab , both very good books.

^Read thatun a week or so ago, really good, easy and interesting read & been looking about for 'my friend leonard' in charity shops etc since

I'm stop start reading Brian Greene's second book "The Fabric of the Cosmos" It is the follow up to his book "The Elegant Universe" which explains the basics of string theory, relativity, quantum mechanics and he writes it in a way that you don't need to be a scientist to understand, he is great at using metaphors and other neat tools to explain the fundamentals rules of physics. The first book was amazing. I'm reading the second book in preparation for the 3rd book he wrote called "The Hidden Reality" which I am really looking forward to reading.

Anyone with any sort of interest in wanting to try and understand this sort of complex science in lamens terms then I recommend reading these books. I can't give him enough praise for them, they are great books. He is a great author.

^

Mugz have you read this? You might enjoy it.

220px-The_Tao_of_Physics_by_Fritjof_Capra.jpg

I havent SHM. Added to my amazon wishlist now though, looks interesting I think I would most definitely like it :) Thanks for the recommendation.