Bluelight

Thread: What's the best way to consume DXM "robo gelcaps"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    What's the best way to consume DXM "robo gelcaps"? 
    Peace
    Okay, so I've done a variety of stuff (LSD, Mushrooms, LSA, and DXM once before) and I recently decided to give DXM another try as I enjoyed the first experience with it.

I have 28 robitussin gel caps (the red kind with a white R on 'em) containing 15mg of DXM each. If my math is correct, this adds up to 420mg of DXM, which is about 120mg more than I consumed the first time I tried it. I weigh 54kg, so again, if my calculations are correct this will put me on a high 2nd/low 3rd plateau trip which is exactly where I want to be. I basically want to lay in bed and listen to music while watching the light show like the last time.

I know a lot of people consider this to be a "crappy teenager drug" but I wanted to give it a fair shake and see if I can get some enjoyment out of it again, as its been years since I've tried it and things like special K are hard to come by in my area.

My question for you guys is this: What's the best way to consume these? The last time (years ago) I simply took all the caps over the span of an hour, and it took ages to kick in and played hell with my guts the next day. I'm pretty sure the coating on the caps gummed up the works, and I'm hoping to avoid that this time around.

I've heard about putting the caps in a glass of water to dissolve them and later consuming the liquid as a shot. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if so were the effects as expected and how long did they take to kick? I'm not concerned about prolonging the trip, in fact, I'd prefer a shorter "trip" to a longer one in this case.

I am not interested in doing an extraction to get pure DXM powder or anything. That's a little more effort than I want to put into this, and if I were interested in in a source for the pure stuff I'd just order it. So I'm basically just looking for the best way to take what I have on hand.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

2. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion
    Other Drugs
    Philosophy & Spirituality
    Cut the caps open, "wash" them with a little water to collect all the DXM sludge inside, drink the sludge and chase it with soda or something. You can eat the gelatine husks left over or just pitch them out.

I agree; brand name robogels take fucking forever to kick in and sometimes don't kick in at all. Splitting them is the way to go - dissolving takes forever and will give you a gelled mess.
    Guidelines for OD ||| OD Standards ||| OD Directory Read Me First! ||| NPD Rules
    Please read the links above or PM me if I lock your post. R.I.P. F28

3. Collapse Details

Thanks for the reply Sekio, I'll probably use your method, I'm in no hurry so these will remain in the stash box where they've been for months now.

I was wondering, what method do you use for cutting them open? I'm worried about my goo ending up on the table, I suppose cutting them inside of a glass jar would avoid this? How hard it is to cut down to the good stuff, the caps seem pretty thick?

My plan was to mix the goo with a bit of water and knock it back. I heard DXM is pretty bitter (never tasted it...), I have a pretty strong stomach but should I be mixing the goo with anything to make it easier to get down or is the man up and take it fast method the best?

I appreciate your time as always. >)

4. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Other Drugs
    I have never actually cut more than a few caps open as an experiment. But you'll need a good pair of scissors and preferably a bowl to catch the goop. Don't use a jar or a cup if it's your first time because the gel will squirt everywhere. Don't mix it with anything more than the minimum ampount of water needed to rinse the gels - keep it as one vile shot because if you mix it into other things then you have a huge volume of nasty shit to drink.

Another option is to blend all the gelcaps in a blender and strain the gelatine out with a e.g. tea strainer.
    Guidelines for OD ||| OD Standards ||| OD Directory Read Me First! ||| NPD Rules

5. Collapse Details

I always just took the gels proper. Empty stomach, get them down within :10 or so, a glass of water after they are all down. spreading out the initial dose has never done me any favors. I've tried draining caps before, but it is one nasty, nasty shot. Worse than cactus, worse than aya, and it stays with you awhile. Other than that though it is a good method, I just can't do it and stay happy.

6. Collapse Details

Omg was just going to start a thread on dxm, Headphones I am just like you i viewed dxm as a 'loser drug' but things like k and lsd are hard to comeby in my area all the time which does indeed make dxm a 'loser' drug only to be used out of desparation and as a last resort. I AM SO HAPPY i discovered the cut-the-gel open trick, last time i downed 28 gels i didnt feel much just a bum buzz...hmm maybe this method will finally allow me to get some enjoyment out of dxm once and for all...

7. Collapse Details

The inside of those gels are nasty, nasty shit. You are better off just getting syrup if you are going to break them open.

8. Collapse Details

I'm surprised no one mentioned the thumb tack method. Just poke a hole a tiny hole or two in the gels with a thumb tack and you're good too go. The gel will stay inside prior to ingestion, but will break open right quick in your tummy. No nasty chemical taste, though I really don't mind it at all. I find syrup to be better though, generic robo cough max dex is great imo.

9. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Other Drugs
    Puncturing the gels multiple times is probably the best method.

10. Collapse Details

ok heres my 2 cents...

honestly, hate the gelcaps, i like the syrup better. but if you must...

I think that just puttin those fuckers in your mouth, bite them open, and quickly take a drink of something good tasting. What i'd do is put lets say 4 or 5 in my mouth, bite down on them all, then all at once bite them open and quickly take a drink. Tastes fucking nasty, but it only lasts a second and this way theres no screwing around with breaking them open and shit.

P.S. the only reason to break them open is if you dont wanna wait 2 hrs for effects. If waiting isnt an issue, just swallow those things

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I just down 20 robogel generics in a mouthful of soda, and sit back. Usually I can get to 4 or 5 bottles without so much as a bit of nausea, but I am the only person I know with such an iron stomach. 12 hour time release syrup, the kind that comes in orange or grape, seems to do me the best. Tastes like vaseline, but it gets me obscenely high for an unusual amount of time. Those and the infamous Znites. I hope my post was even useful, i'm on dxm now ^_^ so I just felt I had to try.

My body seems to handle DXM like its pure gold, it makes sure every last bit is utilized.

12. Collapse Details

Cool
    In no way do I consider DXM to be a "lame drug" anyone who believes that garbage hasn't experienced its true power. Anyways I would definitely recommend you try another preparation if you are having trouble getting the gels down. Although some people are fond of the popping method from hearing other's experiences with it, it is not worth the effort and the taste is worse than syrup (if you can imagine). Also if it does help with absorption the amount would probably be miniscule, it is much easier and faster to just take them 4-5 at a time until the bottle is done.

A full bottle contains 300mg, and since you're 116lbs a bottle and a half should be enough to get you where you want to be. My best advice is to experiment with doseage and find what works for you best. Personally I prefer to take them all within 20 minutes. My dose with gels due to tolerance must be two bottles per trip, and even then I usually have to supplement that with another prep to get to my usual 800-900mgs.

Goodluck

13. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    What's the point at which you say "i'm not getting any more desirable effects?" I've reached (10) 5oz bottles (550mg each) in a night and just had mostly immobile night lol. Tripped balls, but it was quite taxing.

14. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Hydramine View Post
    What's the point at which you say "i'm not getting any more desirable effects?" I've reached (10) 5oz bottles (550mg each) in a night and just had mostly immobile night lol. Tripped balls, but it was quite taxing.
    I DO NOT recommend such a dose.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Hydramine View Post
    I DO NOT recommend such a dose.
    Exactly, once you are doing dumb shit like that (I was almost that bad, for a couple years (a three or four bottle dose once or twice a week) Then it is time to cut ties, and do something with a little less abuse and brain damage potential. In my opinion of course.

16. Collapse Details

Capsule
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokuren View Post
    Anyways I would definitely recommend you try another preparation if you are having trouble getting the gels down. Although some people are fond of the popping method from hearing other's experiences with it, it is not worth the effort and the taste is worse than syrup (if you can imagine).

Goodluck
    Good advice bud, I prefer syrup too. But your missing the point and the above posts all together in this thread. ^ If you poke a bunch of holes in the gel caps with a thumb tack the gel will stay inside but you"ll be surprised how rapidly it degrades in your stomach. How is that not worth the effort?????, it takes ten seconds tops. And again, there will be no bad taste. And there is a subjectively different experience with the caps some people prefer, different onsets.
    Last edited by PhencyclidineDream; 12-10-2011 at 21:14.

17. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Just swallow the gels. No need for all that cutting and poking and such. The gel dissolves immediately in the gut and does NOT gum up as you are imagining. They take about 60 - 90 minutes to kick in, and will last roughly eight hours, give or take. You'll peak about 4 hours after consumption. DXM is no joke. It is bottomless and fathomless. It is one of the most powerful psychedelics out there, believe me. If you treat it casually, it will kick your ass soon enough.

18. Collapse Details

Id have to disagree. Everyone is different, I've taken DXM over 200 times and found it one the most shallow experiences i've ever had. Low doses are no more than a buzzy, social and drunk feel, and high doses still never go out of my comfort zone. I've topped out at the LD50 (not advised) for this substance before and hardly got any confusion at all. Never a mind fuck. Bottomless is more like ketamine or Phencyclidine, those are much stronger dissociatives for the majority of people. Though DXM can be bottomless, it's more trance like for me.

Back to topic, do it however you would like HeadphonesandLSD, but do realizes some (few) people actually don't have the proper enzymes to convert the dxm in their liver, so they essentialy can't trip. Not saying your one of them. Although for me in the beginning of DXM use, I could down a bottle on a full stomach and feel the dex buzz in about a half hour.

And DXM is a classified as a hallucinogenic dissociative first, enough though it has subjective psychedelic effects.
    Last edited by PhencyclidineDream; 13-10-2011 at 00:24.

19. Collapse Details

Thank you all for the replies, I am unsure exactly how I will consume them at this point. I don't like the idea of the nasty taste I'm hearing about, I'm sure I could deal with it but I think it could ruin the over all experience. This thumb tack method sounds interesting, I might give it a try. I've "stocked up" on the gels so I won't be trying syrup, but I'll keep it in mind for the next trip if I decided to embark on another.

Right now, I'm kinda stuck trying to find a night to do these. Work and other things just keep piling up on me and weekends have been busy as ever. For five weekends I've thought about downing these things and something always makes me say "I'll wait another week" >.>, I'm starting to get impatient but I'm going to wait for that perfect day/night. I had a free Saturday about a month back and thought about taking them then, but then the day went to shit and I knew it wasn't a good idea to take 'em.

I have a lot of respect for this drug, and that's from personal experience and all I've read about it. I've read countless trip reports and I know how horrible things can get if you view this drug as just an "OTC" and start taking it too often. Rest assured I've done my research! But getting input in (almost) real time from people in the know is very helpful as well. I'm happy I finally registered heh.

Anyway....good to see I'm not the only one out there that enjoys it! I was really surprised at the effects it had when I tried it last time. Hours and hours of pure bliss while I listened to classical music on my headphones and "ice skated on the rings of Saturn". The CEVs were just awesome, I hope my next "voyage into space" is as good as the last time! I have far better headphones now...hence my name! So this time I should be 100% blocked out from all outside noise. Should be very interesting indeed!

Also, I found DXM to be wonderful for the withdraws I was having from Roxicodone when I last took it. I didn't have cravings for a few days after and it took away some of the night sweats and other symptoms. However, I don't suggest people attempt to "detox" with it as you could substitute one thing for the other if you're like me... Back then, I could see making DXM an every day thing, not so much anymore, I have more respect for everything now. If I could only kick these damn cancer sticks....haha

Oh, a question: If it wasn't the caps that "gummed up the works" is that just a side effect of DXM then? Or maybe its just me? I have a strong stomach, but the rest of my stuff doesn't take well to certain things (like milk). Perhaps an inactive in the caps disagrees with me?

Can someone explain to me the difference between DXO and DXM? I think I understand it but I'm unsure...I've been told that if you use the gelcaps normally that it will mess up the ratio of DXM to DXO or something to that effect and that the trip will feel different. I'll be the first to admit I don't understand much of this...but I'm attempting to learn! I guess what I'm asking is, what's the difference between using the syrup versus the caps versus pure powder as far as the "feeling" of the "trip".

One more before I go: I didn't mix DXM with anything when I took it the first time because I wanted a "clean" take on it. I'm thinking about taking a few tokes of some local homegrown this go around. I've heard that even an experienced head needs to go easy on the cheeba when on DXM. I have two questions to anyone experienced with this combo if they'd be so kind:

1) When it the best time to toke? At the peak or before or after?

2) I understand this depends on the person but: One or two tokes should be a "safe" way to gauge how I will react to the combo correct? Will taking just a couple of tokes have an effect on the rest of the trip or does the effect of the combo wear off around the same time one or two tokes would normally "wear off" for me?

I understand that's not the greatest way to ask the question...but I'm tired and I'm having trouble wording it atm. I'm just looking for advice on combining the two basically, mainly, if it might be a bad idea.

Again thanks for the helpful replies, please do keep them coming!
    Last edited by HeadphonesandLSD; 13-10-2011 at 12:33.

20. Collapse Details

^ I sometimes get anxiety problems from weed, which is not something you want to have happen during a DXM peak. I generally smoke weed about 2 hours into a DXM experience, which is around the time that I plateau. It's really up to you, though. If you smoke before/during the peak, the visuals will be greatly enhanced. It really all depends on what you feel comfortable with. That being said, marijuana is a necessary component to all of my DXM trips. I don't even bother with it if I don't have any weed.

21. Collapse Details

Well it depends, Headphonesandlsd, does DXM usually make you relaxed and just out of body like?

For me DXM always calms me the fuck down, while still providing that buzz. Kinda E like in a weird way. If so, you'll have no troubles tokeing a few bong hits. Just go easy with it, it'll hit you not long after you exhale and hit you hard if it's moderately good weed. Awesome combo imo. The DXM itself will take on a stoned effect, so it will still be very, very DXM like, if you know what I mean. The combo high will taper off about the same time as a normal hit, but you can get it going for a while if you keep lighting up. DXM has an awesome and unique way of potentiating and overpowering other psychoactive substances quite well. If
    you can, try mixing Psilysiben mushrooms into the picture too. The DXM actually overpowers them, leaving you with that flowing DXM feel, and some insane visuals, while taking away the mindfuck of the shrooms, so it's
    very recreational imo.

As far as subjective effects go with DXM, I've found syrup to be the best, hits you hard and fast and you can feel it slightly numb out your stomach. Gel caps are good if you have a weak stomach, just be sure you arn't full but do have enough in your stomach so digestion isnt an issue. Gels also have slightly less of a body buzz in my experience, closer to powder. Pure powder is nice but not not worth the effort unless your having problems with the other two methods.

DXM seems to be strongest at the PCP2 and sigma receptors and DXO primarily targets the NMDA receptor while Ethanol (in syrup) acts partialy as a NMDA agonist as well.

Some DXM converts into DXO in the body. Pure DXO is hard to come by. Imagine DXM giving you that drunk buzzy feel while DXO being a tad bit more trippy.

If the syrup takes the longer to go through your liver, then the some of the gels contents will convert to DXO faster. Which could have an effect on the overall experience.

So I say, take the gels, wait till you get a good buzz going, and toke a few though out to reduce nausea. Also realize if you smoke the day after when you have afterglow this will essential bring back the dissociated high for a short period.
    Last edited by PhencyclidineDream; 14-10-2011 at 11:11.

22. Collapse Details

It's not that dxm itself is lame, it is just that if you are not taking pure dxm powder and are ingesting cough medicine products to get the dxm that is obviously out of desparation with the pure dxm not being available to the user therefore they restort to cough medicine. Some people are oblivious to the fact they are ingesting mass quantities of garbage substances when they take dxm this way. Dxm is the classical 'loser' drug for this very reason. When nothing better is around people will resort to using cough medicine to get a buzz, hence the loser name given to this drug.

DXM is the grossest buzz, body high, and trip I have ever experienced. I came close to trying it again god knows for what reason, i wanted a stronger substance that wasn't available, i have 40 robo gels sitting in a bowl waiting to poke holes in them, but I remember the last time I dex'd the buzz was displeasurable i regretted doing it i felt gross.

For those of you who get pleasure out of dxm can you please describe it and why you like dxm?

23. Collapse Details

I just want to try dxm and actually get some desirable effects like the positive ones erowid describes, however every time i've done it it's just been such a messy awkward buzz.

Can someone tell me how many gels i should pop (i have 40) weigh 160lbs. What should i take for a nice fun ride to enjoy some music too? Please someone experienced with dex tell me how to enjoy the shit once and for all!

24. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Other Drugs
    Some people just don't like the "flu-like" body load that you get on DXM, that's fine. I think you just have to take your lumps and deal with the wierd body load as part of the very heavy, intoxicating trip.

If you don't like the "high" then don't do DXM because you probably won't start liking it all of a sudden.

25. Collapse Details

sekio good advice, i don't think there's any chance i can start liking dxm...

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=1903

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast