• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines Benzofuran analogues of Tryptamines (e.g. 5-MeO-BFE)

well iv tested it and after all the this n that has been said about it all i can say is strongest drug ever made my arse it is i took the lot that i had around a 100mg tried smoking it and eating around 25mg smoked rest necked no stronger than a very mild e at most sorry people . am planing to give it one last try as i can see a potential for a trip out of it some how

There are different analysis methods, some of which can only compare while others can independently measure a certain property. The analysis results may be unique enough to match them to some suggested compound.

Just as an example: a reagent test can roughly confirm a suspicion but leave open other possibilities. NMR analysis reflects the structural formula so it can help elucidate the exact compound. Neither of these are the ideal solutions for purity tests, a color indicator is virtually useless for that in most cases and NMR can take you only so far.
Other methods are great for determining purity but partially or entirely useless for identification.

I know that the phenomenon exists that RC samples are sneaked into NMR labs which I guess can be good to confirm that a compound has reached the grey market but bad for your career or education if they find out.

Last edited:
HPLC-NMR would be ideal so you can analyse each fraction as it comes out of the column.

HPLC-MS could at least work if there are known mass peaks for 5-MeO-BFE. If the product is of significantly low quality, we're likely to see a mixture of products in separate fractions from the HLPC anyway. Even without knowing what's in it until further analysis, low purity would discourage consumption until more is known

well this guinea pig is going to get a gram in a week or two for field testing i think its the only way to truly tell what we have on a none scientific leave i.e. drop it and see

That is a moronic way to approach a completely unknown compound. I mean fss...

really and how does every other drug get tested ? in the same way i'm not getting into this because i'm getting sick of the prissy attitude of some people have who just take any chance to sound cleaver and supriya in here like yourself. i have all ready tried this chemical once there is nothing great about it or worry some in the sense of o it could be lethal so why shouldnt i up the dosing next time plus its been out long enuff now and they have shifted enuff that reports would be showing up in sites like this of any bad side affects . o and yes i know this is a harm reduction site

i'm getting sick of the prissy attitude of some people have who just take any chance to sound cleaver and supriya in here like yourself.

Yes me too, and now they're trying to soil this great thread with jargon about lab techniques they have probably never used.

You can do some qualitative analysis to judge if something has a chemical structure close to a tryptamine, or is even a tryptamine itself. Tryptamines have a characteristic smell, kind of like a potent flower (just not very flowery) or moth balls. I'm sure most people here have smelled DMT, 5-MeO-DMT or aMT. They are also frequently orange to yellow in color. The 5-MeO-DMEBZF should be similar, but of course distinct.

Additionally the replacement of the indole nitrogen with an oxygen atom is probably going to change the physicochemical properties of the substance considerably. I don't know how it will affect the odor, but consider that replacing nitrogen with oxygen would add affinity for water thereby the description of a sludgey (or was it tar/oily?) substance that was made previously does make some sense. This is opposed to receiving a dry powder, which may not be possible for these benzofuran derivatives.

A good question then is how is the water solubility? Does it dissolve readily into water? If so, this is probably a good sign but not the end of the road because we don't know if it is in freebase or salt form to begin with.

Anyways I think the field test is a great idea and plan on joining you as soon as the sample arrives. =)

Last edited:
nice one. the taste of the orange goo is strange it was like sugary at first then you get a paracetamol fowlness to it, feel is abit like home made toffee that has not set properly because you have put to much sugar into it you know if you drop it into water to test it before poring how it go's then

Look, I've told you before. This board is not for discussing unconfirmed compounds sold under brand names. It's the same thing as bath salts or mesketamine or the initial phase when benzo fury hit the market. At this point it is way way more believable or even analytically confirmed (I do suspect so) that 5-APB and 6-APB are available and sold as is, under the chemical name.
So really I am doing you a favor still allowing this, hoping to enforce some HR. I'm not looking for appreciation but I'm not looking for attitudes like "just eat it" either. DO NOT act like you know more about this than you actually do. Talk like you understand that most of this is speculation. There are problems with the credibility of the source which because of rules we cannot get into specifically.
This is not whether people actually have experience with analysis methods - which I have, GC-MS, NMR (mostly with a 400? or 600 old piece of crap tho), X-ray crystallography etc - the whole point though is that some of these methods can actually point out what your orange goo is.

Treat unknown samples with respect. Bluelight is here to let us help each other point out that careful titration is appropriate, that speculation does not turn into assumptions like large lumps of the Strassman DMT theory, to prevent that we give each other a false sense of security eating chemicals of which the identity and possibly short term or long term effects are unknown.

Yes foolsgold you keep remembering that this is a harm reduction site. I don't care much for the signal "yea I've taken it, everything is cool just go ahead" or something to that remote effect. Don't be too casual about it, others might get casual about it as well, take it too far. How often is a new product bought by a needy idiot and redosed and redosed until an effect can become apparent? Good effects or bad side effects.

The major point is: you need to understand what effect your posts have on susceptible, ignorant BL viewers or users who don't know what to do with their product and basically take the first couple of hints they can find on the internet. Those hints should not be your casual approach, they should be the warnings about unknown identity and everything else that is uncertain, that we have discussed.

Right. In the end the result is a number of people go ahead and assay this product themselves, but it is the mindset that counts. Careful or casual. It can be a difference like night and day. And why the talk about analysis? So that we can confirm what the damn goo is! That works even if you have no analysis experience if you send it to the right lab and let them do it. Gah....

Can we get a 'hoorah!' for antiintellectualism? Oh wait, it's not really required.

Why would replacing nitrogen with oxygen add affinity for water? They're aromatic systems, swapping atoms should matter much less than it does normally (with the notable exception of pyridine) - and besides, even if it weren't aromaticised, would that be the case then either? Consider the water solubility of dimethylether versus dimethylamine. Dimethylamine is more soluble in water. Benzofuran is less soluble than indole (a simple O for N swap), additionally.

cLogPs for the N,N-dimethylated compounds (one being DMT of course, as we know the properties of that, and it's corresponding benzofuran cousin) are 1.8 for DMT and 1.87 for N,N-BFE, indicating that the BFE compound might actually be less water soluble, though not by much if at all. So probably pretty similar. :)

Last edited:
I'm not really getting your first remark matt - especially when you proceed to ask questions about physical chemistry properties... lol

Just a guess, but the dipole moment of dimethylamine is higher than that of dimethylether, that may be the reason - it could matter more since the molecules are small. With the benzofuran vs. tryptamine it could be more important that oxygen has two lone pairs in benzofuran while nitrogen has only one lone pair in tryptamine... which can interact with water (H-bond?) better. Just a suggestion, maybe I am totally off here and speaking like a chem noob.

So, we're talking about these compounds on several levels here - interesting to notice, also in the light of my previous post.

It was intended in an ironic sense :) heh

Yep, agreed about the lone pairs - unfortunately, it's not possible to compare pyran with pyridine since it exists in two forms, 2H-pyran and 4H-pyran. That's why I compared indole with benzofuran (edited post to accomodate) - neat indole having better water solubility than neat benzofuran is pretty telling, I think!

Mattpsy can you post a reference to your data? My assertion was just a guess based on the electrons and the fact that all the 6-APB samples I have received seem to be much less soluble than those I have had of MDMA. But the odds of anyone here doing one of those techniques on their RC sample are very, very low so we will have to find other ways to think about it for the time being.

Fortunately it got the thread back on track.

Solipsis said:
This board is not for discussing unconfirmed compounds sold under brand names.

Actually the compound is being sold under a trade name but on the website it also clearly says what chemical it is, or what they claim they are selling. So really the only questions are around purity and is what they say it is truly what it is, not just something devious like benzofuran mixed with a tiny bit of orange paint.

Which is why I revert to trying to qualitatively determine that yes it at least is similar to a tryptamine. Thanks to Matt I also looked up the benzofuran MSDS (http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB8853413.htm) and it says it is both insoluble and very slightly soluble in water (I didn't find a good one for indole with solubility details though). But most importantly the MSDS says it exists as an oily yellow liquid. The fact that benzofuran is an oil makes this...

flameboyd2012 said:
its like orangey gooey stuff

sound a lot better.

Lol - I was going off a lot of different pages before - not sure exactly. Some journal articles, some MSDS, some from Wolfram|Alpha.

Benzofuran (which is either a colourless or yellowish oil depending on your reference) appears to be similar in many ways to indole - both discolour with age ,exposure to light and heat, and oxidation. So the orange colour could very well just be from preparation from crappy 5-methoxybenzofuran,just like it can be from preparing DMT or 5-MeO-DMT from crappy indole or 5-methoxyindole. PP, you are right about it having a lower m.p, so it's possible at least that the freebase could be an oil too.

Well, now is about the time someone needs to make the HCl salt from it to check the physical properties.

This thread shall not die! The sample has been acquired...

It is a dark red rubbery substance, much like a piece of wax or solidified oil. It smells a bit more mild than aMT, DMT or 5-MeO-DMT but still has that lingering tryptamine-esque, kinda flowery but not, moth ball-type odor.

I'll see about the 5HT1 agonism this weekend...

This thread shall not die! The sample has been acquired...

It is a dark red rubbery substance, much like a piece of wax or solidified oil. It smells a bit more mild than aMT, DMT or 5-MeO-DMT but still has that lingering tryptamine-esque, kinda flowery but not, moth ball-type odor.

I'll see about the 5HT1 agonism this weekend...

cant wait for your report

Sorry for the delay but life called for sobriety. Anyways this substance is nice, although the physical properties are less than ideal. I ended up trying both oral and plug dosing, around 50 mg each.

It causes some pretty good stomach rumbling/uneasiness from oral dosing. Nothing worse than what LSD ever did to me though. Then if you want to plug it... well it isn't real soluble so you have to treat it like aMT, only it is a lot stickier... so I don't know, it's probably not for the beginner lol.

I like the high though. Comparable to acid, it had me laughing at Bruce Lee Enter the Dragon on tv for instance, but perhaps feels a bit more focused if that makes sense.