• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Opiate Withdrawal.

DonMakaveli

Bluelighter
Alright so I am on Day 2 of my withdrawal to opiates, more specifically Methadone & Oxycodone. I was on about 50mg (popped) & 100 mg Oxy (popped & insufflated) so im pretty much feeling like SHIT right now & its probably going to get worse. No discredit to all the dope shooters that are on here, being DOPE sick Im sure is nothing compared to me. But I was wondering, since I have no access to gabapentin anymore, will Alcohol help at all ? Will getting drunk help with opiate withdrawal symptoms ? Is sober the only way to feel opiate withdrawal ?

Alcohol helps me, but I'm such a non-drinker that I can drink 3 or 4 beers all day/night and be drunk all day. Last time I went 4 days but was drrunk the whole time. Another thing that helps me is Adderall or Xanax. Weed helps as well but not as much as the previous things for me. The Adderall and Alcohol is very opinionated though, many say they make withdrawals worse so YMMV.

Ehh alcohal is an ok last resort but you will feel much worse when it starts wearing off cuz I really doubt your gonna sleep unless you get real real drunk. You are kicking a heavy habit I would go balls out to get some benzos or at the very least some loperamide.

I go through withdraw from opiates usually once a week, I only go about 2 days without them. What works good for me and is a very quick fix is getting dayquil (am or pm). It helps me with my sore legs and the hot and cold sweats. And right after I take them I get a nice steamy shower, it makes you feel like a million bucks! Withdraw is terrible and would not wish that shit on anybody. Goodluck!

Advil or Aleve, hot showers, herbal tea, ginger candy or ginger ale for the nausea, etc., plus the understanding that it won't last forever.

Thank you guys for everything :) Ima try to adhere to almost every suggestion & take a look at those threads. :D As I typed this Iv gotten 3 really big chills n Im wiping sweaqt off my brow :/

I wouldn't suggest alcohol, as there is no telling how one would react to drinking while withdrawing on opiates (especially if it was heroin).

9years of real opiet abuse.
vic, perc, ox, rox, fentanl, herion, suboxen, methadone.
I have done it all and I have abused it all and I have withdrawn from it all.

Nothing helps opiet withdrawl. Nothing. even benzos never helped if anything it made it worse. you may be able to get rid of your anixety with smoking or drinking or downers however that feeling of dying of your skelaton trying to jump out of your body of your skin crawling, the feelings will not stop. You have a few choices.

1.suboxen (this is the only way I can stay clean I have tried staying sober off it and I can't)
2. ween down then off (and just suck it up)
3. Just take the withdraw

Opiet withdraw over all other drugs of which I have tried them all except crack. I will say is prob the worst withdraw because it gets worse day by day. Booze... I felt dead day one but day two I felt less dead. Opiets I felt dead day one then more dead day two. and it got worse and worse till i wanted to cut my self and die, and kill, and destroy everything. the depression and hate built and built... well anyways .. all im saying is either ween down and suck it up or get on suboxon and except it.
suboxon works very very well and you only need a small dose like 2 mg a day. I used take 16mg a day and i weened down now to 8mg a day and im fine I plant to go to 2mg a day. This is after 9years strait of abuse of all drugs but mainly opiets... so if I can do it so can you. withdraw sucks and in my exp nothing makes it better, other drugs always made it much much worse and booze by far made it worse because it made me stupid and made me miss opiets it made my depression worse...

The only drug that might help your withdraw is stims. Meth or something a small line. It will help a lot in fact, I used it before to get off ox. Just don't switch one addiction for another, I never really got hooked on meth for some reason so I could use it to get off of other drugs easy, then quit it when I was done. beside that suboxon is a good idea. I don't rec. drinking btw drinking withdraw is horrible (I mean horrible) don't get hooked on it. plus when the booze does your body no favors, give that liver a chance bro. You don't want a bad liver (from exp) at 28 I have a bad liver, its not cool.

That sucks, DonMakaveli. I hate WDs. Hope youre feeling better :)

One thing I can say is shower. I know you may not want to shower becasue your so tired and in pain but I always find a hot shower helps kick me alive a little bit. Also don't drink caffine I find it just make it worse.

Don't drink, the hangover will be a lot worse. It might be good at the time ur drank, but when it wears of, ull be a lot worse. As someone said go on sub,nothing else really helps. Just accpet the fact that ur hook and go on it. i tried so many things to quite, I would go sober for 10-14 days sober, but the depression and bordom would get me.
Iv been on sub for almost 18months, and its been great. No depression, no craving. No worrying about anything. PLus Iv saved so much money, Im on 3-4mg.

I tried meth when I was WD, it helped, but the comedown really sucked and i just wanted to do more drugs. Which I didn't want to trade one addiction for another.
Meth is even more addicting, Iv only done it twice, and i still crave it after 18months.

Last edited:
Search for a thread called "Withdrawal coping techniques" some good info in there.

Keep strong man, you CAN get through this. There is light at the end of the tunnel, and its a massive fucking joyous light called Life :)

alcohol is hit and miss for me. i drank about 6 shots in 2 minutes, managed to fall asleep/pass out for about 4 hours. but yeah you usually feel worse after. if you are going to consume alcohol, make sure to keep drinking water as well. stay the fuck away from caffeine at all costs (unless its caffine with a narcotic like T3's) benzo's help a lot. i find Kpins and valium the best (preffered Kpins) because they last soo much longer than Xanax. please dont mix benzos and alcohol. exercise helps a lot too. try to eat things easy on your stomach and high in antioxidants. you could also go see a walk in doc, if you dont want your family doc to know, and get some Clonidine. 0.1mg or 0.2 every 6 hours. it helps sooo much with the painfull legs and creepy crawly skin and cold/hot sweats. makes you tired too. if your in the UK or Can, you can also get a bottle of T1's at the pharmacy and do a CWE on them.

Hang in there, it wont last forever. I recently came off 800mg of oxy cold turkey. its shitty, but doable. And it is from my understanding that most people have a much worse withdrawal from methadone vs dope. If your still off the meds, keep going, dont turn back. your kicking one of the hardest drugs to ever get off of. you should feel dam proud about that. hang in there!

also, in my experience, stimulants do help. cocaine helps, but it makes you feel like SHIT after. if your going to go the stim route, stick to amphetamines. i found that a regular dose of adderal will help a ton. only thing is, i dont know if i would recommend it. its one thing to be WDing from just oxy, and stay up doing speed or crank for 3 days "masking" the symtoms till its over. but methadone has a much longer WD, and this might not be practical at all. what goes up must come down.... and you dont want to be coming down on anything when in WD. hope that helps.

Last edited:
Okay everyone, listen up...I read many threads about the withdrawals and let me explain everything you'll go through.
I done every type of pain pill, suboxone, the patches even was hooked on xanax, for years, I dont see much about long term usage effects, very different from someone using for 6mths-year, withdrawling for their first time, long term users can experience longer withdrawls and repeated symptoms. If you are planning to stop cold turkey, listen up, see a doctor first and explain and don't leave without xanax, any benzo's, you'll need them and get everything ready, you won't have the energy later.
First most important, any opiates your taking you need to bring it down to a level to able to withstand the withdrawals, anyone taking high doses shouldn't even be reading this, your still abusing. My wife was on fentynal patches, 100mgs, that's a lot and in two maths got her down to oxy 20mg, the final script we decided to take 10mg for a few days then a qtr pill, 5mg for a few days then it begins.
First you'll sleep a day, maybe even two but on the 3rd day withdrawals really begin due to any opiates still in your system, once out then be ready, just remember that it will end, in time.
You'll get brain flashes, nerve ending tweaking in your face, on your lips, hot flashes, hot flashes last a few days to a week, usually, for my wife and me. The the uncomfortable feeling something eating away at you inside, sick to your stomach. Then the mental game, RLS, insomnia.
Let's start with a plan and let me explain that a lot of drugs are being mentioned on here to cope but in the end it can just prolong your withdrawals and some meds can make things worse, like RLS, I tried baclphon muscle relaxer, made my RLS worse and also, benadryol for sleep didn't work and made my RLS 10x worse.
Plan that worked for me;
Started taking vitamins, right before stopping would be best, a multi V, vitamin B complex, vitamin B12 (vitamin B for energy, nerves) and potassium for nerves also, L-tyrosine for energy.
First started taking 2 multi vitamins daily, with Vitamins B,s and potassium. You'll need your vitamins so your body heals, it helps but don't think you'll feel any different, will help some with energy lvl's and the fact you can't eat.
You can try L-tyrosine later as you feel better, atleast a week before you'll be able to get around.
Take xanax for sleep, try not to take it durning the day the first week, withdrawal, get it out of you first because insomnia will kick in on day 4 and you WILL not be able to sleep...no matter what. I had done this without any xanax and was up for 8 straight days without no sleep until I finally fell asleep for a half hour, a day later got an hour sleep and more sleep as days went on. Your brain has to reprogram your natural sleep pattern, you been going to bed drowsy everyday so its something you'll have to deal with, even taking xanax will still prevent your natural sleeping pattern from coming back so do not take xanax daily for a long period of time, then you'll have to withdrawal from that and to me it was worse than opiates, lucky for me i got off benzos a year before all this.
See Thomas recipe for vitamins, minerals you'll need.
The first week is hard, take xanax as needed for sleep and will help with nerves and RLS, there are meds for RLS which can be fine if only using for a week, any meds will just prolong withdrawals so get it over with. Take hot showers, if you get sleep, stay up all day and keep your mind active, try eating soup, banana's, anything easy to get down, a little at a time. I believe my first week wasn't so bad, the hot flashes, sneezing (will go on for a month due to your nose being so dry) as fluid starts coming back to your nose it will eventually stop. The eerie feeling of wanting to rip off my skin, no energy..etc. As for me, week two was worse, the mental game begins, very restless, I drank sometimes and got shit faced to kill the pain, my wife swears weed helped her a lot, made things worse for me, I did try Lyrica and seemed to help but only took for a few days then my brain was tweaking again.
It always seemed any meds that did help gave some relief but prolonged withdrawals, just because I'm not sick as a dog doesn't mean I'm not withdrawaling, withdrawals can last a month even two months with repeated symptoms which may not last long but can come back, this is why I state, spread out them xanax, you'll need them.
Week one had maybe 1-2mg xanax, week two 1mg a day, week 3 half mg a day. I did save a few on the side for down the road, I'm on week 6 and still feel some restless, low energy but I get better each.
Now with no xanax, I'll have a few beers, rum and coke for the mental part, I'm now thinking much clearer, more active everyday, keeping busy, now eating better, no more vitamins, I'm finding food now comforts me as i now get bored quite easily.
I do not find myself wanting any oxy's, maybe a xanax here and there but I know I need to heal, your body needs to be COMPLETELY off everything, drug free for you to heal.
Do not take suboxone unless its only for a week to bring your self down, suboxone withdrawals are very bad, I know! Most meds listed on blue light for relief may, may not help but just remember, long term abusers (years) will will prolong symptoms.
People mention having sex helps, it does and will help you sleep better.
After 6 weeks, my head still rings some, some low energy, now having coffee in the morning helps, it took a month for my natural sleeping pattern to come back, now getting 6-8 hrs sleep everyday.
I now don't care to get high but only to get healthy, you can get permanent nerve damage from long term usage, your nerves will soon return to normal but may take a month.
Finally done and never have to worry about running out of pills or worrying about getting sick again. Many will agree, many won't but from experience I know what worked for me and know any meds won't make things better, only use for short time relief and get on with getting better, trust me, it will all be worth it.
Good luck everyone and stay clean.

I've been off and in user. This was my 3rd go around with opiates. I been at a clinic for about 6 months now. I've weened down to 3mg and came off that over the weekend. First two days were fine, third day was horrible, the only thing I can find that helps sleep is some alcohol and a sleep aid. Your lucky to get about 5 hours of sleep. But I'll take it. I'm on day four now. I honestly didn't think it'd be this hard after tapering for months. It's a fickle b**** never use my friends. Never. It's the only way to not have to deal with the mental and physical anguish this form of drugs with cause you. You might think how great it makes you feel at the time, but it's not worth any of it. My third time around I thought I was smart about it. Used once a week. Figured it was something I could make myself do. I did for about 6 months. It slowly progressed into using daily, after awhile, not to feel high, but to feel normal. After awhile I have no money for anything, I'm so far into debt, I tried quitting.... Nothing worked. Thanks to a clinic I've gone 6 months "clean" and have refused to get high so many times. And detached myself from all those people. It's hard, really is. People don't/won't understand. Because they are not addicts. I wish this country would spend their money on helping people with addiction and not jailing them for a substance problem. They would get so much better results. But my point is. Just don't use ever and you'll do yourself a huge favor.

fukk the alcohol brah. there is no worse feeling then that drunk feeling in withdrawal when it wears off.

does anybody else feel like alcohol makes RLS 10X worse?? I noticed this

to OP I did CT dope and pills they all suck. luckily i'm not a puker no matter what my habit is so i'm lucky there.

I would recommend getting amphetamines and benzos. All day get fukd up on amphetamines cuz you know how time flies on that shyt. and in WD time stands still. The amphetamines will honestly help a lot, but you must have mad benzos. If you aren't in opiate withdrawal you can get away with not having benzos to comedown and just man up and deal with it even though it will suck, but a comedown in the midst of opiate withdrawal with no benzos to chill you out....well yea that most likely end up with either homicide, or suicide.

I agree, the alcohol mixed with wd feels awful. But hey, anything to pass the time though. Your just about through it op congrats , another day or 2 and u should start feeling much better...

I don't recommend alcohol for opiate withdrawal. A little may help, but in the end as most have mentioned, you'll feel worse because once it wears off you'll be in withdrawal AND hung over. You'll have to pay dearly at a later time for the little bit of relief it provides.

This is what I recommend for withdrawal, in descending order of efficacy:

1. Buprenorphine (suboxone/subutex) - the gold standard IMHO
2. Benzo's (specifically, xanax, valium & klonopin) - but I've taken JUST benzo's while in full withdrawal before and even at a very high dose I couldn't sleep - my body was fully benzo'd out but the withdrawal was still stronger.
3. Cold Turkey (it's the hardest, but best way - there's nothing to reinforce addictive behavior - the opposite in fact)
4. THC (I've smoked weed for a looooong time and being stoned feels like "being home")
5. GHB/GBL (the effect from this drug is likely what you're looking towards alcohol for - sedation, help with sleep, etc, plus it doesn't cause a hangover the next day - quite the opposite, in fact)
6. Clonidine (it helps quite a bit for many people)

That's what I know to work from experience. Alcohol, not so much. You'll have to pay up (with interest) in the end for any relief it provides, and it's not worth it (like a 30% APR loan).

Last edited:
If i were you I would buy a giant bulk size order of Immodium (amazon has a great deal on these) ... and perhaps some Phenibut to help you sleep and relax... I don't know why , but i've gotten an opiate high from immodium a couple of times when I was opiate clean for awhile and my tolerance was low... it really does work....