• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Opiate Withdrawal.

Oxyfen- you're right. I never posted in a forum before and i had no idea how this adventure was going to go. Perhaps an administrator at BlueLight could relocate my posts into their own thread? I am now trying to update daily to help the next guy like me have some hope. I am now mid way through day 8 since my last oxy. WD's are almost gone. I'm just exhausted all of the time. I tried gabapentin 300 mg x 3 (2 hours apart) this afternoon for my leg pain. It made me extra exhausted and ache all over, and my leg still hurt like before. 300mg gabapentin and 2 mg Ativan before bedtime gets me solid 8 hours of sleep now. And that is f'ing awesome.
SomeDude- my doc feels my pain, knows my plan to quit, but he's powerless to do anything but refer me to a specalist or give me pills. The neuro-surgeon who put the metal in my back refers me back to my primary care doc for pain mgmt. they're good people , but in the end it is up to me to find out what will work. That's why Im gettin off the oxy- it's the only way to know if i actually needed it.

Squeaky, I'm glad you didn't take it the wrong way and I in no way meant to diss you like so many others here would have taken it but your experience you are going will help others in many ways. The best of luck to you.

8 days now since my last oxy. My right leg hurrs now as it slways did since surgery, so Im guessing the oxy was not the cause of the problem. However my life generally sucks about the same as it did when I was taking the pills, so i think I'll stay off of them.
Basically all of my WD symptoms are gone except the lethargy. Gabapentin with Ativan got me 9 hours of sleep.

10 days since last oxy. Life is back to normal, just have low energy and sneezing. It was worth every day. Pains from back surgery are more obvious because I'm more conscious. At least I know for sure where it hurts instead of being numb and only knowing it hurts "everywhere from 'here' down". Now I'm getting to the business of fixing that problem.....

Sorry I found all the rest of your posts after I asked how it was going. Great job. Gives me hope. I take about 240mg of oxycodone a day and want to give quitting a try this weekend and into next week. Scared. Thinking of a clinic but I think they just give you a little Valium and suboxone and then let ya detox. Not sure what to do

Theycallmedumb-I'm no expert, but from my little experience:
1: stock your house and clear your calendar. You aren't going to feel like doin' much for a couple of days. And If you're like me, you may be too proud or too embarassed to ask for much help.
2: pick a couple of things to have on hand to kill time. Boredom almost made me give up a couple of times. I spent lots of time on my iPhone, but that gets old after a while. Maybe I should have started a big puzzle.
3: figure out a plan to get sleep before you finish day 1 (without alcohol). Benzos are great. Insomnia+withdrawl = where the F are my pills!

And give yourself a little headstart if you can. I took my last dose at 5am, after a pretty good nights' sleep. I had probably started withdrawing in the night and only restarted the clock at 5am. A few hours doesn't sound like much of a headstart until it's been 3days, feels like a month and all you can think of is how much longer it will last.
In the end, cold-turkey was the best for me because it was maybe the fastest route and I clearly remember how I felt on the pills. I believe now that they were not helping me as much as I thought. That with the memory of full withdrawls will hopefully keep me from letting it happen again.
I feel now like I'm on my last day of boot camp. I'm not all of the way done but knowing I made it this far is pretty awesome.

Theycallmedumb-I'm no expert, but from my little experience:
1: stock your house and clear your calendar. You aren't going to feel like doin' much for a couple of days. And If you're like me, you may be too proud or too embarassed to ask for much help.
2: pick a couple of things to have on hand to kill time. Boredom almost made me give up a couple of times. I spent lots of time on my iPhone, but that gets old after a while. Maybe I should have started a big puzzle.
3: figure out a plan to get sleep before you finish day 1 (without alcohol). Benzos are great. Insomnia+withdrawl = where the F are my pills!

And give yourself a little headstart if you can. I took my last dose at 5am, after a pretty good nights' sleep. I had probably started withdrawing in the night and only restarted the clock at 5am. A few hours doesn't sound like much of a headstart until it's been 3days, feels like a month and all you can think of is how much longer it will last.
In the end, cold-turkey was the best for me because it was maybe the fastest route and I clearly remember how I felt on the pills. I believe now that they were not helping me as much as I thought. That with the memory of full withdrawls will hopefully keep me from letting it happen again.
I feel now like I'm on my last day of boot camp. I'm not all of the way done but knowing I made it this far is pretty awesome.
Nicely done Squeaky
14.gif

Day 12 + 1/2 right now since my last dose of Oxy. I feel like I'm probably done with WD's except for some lethargy. Mostly I feel tired all day, like I had donuts for breakfast instead of something healthy. I still have real pain from the screws in my back and sometimes all I can think about are the pills I still have, so I keep re-reading my own posts to keep me from going back on the drugs.
It is really helping me. I am more than grateful for BlueLight.
Theycallmedumb - today is Saturday. You said you hoped to start quitting the oxy this weekend. I hope you are well. Don't give up.

In a unfortunate circumstance the person I got my meds from is out, I have been tapering and have two oxy left. I am a runner and currently training for my third half marathon was contemplating a full marathon but doubting that is going to happen. I have nothing to ease the withdrawl symptoms am hoping the tapering will help a little once I was forced to do it cold turkey and that sucked. I'm scared sad and feeling hopeless.

Squeaky, I'm so stoked to hear you're almost at the two week mark! That's incredible, considering the fact that you have metal screws in your lower back and legitimately NEED pain medication!!!

I'd also like to recommend low dose buprenorphine (low dose as in 1 or less mg a day total) to control your pain in the future. It'll also act as an antidepressant and anxiolytic in case you suffer from depression or anxiety. It'll also help with sleep issues. It'll also mask your pain. I have a ruptured disc at L5 and depression and have been self-medicating on ultra low-dose buprenorphine for a while now (since I quit H a couple months ago). I tapered down to 0.5mg/day, took a week totally opioid free, then resumed at that dose, and it is wonderful. I know when I quit it'll be a prolonged withdrawal, but I plan to make a liquid solution and taper down in the microgram range when I'm ready to get off.

runningmomma, you're very smart in using your remaining supply to taper. A wise choice, it will reduce your suffering. If you're facing CT withdrawal, definitely check out the Thomas Recipe (it's a detox protocol that uses only OTC substances and stuff you'd have in your kitchen or can get from the supermarket/pharmacy readily). How long and sizable was your habit? There's a good chance that if you weren't using too much for too long, your withdrawals will be minimal.

Good luck, y'all.

In a unfortunate circumstance the person I got my meds from is out

momma, what is the prices in your area, is it a 1$ to 1mg? I have no idea how it is done these days, I have heard people paying about 40$ for an 80mg Oxycontin/Oxycodone, is that about right?

I hope my prior post & question did violate the forum rules, I didn't think about it when I posted it, if it is a violation I apologize to the staff.

Phil.McKeer - thank you. Also thank you for the advise on taking buprrnorphine

Phil.McKeer - thank you. Also thank you for the advise on taking buprenorphine. Unfortunately the oxy WAS working to control my pain. If I can't live without meds to not hurt, I will likely go back to what worked before. Anything stronger than Tylenol risks dependance and then withdrawls and I won't want to trade one addiction for another.
My current plan is to get off of everything (even tylenol), try to deal with my pain through massage or stretching, and then decide on a pain management plan. My surgery was 5 months ago and I should have done this 6 weeks after surgery.
I was naiive to think my soultion started and ended in a bottle of pills. There should be at least a middle area where I try something else. Otherwise I'm just an addict who can get whatever I want because I started with a legitimate problem.

Gabapentin gabapentin gabapentin! Start immediately and 95% of withdrawal will be gone! An amazing way to stop and even tho there might be wobbly legs and the runs... I'd sign up any day for thus withdrawal rather than feeling death warmed over! Feel free to reply but I couldn't live without this way!

Day 15 today since my last oxy...
Still tired from WD's, and hurting from surgery. I have some wierd tingling in my nerves in my arm. No doubt from the WD's. Honestly I want back on the pain pills. But I won't, at least not today. Dropping down to only 2mg Ativan tonight (going to try to sleep w/o gabapentin).
Suntinkle6- I think you're right. I think I felt less crappy when I added the gabapentin to my sleep plan around day 3 of WD's.

Correction- I started Gabapentin on day 6. I was already getting better

Completed 21days now since my last oxy. No more symptoms. I'm now working on the benzo problem. Sucks.