Bluelight

Thread: Therapeutic Uses of Glaucine

1. Collapse Details
    Therapeutic Uses of Glaucine 
    For an upcoming Opiated Shamanism entry, I was hoping to cover the Yellow Horned Poppy and its main alkaloid, glaucine. (Before anyone speaks up, I'm aware that Glaucium flavum is not all that closely related to Papaver somniferum and that glaucine isn't an opiate. Bear with me... ).

Based on some cursory web.research, it appears that glaucine could be a very useful OTC cough suppressant. It's less prone to abuse than codeine or dextromethorphan: most reports from people who have tried the stuff recreationally have been generally negative. Unfortunately, I'm doubting it will ever be approved in the States because it wound up in some "party pills" as an active, albeit not particularly enjoyable, ingredient. And to make matters worse, the quack medical industry has jumped on board with claims that glaucine can "reduce cellulite" and "help with opiate withdrawal." (Hey, it's a poppy, isn't it?)

I'd be interested in learning more about the actual therapeutic effects of glaucine: I'd especially like to hear from people who live in countries where glaucine is used as cough medicine.

2. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Neuroscience and Pharmacology Discussion
    Other Drugs
    Philosophy & Spirituality
    Guidelines for OD ||| OD Standards ||| OD Directory Read Me First! ||| NPD Rules
    Please read the links above or PM me if I lock your post. R.I.P. F28

3. Collapse Details

Thanks for the links!

It sounds like glaucine could be an inexpensive and very useful ingredient in OTC cough medication. It's not only more effective than DXM, it's far less likely to be abused and it has a long history of use in Eastern Europe. But given the way it's been peddled by the party pill and ethnobotanical folks, I doubt we will ever see it become widely available here.

4. Collapse Details

The Non-Dimensional Omnipresence..(While not in dimensions to save planets)..
    Glaucine gave me more light psychedelic effects than anything else so I wouldn't know about using it for opiate withdrawl at all...I didn't found it to be therapeutic in any way myself..

5. Collapse Details

The vendor I saw peddling this stuff as a withdrawal aid was selling at as "yellow horned poppy extract." Looking at the G. flavum alkaloids, I don't see anything which would be useful to alleviating withdrawal symptoms. I am guessing they were hoping the name would be enough to sell it to desperate opiate addicts looking to kick.

Needless to say, there's a special place in hell for people who think this is ethical business.

6. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    I've heard glaucine can be recreational but if reports have been negative I guess i'll just have to be let down.

7. Collapse Details

This shit is really weird. It feels fantastic one minute, and the next it feels like you tried to escape something without actually trying.

Brightened the shit out of colors though...

8. Collapse Details

I have much the same experience as Psychedelic Jay, though couln't go more into detals, the experience being 5 years in the past and me having lost my trip reports. I do remember feeling absolutely fantastic for 2-3 hours, colour brightening and the a few hours of feeling dysphoric (with some light feelings of irritated stomach).