• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

new social media obsession, Pinterest

Fawkes

Bluelight Crew
for those of you that are obsessed with tumblr, stumbleupon, polyvore and any other social media site that is totally addicting, if it's not already there, you should add Pinterest to your list.

Pinterest describes itself as a virtual pinboard. i think of it as a more user-friendly "favorites".

the way it works is, you sign up via invite (PM me your email and i'll invite you) or requesting an invite (it took me only a few hours to be "approved"). once you're a member, you create boards. for instance, i have fashion boards, a board for things i want, a board for recipes, a board for beauty, etc. then, i would highly recommend installing the bookmarklet into your Favorites bar so that whenever you're browsing online and you see something you like, you can easily add it to one of your boards. in addition to pinning your own finds, you can pin other Pinterest members finds by "repinning".

i can't think of how many times i've seen something online i thought was interesting and not known what to do with it or how every year my boyfriend and i have no clue what to tell each other we want for xmas/birthday/whatever. Pinterest seems to solve those issues.

if you're already a member, let's follow one another: Berried Away. :)

I'm always up for trying out these sites, though I rarely stick with 'em let alone do anything with 'em--My Tumblr lasted all of six months and I had three entries. :p

Anyways, I requested an invite--When I join, I'll add you. :) Though who knows if I'll do anything with it. :p

It's easier to write down the things you like on paper than go online to a social media site, in my honest and humble opinion.

^ really? i think the ability to simply click an icon and have an item of interest pinned to one of your boards, have a photo and link of the item in question and then be able to locate that item again with a click of the mouse, is much easier and efficient than writing it down (which believe me, i've tried). you must be extraordinarily dexterous and organized. :) you can also eliminate the "social" aspect of it by making your boards private, if that's a concern.

addictive - definitely add me. the possibilities are endless. my boyfriend actually uses it for music albums. he visits a number of sites and it's super convenient to have a single location to store everything he's interested in. i've seen other people store health and wellness articles and due to your major, you might be interested in creating a similar board. :)

It's not going to let me join unless I let it access my Facebook or Twitter account--I don't have a FB or Twitter account.

Oh well.

Uh-oh. I'm afraid to click and see the site.
I'm gonna check it out! I'm still in love with Tumblr, though I neglect it sometimes :(

It's not going to let me join unless I let it access my Facebook or Twitter account--I don't have a FB or Twitter account.

This is something I hate, isn't that retarded?
"You can't join our site if your not a member of this site" - Read in a deep annoying sarcastic voice.

they do it to authenticate accounts and reduce spam. as soon as you're a member, you can go to your profile and unlink your Twitter or Facebook account. :)

they do it to authenticate accounts and reduce spam. as soon as you're a member, you can go to your profile and unlink your Twitter or Facebook account. :)

But I don't got a FB or Twitter account and sure I could make one just for a reason to register for other site, but still think it's stupid.

i understand your frustration, but i can also understand why Pinterest might want their members to be real people. the site's still pretty new so hopefully in the future they'll create something for those that aren't Twitter or Facebook members. :)

Last edited:
I have been using delicious for years to bookmark things but I really enjoy the simple design and visually based layouts of pinterest.

i understand your frustration, but i can also understand why Pinterest might want their members to be real people. the site's still pretty new so hopefully in the future they'll create something for those that aren't Twitter or Facebook members. :)

LOL... "Real" people.

I sure hope everyone realizes that Facebook gets fake names and fake accounts all the time. That's no point of "authentication". They're trying to become more popular by leeching off of Facebook and Twitter and in return, if people want to try this new thing, they have to create one of the two accounts first.

It's probably a subsidiary of Facebook or Twitter.

^ Or it's a way for Pinterest to get marketing information so to speak on who is joining. When you allow an application (and that is what pops up when I went to join Pinterest--If I wanted the "application") to have access to your profile:

2011-09-21_0638.png

Do people not read anymore?

"Access my basic information
Includes name, profile picture, gender, networks, user ID, list of friends, and any other information I've made public." Most people don't hide that information.

"Access my data any time
Pinterest may access my data when I'm not using the application" Uh, sorry, but if I'm not using your application, you have no reason to access my information.

AHAHA, I just went to view their terms of agreement, and I got a "404 error: Page doesn't exist"! And the "Privacy Policy" link takes me to their homepage. Oy vey!

Yeah, I'm staying away. :p

meh, these things are cool and all. But I would never use them. I see no reason for me to have a twitter or tumblr or anything else like it, hell, I don't even know what those things really ARE. I think my problem with all of the "social media" is that I don't use the internet often enough for these sites to matter to me. if I'm online its because I'm searching for something specific, checking my email, or lurking BL (yeah I'm still around a lot even if I don't post ever).

fwiw, i don't actually utilize my Twitter account, and thus, signing up to Pinterest using Twitter was much less invasive. according to Pinterest's Privacy Policy, you can also sign up by downloading the Pinterest App through iTunes. (it doesn't appear there is one for the Droid Market yet.)

also, here are the Terms of Use. unsure why you were unable to access it AP, but the pages came up for me just fine. :\

sure, spam Facebook and Twitter accounts are created all the time, but it seems like it might take one persistent spammer to create a fake Facebook or fake Twitter account and then a fake Pinterest account. Pinterest doesn't claim that spam is totally eliminated by authenticating accounts through other social media accounts, but that it helps to curb the issue.

Pinterest was created by start-up company Cold Brew Labs:
Cold Brew Labs builds social commerce applications. The company was founded by folks from Google and Radius Ventures.

Cold Brew Labs BusinessWeek Profile

i don't mean to sound like the Pinterest spokesperson, but i thought it was a neat and useful site and wanted to share. if you don't like it, don't sign up. :)

Last edited:
how much did they pay you to post this?

c'mon you can tell us, it won't sway our opinions. (second or otherwise)

one BILLION chocolate chip pancakes

don't judge me, please. i'm weak! :(

this will be a great way to avoid my homework and other stuff i need to do :D

i added you, fawkes <3

^ i knowz! :( i probably would've given them my first born for chocolate chip banana. I NEED HALP! :(

this will be a great way to avoid my homework and other stuff i need to do :D

i added you, fawkes <3

yay! gotcha! see, that's my beef with tumblr - it's a time commitment. with Pinterest's bookmarklet, i'll be browsing Sephora or looking at recipes and i can quickly add an item to one of my boards just by clicking the "Pin It" button on my internet toolbar. no copypasta or multiple browsing seshs needed. :) this way you can fuck off AND get your work done. hooray for multi-tasking!

EDIT: oh eff. i just realized tumblr has a bookmarklet, too. way to get with the times, Fawkes!

Last edited: