• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Why am I uncontrollably shaking? Can someone give advice?

Schrei

Bluelighter
Im sorry if this isnt where this goes.

But I was taking hydrocodone for about 2 months, first month without a Rx, and the second month I had a injury so I had a Rx.
I havent had any more about 2 weeks I guess. And I took one tonight for my pain from my foot that I hurt, and to help a toothache. But now 5 or so hours later, Im now shaking really bad, and feel sick. At first I thought I was dehydrated, so I drank something, it didnt help the sick feeling.

Im tired, and cant stop shaking long enough to sleep.

Can someone tell me why? Any advice please?

Thanks.

(Please dont delete this, move to the right area if it cant stay here)

do u have an opiate tolerance after taking them for 2 months? maybe taking one wasn't enough and now u will need 2-3 to even help with the pain, but i am no dr. but it does sound
like withdrawal. Good Luck - Nicoale

Last edited:
Something else is going on here and it is most likely un-related to the hydro, especially if he has not taken anything for 2 weeks.

I really do not think anyone here is going to be able to tell the OP what is going on with his body, so if it is that bad or continues much longer you might want to go to the ER.

Do you have a fever or any other symptoms? Maybe you have a bug or virus or something.

If you have an abscessed tooth you could have an infection that has spread to the blood which I think causes uncontrollable shaking and overall sickness. If this is the case you really need to get to the ER ASAP as once an infection spreads to the blood you can die within a matter of days maybe even hours if not treated properly.

I seem to remember an article or story posted somewhere on BL about a man who could not afford both the antibiotics and pain killers prescribed for an abscessed tooth so he just got the pain killers and then he died in a matter of days from sepsis (I think that’s what its called when an infection spreads to the blood).

^ I agree - it's very easy to label something as being related to the drugs you are taking, and it could be WDs but it seems very unlikely given the circumstances you describe. A tooth absess would be a good guess given your toothache, but it could be any sort of infection - shaking/rigors often imply a severe infection or an infection that has spread to the blood (or sometimes flu) and definitely need to be investigated out by a doctor.

Unless you are a lot better now, please go and see a doctor and get checked over!

Good luck <3

How much did you take?

If you don't feel better in a few hours it could very well be an infection or sickness, but if you took a big dose of hydrocodone after a fairly long break you could just have a mild overdose. I know those make peopel feel pretty sick and "out of it".

I agree, see a doctor.

I mean it maybe more like a week that I hadnt had any. Im not shaking any more, and finally feel asleep from being so tired. But I havent been hungry today. My toothache is from my wisdom tooth coming in. Usually when I WD I have a bad headache along with it, and I havent had a headache. Idk, maybe it could be that.
And I dont have any insurance of anything like that and dont have a dr., I also have a ER bill to still pay, so going to be seen is kind of out of the question, at least unlesss things get really bad. I also, only had 1, it was 7.5/500.
P.S IM A GIRL

Haha it's irritating when people assume you're a guy isn't it!

I understand about it being hard getting to a doctor, and I'm glad you are feeling a bit better, but please be careful - if you think you might be unwell, and if it is an infection causing the shaking (rigors) then you could get really sick. Keep yourself well hydrated, get plenty of rest and if you have a thermometer maybe check your temperature a few times a day and especially when you are shaking if you start again. If it's raised, or if you become more unwell, I think you are going to have to see a doctor, you don't want to get really ill..

Good luck, I hope the worst of it has passed now! <3

sounds like cotton fever

edit: meaning just wait it out for a bit (it most likely will). if it doesn't get better off to ER

This will be my first post here, I just had to when I read your post....it's definitely sounding like "cotton fever". Do you IV?Cause if u do and your cotton is old you get instantly sick like that with the shaking, sweats and illness...With me when it's happened if i have more dope I do some more and it goes away, if not you just have to wait it out....Good Luck!!!

sounds like cotton fever

edit: meaning just wait it out for a bit (it most likely will). if it doesn't get better off to ER

This will be my first post here, I just had to when I read your post....it's definitely sounding like "cotton fever". Do you IV?Cause if u do and your cotton is old you get instantly sick like that with the shaking, sweats and illness...With me when it's happened if i have more dope I do some more and it goes away, if not you just have to wait it out....Good Luck!!!

It is not cotton fever. The OP did not IV the hydrocodone. IV administration of hydrocodone can cause pulmonary edema. Also, hydrocodone pills have Tylenol combined with them (vicodin is hydrocodone/apap) which would present a problem in itself if anyone were to try to IV it, which in turn would increase the risk of pulmonary edema.

Please read the posts thoroughly before responding.

Lol, yes, effie.

And No, I dont IV, needles arent easy to get here, and I have enough common sense to not IV something is APAP.
Anyway, last night, I took another pill and a half. ( I crush my pills) and had a few beers, and I started feeling very good. And today when I woke up, Im not feeling sick any more or anything.
I did actually take my temp. last night before taking anything, because I was feeling really bad, but it was only 99.2 F, and then when after I had taking the hydrocodone and a few beers, I took it again and it read 96.7 F, which kinda of confused me, because I thought the beer would have raised my body temp.

Thank you everyone trying to help. I am trying to stay hydrated, and get plenty of rest. But I dont sleep much, I can never fall asleep before 3am and if I try I sleep for about 2 hours and wake up. Very irritating.

Sounds like mild withdrawal to me. A fever is common during opiate withdrawal, and since your temperature dropped and you felt better after taking the pill, I would assume it is just withdrawal.

Well, I only have 2 left after today. Which sucks. But what is every ones opinion on Tramadol? I have about 13 of the 50mg. I cant get anymore hydrocodone for about 2-3 weeks since I just started a job, I have to wait for pay-day. But Tramadol I can get free for a little bit at least.

It is not cotton fever. The OP did not IV the hydrocodone. IV administration of hydrocodone can cause pulmonary edema. Also, hydrocodone pills have Tylenol combined with them (vicodin is hydrocodone/apap) which would present a problem in itself if anyone were to try to IV it, which in turn would increase the risk of pulmonary edema.

Please read the posts thoroughly before responding.

My GF at the time had the same exact symtom after shooting heroin filtered through old q tips which leads me to believe cotton fever (always use fresh cotton, old cotton can get musty and grow nasties). If I remember correctly uncontrollable shaking is symtom numero uno of cotton fever (and if you use IV drugs then you should know about it and it's cause.).

If you look on wikipedia it might give you a better idea.

But you are right I should have read more, uncontrollable shaking almost always equals cotton fever. I did not see that IV administration was not involved, or even that it was hydro with apap being used.

Last edited: