• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Am I addicted to Oxycodone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for replying so quickly, I appreciate your advice. From tonight onwards I begin my long break from Oxycodone, I will try the fentanyl tomorrow as it is already midnight here and I have no time to wait for it to be absorbed, so for now I have a glass of grapefruit juice waiting here and I am considering taking 20mg Oxycodone with it, which is only half of my usual 40mg dose and any potentiation I get from the grapefuit juice will just be a bonus, using this technique I assume is better then just taking a slightly lower dose like 35mg right? I just couldn't go cold turkey tonight as I may lose sleep if I do.

Sorry with all the questions I hope I haven't bothered you too much. Thanks again for being such a great help.

It's no bother!

If this is your last dose, I agree that going to 20mg makes more sense than just having 35mg then stopping dead. I'm still not sold on the idea of using fentanyl effectively as a tapering agent, but as long as you stay safe and are careful not to just substitute one thing for another..

I hope you get some sleep, and good luck for tomorrow :)

Not to be urde, but...

There is no question when your addicted to opiates, YOU KNOW as soon as you don't have them, becuase you don't eat, or sleep, your teeth chatter, you shiver cold as you sweat as little fucking spiders crawl all over your body, and if you take a downer to sleep your legs jump so hard you think you we're just fucking shot. So you'll know when your PHYSICALLY addicted my friend!!!

Hi guys, I've been on Oxycodone for the last 3 years to manage my chronic pain. I have never previously been addicted to opiates and I have no clue what it feels like to have withdrawal symptoms or what dose is considered to cause withdrawal effects.

For the first year I did great only taking a 5 mg dose and eventually working up to 10 mg on my second year and I was only taking it once a day and I found no problems skipping the occasional dose or stopping for a few weeks or months. However in the last 7 months I seemed to have lost the plot and suddenly went up to 40mg and now I'm trying to take a break but I always find some reason to take it everyday, either due to increased physical pain or emotional pain. So I keep promising to myself I will stop tomorrow but I find myself saying the same thing day after day and failing at it. I am starting to think maybe I have finally become addicted but it feels more psychological although I am not sure because I have no prior experience in opiate addiction.

So I wanted to ask you guys if 40mg of Oxcycodone taken once per day is considered to be an addictive dose? I am hoping 40mg is still too low to cause any physical dependance but I am concerened if i stop will I experience any withdrawal symptoms? I only seem to crave it at night time around 10 pm otherwise during the day I don't even think about it or feel like I need it. Can someone with a bit of experience give me some advice please. Thanks

Does the Pope wear a funny hat? Yes, you are at the very least, physically addicted

I would suggest tapering down through your doctors supervision (if it is, of course, prescribed)

Otherwise... if you can't taper off through your doc... only thing I could do is suggest a plan for you... but of course, I can't guarantee you won't have any withdrawal symptoms... all I can guarantee, however, is your withdrawal symptoms will be much less pronounced than quitting cold turkey

It's not that it "doesn't count," but I believe that there can be one without the other; I believe that there can be symptoms of physical dependence without there being a true mental addiction.

I was physically dependent upon alprazolam (xanax) and so much so, in fact, that I suffered a seizure once I quit taking it; however, I was not mentally addicted to alprazolam, and it's not that I'm in denial, embarrassed to admit my mental addiction or anything at all like that... I was not mentally addicted to xanax.

I experienced zero cravings for xanax. I never felt compelled to take it; there were no rituals associated with my taking it; I had no trouble quitting xanax... I simply stopped taking it (and that's why I suffered the seizure).

Do you see what I'm saying? For someone mentally addicted to a substance, yeah, they're more than likely physically dependent upon the substance as well and so they'll suffer all of the withdrawal symptoms. But I believe that in some instances, like my experience with xanax, an individual can be physically dependent upon a substance but not mentally addicted.

Hey that actually makes alot of sense haha. I guess i never really thought about it. I would have to agree with you then sir.

Also if you find worse comes to worse and you're going through full blown opiate withdrawal try this thing called dxm. Don't judge it based on the fact that it's cough syrup. It's great for opiate withdrawal and will pretty much completely stop you're withdrawal symptoms without being very addicting mentally of physically(not to mention the fact that you can buy it anywhere so you don't need to worry about customs or the law. Much more convienant) . I would start off with 120mg as a starting dose to see how well that works and just raise or lower it as you need. Don't worry about ODing on it either you would need to take around 2000mg (Drink 6-7 cough syrup bottles or take around 150 pills) to actually die from it. The only thing that happens when you take to high of a dose is you start tripping out and you won't be productive. You should probably read up more on it before hand though if you're considering using it and make sure to only get a dxm only product otherwise you could overdose on the other ingrediants.

Edit: Also dxm is great for pain management. It might even be as good at killing pain as oxy. Just look up the dosages for pain to get the right amount.

Another Edit: Also dxm can prevent oxy tolerance from increasing. Look that up to if you want. I'm done for now.

Last edited:
uhhh when did DXM kill opiate WD?
and considering you've never been in opiate WD i wouldn't be giving advice.
PFFT
DXM as a painkiller LOL
kid have you ever even used opiates?
even I've snorted OCs and roxis before, if you have no experience with oxycodone/strong opiates you shouldn't be giving advice here imo

Last edited:
Also if you find worse comes to worse and you're going through full blown opiate withdrawal try this thing called dxm. Don't judge it based on the fact that it's cough syrup. It's great for opiate withdrawal and will pretty much completely stop you're withdrawal symptoms without being very addicting mentally of physically(not to mention the fact that you can buy it anywhere so you don't need to worry about customs or the law. Much more convienant) . I would start off with 120mg as a starting dose to see how well that works and just raise or lower it as you need. Don't worry about ODing on it either you would need to take around 2000mg (Drink 6-7 cough syrup bottles or take around 150 pills) to actually die from it. The only thing that happens when you take to high of a dose is you start tripping out and you won't be productive. You should probably read up more on it before hand though if you're considering using it and make sure to only get a dxm only product otherwise you could overdose on the other ingrediants.

Edit: Also dxm is great for pain management. It might even be as good at killing pain as oxy. Just look up the dosages for pain to get the right amount.

Another Edit: Also dxm can prevent oxy tolerance from increasing. Look that up to if you want. I'm done for now.

You're supposed to wait a week between DXM trips...

and by trip, I mean anything over 120mg

Dont think of it so much as a physical and mental addiction, which yes they are, but, you are really just medically addicted. I have been in your shoes in particular with MS Contin. It happens. Just work with your doctor on coming down off of it. Thats how I did it. I got sick of having some days where I didnt have as much pain and it could be handled with other medications but if I did NOT take Morphine pill, my body would go insane. 3-4 hours on the toilet, anxiety attacks would be 10x worse, I felt depressed, and restless legs (body really). Your doctor will be more than happy to help you taper down, and if you need to go back up temporarily because the pain gets worse, just let your doctor know. Seriously, thats what they are there for. I have a great trust relationship with my doctor and can get anything I need at any time, whether it be help managing a medication, to getting more of a med, to trying a new med and all can be done over the phone. If you cant have that type of relationship with your doctor because either you cant hold your end of the bargain or your not comfortable with your doctor, then you should consider another doctor. Im not trying to harp on you, because, again, I understand exactly where you are coming from. You have been on a medication for a while, your body got used to it, and now its dependent. Its nothing shameful. Your not the first person this has happened too, and you certainly wont be the last. I bid you good luck! Stay blessed and I hope you feel better soon!

im pretty sure if you take anything that is habit forming for 3 years youw ill be addicted.. and i know from experience that friends taking that as well as methedone were way addicted and never thought they could get off. eventually started with the heroin and finally got off it all -- thank god -

however he said winters were horrible as it would hurt his bones from being addicted.. i thought that was so strange!

LSDMDMA&9950361 said:
uhhh when did DXM kill opiate WD?
and considering you've never been in opiate WD i wouldn't be giving advice.
PFFT
DXM as a painkiller LOL
kid have you ever even used opiates?
even I've snorted OCs and roxis before, if you have no experience with oxycodone/strong opiates you shouldn't be giving advice here imo

Oh hahaha you're even funnier when you're wrong.

http://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=11056

More?

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?27502-DXM-as-an-Opiate-WD-Tool

Or more?

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40624

I can find A LOT more but I don't think it's necessary. Also congratulations for snorting OCs and roxis that makes you're useless opinion just as useless... And yes kid I've used opiates and gone through moderate hydrocodone w/d so how about instead of wasting you're time making assumptions how about you stop posting since every other post is just another rant.

You're supposed to wait a week between DXM trips...

and by trip, I mean anything over 120mg

nah it's really not that bad as long as you don't make it a habit the negative effects go away in no time.

Last edited:
Okay guys, that's enough, you can agree to disagree but please keep personal insults to yourselves, thank you.. :)

sounds exactly like most cases, i think your at the precipice of the cliff and have to make a tough decision. Say, like if you had 1000 dollars, you really needed, gambled it, won 2000, then went all the way back down to say, 200 dollars. you need a thousand, you can take the risk but you could end up with nothing. or you could walk away with 200 dollars, have enough to eat and live till next week. 2 hundred is better than nothing but either way youll feel like crap? does this make sense?

Think of the money as kind of control and pleasure. once you lose all your money, your addicted. because one way or another you develop behaviours to get you thru. and if that is taking more opiates or drugs, then you experience the crazy thrill of going from -10 to + 10 in one go, a + 20 experience, which is the euphoria we addicts chase.(-10 being throwing up every 30 secs, in and out of the shower wanting to die, hot and cold sweats, only warm showers bring some relief. +10 being the peak of your full dose you use hittng you at once.) on a daily basis i think you might go down to a +3 or +4 baseline, but either way your still pretty opiated and comfortable from them to shield you from to much painphysical and otherwise. when you redose a full 40mg, you go up to +9 or 10, but thats only a net gain of +6. If you decide to keep going, what seems to happen is you run out of your scripts quicker and quicker, dosing when you fall down to say, only a +6 or +7. Am i still making sense? your returns now, ev en though your using more, only give you a +3 or +4 experience. But heres the kicker. You run out. you start feeling REALLY bad. Your at -8 or 9, have been in agony for days, and partly saying to yourself "ive had enough! im going to stop" which is good if you do. but if you pick up again, you feel you deserve an extra big dose for all the pain and anguish youve gone thru. The dose goes up again. you wonder what all the fuss was about as you feel normal again.

its really hard when youve got chronic pain that always gives you a reason or a need to take them anyway. Maybe get some trusted friend or friends in on the situation. be accountable to them. If you feel you cant do this, you cant be truthful to them and would rather isolatwe and do it on your own, then i think you have the start of a problem. If you can be accountable and truthful, there is always hope

When I think of addiction, I think of strong cravings, mental preoccupation with the drug and an inability to quit despite the drug's harmful effects to your health, finances, relationships, career, etc. Physical dependence and withdrawal can be part of an addiction, but I don't consider them true addiction in the absence of psychological dependence.

If you're using your medication as directed to control pain, aren't increasing dose or frequency significantly and are maintaining all other areas of your life, I'd say you're in the clear (for now). The hard part is being objective when taking stock of your life and how opiates have affected it. Addicts tend to rationalize and downplay the effects of their drug use. If you need to sit down and make a list of every facet of your life (job, family, social life, etc) and write out the effects oxy has had on each, do it. It's a good way to keep yourself in check when using opiates for long-term pain management or occasional recreational use.

There is a HUGE difference between addiction and dependence. Almost everybody who regularly takes oxy will become dependent. Only a small minority will develop an addiction. I was up to 400mg per day. Now tapered down to 70. I abused my meds and still do, and if I tried to stop cold turkey I'd be quickly reminded of my wicked dependence. Mentally, I have no craving for the drug at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.