Bluelight

Thread: psilocybin vs. amanitas

1. Collapse Details
    psilocybin vs. amanitas 
    Bluelighter
    Mushroom
    hey, i was wondering if psilocybins are more potent than amanitas. Like, would you need to consume more amanitas to reach the same level and psilocybins? Also, are the trips any different from each other?
    ------------------
    when you are miserable, know that im just fine.

2. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    Yeah i think psilocybin is a lot more pleasant experience all around. I wouldn't mess with amanitas.

3. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Haven't done amanitas, but I do know the active chemicles are completely different. Check out Erowid.
    ------------------
    "I shall be a sinful man to the end, and think upon my deathbed of all the nights I wasted in my youth."
    --W. B. Yeats

4. Collapse Details

Psilocybin mushrooms contain psilocybin, a tryptamine which is similar to DMT,LSD and a long list of other chemicals and acts on the serotonin receptors.
    Amanitas contain muscimol and ibotenic acid, which are GABA agonists.
    In the words of Jonothan Ott, "The effects are distinctly different from psilocybin, LSD or mescaline, and may last up to 8 hours."
    No matter how many you take, it will not get you to the same place. Two different drugs.
    Pure

5. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Psilocybes and Amanitas are a completely different experience.
    Amanitas aren't really "psychedelic". The visual effect produced by Amanitas is more like distorted/blurred vision.
    The experience as a whole is not much like a trip. It's more like you're fucked up in a bad way. There will be an hour or two where everything is hillarious, but your body will feel fucked up in a bad way. You'll become alternately cold/hot with prefuse sweating, muscle tension, etc. I tried the Ams twice and did not enjoy either time at all, even during the parts where everything seemed hillarious.
    On the other hand, psilocybes are great. The only downfall is that it takes 4-6 weeks to get your mushrooms. But considering it won't cost you more than $150 to get several ounces of mushrooms and can cost as little as $50, so it's worth the wait.

6. Collapse Details

Ex-Bluelighter
    I liked the only time I'd tried a.Muscaria, never tried psylocybe.
    and I can assure you, picking up an amanita muscaria off the street is safer than what might be a psylocybe, or a deadly variety.
    If it's bright red with white dots, it's A.Muscaria. All the other species are totally diff colours and *thought* to be harmful.
    If your a psychonaught give em a try, they arent a bad experience at all, for me it was a really introspective experience, I could think really clearly about problems and it actually made me cry. for ohers it may be different.
    I got NO ill gut feelings either, neither did a friend.
    We dried them out first in an oven on low heat (read further at erowid on this process...forgot)and pakced them into caps, and swallowed.
    Well worth a try
    But I doubt they're anything compared to psilocybens, but something DIFFERENT.
    [This message has been edited by NiQu3LorD (edited 30 November 2001).]

7. Collapse Details

Flame
    Definately hate amanitas (hate atropine).
    On the other hand i love psilocybin so i would definately advise you to go for psilos =o)
    Abducted by the alien mushroom

8. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Mushroom
    One way of telling if you like the amanita experience is to take out your contacts and chug some drain cleaner. If you like the painful heaving and useless blurry vision, then amantias may be for you.
    My opinion is that these are as useless as nutmeg for a psychadelic journey, and as painful as a hot knife in your gut.
    ------------------
    "I believe every man should be free to do whatever he pleases with himself and the fruits of his labor so long as it in no way infringes on another man's rights"--Abe Lincoln

9. Collapse Details

10. Collapse Details

Damn I wanna meet your dealers...
    Cheapest I have ever seen an ounce go for was like 140 and that was to a damn good friend, unless yer talking wet shrooms, in which case thats a rip at least the high end 150 dollar end of the spectrum
    [This message has been edited by Syd_Barret (edited 02 December 2001).]

11. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    I believe he was refering to growing your own as he mentioned it taking over 4 weeks and yes you can get them even cheaper than that if you grow em.

12. Collapse Details

Weed
    i tried amanitas once before and it sux. i heard u need a lot to trip so i ate like 12g. It sucked I felt I wasnt even really trippn. I felt really stoned and my vision got a lil blurry and warped. I wouldn't recommend wasting ya time with it.

13. Collapse Details

up on the hill where they do do the boogie
    All the other species are totally diff colours and *thought* to be harmful.
    you must be joking. a. verna? thought to be harmful? yes, because it will kill you. a. phalloides perhaps? yep, that will kill you too.
    [quote]I have seen "edible" and poisonous Amanitas growing together, imitating each other, and extremely difficult to distinguish.
    from mushroomexpert.com .