It all depends on where you get it from, if they're reliable, and how the extracts are made. I have had good luck with different types of Kratom and extracts. And from a reliable vendor, I have actually just ordered 1 gram of a Kratom extract. yea, one gram. But of that one gram, 850mg is pure alkaloids. Of that 850mg, 55% is pure Mitragynine and the other 45% is pure 7-Hydroxy Mitragynine. I did all the math and conversions based on what research I found (in regards to 7hydroxy Mitragynine being 17 times stronger than morphine). And I calculated that a mere 3.4 mg of this extract i ordered, should be equal (in terms of pain relief) to what I am currently prescribed every 6 hours for breakthrough pain. The math I did and assumptions I made (as I have previously written and calculated on a different site) are as follows...
Originally Posted by Aeon Psyche
in 1/2 gram of this extract, 85% is alkaloids (by weight). and of that 85%; 45% is 7-Hydroxy Mitragynine and 55% is Mitragynine.
So in this post, I will demonstrate how strong a pain reliever this should be compared to morphine.
so first, 85% of 500mg = 425mg.
So 425mg of this particular extract is pure alkaloids.
55% of 425 = 233.75mg and
45% of 425mg = 191.25mg.
So far we have 233.75mg of pure Mitragynine and we have 191.25mg of pure 7-Hydroxy Mitragynine.
Research shows that 7-Hydroxy Mitragynine is 17 times more potent than morphine, and 30 times more potent than the Mitragynine alkaloid.
Based on this assumtion, we do the following calculations:
If 7-hydroxy Mitragynine has a 17:1 ratio to morphine:
191.25mg(17) = 3251.25mg (meaning 191.25mg of this mixture it is equal to 3251.25mg or morphine)
and 7-Hydroxy Mitragynine is 30 x more potent than Mitragynine
191.25mg(30) = 5737.5mg(meaning it is equal to 5737.5mg of Mitragynine)
Using this we have determined that 5737.5mg of Mitragynine = 3251.25mg of morphine.
Thus Morphine is ~.57 times stronger than Mitragynine.
Now for the rest of our Mitragynine calculations:
We have 233.75mg of Mitragynine in this, we can convert that to 7HM here
233.75mg/(30) = ~7.79 So we take [7.79(17)] = 132.43mg
So 233.75mg Mitragynine roughly = 132.43mg Morphine
So by these calculations and estimates, this 425mg mixture of Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxy Mitragynine is roughly the same potency that would be found in 3383.68mg of Morphine. As long as my calculations were correct.
Using everyone's favorite opiate converter; it shows that 3383.68mg of Morphine(oral) = 2255.79mg oxycodone (oral)
Essentially 425mg of this particular extract could potentially be equal to 2255.79 mg of Oxycodone
To make further calculations easier, we will just go ahead and say that the remaining 75mg has no value and we will just say that
500mg of this extract = 2255.79 mg of Oxycodone
My current prescribed dose of oxycodone is 15mg PO q6h PRN for breakthrough pain
so if we divide our oxycodone estimate like this 2255.79mg/(15) = 150.386
It tells us that there are approx. 150 doses of 15mg oxycodone within this 500mg powdered Kratom extract. So I divide 500mg by 150 doses to get
500/(150) = 3.33333 and this means that
~3.34mg of this extract = 15mg of oxycodone
I just hope that the research papers I read are correct, and that the vendor is accurately displaying the alkaloid content; because if that is the case, then my calculations will in fact be correct. I will post an update tomorrow once I receive my order. But yea, Id swear by certain types of Kratom. You just have to find the right vendor or make your own extracts.