Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Poppy pod tea - experienced - strong

sanpedro20092011

Bluelighter
We each had about 15g of de-seeded medium poppy pods, ground up with a coffee grinder and made into 4 cups of tea using a coffeemaker(about 2 cups each was consumed,probably about 12 oz actually, not 16)

The experience took a few hours to fully manifest itself, but the high was comparable to that of oxycodone (maybe like 25-30mg or so of oxycodone) with less push somehow. By that I mean it was overall mroe relaxing and sedating (oxy can sometimes make me a tiny bit restless and one edge, especially @ higher doses). It lasted for 12-24 hours total (i.e. wake up and still feeling it). The nausea and drowsiness was there at times, but as long as the tea is not drunk on an empty stomach and you can lay around a lot it was really very dandy overall =D. Itchy too

All symptoms were very similar to typical oxycodone ingestion, and the high was very different than hydro. I know poppy pods contain morphine (interestingly, I think codeine gets metabolize to morphine?) and codeine, among other alkaloids, but I would compare the pods to be more like oxy than codeine alone IME.

Noteworthy that I've had tea before from smaller pods and the experience was markedly weaker, but I didn't have a scale back then and it's really hard to gauge the potency on these things.

Overall - a pleasant experience, highly recommend it, careful with choosing a dose, the potency can vary greatly..

& Obviously will stay away for a couple of months after this supply runs out (the addiction can manifest itself rather quickly)...

Last edited:
hey people i just tried mad to small pods ran it through my coffee pot after grinding in a coffee grinder an one hour has passed an nothing.I put seven small ones in the grinder an made like i would make coffee. i'm a pill taker caus were i live lady is out of reach should i increas the dose?

hey people i just tried mad to small pods ran it through my coffee pot after grinding in a coffee grinder an one hour has passed an nothing.I put seven small ones in the grinder an made like i would make coffee. i'm a pill taker caus were i live lady is out of reach should i increas the dose?
I suggest waiting 2 hours before taking more as poppy pod tea can come on quite slowly, unlike most opiate pills. The better way to gauge a dose is by weighing it. I have used 10-15g made into 2 to 4 cups in the past with moderate to strong results. But of course start slow until u figure out your potency. Some people suggest grinding up your whole supply to obtain consistent dosing. Enjoy :)

Nice trip report! Pods have been my mainstay for 3+ years now and still work fantastically.

@Eddydope: A lot of the really small/oval-shaped ones are actually setigerums, i.e. the kind that contain little/no alkaloids. Not all of them, but many are. Check Google images for 'Papaver somniferum' and then do a search for 'Papaver setigerums'. Not a lot of pics there but you can get an idea of what those shitty little pods look like (they're actually pretty similar looking and DO produce opium...it's just extremely weak).

Edit: Actually, here's some good pics I just found of P. setigerums (main difference is the shape of the crown):

http://www.fotonatura.org/galerias/fotos/usr3659/11959248FQ_th.jpg
http://ny-image3.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.162445015.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g23/botanizeme/_MG_7361-101-1.jpg

Last edited:
SWIM wishes to try some poppy tea someday. SWIM has no connections to getting the pods though right now. :( Nice looking pods though. SWIM could always grow own pods...

SWIM wishes to try some poppy tea someday. SWIM has no connections to getting the pods though right now. :( Nice looking pods though. SWIM could always grow own pods...
Poppies are not hard to get. The poppies themself are legal, you can find them at local garden stores or online. The actual process of making tea is strenuous, however.

I have taken poppy tea a few times. It has always crept on me, and has been very sedating every time I have done it. Have ended up throwing up more times than not on it as well. The duration of the drug is the only complaint, usually has me sedated for around 12 hours which is too long IMO.

Poppies are not hard to get. The poppies themself are legal, you can find them at local garden stores or online. The actual process of making tea is strenuous, however.

I have taken poppy tea a few times. It has always crept on me, and has been very sedating every time I have done it. Have ended up throwing up more times than not on it as well. The duration of the drug is the only complaint, usually has me sedated for around 12 hours which is too long IMO.

Great info. Thanks for sharing that. SWIM will keep all that in mind. A Friday or Saturday night when SWIM can just relax and sleep on it may be good. SWIM suffers from anxiety issues and drugs with opium action has always helped a ton with anxiety, depression, and OCD. Thanks again buddy; Appreciate it.

Yes, it really does creep up on you, takes about 2 hrs to really start setting in and effects can last for up to 18-20 hours, depending on the dose. As far as making the tea, I suggest a coffee grinder followed by a basic coffee maker. The temp doesn't seem to affect the potency using a coffe maker, but if yours has temp settings, opt for the lower one. Enjoy :D

Yes, it really does creep up on you, takes about 2 hrs to really start setting in and effects can last for up to 18-20 hours, depending on the dose. As far as making the tea, I suggest a coffee grinder followed by a basic coffee maker. The temp doesn't seem to affect the potency using a coffe maker, but if yours has temp settings, opt for the lower one. Enjoy :D

For me the onset is really quick, I can feel it within 3 minutes and I reach the peak (plateau) in 30 to 60 minutes. I always try and dose on an empty stomach and often use potentiators.

Find the best way to enjoy the tea is to lie down staright after injestion, I can far better appreciate the euphoric and sedating effects, and there is less risk of vomiting or nausea.

I am quite a big chap and have a tolereance after regular use. 60 g holds me for 24 hours, and 110 g gives a nice long lasting high. When I was non dependant, 60 g would give a good high. Those new to pods DO NOT TRY these sorts of doses, and carefully titrate upwards, particularlu with a new batch.

Poppies are not hard to get. The poppies themself are legal, you can find them at local garden stores or online.

Not anymore, unfortunately. There is a huge shortage across the internet as well as stores, and many people are speculating as to why, but no definitive answer seems to be available. Good pods are next to impossible to find now. To my understanding, the DEA is cracking down due to the EXPLOSION of pod usage over the past couple years. Sucks, because I LOVEDDDD pods. :(

I enjoyed a good stiff glass of pod tea far more than ANY opiate I've ever had. It really would last a good 24 hours. I used to dose in the morning on a Saturday, and not even consider a re-dose until around lunchtime Sunday. I'd re-use Saturday's grinds and add half-a-dose of fresh grinds to them, make more tea, be soaring for the rest of Sunday, best sleep ever, then, I'd wake up Monday for work still buzzing, eyes still pinned out, etc.. Fucking amazing stuff. Highly addictive though. One stiff glass of poppy pod tea made with ~10g of ground pods is roughly the same as bingeing on morphine for a day and a half. Even so though, there's something that simply feels more forgiving with pod tea than it does with pills. Perhaps it's the VERY slow onset (no rush whatsoever) and even SLOWER 'come down'.

I wish I still had some on hand....

Nice report. I disagree with your notion of ppt being similar to oxycodone, however. Morphine and oxycodone are just about as polar opposites as it gets in the opiate/opioid realm. Not only is the duration of morphine 5x that of oxycodone, it is also far more sedating and has a more pronounced body high.

You are new to pods, so I feel the need to encourage you to exercise caution, especially with re-dosing. They can get on top of you, especially if you re-dose. There is no accurate way to measure your doses. A dose that produced moderate effects one day can make you OD the next. People tend to underestimate pods because they are in plant form. I have tried nearly every opiate/opioid in existence, and poppies are at the top of the list regarding strength (and thus overdose potential). Also, never mix pods with another respiratory or CNS depressant.

Last edited:
Not sure what shortage people are speaking of, just ordered some pods the other day from my regular vendor. Also, checked to see some other vendors I know of and they were in stock as well. You just have to look...

As far as the government, it's ridiculous - how much money and stupidity goes into trying to "crack down" on drug use.

JackieJones:

I appreciate your guidance. As far as the length of opiates, I agree that regular release oxycodone hcl lasts only about 5-6 hours. But OxyContin (oxycodone extended release) can last between 12 and 15 hours. Yes, pods for me have lasted longer than that (up to 24 hours)....

I don't use pods daily (I learned that addiction lesson the hard way about 6 times in the last 6 years: For several years I was close to the pills due to a job thing so the supply was constant (it was difficult to resist)). Now I do not have any pill connections, but I like to reminisce about the old days by drinking some tea. Usually once a month or so my supply will come, and I will have a couple of days of use together with my husband. Not extensively concerned about the OD, as we use quite low doses (5g-10g usually, that 15 up top was after testing the batch, and really I think it was too much for me..

I have heard recommendations of grinding up your entire supply, so as to get consistent doses between batches, so I think I'm going to do that from now on (not sure why I didn't in the past, I should have, but I guess I wasn't too concerned since I've never even thrown up from the tea). Biologically speaking, the strength would different because of one of several reasons:

1. The genetic strain, location, growing conditions, etc (variation should not be extensive when purchased from the same supplier, presumably if they grow the same stuff on the same field)...

2. Individual differences - there shouldn't be a ton within an identically reared strain except for the occasional mutant (what I mean is that there's possibly going to be that one plant in a few hundred thousand or million that because of a mutation will waaaayy overproduce some component).

That's why I think the grinding of everything together is a good safety precaution to account for #2, and always testing your batch to account for #1.

(one thing I am not sure about is the effect of the pod's age on opium production...)

Thanks for all your comments, have fun and stay safe

Last edited:
Let me rephrase: There definitely is not as much availability in the poppy pod market as there was a year or two ago, and the few vendors that do have them are charging INSANE prices. I remember them being super cheap, and for the street price of a single 30mg oxy pill, I could have had enough pods to keep me high for half a month... :(

Those days are gone now I guess..

SP said:
one thing I am not sure about is the effect of the pod's age on opium production...

Once the crown of the poppy is turned upwards it does not seem to make a difference thereafter (what does matter is the weather conditions under which they are harvested. I have read that alkaloid content is reduced after rainfall and they are best harvested after a dry spell).

Fascinating thread, can anyone tell me if one needs to include the seeds as well as the pods? Since I want to grow these i have kept whatever seeds were in the dried pods separate from the dried pods. But since the ground dried pods have no effect (even when whole lot used in one grind) I am wondering if the seeds are an essential component?

Any advice to this newbie appreciated.

Thanks

Sorry for not being clear, I mean the whole lot of pods were prepared together to mix potency. Did NOT mean the whole lot was used.........8(

Last time I tried to buy dried pods, it was a few years ago and they were very weak. By this point, the quality had been dropping for awhile from all of the vendors that used to be reliable. I assumed that most, if not all of the pods available online since that point were of inferior quality. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it could explain why you're not getting good results. The seeds are not an essential component.

Edit-- I'm not sure about the scene in other countries... I'm talking about the USA scene here.

Last edited:
Ugh, I want some Pods soo bad. Think I might order some seeds(never did try those) because they are cheaper and I am on a bugdet. On subs tho, so I don't know what the dosage would be with seeds, or Pods...

I've had 5 spine surgeries including 2 fusions and have been taking opiates for 8 years. For the last 5 its been copious amounts of Tramadol. I heard about poppy tea and decided to try it. I bought 25 lg long stem poppies and started out with 5. First let me tell u I teach Culinary Arts at the college level and have been a chef for 40 years, so I can follow a friggin recipe. I resurched the process for making the tea and wanted to start off small thus the 5 pods. Made two cups and spent the next ten minutes trying to gak the shit down. Waited an hour...nothing. Did five more...bupkis. Tried the rest (15), plus the old pulp from the first 10 stems and all. Steeped it for two hours and came up with what I was hoping was 3 cups of heaven. Nope...I got a slight buzz but 25 and a slight buzz? Not what I was looking for. No pain alleviating at all. Either I did it wrong or all u guys r pulling my Johnson.