• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Oxycodone insufflation bioavailability vs. oral bioavailability

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo0123yo

Bluelighter
I was just wondering what the bioavailability is between oral and insufflation...i know that with insufflation you feel the onset faster but it doesn't last as long as oral...can anyone confirm this or give me the right information? many people i know prefer insufflation over oral and they say the main reason is to feel it real quick..thanks for the help in advance.

Check out the Bioavailability Mega Thread linked in the OD Directory which is found in my signature.

For oxycodone you will see that oral is greater than nasal when it comes to AUC (Area Under the Curve) also know as bioavailability. That being said to achieve the greatest plasma concentration (feeling as high as possible at one moment in time) nasal administration is preferable as more of the drug will get in right away - as I said though for shorter period of time and less overall will get into your blood.

The bioavailability of oral administration of Oxycodone averages 60–87%, with rectal administration yielding the same results; intranasal varies between individuals with a mean of 46%.
Linky
One of the main reasons as to why nasal admin is less effective (not as strong, although you do get somewhat of a "rush") is that the binders and fillers in the tablet will block up your nose, effectively, and will prevent the Oxy from being able to be absorbed by the blood vessels as well as it would if you had pure powder.
A lot of what you snort will eventually make it down to your stomach anyway as you swallow the drop.

There's also the case, that I remember reading on here time and time again in the past, that if you eat a small, fatty snack pre-oral administration, the Bioavailability is increased. This is purely anecdotal for now as I don't have links, but if it's true then it would be due to Oxycodone being Lipid soluble I think (purely speculation of info I have rattling around in my head in no organised order).

The reason that instranasal admin. is shorter acting is because it's absorbed quicker, metabolised quicker and excreted quicker as a result. And the opposite would be the case for oral admin.

Hope this helped and I also hope it's all correct! Forgive me if it's not, it's been a while since I've read up on Oxy or even visted this part of BL :)

^Oxycodone is not as lipophilic (lipid-soluble) hence it can not cross the nasal membrane as well as it can be digested (taken orally). Eating a fatty meal will cause bits of fat (which are lipophilic) to carry molecules of oxycodone along with it hence increasing the absorption.

edit: try reading this thread in which I cover para versus trans cellular transport.
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/...in-base-v.-heroin-salt?highlight=paracellular

Last edited:
thanks guys, so for example eating a snickers bar before popping a roxi will increase the effects since more is absorbed?

Oxycodone is/was/and will always be Oxycodone. Not really smart. Not alchemy, and NOT alchemical and NOT art, and NOT acid.

Last edited:
thanks guys, so for example eating a snickers bar before popping a roxi will increase the effects since more is absorbed?
Hmmm perhaps. Oxycodone already has excellent oral BA though remember. The effects of a fatty meal are much more commonly noticed with errr I believe oxymorphone? Many will in fact say that fasting before your dose will aid in the high (whether placebo or not I don't know but I definitely like to not feel bloated when on opioids).

^ I have noticed a difference with oxycodone on an empty stomach - may just be placebo of course.. I notice it the most with DHC. If I take that on an empty stomach the effects are a lot more subtle (but probably last longer)

Hmmm perhaps. Oxycodone already has excellent oral BA though remember. The effects of a fatty meal are much more commonly noticed with errr I believe oxymorphone?
Ahhh yes, forgive me that is what I was thinking of. Thankyou for the brain reboot Amapola :)

I take my oxycodone 30mg script orally, it lasts longer and the effects are stronger in my opinion. Everyone I know snorts them though. Many claim they do it to set in faster and get that "rush". I have snorted more than my share and that is not a "rush".

A only "rush" i ever got was from IV heroin and smoked crack. That is a real "rush". But seriously, eat it, wait 15-20 minutes and you'll be glad you did, especially if you are in legitimate pain like me and most others on here that take it. Don't get me wrong, I do pop 2 at once along with a few xanax, valium and somas and that's pretty much my downfall.

Good Luck and stay safe.

Bioavailability megathread

I think everything has been said now, with some added handy science from monstanoodle and amapola :) am going to close this but shoot me a pm if you have any queries yo-yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.