• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

PC PC Gamers - Whatcha playin?

I want to play a newer Gran Tourismo. I'm stuck playing 4 because the newest PS I have is a PS2... PS3s are pretty cheap atm, and I could get 6 and Last of us. Would be worth it 8) Not in the budget just yet though.

'The last of Us' is probably the greatest game I've ever played. I saw a preview for the new God of War coming out, and it looks somewhat similar in game play. I could be wrong tho. And too bad it's only for Playstation. I'm an Xbox kinda guy.

Dark Souls 3, goin through NG+
My character's a thief and it's getting pretty hard now, like a bit too hard actually

quake-champions-open-beta-small.jpg

I've been smashing this over the past week. It's been in closed beta since March? But after E3 this week it was moved to open beta.

It's definitely a throwback to the old arena shooters like Q3A and UT. The speed is very good, the game was made specifically for PC so there was no need to slow it down like they did with DOOM's multiplayer for the console market. The game runs relatively well but I still think more optimisation needs to be done. Unfortunately it's not running on the same engine as DOOM (ID tech 6) instead it's using some older proprietary engine.

The movement feels a bit janky compared to the UT alpha currently been worked on by Epic Games which feels a lot smoother. The netcode probably needs a bit more work.

The biggest and most frustrating issue at present however is the MMR system and queue times for games. The queue times can take between 5 - 60 mins, which is just unworkable when the games run at 5-8 mins max. This might just be down to the current player pool but this kind system only works well when there's a significant player-base (ie: overwatch ). So it'll be interesting to see if they implement a server browser or not once the game is officially released.

Friends finally convinced me to checkout out Playerunknown's: Battlegrounds.

I have to say I haven't laughed so much due to a games physic's engine before. The concept has been around for a while but this definitely seems to be the most well-developed of them. It really does feel like a hunger games-esque survival free for all. You can get in and out of games quite quickly but damn it needs some more optimisation, but that's early access for you.

Last edited:
I am officially addicted to this game, wow. I've put in almost 50 hours in one week. I have never heard such realistic sound effects in a game before.. the way each type of gun sounds distinct and echoes across open fields is mind blowing. The bullet damage realism is also impressive.. one bullet can literally kill you.

The intensity of the game is on another level towards the end of the round.. I can't remember the last time I was shaking with adrenaline in a game.

I have now sunk into the depths of 7 Days to Die.

I originally couldn't get into this game a year ago with the earlier alpha's. It just didn't seem like my style of game but I had an a lot of fun over the weekend with some friends and now I'm back into it. I think it's the creative element of innovating effective traps, structures and architecture to funnel zombies in the most efficient manner while surviving that has the greatest appeal.

Last edited:
I've been replaying Metro 2033 since I upgraded my computer recently. Looks amazing with the new card, ram, and monitor I installed this year :)

For the past two months mainly Grimdawn,World of Warcraft and Final Fantasy 14. Grimdawn is a really fun Diablo style game.

Jumped back on the Quake Champions wagon with the Early Access release. The queue times are WAY better than during the beta, connection is still iffy at times.. there's only two Sydney servers for Australia. That said.. I feel like i'm 15 again with the old school hyper-fast arena shooters of the early 2000's. Get's the blood flowing!

Picking up a 144hz 2560x1440 G-sync monitor next week.. can't wait to check this out on those super high FPS rates.

Civ 6 is quite fun for those who have been playing. Check out Heroes of the Storm from blizzard if you like games like DotA/2 (looking at u DWE ;)).

Well..

I bought Divinity: Original Sin 2 way back in May this year when it was still in early access.. put some hours into it and really loved it. The game officially released in September and I just got back around to it yesterday afternoon. Initially I was just going to checkout the new cut-scenes, animations and how it ran.. 7 hours later and I was still playing. This just might be one of the best RPG games I've ever played. I haven't been drawn into a game this much since the original Dragon Age: Origins back in 2009.

It was crowdfunded by fans to a sum of over $2 million.. the level of care and work that's gone into it reflects the passion of the developers.

If your a fan of old school RPG turn-based games with a top-down view, I would highly recommend this. This would without a doubt be my Game of the Year 2017.

I caught that on a ps4 sale a few months ago. Divinity seems fun but I got really frustrated with how vague some of the quests were, and not knowing where to find people and shit...

Still have it installed, but I haven't even made it out of the gate in the first city yet. Put it down and picked up Rimworld on a Steam sale and haven't stopped playing it. It's a colony builder/storyteller game that throws you some really crazy scenarios to play through (or end your game.)

It's... it's its own genre, really. Here, let me pull a typical experience real quick:

Steam Review said:
Our only doctor, aptly named Doctor, got a bad case of the Mondays and decided to take a walk while the colony's leader suffered from an extremely infected neck wound he had recieved defending the colony. Our leader struggled bravely but without medical care he died a painful labored death. Farter, our brave leader's dog, took this loss especially hard and lacked an emotional coping strategy.

He tore out our cook Herman's throat out as he was preparing his famous boomalope casserole. Sprinkles, the custodian, was the next to go. The dog found our one armed janitor enjoying a beer in the common room. Sprinkles defended himself admirably but all was in vain as there is no viable defense against a grief stricken canine. Farter ripped off Sprinkles' remaining arm and dutifully trudged outside. He found Doctor strolling amongst the palm fronds, feeling sorry for himself and presumeably writing weepy poetry about his trials and sorrows. Doctor pleaded his case to Farter. How could this dog not understand that the living room had been too dirty? THREE DIRT PILES IN THE LIVING ROOM!? How can he save lives if there are THREE DIRT PILES IN THE LIVING ROOM? What kind of kiddy pool operation would make a PROFESSIONAL work under conditions like that? Is it any wonder he had to get out of there and take a power jog? Surely, our great and brave leader would have understood, right? THREE DIRT PILES!

Death did not come quickly for Dr. Doctor. The bite had crushed his spine and only after two hard days did he finally succumb to the elements and starvation. As for Farter, his job was over. It was time to rest. His victories had come at too great a cost and the defensive wounds he had taken each battle were taking their toll. Farter limped his way back into the colony base, past Herman still bleeding out amongst his boomalope meat, over Sprinkles' now armless body, by his master's gangrenous corpse, through the three dirt piles and into the freezer. Farter laid down.

His frozen body was the last they found, behind a crate of strawberries.

Good boy, Farter. Good boy.

And that's, like.. it's just a single day in a typical play-through.

This game has quickly become one of my favorites, if not the favorite.

I caught that on a ps4 sale a few months ago. Divinity seems fun but I got really frustrated with how vague some of the quests were, and not knowing where to find people and shit...

Yeah. It's a throwback to the old-school CRPG games like Ultima and Baldur's Gate where you have to figure everything out.. I had the same initial impression, it took me a while to get into the rhythm of reading through logs and putting the pieces together to know what to do, approaching the game from a DnD perspective rather than more modern RPG games.

I've just clocked 90 hours now and I'm not even half-way through the game. It's just so content rich... plus the turn-based combat can also take a while figuring out the right strategies, but I love every moment. I just get lost in the immersion of the world and what i'm doing.

I never tried Rimworld but I did have a shot at Factorio which I think is similar but at the same time very different. Factorio overwhelmed me though.. I don't think i'm mechanically minded enough to appreciate the complexity of that game. It's like an engineering simulator, really cool but damn hard the more you expand. I think Rimworld would be more up my alley.. i might have a look into it at some point.

CS:GO, ESO.

There's a few other games I would get into or play again, but that's it for now.

Yeah. It's a throwback to the old-school CRPG games like Ultima and Baldur's Gate where you have to figure everything out.. I had the same initial impression, it took me a while to get into the rhythm of reading through logs and putting the pieces together to know what to do, approaching the game from a DnD perspective rather than more modern RPG games.

I've just clocked 90 hours now and I'm not even half-way through the game. It's just so content rich... plus the turn-based combat can also take a while figuring out the right strategies, but I love every moment. I just get lost in the immersion of the world and what i'm doing.

I never tried Rimworld but I did have a shot at Factorio which I think is similar but at the same time very different. Factorio overwhelmed me though.. I don't think i'm mechanically minded enough to appreciate the complexity of that game. It's like an engineering simulator, really cool but damn hard the more you expand. I think Rimworld would be more up my alley.. i might have a look into it at some point.

I'm torn on Factorio. I've never played it but it pops up on my Steam queue like every 3 or 4 days, and it's another one of those games I've read almost only amazing things about.

I just look at it and can tell, I mean I just fucking know that it's the kind of game I'll buy, skeptically start playing and 1700 hours later I'm looking at the screen like what the fuck have I been doing this past year?!?

CS:GO, ESO.

There's a few other games I would get into or play again, but that's it for now.

It's surprising this game is still being made and so popular. I remember back in the early 2000's I would go over to this one kids house after school for the sole reason of waiting for him to get tired of playing that shit and let me get a turn. They didn't make it for Apple/Macs back then so it was my only outlet... Fuck, that game was fun.

That was also how I got into Diablo 2 and Black & White. Both awesome games. I was so happy when the first imacs came out and I finally had an apple I could play a decent game on (my house just never fucked with Windows, somethin' to do with my mom's job way back in the day)