• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

PC PC Gamers - Whatcha playin?

Pretty much only leeg of legions lately (and with lately I mean in the past year). Shits addicting as fuck.

Well, I believe I'm getting addicted to dungeon crawling once again. Torchlight 2 is what I'm in to atm.

I got Shadowrun: Dragonfall - Director's Cut during the last Steam sale and have been playing the fuck out of it. It's a great action RPG with just the right amount of difficulty (the sort that mocks your skillz and makes you question if you can really beat the level!) and the visuals and cyberpunk elements are spot-on. The weapons and roles open up lots of wicked possibilities for tactical maneuvers, haven't finished it myself but I can already tell there's major replay value.

I almost bought Transistor as well, supposed to be similar sort of cyberpunkish action RPG but I also heard it's as short as Bastion was and that's a damn dealbreaker for me. Still, the OST is pretty cool...

I used to be a big PC gamer, but ended up selling my desktop computer to fund a 42" TV & HDD recorder coming up for 2 years ago now; since I wasn't playing games as much on it & all... :D

However, my laptop still has semi-reasonable gaming potential. Last year I got all nostalgic & got Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition when it was released as well as Star Wars KOTOR & Final Fantasy 7. It's great being able to play these games again. I think Icewind Dale was the first PC game I ever bought for myself.

Most recently I figured my laptop could handle a bit higher spec games & have installed Tomb Raider (which was the last game I played on my desktop) & the game I am currently playing, Final Fantasy XIII. Was pretty happy to see FFXIII on PC because I've been playing FFX/X-2 HD Remaster on my PS4 & was pining after those instalments.

The controls are pretty instinctive on the PC version of FFXIII when you figure them out, certainly switching paradigms using tab and scrolling the mouse wheel is just as fluid as it was on a PS3 controller. The only real bugbear is the distinct lack of graphics options, even after a patch introducing some basic ones. Still, it runs pretty well & didn't cost much. :)

Battlefield 4.

I've only recently in the last week or so got back into my gaming. More so because i'm coming out of a very rough 2 year relationship with my ex-girlfriend...

So I thought, while i'm detoxing off of drugs for the past few weeks, and getting over this shit, I should get back into my gaming, seeing as thats why I built my PC 5 years ago.

So yeah, Battlefield 4 is my PC game of choice at this moment in time. I was graced with 20+ 200% x XP boosts after logging on after over a year of not playing, so thats an incentive, as well as playing Battlefield since BF2. I do really like the franchise.

So yeah, BF4, some King of Fighters '97 on the MAME emulator and Some Capcom vs. SNK 2 on the PS2 emu. keeps me entertained for the time being.

Most recently I figured my laptop could handle a bit higher spec games & have installed Tomb Raider (which was the last game I played on my desktop) & the game I am currently playing, Final Fantasy XIII. Was pretty happy to see FFXIII on PC because I've been playing FFX/X-2 HD Remaster on my PS4 & was pining after those instalments.

The controls are pretty instinctive on the PC version of FFXIII when you figure them out, certainly switching paradigms using tab and scrolling the mouse wheel is just as fluid as it was on a PS3 controller. The only real bugbear is the distinct lack of graphics options, even after a patch introducing some basic ones. Still, it runs pretty well & didn't cost much. :)

What would be a good game to try as an intro to the FF franchise? I'm somewhat interested but haven't owned any of the PS consoles and don't have a lot of faith in PC ports.

Battlefield 4.

I've only recently in the last week or so got back into my gaming. More so because i'm coming out of a very rough 2 year relationship with my ex-girlfriend...

So I thought, while i'm detoxing off of drugs for the past few weeks, and getting over this shit, I should get back into my gaming, seeing as thats why I built my PC 5 years ago.

So yeah, Battlefield 4 is my PC game of choice at this moment in time. I was graced with 20+ 200% x XP boosts after logging on after over a year of not playing, so thats an incentive, as well as playing Battlefield since BF2. I do really like the franchise.

So yeah, BF4, some King of Fighters '97 on the MAME emulator and Some Capcom vs. SNK 2 on the PS2 emu. keeps me entertained for the time being.

sucks about your relationship but having time to yourself has some advantages too :) I never could get into the BF or the new Call of Duty games, I still miss CS 1.4 and the ol WWII shooters, the cachet of owning a low-digit wonID, the thrill of going 1v1 against legendary players when they dropped in on a public server to warm-up for a scrim. Shoutouts to those of you with fond memories of CAL/CPL :)

lately I've just been playing EUIV to kill time, the game got yet another great update fixing more UI niggles that weren't really even major problems, but it's great to see this from Paradox knowing that they bought the World of Darkness and White Wolf IP from CCP! I loved the Vampire games on PC so I'm eager to see if Paradox completes WoD (an MMO) or takes it in another direction.

i have such an urge to play EvE again but it's just too much of a time sink. it's really a shame because the game keeps being improved, they just added a bunch of new ships/roles in the last update arrggghhh

What would be a good game to try as an intro to the FF franchise? I'm somewhat interested but haven't owned any of the PS consoles and don't have a lot of faith in PC ports.

I certainly understand your hesitation about PC ports. It's always a case of how much you are sacrificing, they are never perfect & in some cases can spoil what would otherwise be an enjoyable game.

Which game would be a good intro? Now that's a good question. I'd have to say, ideally, an earlier instalment would be the best introduction although perhaps to those who aren't nostalgic, they may seem a bit dated. However they are certainly the best in terms of storyline & overall experience.

Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago I saw on advert on Steam for Final Fantasy IX. It's my favourite game in the franchise & I think a firm favourite of many other fans too. All I know at the moment is it is coming in "Early 2016". I think that really could be the best option. (here's a trailer for it)

Now, other than that, as far as the classic instalments go, I'd say Final Fantasy VII was the next best option. I do actually have that on PC too. It's pretty painful how dated it is, the pixelated characters etc although the FMVs (full motion videos) as always are pretty nice. I can't actually comment too much on it though because I've only played 2 hours on it... Although it was the first FF game I played, that was at friends' houses because similarly I never owned PS consoles back then. One of the problems with this port is the controls are atrocious. The key mapping makes very little sense & it will take a while to learn the controls. Incidentally, that could be a problem with FFIX too, but that remains to be seen.

Then we come to FFXIII / FXIII-2. Visually they are stunning. The gameplay mechanics are great. The storylines? They are o-k, but nothing particularly memorable in either. The real problem with the first of these is that it is painfully linear. You don't get much choice in what you do for around 2/3rds of the main storyline or something silly like that. I don't remember much of XIII-2 other than it was an improvement, but obviously you should play them in order. They aren't bad games, but they lose a lot of the magic of the earlier Final Fantasy games & are fundamentally different in many ways.

I think that covers all your realistic options. There are other instalments available on PC but I don't think they would be a good introduction at all. I'd strongly advise you held out for FFIX & with any luck it won't have any teething problems.

thanks, great response :) I'll put FFVII on my wishlist and see how that goes, though it looks like that was also released on the original PS so maybe there's a good emulator I can play it on? I do have a PSP with CFW and have been using SNES and GBA emulators but some of the games either don't render properly at all or glitch out after playing most of the way through which sucks :(

^ As it happens, I fired up FFVII this afternoon & noticed that you can indeed change the keyboard layout. I don't know how I missed that before, there's not one but two ways of changing them!

As far as emulators go, I guess so but it has literally been about 8-9 years since I used one for playing FFIX. I just looked it up & the one I used to use is still in existence & up to date. (ePSXe) Whether or not it is has problems with the newer versions of Windows, who knows. There might be better options out there.

The only advantage I seem to particularly remember about using an emulator was the use of save states. Handy being able to save anywhere! :D

That said, the games are reasonably cheap & possibly more stable if you buy them rather than emulate. Steam do have sales on the Final Fantasy games from time to time, although you have just missed out on one over the Christmas period! (incidentally, I did too... bought FFXIII 2 days BEFORE the sale... :!)

Anyway, I'm sure you'll the love the game. Either that or hate it... seems to be the way with FF games. ;)

yeah I guess I'll just wait til FFVII goes on sale, btw for future reference you can seek a refund and then repurchase games on sale:

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

The Steam refund offer, within two weeks of purchase and with less than two hours of playtime, applies to games and software applications on the Steam store.

We do not consider it abuse to request a refund on a title that was purchased just before a sale and then immediately rebuying that title for the sale price.

Thanks.

I did actually think of that but had played more than 2 hours by that point.

I'm not sure when the next sale will be. Guess it depends how eager you are to get your hands on it but both times I have seen a sale for them, it's always been 50% of the games.

I've never been too eager to wait for a sale :D Got a couple of games still in my library that I haven't even touched yet

Was Fallout 4 till I opted to try the 1.3 beta update and broke my whole game and mod setup.

Ive been playing Medieval II: Total War a lot lately as the English

Currently planning on telling the pope to suck a fat one and then proceeding to wipe out the Spanish/Portuguese alliance that started beef with me

The Porto faction heir landed outside of London with a butt load of troops and I just kind of waited for his next move because id rather siege defend with longbows then fight his light cav in a field somewhere but he literally just stood there for a good 3 turns before I decided enough was enough and had my best assassin kill his ass.

Right after that, this bitch ass spanish navy blockaded Bordeaux for some reason so that caused us to go to war and I asked France (my allies) to attack Spain and they bitched out so I had to kill the leaderless porto force outside london first, which I did rather easily because I had a couple generals in london so my gen bodyguards basically fucked shit up for me. And the porto army fled to their navy but I attacked it with at least 8 ships and sunk all their boats so literally 3/4ths of the porto army never made it home.

Currently besieging Valencia and hoping the Moors dont attack me yet until im ready to get my generals down to Iberia.

I still dont trust France, especially when they arent fighting anyone atm.

I took out Scotland by turn 6. Fuck you mel gibson

Mainly I just want to launch a crusade and take Jerusalem with a force consisting of templars/longbowmen/trebuchets and just telling all the Muslims to come and get it while I pick off unimportant areas (Cyprus, north africa, the levant) omw to 40 provinces but I just know France is gonna fuck me over at some point.

If I get excommunicated my whole plan could refocus to just fighting the moors and march to Jerusalem through north africa

Idk

This games are pretty cool though

hmm it's pretty highly rated, part of the Total War franchise? Kind of looks like a weird mix of AoE and Civ...?

I finally d/led World of Warships the other night and it's addictively fun. It looks almost like a simulator but the controls are really fluid, you can either wreck shit from afar with heavy artillery or sneak up on villains under cover of smoke in a fast destroyer and strike like an assassin with a volley of torps. So far I've hated all F2P games right away but this one I feel might possibly actually be worth investing in...

Interestingly, a couple of weeks ago I saw on advert on Steam for Final Fantasy IX. It's my favourite game in the franchise & I think a firm favourite of many other fans too. All I know at the moment is it is coming in "Early 2016". I think that really could be the best option.

Agreed, IX was definitely my favorite in the series. VII is a classic and was epic for its time of course. I'd say it's worth a play if you've never played it. I think the reason that it is held in such high esteem is because of the time in which it came out and how revolutionary it was, and how big of an impact it had in many people's childhoods. Also, the soundtrack is incredible. IX though is a massively fun game that I'd give a slight edge to in terms of overall fun and gameplay.

--------

I don't play many video games nowadays but a friend turned me on to Rocket League a few weeks ago and man, that game is a lot of fun. I've become a lot less adult like the past few weekends, taking bong rips and playing Rocket League for hours on end =D

Agreed, IX was definitely my favorite in the series. VII is a classic and was epic for its time of course. I'd say it's worth a play if you've never played it. I think the reason that it is held in such high esteem is because of the time in which it came out and how revolutionary it was, and how big of an impact it had in many people's childhoods. Also, the soundtrack is incredible. IX though is a massively fun game that I'd give a slight edge to in terms of overall fun and gameplay.

--------

I don't play many video games nowadays but a friend turned me on to Rocket League a few weeks ago and man, that game is a lot of fun. I've become a lot less adult like the past few weekends, taking bong rips and playing Rocket League for hours on end =D

haha yes! same for me, a buddy showed me rocket league a few days ago and its so fun. getting high and playing it is awesome