View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Smoking Syrian Rue

johntheman

Bluelighter
Hi, I have 114 grams of syrian rue, and was wondering if it would be a bad idea to smoke them. I only had a small bowl of cereal this morning with eggs. Would it be dangerous?

I've heard of people toasting them as incense, but it's probably pretty unpleasant to smoke them with direct flame.
Also, as far as I know, harmala seeds are not really all that psychoactive on their own.

Even if so, smoking it wont make the MAOI effects last very long.
had a friend smoke it on amphetamine (not a good idea AT ALL) and he survived easily. so.

Here is a thread from late 2010 about a guy smoking them to good effects.
I have never had effects like him, but I have smoked them a lot of times, and they give a good buzz. Mild visual distortion, mild euphoria, very altered thought patterns. Initial stimulation and later sedation. 100 mg of syrian rue is a very mild buzz but noticable. When approaching one gram smoked within 10-20 minutes, I start reaching the end of "safe territory", not safe as in health-safe but as in psyche-safe. I simply am getting so fucked up that I fear I might freak out. And this comes from someone used to breakthrough experiences on mushrooms, salvia and MXE (not at the same time lol). So yeah, not that boring a drug.

Does indeed have mild but real effects as described by Basement Shaman above. Actually doesn't really take much, just a few tokes in my limited experience. Wait till you just start to feel something... it will get stronger for a brief period but first noticed affect is a good sign when to stop toking.

Not very pleasant a smoking experience though... kinda like tree bark or caraway seeds. Bleh.

Here is a thread from late 2010 about a guy smoking them to good effects.
I have never had effects like him, but I have smoked them a lot of times, and they give a good buzz. Mild visual distortion, mild euphoria, very altered thought patterns. Initial stimulation and later sedation. 100 mg of syrian rue is a very mild buzz but noticable. When approaching one gram smoked within 10-20 minutes, I start reaching the end of "safe territory", not safe as in health-safe but as in psyche-safe. I simply am getting so fucked up that I fear I might freak out. And this comes from someone used to breakthrough experiences on mushrooms, salvia and MXE (not at the same time lol). So yeah, not that boring a drug.

Just out of interest, you're not linked to the vendor site similar to your name that's selling syrian rue seeds are you mate? I was just wondering if you might have a vested interest in extolling the effects? Apologies if not.

^ Alright, just admit it Ismene. The scary picture of the "Dirty Acid Guy" you posted... that's you isn't it? You also chase kids who walk on your lawn with a shotgun, don't you?

;) <3

No, it's just that I've never heard smoking syrian rue was such a great experience. Are you claiming it's "worth it"?

Does it really give you "mild euphoria"? How mild are we talking?

I wouldn't even call it euphoria. There is a little physical dizziness or heaviness of some sort, perhaps some might interpret that is "euphoria." Just a sense of all impressions "deeping" or having greater significance. And "worth it" is a highly subjective concept... I wouln't presume to say for others. For me, no, the horrible taste, and the mild headachy feeling I got about 1/2 the times I tried it, made it not worth it for me. I mean if I was desparate for some quick "change of mindspace" thing and had no weed I might. But if I had weed, that's what I would use, far more potent and reliable, and if it's the Kind Bud then it will have such an exquisite flavor and smoking experience, so the rue seeds are not bothered with. But the combo of the two smoked should give a different enough experience than pure weed that it would probably be worth it a couple times anyway just for novelty.

Several years ago I ordered a 10 or 20x syrian rue extract from a reputable vendor for purposes of oral consumption. I have attempted to smoke a bowl of the stuff on several occasions, and it does not really do much in my experience. A slight headache feeling that goes away after 10 minutes. Certainly not enough to warrant smoking such a foul, foul substance.

I had no idea there was a vendor site with a name similar to mine. I got my name from a T. McKenna talk, maybe the vendor got the idea for his name from the same recording. But anyhow. Yeah, there is mild euphoria. I think this would be expected from a MAOI, what with it inhibiting the breakdown of dopamine and all. Whether it is "worth it" or not is highly subjective. No, I would not want to be constantly buzzed on syrian rue. But does the high have its uses? Surely, yeah, it does. It's good for a quick change of headspace, for "psychedelicizing" an ordinary day, if you will. It's more of a head high than a body buzz, though both are present. There is also indubitably a breakthrough dose where the experience sharply changes and becomes less of a subtle buzz and more of an insisting high that you can't just ignore away completely. I mean, you are constantly reminded that you're on something, that's the strength we're talking. It's... unique. It's worth it for the uniqueness and novelty, but not for the actual bodily feelings. I could imagine that it would be cool to smoke a bowl of S. Rue while on Ayahuasca. I'll try this next time I brew some up.

The summary of the effects for me at low doses would be:
Slight change of headspace
Weak body buzz
Focused yet mild stimulation
Feeling of strangeness or alienness

At higher doses, above the breakthrough-, second-plateau- or whatever-dose:
Significant change of headspace
Noticably changed mood, not improved or worsened but changed
Intensification of sensory inputs (music is louder, colors more intense)
Shimmering, flickering in my visual field
Mild tracers
Strong sense of otherworldlyness
Moderate body buzz, heaviness in extremities.
Mild euphoria at peak, subsides quickly

This is all I can really say at this moment. I would be interested in hearing back from anyone who reads this thread and decides to smoke syrian rue.

Last edited:
Last Friday I smoked 1/8th teaspoon of rue seeds in an attempt to potentiate both mushrooms taken earlier that night, and some DMT smoked immediately after the rue. The amounts of DMT and shrooms either weren't enough, and/or were too widely spaced out to have the strong synergistic effect I expected. But, the addition of syrian rue to the night brought an interesting vibe of it's own, and I'm somewhat glad I didn't get totally KO'D by the real power of rue in addition to a powerful tryptamine. What I got was more like the "low dose" level basement_shaman described above. One effect I would add is the dulling of the high-frequency end of the audio spectrum, taking some of the crispness out of sounds but adding a very warm quality to all sounds and instruments-even electronic ones.

I also did not find the the smoke to be harsh or disagreeable in terms of taste, but it was hard to smoke the seeds as they required alot of flame and pulling even to light, and would pop and crackle as you smoke them. Next time I plan to grind the seeds to a flour, and smoking them with on a bed of marijuana ash so it doesn't all just fall through the screen. This will also make it easier to smoke the required dose (1/8th-1/4 tsp) quickly, so one can prepare for the effects. Next time I am going to smoke 1/4 tspn after taking 2.5g of mushrooms, as per Mckenna's vegetable television recipe. Peace!

I recently acquired some rue. After having difficulty smoking the grounds and no effects from drinking the tea, I tried to prepare 4 grams of rue in a similar way one would prepare yopo. The goal was, trying to make it less difficult to smoke and possibly making it active sublingually or intranassally in order to make ingestion more efficient while minimizing things like nausea.

The process went like so,
Grind the seeds in a mortar & pestle or coffee grinder, then added calcium carbonate equal to about 1/9th the mass of rue (which produced bubbles immediately when kneading with a few drops of water to make a dough like paste), let that sit for a day in open air, preferably in a dark room or cupboard(I'm not sure if the compounds are sensitive to light so I did this all at night and kept it in the dark to be safe), then regrind into a fine powder when it's dry.

This made it much easier to smoke(burning more vigorously at a lower temperature and also made it slightly more pleasurable to the palette). However as I'm not entirely sure of the reaction going on here, I'm don't know if the integrity of all the alkaloids is preserved(both through to reaction or smoking), since 3 full bowls(roughly 2 grams) of this powder in a water cooled bong only resulted in a slight feeling of light headedness for up to about an 20-30 minutes or so after.

Then a combination of sublingual then insufflation applications were attempted (because you know, for furthering the collective knowledge of humanity and what not, as I found no articles about such applications online), resulting in a pleasant, mild numbing of the mouth and throat. However insufflation started with a mild, barely noticeable discomfort, which quickly built to severe burning of the nose/sinuses, increased mucous production, and red eyes and face. I do NOT recommend that approach, by far one of my least enjoyable experiences, however the maoi feeling WAS much more powerful than smoking and if I had held the powder for longer (as I originally intended roughly 10 minutes but probably didn't even make it pass 2 because of the burning) I feel the sensations would have been much stronger. The effects of this approach also appeared to last longer as well, roughly more than an hour after ingestion.

I still have yet to experience any psychedelic effects from these approaches, mostly strong feelings of relaxation/sedation and lightheadedness. As I become more familiar with this tool, I'll try gradually start uping the dose so I don't do something stupid and can let you know how things progress

Also, as far as I know, harmala seeds are not really all that psychoactive on their own.

This is not true. I've had an incredibly intense experience on them, unparallelled in quality by anything else i've done. I'm not sure how to describe it.

Erowid has trip reports on Harmala on its own, too.

Sorry for the off topic, and no offense to you sekio. I just don't want people to believe something so far from the truth.

This is just word-of-mouth, but a mad scientist chemist friend of mine once told me that his girlfriend would smoke straight harmala crystals daily as an antidepressant. I know that he had a bunch because he used it as one half of pharmahuasca. I don't know what process he used or from where he sourced the alkaloids (my guess would be rue) but if anyone is super interested let me know.