• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Reading Neuromancer by William Gibson right now. Book is legit.

I love it when Science-Fiction or Fantasy writers can actually write, which is why I am also a fan of Iain M. Banks and George R. R. Martin. All three of them are elite-class world builders, but what sets the likes of Gibson, Banks, and Martin apart from so many others is the attention to high quality prose, which I found lacking in a lot of the sci-fi and Fantasy I read as a pre-teen.
"Neuromancer, perfect blend of technology and magic, use my rapping so you all can see the hazards."-del tha funkee homosapien (deltron 3030) that's the first thing that popped in my head. I'll have to read that book tho.

I'm reading Firestarter by Stephen King. I love his books.

Gravity's Rainbow is a theory in physics that predicts light, due to different wavelengths experiencing slightly different gravity levels, will be split like a prism when travelling near heavy objects like Black Holes. It arose to try to solve disparities between quantum theory and general relativity. Scientists are trying to detect rainbow gravity using the Large Hadron Collider. If true, it will disprove the Big Bang, a distasteful and unimaginative universe creation theory that creates more questions and problems than it solves.

I was looking around for science fiction books and found one that I thought was about Gravity's Rainbow. That's the title, and it was written by Thomas Pynchon, a science fiction writer. I opened it and found some technical descriptions of rockets with statistics and thought I had something good.

Boy, was I wrong. Picking random books because the title is the same as a subject I'm interested in, cosmology in this case, is not always a good idea. I'm about 300 pages or one third of the way in and it is probably the worst book I have ever read, with Zelda Fitzgerald's sole novel being the worst. If one word describes my impression of the book, it’s irritation. It’s one of those post-modernist intellectual disembodied voices books.

The opening pages made me nauseous. They were about somebody who likes to cook with bananas. He grew them in a hothouse on the roof of his apartment building in London during the Blitz. This section was full of descriptions of banana dishes and recipes. People were drinking liquified banana drinks. I don’t like bananas, especially not the cardboard-tasting CAvandish variety which plague Western supermarkets. The last time I bought some, I left them in my backpack, and by the time I remembered them, they had turned into a foul-smelling black liquid. That’s all I could think of while wading through the opening.

It’s mostly about a guy in WWII in England in a town that is being bombarded by V2 rockets, and Pinchot spends the majority of the book writing about his erections. Although I won’t finish, I suspect most of the novel’s symbolism is phallic: bananas, rockets (he describes the rocket as the world’s largest phallus) . Then he fills most of it with pointless jokes about octopusses, toilets, and sex acts.

t’s full of dirty lymerics that might be funny if you’re high. It might be funny as a drunken barroom conversation, but it’s the lowbrow kind of thing that isn’t funny any place other than at a bar while drunk. Even South Park is funnier.

Also there are lots of references to popular 1960s New Age beliefs. Mentions Ouspensky at least 100 times pfft. It’s also full of technical descriptions of rockets and statistics. He spends a lot of time showing off his knowledge of random facts. I can imagine that many of the references might make the book more difficult for anybody who does not already have a solid background of science, mathematics, history, and culture, but I have multiple university degrees, and to me it just comes across as a mess of random and unsolicited facts. Some writers are good at bringing out random facts and mini-lectures, but Pynchon is not one of them. It only makes him more boring.

The impression throughout the book is of listening to hundreds of disembodied voices. Like many books nowadays, there is not one fully developed scene, setting, or character sketch. He doesn’t bother introducing any of his 100 or so characters and their voices just end up talking over each other. The reader is left to wonder which characters are speakign and when. More confusing, some of the characters are the same person. The reader is burdened with the task of figuring out that himself for 900 pages by doing the reading equivalent of listening in on random conversations by unseen speakers while locked in a prison cell.

In general, post modernist literature does away with plot structure and any traditional elements of the novel. This is bad, because these things are needed to tell a good story. Otherwise, it just ends up being an incoherent mess. The author probably thinks of it as a puzzle he has created that the reader needs to solve. I like puzzles, but not all puzzles are worth solving. The puzzles and the toilet humor are probably why a lot of people like this one.

But it’s the author’s own voice, and he expects the reader to “sit at the author’s feet while he pontificates.” Pinchot is a pantload.

If you want to read stream of consciousness,, read “The Sound and the Fury” or Ulysses. I liked the former and hated the latter, but at least both were well-written. I had to read each twice to get a basic understanding of each of them.

I’m upset at having wasted several hours on this load of crap.

Post modernism in literature has produced a few interesting things, but this one was not one of them. By challengign the structure of the traditional novel, Pinchon transforms it into a personal monologue. It is a 900 page blog written in the 1960s before the invention of blogs. I understand that Pinchot can write something worth reading when he sticks to a standard form of writing a story, but this was obviously not what he did in this novel. He cannot pull off the postmodern style.

Bottom line: AVOID

I'm also reading "This side of Paradise," "the Book of Tea," "Big Daddy," "the Master and Marguerita," "teh Age of Innocence," "the end of hte Red Citizen," "Critique of Pure Reason" (Kant had good ideas but he the writing ability of a ten year old. The book is riddled with his ten page long sentences. Good writers did not do that in the year 1600, and they don't do that now.) and "le Grand Meaulnes." I like all of them so far, but some are more entertaining than others which is why I skip around between titles.

oh, I'm sorry you didn't like it. I loved Gravity's Rainbow. It's very involved, and has an impossible amount of characters, but is so worth it. Full of symbolism, mostly revolving around the rocket.

The Count of Monte Cristo, for the second time. Amazing book, probably my favourite "French Epic" of all time. I'll write a synopsis when I've finished it. Glad my drive's returned, I have to read and write and awful lot on the go, so conquering this in my free time is encouraging :)

The Count of Monte Cristo, for the second time. Amazing book, probably my favourite "French Epic" of all time. I'll write a synopsis when I've finished it. Glad my drive's returned, I have to read and write and awful lot on the go, so conquering this in my free time is encouraging :)

You'll really enjoy! I did my 2nd read of it earlier this year (or was it last year?) - LOVED it.

Then I read Vicomte de Bragelonne, and I'm sure I won't read it again, and will probably avoid the musketeer trilogy like the plague.

oh, I'm sorry you didn't like it. I loved Gravity's Rainbow. It's very involved, and has an impossible amount of characters, but is so worth it. Full of symbolism, mostly revolving around the rocket.

Also, socko, I should inform you that you'll thank me if you stop reading it ASAP. After the "story" is over, there's some epilogues about rockets and stuff. It'll probably bore you to tears to get through the whole thing. I liked it, but can easily see the tediousness of reading it for someone who didn't find it as fascinating as I did.

Also, socko, I should inform you that you'll thank me if you stop reading it ASAP. After the "story" is over, there's some epilogues about rockets and stuff. It'll probably bore you to tears to get through the whole thing. I liked it, but can easily see the tediousness of reading it for someone who didn't find it as fascinating as I did.

Indeed. Pynchon is very much a love it or hate it sort of thing.

I think that now is as good a time as any to highlight the difference between objective and subjective quality. I get a little triggered when I see people on message boards attempting to formulate objective arguments in order to justify their subjective opinions.

If you read and dislike a novel that is nearly universally acclaimed by literary experts across professions and perspectives, just say you disliked it, and state your admittedly subjective case for disliking it. There is no rule that says you have to like something just because critics and lit professors do, but you do have to respect it. Stop trying to objectively tear down what you are not qualified to comment on.

Of course, there are exceptions where critics or academia simply have their head up their ass, and as such one's taste should not be dictated purely by how elites perceive it should be, but generally when novels stand up to scrutiny and the test of time the way Gravity's Rainbow has, then there is definitiely some objective quality there one has to consider no matter how much they disliked it.

It's OK to simply not like something. I fucking hated The Great Gatsby, even though it is often considered one of the top 5 works of the 20th century.

I fucking hated The Great Gatsby

Me too. It's quite awful and I don't see any redeeming factors about it, unless you value non-pharmacological sleep aid alternatives. 8(

I never got past chapter 1 of Infinite Jest. I should give it another shot, but I have a stinking suspicion it's just wasted time and I might as well just continue on with The Idiot.

I'm on part II of The Idiot :)

Coincidentally I was listening to two (quite different styled) podcasts this past month, on 'The Idiot'. :)
Obvious spoilers, if you're not finished but ill leave here incase you're interested.
BBC
Partially Examined Life
Interesting Novel...remember it much clearer than War and Peace (which deserves another re-read, when/if I ever I finish with academic readings:p)

Coincidentally I was listening to two (quite different styled) podcasts this past month, on 'The Idiot'. :)
Obvious spoilers, if you're not finished but ill leave here incase you're interested.
BBC
Partially Examined Life
Interesting Novel...remember it much clearer than War and Peace (which deserves another re-read, when/if I ever I finish with academic readings:p)

I won't click because I'm so anti-spoiler it's ridiculous.

And at the moment I have postponed reading more on it so I can focus on editing my novel. On pg. 258 of 914 8( 640,254 words

I make the same few mistakes over and over again, and it's mostly within dialogue but I still wish to clean it up 8( <ocd>

Naturally not, no spoiling! ;)

Writing a Novel is no easy feat - kudos! Best of luck with it...look forward to seeing a link to it, in the future, CH :)