• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

Re-reading Capital by Karl Marx to strengthen my understanding of Marxist ideology.

^Check out Frankfurt School writings for some fun post-Marxism :)

Definitely definitely definitely want to read Gravity’s Rainbow someday.

How does it look? A lot of the mindfulness stuff on addiction I come across isn?t worth the paper it is written on, but I need to explore that subspecies of McMindfulness :)

it looks rather comprehensive and boring.

however, my knowledge of mindfulness doesn't extend far past 'focus on what you're doing right now' so probably not the best person to judge.

almost 100 pages into The Revenant

^^This book is an action-packed thriller without a dull page!! 4 stars

minor spoiler below
NSFW:
this could have been a five-star book if not for the prosaic writing and the Sopranos-esque-blueball ending :p

Last edited:
9780349121703-700x700.jpg

Just started this and I'm excited but fear it can not compare to his first.

hey nsa good to see you! books im reading because i cant get to the library.

11/22/63 by Stephen King...hands down in the top 5 I've ever read, also working on "Everything's Eventual" by King as well

9780349121703-700x700.jpg

Just started this and I'm excited but fear it can not compare to his first.

I've heard it stated this book is so bad that it actually ruins his first one. I would prefer not to read it.

Best place to start with Thomas Pynchon is either V. or The Crying of Lot 49, from what I am told. I've only read V. and Vineland thus far, plan on getting to the rest eventually.

Anyone else into Dan Brown? My personal fave is the lost symbol

Finished "Everything's Eventual," now I'm about a 1/4 the way through "The Tommyknockers."

It is friggin' wild ya'll, these townsfolk go crazy

Currently reading 'Love, Nina' by Nina Stibbe

I watched the dramatisation of the book over a year ago, then happened to spot the actual book when I was at the library with my kid & got it out (I never usually get library books for myself as I have a massive backlog of books I've been given & not read on my bookshelves, plus I can barely get through the weekly newspaper in a month & I get bad read-guilt combined with book committal resentment)

I've usually watched dramatisations of books after I've read them & have often been sorely disappointed & wondered if the book would be a bit disappointing as I already knew the basic story, but no, I'm loving it, really funny & more enjoyable for being a compilation of actual letters the author sent her Sister, rather than a work of fiction

Recent highlights:

Restless Souls by Dan Sheehan - Book about 3 Irish buddies that go on a road trip to help one of them get over his PTSD. Alternates between present day Ireland and 90's Sarajevo. Really funny and sad, and the Sarajevo scenes are very good.

The Neighborhood by Mario Vargas Llosa - Set in 90's Peru, deals with the corruption and dangers of the time and place, and is also quite titillating in parts.

The Blinds by Adam Sternbergh - Community of criminals/innocents that have had their memories wiped in and live in the middle of nowhere, West Texas. Of course, shit happens.

Don't Skip Out on Me by Willy Vlautin - beautiful but oh-so-sad book about a kid from the Nevada highlands that leaves the (adopted) family ranch to follow his dream of becoming a champion (mexican) boxer.