• ✍️ WORDS ✍️

Welcome Guest!

• Words Moderators: Mysterier

Social What are you currently reading?

uk-digging-up-mother.jpg

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

I'm sure many of you have read it. I read it back in 11th grade and decided it was time for another run, as it had been many years. Made it through half the book in one run today.

Edit: Finished it after just three sessions of continuous reading. I've heard many people comment that, "Isn't that a children's book?" Well, if it is, it's got some adult ass themes. To me the book is timeless, anyone can read it. Heck, when you're older, you'll probably get more out of it.

Last edited:
Yesterday I began and finished reading The Death of Ivan Ilych by Leo Tolstoy. Probably the best short story I've ever read.

Still reading The Better Angels of Our Nature prodigious, perspicacious, palatial, promulgation..

out of town and my buddy's library book, but found Lolita: A Janus Text. it's a look back at the phenomenon of Lolita, focusing on the decade's of literary criticism that resulted. touches on the pop culture that resulted as well. even though the author is a little self-protective and moralist in his argument, "Yet we should always be aware that no one can and no one should defend his [HH's] behavior--in spite of the fact he's intent on trying to defend himself" (43).

but he reads past the the surface and understand the true, basic plot of Lolita, "He [HH] steals Lolita's anatomy, early life, and autonomy, first isolating her from children and adults to such an extent and for suh periods of time the she feels 'she had absolutely no where to go' [lolita's mother, father, and brother all die untimely deaths] but to Humbert's bed, and then methodically chipping away at her will power until she 'sobs in the night--every night--the moment I [HH] feigned sleep." (44)

he's delving further into the obvious and citing plenty of previous criticism all over the spectrum. but i like the above quote cutting to the chase while using direct references. i'm excited to finish the rest of the bool/essay/whatever.

also prompted me to pic up book one of some proust book the writer mentions.

Read a bunch of Sam Harris books:

- The End of Faith
- Free will
- Lying
- Waking up

All worth a read :)

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

I'm sure many of you have read it. I read it back in 11th grade and decided it was time for another run, as it had been many years. Made it through half the book in one run today.

Edit: Finished it after just three sessions of continuous reading. I've heard many people comment that, "Isn't that a children's book?" Well, if it is, it's got some adult ass themes. To me the book is timeless, anyone can read it. Heck, when you're older, you'll probably get more out of it.

I love that book and many of the sequels. When my son was in 6th grade and could read beyond grade level (but wouldn't) his teacher suggested that book. He started reading it and I bought a copy so that I could talk to him about it. We both got so into it that we bought the whole series. As I remember it was about 7 books total. What blows my mind about that book is that it was written when it was--way before computer games became what they are (and little boys playing them became as skilled as they did) and all the stuff about the caliphate. Just very interesting.

I have been toying with going back and reading it again as well.

Right now I just finished I am about to start two books for my book group--Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance and Darling Days bu iO Tillett Wright.

"This sort of metamorphic and imagistic resonances invites the reader to conceive Dolly as more than just on flesh-and-blood girl. Nabakov's disgust with the term aside, we might make the argument that her character approaches something akin to a symbol ..." (67)

i'd argue just the opposite; dolores haze is the true protagonist in Lolita. but the novel can be read on many levels, and i see what the author is talking about. again, comparing the character to moby-dick.

"Dolly's romantic aspirations to strike out for Hollywood and the possibility of a spectacular life there have gone way of the blue mist."

The Road, Cormac McCarthy. Bleak , brutal and at times painful to read yet the overwhelming sense of love and hope whispers within the pages.

Vicomte de Bragelonne by Alexandre Dumas

I'm loving it thus far. Started it yesterday, and am on chapter 10.

I love that book and many of the sequels. When my son was in 6th grade and could read beyond grade level (but wouldn't) his teacher suggested that book. He started reading it and I bought a copy so that I could talk to him about it. We both got so into it that we bought the whole series. As I remember it was about 7 books total. What blows my mind about that book is that it was written when it was--way before computer games became what they are (and little boys playing them became as skilled as they did) and all the stuff about the caliphate. Just very interesting.

I have been toying with going back and reading it again as well.

Right now I just finished I am about to start two books for my book group--Hillbilly Elegy by J.D. Vance and Darling Days bu iO Tillett Wright.

I've only read two out of the series, but hold each very dear to my mind/heart. I was in a very similar situation as your son herby, and that book was very good at the time.

They do have some very adult themes and many that have come and are coming true today.

Currently reading Romans - Volume 3: Micromegas by Voltaire

Satan an Autobiography by Yehuda Berg. It's my third time reading it, as it's one of my favorites.